Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Donald

Real Name Donald   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Golwar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Golwar is also my ID at Steam & PSN.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 24, 2009, 00:30
Total Comments 606 (Apprentice)
User ID 55169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2013, 08:02 Golwar

It always baffles me when the kind of logic is mentioned that we are violent creatures, so why care about violence in our environment at all?

It is true that games surely ain't the major factor or reason for gun violence. But does anyone really doubt that they have no impact on the youth at all? Not even the slightest?

I've always been opposed to hyper-realism in shooters or extra over the top brutality in games to add some spice. If that is all that makes a game special enough to appeal gamers, than there is something going wrong.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Expansion, DLC, and Patch Released
5. Re: Crusader Kings II Expansion, DLC, and Patch Released Jan 16, 2013, 08:30 Golwar

By all means, buy the Buy Europa Universalis III Chronicles. Not the Complete Edition, that lacks the last 2 addons.

I have my doubts about EU IV. Those individual national ideas could cause more harm than do good imho. And that practically everything depends on monarch power seems also odd. Either in historical context as well as for balancing. Other things as the trade routes for example, seem excellent.

So I expect that EU IV will require some time till it will be great too.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Expansion, DLC, and Patch Released
2. Re: Crusader Kings II Expansion, DLC, and Patch Released Jan 15, 2013, 19:17 Golwar

Ah, I still consider EU3 to be better. But CK is certainly entertaining and has several advantages.  

News Comments > Play.com Leaving Retail
11. Re: Play.com Leaving Retail Jan 10, 2013, 20:33 Golwar

Shteve wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 08:48:
Actually most of Play's customer went to Amazon years ago. Amazon do charge VAT, but dodge most other taxes - Creston's end result is likely correct.

Ahem no. Assuming that it is true what you say about the customers moving away to Amazon years ago and the Amazon bending the rules, then we'd simply have the very same situation as before the intervention of politicians. The customers, the employees and the cash simply moved elsewhere.

Creston's version was more like life ended for everyone.

Besides, UK politics has shown some intentions to stop those tax loop holes for Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook & Co too.

News Comments > Play.com Leaving Retail
9. Re: Play.com Leaving Retail Jan 10, 2013, 06:18 Golwar

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:05:
Government logic: "Dammit, that store is selling stuff without VAT / sales tax on it! We have to get sales tax out of them, we're losing out on billions in revenue!"

*Government implements stupid new laws, force store to charge sales tax / VAT.*
*store closes, several hundred / thousand jobs lost.*
*unemployed people apply for wellfare.*

Government: "There! Job well done, guys! What are we doing for lunch? hookers and blow?"

:slow clap:

Creston

Slow clap for yourself Creston.
Surprise! Shoppers will move to alternatives now, which pay VAT.
Those companies will now be able to offer more jobs, without being required to base their business on Jersey to compete.

But I guess in your mind all the revenue that dying companies generated simply vanishes with their existence?

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2013, 08:02.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jan 6, 2013, 18:05 Golwar

Disney? Considering the wealth of IP they own and create, they are one of the worst to monetize that via games. It always felt as if games were just a secondary option to them, so an own console seems ... odd.  

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore
23. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:09 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:59:

My personal dreams and the feedback I get on them have nothing to do with Valve and steam and their partners lol.
I don't think valve cares much about what the other parties who sell on steam think about the sales of other games that aren't owned by the people complaining. Remember that prices (including the sales prices) on steam are ultimately decided on by the publishers. If valve bowed easily to things like pressure from companies like EA, why would EA have started pulling titles over in game purchases?

Valve could survive just fine on their own games and on indie games. And they may well end up doing so, if all the other big companies start doing their own platforms like EA has done. We already know that EA hates big sales on their own IP, and feels it devalues the IP.

And the indie games WERE still spotlighted this year. There were indie games on the dailies, on the flash, and on non front page sales. There was even a big pack of indie games spotlighted on the front page.

See, it was quite obvious that you never made such business experiences. What you think about Valve caring or not caring is not relevant. Not to mention: Not a realistic view.

Of course Valve will listen to the feedback and suggestions of their most important partners. They need co-operation, especially with projects as the Steam Box around the corner.

And lastly, I didn't say that they demanded Steam to abandon Indies, they just reduced spotlighting them. I think it was 2 years ago when they had that crazy daily achievment hunting for game gifts (or coals)? The huge majority of those were related to indie games.

I'd bet that some huge publishers complained that this would shift too much attention on indie games and the result: they are gone.

Till you manage to offer a better explanation than "it stopped being fun", I'll consider my theory far more realistic and reasonable.

Edit: Oh and before you repeat that stuff about missing stockholders, flat management and doing only fun projects. All that this means is that they can enjoy the freedom to do whatever kind of projects they want and approach those however it pleases them. Internally.

Once when they get out into the big world and need partners to make their shiny ideas a success, they will sooner or later have to do compromises. Everyone does.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 21:22.

20. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:44 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:08:
Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:05:
It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".
What are you talking about?

They don't have stockholders to impose any such thing on them, they are privately owned.

They have a flat management structure, so no managers, or VPs of marketing or anything like that pushing crap down from on high.

Pretty sure that none of the useless laws passed last year by the useless government said "ZOMG YOU CANT HAVE FUN SALES"

Who exactly were you envisioning would impose something like that on them?

However, they did just last year hire their first economist from what I recall. Maybe they were letting him have a go at running the sales.

They don't have stockholders, true. But they have huge business partners. Maybe you could always realize your dreams without caring about any feedback from others, but trust me that not everyone is that lucky.
If business partners, on which you depend, express certain expectations, you'll sooner or later will have to reach an agreement. Also known as a compromise.

Maybe one the big ones didn't like all that spotlighting of indie titles in the holiday events 2 years ago?
At least that sounds far more reasonable to me than the simple "it stopped being fun".

13. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:05 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:32:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:21:
This is one of the worst seasonal sales that Valve has done. The vast majority of games had already been on sale; there was barely anything in the way of community participation; there were no updated games with special achievements; the achievements were possible to complete more than a week before the end of the sale (I've never been able to do that before); there were no new Steam features being promoted (inventory, etc).

I'm very surprised that Valve didn't making voting on Greenlight an achievement or add achievements to games that support Big Picture. It was a bog-standard sale - it wasn't a sale event, like Valve normally does.
As I've said before, I think its because it stopped being fun for valve employees to do those big events and became more work. So, they didn't do it this time around.

I'm not really sure if that is related to Valve. It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".

Anyway, it has been the most disappointing Steam sale in any aspect. Discounts have been weak, I could barely see a game reaching a price that hasn't been seen before. And then they constantly rotated the very same offers all the time, with some minor additions of course. And the "entertainment factor" was zero.

I think this was the very first time that I purchased more games on the PSN holiday sales (3) than on Steam (1).

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 6, 2012, 20:11 Golwar

LOC wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 12:21:
To bad the soundtrack to Hotline Miami wasn't nominated. That's seriously one of the best soundtracks for a game I've ever heard. It's also the first one I have all the tracks to on my PC to listen to on foobar2000 or whatever.

It has several great tracks, but also weaker ones. And it is a collection of tracks from several different musicians. All Grammy nominations are related to one single person.

News Comments > No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany
31. Re: No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany Dec 1, 2012, 19:21 Golwar

Brumbek wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 18:44:

"Fascism is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism. Fascists seek to unify their nation based upon suprapersonal connections of ancestry and culture through a totalitarian state that seeks the mass mobilization of the national community through discipline, indoctrination, and physical training."

The German government seeks to shape the thinking of their nation by censoring violent games and other media. That's getting dangerously close to fascism in my opinion.

lolz. You quote what facism is and still think that it would be smart to claim that enforcing that overly brutal games aren't sold to anyone under 18 would be a sign for facism?

Sorry buddy, but in that case you seriously should beg someone to play your "thought police", you certainly need another instance to filter your crap.

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 08:05:
Golwar wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 06:25:
And as long as the USA prevent even slightly sexual content in games for everyone on the world, I'd remain silent about how stupid countries are.

How do we do this exactly? Our ratings system is entirely voluntary and there is no government involvement, regulation or censorship what-so-ever.

You don't always need the government, sometimes the industry and a part of the customers are enough to cannibalize products. Don't tell me you missed the outrage after certain sex scenes in Mass Effect 2 (or 3).

It is quite simple, US Americans love their weapons and they fear naked tits. This results in self-restriction of the industy, that simply doesn't produce games with erotic or sexual content. It occasionally happens that we in Europe get to see some naked impression that get denied from the USA, as in Witcher for example.

But you simply can't produce a game story that would heavily rely on sexual events, as it would be impossible to sell it on the biggest market. Thus I say that the USA, in their bigotry, prevent erotica in games. One of the most elemental parts of any form of culture is not existent in games. Did you never wonder why?

News Comments > No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany
13. Re: No Dead Island: Riptide in Germany Dec 1, 2012, 06:25 Golwar

El Pit wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 05:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 04:21:
Ehm no. Steam regional lock is publisher choice, not Steam choice. So if you tell steam "no regional restrictions" and you only sell 1 version of your game, then everyone can play that version of your game, no matter where they are. Sales in Germany might not be allowed then, but buying via 3rd party (GMG / Amazon, etc) is perfectly allowed.

The reason Steam enforces the German version is because the publisher made a German version and enforces it specifically for Germans. Again, 100% Publisher, 0% Steam. ^^

Secondly, the real issue is that Steam has STILL no age verification.

Buying it from other sources won't help if you won't be allowed to ACTIVATE the game on Steam with a German IP unless you ignore the Steam ToS and use VPN, risking your Steam account. Therefore - don't risk hundreds of games, seek alternative ways.

I'm not blaming Steam. I'm blaming OZ and German governments and the publishers lacking balls to allow the game to be activated from Germany via Steam.

What nonsense. There are few indexed games here in Germany and it is absolutely allowed to sell them to all adults. It isn't even required to produce any "special" german cut versions. You just can't advertise them.

So it is indeed Steam that is to blame for the lack of an age verification system. If Steam had that option, Publishers wouldn't have to generalize all german customers and enforce what is legal for under aged gamers to everyone.

And as long as the USA prevent even slightly sexual content in games for everyone on the world, I'd remain silent about how stupid countries are.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 28, 2012, 05:53 Golwar

I bought my Vita last Friday and I'm quite happy so far. Got 7 full VITA games to play, some free games as "Frobisher says" and several PSOne (Final Fantasy) titles.

It is indeed true that ports from older systems play a big role, but why shouldn't they? I never had a PSP or PS2, so I can't wait to get Persona 4.
And PSOne games look great, far better than on my huge tv screen. They even sound better than on the PS3.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale Day Four
19. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 19:05 Golwar

Yeah, SPAZ is really great ... till you reach the zombified center, then it's getting slightly annoying.
I think they improved that with a later patch, never really tried that though.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale Day Four
17. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 18:48 Golwar

Ha, my plan works. Ordered a Vita and several games yesterday and now I managed to resist purchasing further games. Brilliant move! It just wasn't really cheap. ^^  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2012, 18:43 Golwar

I'm quite surprised about the nonsense that he wrote there. I consider him to be smarter than that, thus I must assume that he wrote it with the only intention to be the center of a (non)topic.

Supporter who can afford to spend more money achieve something for all gamers out there. They accept the risk to lose more money, their share to enable productions at all (or with more and better content) is rewarded with what: Their names being used in-game? Some additional items that don't affect anyone else? So what?

As long I don't have to see the face of Donald Trump handing out quests to prove his weird theories about Obama, I'm fine.

News Comments > Eurocom Layoffs
8. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 19:30 Golwar

Blah, we need 5 year plans to spread developers efficiently among the available platforms. Gaming communism ftw!  

News Comments > Czech President Pleads for Jailed BiS Devs
17. Re: Czech President Pleads for Jailed BiS Devs Nov 22, 2012, 07:30 Golwar

I agree with BadIronTree. It's pretty much their own fault if they didn't communicate with the locals what kind of data they can gather, that wouldn't be considered a risk to their national security.

It absolutely doesn't matter what for they spied. That they spied at all is enough to justify prison. And that in any country, not just Greece.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2012, 05:34 Golwar

I just invented an automatic gesture whenever the words "Apple" and "patent" are mentioned in the same sentence.  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 07:47 Golwar

I don't get why people always must hate someone. Last time pretty much everyone here hated Eurogamer, considering them to have betrayed Rab. This time Lauren is the target.

Sorry, but it is sickening when the reaction of unaffected third persons is so much harsher than of those affected. Rab himself wrote the first time that he wasn't mad with EG and yet people ignored it.

Here he wrote about his impressions in all details: http://botherer.org/2012/10/26/guest-post-robert-florence-on-the-last-few-days/

So do you think that he considers Lauren to be evil? No? So why do YOU?
She was naive, panicked and probably got some ill advise. She was without a doubt dumb, but that's it. Don't pretend that you never were.

606 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo