Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt

Real Name Matt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Longjocks
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 2009, 22:06
Total Comments 33 (Suspect)
User ID 55153

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month
10. Re: Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month Oct 10, 2013, 17:42 Longjocks

I was somewhat surprised that this turned out to be a solid game. It was a really interesting take on the source material and it was funny to go through it having also been a fan of the Monkey TV show in my youth. I'd suggest PC gamers who haven't played it give it a go.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Arma III
55. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 19:04 Longjocks

Raptor wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 17:39:
Regarding the campaign though - the last decent one was the first OFP.
And maybe that was just because of the huge WOW factor of the game itself (at least for me), so the SP felt more special. But I still recall it as a bright light.
Mate, I share your opinion on this. My reasoning is a little different. OFP certainly had a wow factor of being unique, but what helped it as an SP game was that the majority of it (it's not perfect afterall) was built around the engine's strengths. For 1980s era combat over sparsely populated open ground it was a great platform.

Once modernised with the first ARMA, then adding larger, more dense towns with more buildings and things to navigate and interact with, the platform became mostly useless for SP. The campaign for that game was simply horrendous and seemed to have been whacked together in short time almost as an afterthought. These days the ARMA series platform seems to really struggle with AI and pathfinding, among other things, not being able to keep up.

Now, I'm primarily an SP player and I've only recently been taken in by some fun co-op in games. That said, maybe BIS would benifit making this an entirely MP platform? The AI has had bandaid after bandaid solutions applied and maybe focus should be made on fixes to issues which may more easily be addressed within the engine to make the MP even stronger. Of course I don't really mean that because I understand many want and like the SP element and there are still things you can do with it - I just sometimes ponder the thought.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2013, 19:13 Longjocks

"Metro: Last Light and the return to realism"
Yep, when shooting monsters in a post-apocalyptic, irradiated world, there's nothing like a HUD to ruin the realism.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2013, 22:20 Longjocks

"Jimmy calls himself a gamer, but he utterly fails the demo when he crashes a car..."

So Jimmy is easily qualified to make gameplay videos for Gamespot?

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced
2. Re: Mirror's Edge Reboot Announced Jun 10, 2013, 18:24 Longjocks

Reboot? I know rebooting is the trendy thing to do these days, but when it's a relatively recent game with only one title under it's belt it makes me scratch my head.

"...fans quickly elevated the game’s heroine “Faith” into a videogame icon."

So, if you acknowledge Faith with icon status, why reboot her with a new origin story when her story has hardly been told? It seems like the original Faith actually means nothing to the franchise if she can be discarded so easily. I'm uncertain as to what part of their audience EA is trying to fool.

News Comments > Origin Update Adds Achievement Tracking
11. Re: Origin Update Adds Achievement Tracking May 9, 2013, 18:32 Longjocks

Surely achievements are the absolute last thing you need to worry about adding to something like this? Sure, more power to those who enjoy that stuff, but make a poll of important changes to Origin and I doubt achievements will exactly rate highly over more important functionality.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Trials Evolution: Gold Edition
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Trials Evolution: Gold Edition Mar 21, 2013, 17:17 Longjocks

The thing about these games is how much time you can spend trying to get over that one obstacle on a hard track and want to throw your controller at the TV. But a few tracks later you come back to try and do better than the bronze medal you got for just managing to complete it and you find you've picked up the skills somewhere along the way to breeze through and get gold.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 20, 2013, 17:01 Longjocks

"Pirated software was used to design parts for Patriot missiles and Blackhawk helicopters"

Probably to get around ridiculous DRM and have a working product. National security comes first.

News Comments > Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50
30. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 Longjocks

I just don't see a number next to my character's name as anything meaningful enough to make a difference to how I play the game. I'm enjoying BL2 for the gameplay, the experimentation with skills, the humour and good times with friends in co-op. If I want a feeling of progression re skills and XP I just start a new character. Getting a character to level 50 is a nice little goal to tack onto the experience but I just don't care. With around 100 hours spent in the game all up, with many more to come, I don't think raising the cap to [insert arbitrary number] is going make a difference to my VFM.

This isn't a stand to say that others should feel this way, it's just my perspective and I've yet to see an argument that might sway me to thinking it matters or it should be changed.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
44. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:30 Longjocks

Hmm... so the people calling Tina's characterisation racist think that all black people, or exclusively black people, speak like that? Sounds a bit racist to me.  

News Comments > SimCity Trailer
11. Re: SimCity Trailer Jan 10, 2013, 17:12 Longjocks

This trailer is pretty lack-lustre. I was already sold on the previous videos that make this my kind of game. But, to join the vocal nay-sayers, I can't risk getting the game with it being always online. I do understand the game is built on the whole social experience and always online tech so no protests are going to change this. Despite the common reasons people usually spout, some of which I agree, my circumstance is a little different...

I currently have a decent Internet connection that will allow me to play (SP only for me mind you) relatively normally. But the unit I'm renting is up for sale. I could buy SimCity upon release and play while I'm here, but if I can't find another suitable place to rent centrally I'll have to move south of the railway line in my rural city with poor infrastructure... I'm boned. I paid for a game I can no longer play. Ports in those exchanges are limited and even if I can get a connection it might not be as reliable - and my current cheap & reliable ISP doesn't run on those exchanges at all, meaning I'd be paying even more for less.

None of these infrastructure or personal issues are the dev's fault or problem. However, it's funny how companies will tack on shitty MP to any game to shift a few extra units, but they won't take at least similar steps so that people with bad or little Internet access will buy their game. There's a huge audience of people they choose to exclude, which is at odds with how money hungry they are.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2012, 16:52 Longjocks

Good to see Anonymous spending their time in a valuable way. When I want to solve my community problems I just go and beat up a drunken loud-mouth in a bar. Every time I do that we prosper. It's science.

If they were to do this, would their time not be better spent attacking those who give them air time? It's the only 'power' WBC have.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Video Overload
2. Re: Assassin's Creed III Video Overload Sep 24, 2012, 18:11 Longjocks

"at the end of the day we know you kind of just want to watch a bunch of footage and drool over it."

Unless it's some of the recent footage released of Borderlands 2 on Youtube by a certain gamimg site. It's actually more frustrating to watch people who play games particularly poorly. No sense of direction, no good at shooting... I get we can't all be super flawless gamers, but in the same way I don't publish videos of my fat arse doing strip teases, people shouldn't publish their crappy playing. That's also not to say that I don't like to see people stuff up from time to time in these videos - it's good to see consequences of the inevitable failures we'll all commit - but I'm not interested in seeing someone stumble back and forth with constant references to the map when the path is right in front of them, then have them cluelessly fumble through combat. How that makes for an interesting video for professionals to publish is beyond me.

News Comments > Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games
26. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 18:44 Longjocks

"...we can try different things and find subjects that are of interest to consumers."

Isn't it a big step to completely turn around a business model 180 degrees?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 18:52 Longjocks

I remember a times when demos came out before the game to help you decide whether to buy it upon release. I can only assume that game quality has gotten so bad that they realise demos before release will have more of a negative net impact?  

News Comments > Remember Me Announced
4. Re: Remember Me Announced Aug 14, 2012, 23:22 Longjocks

Looks like my kind of game. I hope it's executed well.

As for the commentor who said "Mirrors Edge meets Total Recall", where the hell did this come from? I kinda get the Total Recall part in a very vague sense, but wouldn't you say Splinter Cell before Mirror's Edge? Or is every game with a female protagonist and climbing perceived as Mirror's Edge in the same way the that every stocky guy with a full beard gets perceived as Zach Galifianakis?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 18:34 Longjocks

"THI4F"... What's a thiaf?  

News Comments > Brothers in Arms Furious 4 Delayed
11. Re: Brothers in Arms Furious 4 Delayed Jul 10, 2012, 19:23 Longjocks

Brothers in Arms Furious 4

*Fixed

News Comments > Ground Branch Kickstarter
21. Re: Ground Branch Kickstarter Jun 4, 2012, 17:38 Longjocks

Jerykk wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 18:55:
Is this going to be a multiplayer-only game?
A mate of mine asked them about SP and this was the response - "BlackFoot Studios says: Right now, the game will not have a standard single player story driven campaign. We just do not have the resources to do it right. However, we do want to do it and have one designed and will be looking to add it sometime post launch."

Unfortunately that means I'm out because I'm SP only and I can't justify spending my money on a maybe, but I hope this is otherwise successful and reinvigorates a genre that pretty much doesn't exist outside of the ArmA franchise (which also sadly lacks in compelling SP).

News Comments > Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed
16. Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Delayed May 14, 2012, 18:09 Longjocks

It's a bit too wordy for me. Just say "It's currently shit and we need time to fix it before release." Done.  

33 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo