Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for James Hinkley

Real Name James Hinkley   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname vacs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2000, 12:18
Total Comments 1020 (Pro)
User ID 5517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: Book Three Thursday
2. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: Book Three Thursday Jun 23, 2015, 22:17 vacs

Was wondering that myself. I guess (hope) they calculated the budget they got through from kickstarter to last throughout 5 chapters.

I'm almost done with chapter 2 and enjoying the game quite a bit so far.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Teased
12. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Teased Jun 11, 2015, 05:42 vacs

Krodge wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 21:15:
I liked the last one.
But I do wish they had gone with old school level design instead of a Serious Sam / Painkiller style game.

agreed, I loved the new one but I do would have also preferred level design a bit more like the original one. There was just something I can't quantify about those build-based games like dn3d, blood and shadow warrior, you really felt that the level designer had fun building the maps...

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
16. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 10:26 vacs

Darks wrote on May 19, 2015, 09:54
uestion for you guys who are using game-works. Its installed on my pc, but I don't run my games through it. do you still get the benefit of the games being optimized even if you don't run games from game works? [/quote:

There is nothing to install, it's included in the drivers.. You are most probably confusing Gameworks with the nvidia geforce experience tool.

If a game supports gameworks, you will profit of those optimizations automatically if you own a nvidia card. Basically you cannot choose to NOT use them.

nvidia GeForce Experience = tool to optimize game graphical settings
nvidia Gameworks = libraries to optimize game code

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 6, 2015, 02:46 vacs

Slick wrote on May 5, 2015, 22:37:
so is my 980 GTX capable of handling all DX12 specifications or not? they started asking that question, and then didn't really answer it, at least not that i saw.

That question has already been answered months ago. The last few GPU generations are DX12 compatible and will be able to use most of the new DX12 software features (especially the increased performance) but some other features which are hardware based and not available on your GPU, will obviously not work.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer
24. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer Apr 28, 2015, 16:25 vacs

Does anyone know if JC3 supports 3D Vision out of the box?  

News Comments > Alan Wake 2 Prototype Video
8. Re: Alan Wake 2 Prototype Video Apr 21, 2015, 03:29 vacs

nice video, now please start a kickstarter project, I really enjoyed the first game.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 21, 2015, 05:14 vacs

IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 22:43:
Wallshadows wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 10:12:
Doesn't matter. Within a day, there will be some kind of crack released anyway.
I guarantee the crack is infected. 100% guaranteed.

The original Windows Lxxder is still the only crack working 100% and at the same time being 100% clean... unless you download it from a fishy website, like almost all of the present download links. It's very hard to find the original, clean version of it but it exists

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2015, 13:31 vacs

Just wondering, what are the actual prices per month in the US?

Here in Europe you get fiber 100 Mbit/s for 60€, 200 Mbit/s for 70€ and 1000 Mbit/s for 150€ (upload is always half of it and flatrate the standard).

The cheapest would 35€ for 8 Mbit/s which is normal DSL but still flatrate.

All connections, at least in my country, are almost 100% stable and no drops are noticeable.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 22:35 vacs

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 20:46:
Irregardless isn't a word, and I think you meant "goggles." ;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless (The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however.)

I however stand corrected with "goggles"

So let's wait for the released product and see how Valve fools the affected motion sick people by displaying images of rollercosters, flying in space with the speed of light or driving around a race track while sitting in a chair and believe they may have found a solution to a physiological problem

It might still work with a fishing simulator though, probably that's the game they tested!

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 16:09 vacs

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 15:03:
You've not heard anything about the controllers it comes with right? Or maybe they're optional, but whatever. I bet that would go a long way toward solving the second type. If your hands are moving, and you see them moving in-game, it's going to help you feel a lot more connected to the visuals. I don't think it's that far-fetched.

The problem cannot possibly be solved with any visual aid.
The vestibular system feels if your body is accelerating, decelerating or standing still. If your position doesn't change but your visual organ sees you moving, your brain gets confused and some people will get motion sick, irregardless of what visual aids or other tricks the googles play on you.

The issue is the contradicting information your brain gets, not the lack of realism of the graphics!

The lag problem can be fixed or at least greatly reduced by increasing the VR helmet's response time, I believe Valve is at least on the right track with this part of motion sickness inducing.

And there is actually a third kind of motion sickness, which again has mostly has been solved with OR and probably Valve's solution: A minor group of people simply cannot get used to this forced 3D viewing, the convergence of the 3D image as also the forced focus doesn't fit everyone... but at least this can be solved purely by optimizing the software and the visuals.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2015, 16:14.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 vacs

loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 11:45:
NKD wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:54:
LurkerLito wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 10:13:
Newell: SteamVR headset has 0% motion sickness rate.
I call BS.

Yeah, definitely BS.

the only definite here is that you two goons definitely don't know if this is BS or not

No, they are right. There are two different type of VR motion sickness people: Those who get affected because there is slight lag between the movement of your head and the corresponding image showing up and those who get motion sick because they watch a video of the whole body moving around but in reality they are standing still (or sitting).

There is quite a lot info on this from the Oculus Rift people.

Whatever improvements Steam VR googles have included, they can only get rid of the first type of motion sickness, never the second.

In that respect, Newell's statement is pure marketing (and quite a bit of BS)

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 18:08 vacs

What's all this talk about improving boot times? Are you guys booting like 30 times a day that it matters at all?

I boot my computer once a day and I really couldn't care less whether it takes 20 or 30 seconds to see my desktop because I need 60 seconds to get my coffee ready before I start to work on my PC... Seriously guys, first world problems

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2015, 06:51 vacs

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 05:05:
Read an article linked from the link. Just an antibody test for HIV and Syphilis. USELESS.

This tests are not only useless but above all extremely dangerous.

Uninformed people (the social class where HIV actually is an issue) believe these tests can prove whether or not a person is infected with HIV but in reality, the only indicate if the virus is active or not in one person's blood.

Even if the result is negative, the person can still be infected and spread the disease easily and this up to one month after the initial infection (as correctly stated by Agent.X7)... very dangerous test indeed.

This dongle should be forbidden to be sold because it will actually increase HIV wide-spreading instead of fighting it.

News Comments > New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored
2. Re: New Condemned Game Possibilities Explored Feb 2, 2015, 10:15 vacs

yeah, but please first port the second game to the PC or I will not be interested in this one, as I'm missing the story of the second one.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Released
8. Re: Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 17:20 vacs

Xero wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 16:31:
Is Alien Isolation worth the buy? I'm not looking at any DLC content, just the base game. Is it honestly worth it? I've been on the fence but do enjoy the Alien universe.

AI is my definite GOTY for 2014... actually I became one of my favorite games of all time. I've been completely overwhelmed by this game and I had high expectations.

Very rarely did a game suck me in the way AI did. Amazing sci-fi, survival horror game, with 3D vision the most immersive and impressive graphics I have ever experienced, unbelievable sound effects and extremely well designed maps. Never has a game been so close to the movie counterpart, this IS the ultimate Alien (1) experience.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 20, 2014, 04:28 vacs

Like most tools like this one, they actually do more harm than help. I personally avoid this programs, especially the registry cleaner part...  

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris & Soundtrack Released
3. Re: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris & Soundtrack Released Dec 8, 2014, 22:54 vacs

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 22:09:
vacs wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 21:54:
Normally I would have bought this one straight away, but presently I'm boycotting all Square Enix games because they though it would be a great idea to make the other Tomb Raider game a Xbone exclusive..

So it's not because you are a priest, of the Temple of Syrinx?

Partly, but because today is Friday and the moon is standing too high in the sky, I honestly cannot take this as an excuse

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris & Soundtrack Released
1. Re: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris & Soundtrack Released Dec 8, 2014, 21:54 vacs

Normally I would have bought this one straight away, but presently I'm boycotting all Square Enix games because they though it would be a great idea to make the other Tomb Raider game a Xbone exclusive..  

News Comments > Black Friday Tech Bits
3. Re: Black Friday Tech Bits Nov 28, 2014, 19:08 vacs

VLC does also have native MKV and FLAC since ever  

News Comments > Cliff Martinez Writing Far Cry 4 Music
9. Re: Cliff Martinez Writing Far Cry 4 Music Nov 4, 2014, 07:01 vacs

NKD wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:52:
Composer who did Drive? Niiice.

Not exactly. He wrote only part of the soundtrack, namely the background, ambient soundtrack of the movie. The more popular, worth mentioning tracks were composed by other guys.

Especially the successful song "Nightcall" by the French DJ Kavinski or "Under The Spell" by Desire.

Having said that, I not trying to downplay Cliff's work at all but the work he did for Drive was in the end only a standard soundtrack you would expect from such a production.

1020 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo