Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameless One

Real Name Nameless One   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 14, 2009, 04:23
Total Comments 21 (Suspect)
User ID 55146

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 Free 4x4 Expansion
2. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 Free 4x4 Expansion Apr 29, 2014, 21:16 Nameless One

I'm waiting for Simulator Simulator.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
61. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 23:35 Nameless One

When Star Citizen is likely to release given the possibility of slippage due to the large amount of stuff that they're promising, hardware will have progressed somewhat. One of the things we like about PCs compared to consoles, Today's high-end computer is likely to be Tomorrow's mid-range machine. Even if you do have to upgrade I doubt it would require that big a spend.  

News Comments > X Rebirth Trailer & LE Details
17. Re: X Rebirth Trailer & LE Details Oct 21, 2013, 20:25 Nameless One

I've enjoyed this series immensely, although I still struggle to get to the stage of creating stations in the X3 games after making it there in X2. I also enjoy seeing more games coming out where a 64 bit OS is part of the minimum requirements.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 04:24 Nameless One

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 04:14:
My point exactly. That's why I said like clockwork. Almost a million bucks a week, week in and week out? That's simply too good to be true. And if something sounds too good to be true. Most ponzi scheme victims think they're going to be well rewarded too.

Sadly, the vast majority of people seem to have something going on in their "mind" such that anything they hear that sounds good is automatically made true so the "sounds too good" refrain just doesn't work on them.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 04:20 Nameless One

As long as they can keep coming up with new ideas and don't release any actual game they're set for life.  

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
23. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 22:14 Nameless One

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 17:10:
They forgot to mention the usual problem with things like this.

Requires: Windows 7/8

Not compatible with Linux because we don't care, that's all.

This seems to me to be entirely the signalling between the graphics card and the monitor and how the two pieces of hardware interact, something that is merely turned on or off via the drivers as vsync is.
If that is the case then what OS is being used is largely irrelevant, at most it would require a config setting to turn it on or off as is the case for vsync and which would require little effort from Nvidia to add to their Linux drivers.
From the game/application side of things it would be the same as with vsync off in that the software (game or whatever else) draws frames as fast as it can and the monitor deals with that output, assuming that games actually do things differently for vsync on rather than let the drivers and hardware internals sort it out.

News Comments > Master Thief Announced
6. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 28, 2013, 00:06 Nameless One

"Infiltrate the City’s most secure location"

So once we've done that and have nothing more to prove we can pack up and go home not bothering with the rest?

Perhaps turning to the talk show circuit instead?

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2013, 00:14.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
86. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 23:43 Nameless One

Just as some console gamers own both consoles (and probably a PC too) some PC owners will want to buy one of these, Valve are certainly making it as attractive as possible for them to do so.
By convincing as many Windows users as possible to run SteamOS/Linux (dual booting be it for older games or just for general use) and/or buying a Steam Machine they are presumably trying for as close as they can get to a single market of about PC + one console in size which for any games company but especially for the smaller ones would be very tempting.

Plenty of what-ifs and strong (possibly misplaced) optimism but at any rate, the only guarantee is that if they don't try then they will fail.

It is nice to see some enthusiasm and genuine innovation in amongst the usual world of marketing driven sequels and sure bets.
What a shame that there are so many nay-sayers pissing all over it given that failure is as likely to be because of the nay-sayers swaying enough of everyone else as because of any inherent flaw in Valve's plans.

84. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 22:51 Nameless One

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 22:40:
But like you're saying, Valve may not be after the PC user base.
Valve are after anyone and everyone they can convince to become their (ongoing) customer on Steam.

80. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 21:53 Nameless One

It's interesting that some people seem to be treating Steam Machines in the same way as they would a PC, rather than treat it as a console, and bringing up all sorts of negatives as if they were the target audience when at best they may be a small part of it.
I hope Valve are very successful, I think it would be great to have a situation where (for the most part) "console" and "PC" are the same thing and there is no need to port anything as they are the same platform with consoles at worst being like an old PC that games companies try (perhaps a little too hard) to keep supporting ahead of bleeding edge hardware that few have.

Also, with PS4 and XBone being fancy PC hardware (what I presume is a standard x86 CPU instruction set being the key here) they are both potential Steam Machines, the work of porting SteamOS to either platform (Sony/Microsoft permitting) would be fairly easy and nothing would need to be done to the games for it to work. Sony allowing dual boot is a remote possibility I believe, Microsoft is likely to take an "over our dead bodies" approach.

edit: the Heterogeneous Unified Memory Access architecture of the consoles would likely complicate SteamOS porting matters somewhat but if the APIs such as OpenGL were suitably modified on the hypothetical PS4/XBone SteamOS ports then while it wouldn't necessarily take advantage of the different memory architecture it would still allow those consoles to behave like a standard Steam Machine from the point of view of the games and end users (assuming there isn't something else to get in the way of a port and that HUMA isn't an insurmountable obstacle).

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2013, 22:48.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization May 3, 2013, 08:09 Nameless One

Speaking to Wired via Skype, a fat cigarette jutting from his smiling lips, Molyneux swears that what awaits within will
“change that person’s life forever.”

Yep, massive disappointment will likely do that.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Roadmap
10. Re: CD Projekt RED Roadmap Mar 21, 2013, 23:56 Nameless One

And there is no country called "America". There is one called the "United States of America" but none called "America".  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 EU Breach
3. Re: PlanetSide 2 EU Breach Feb 27, 2013, 05:30 Nameless One

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 22:26:
You'd think by now sony would have learned to take their security a lot more seriously. Cheap pricks.
It doesn't matter how many breaches you fix or how well you fix them (or how seriously you take security in general), best security practice doesn't magically make you invulnerable.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
5. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 23, 2012, 07:37 Nameless One

Apart from killing Dishonored when attempting to load a saved game the beta drivers aren't really doing anything noticeable.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 18:32 Nameless One

Actually he got a KBE aka a knighthood, not an OBE.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Next Year?
10. Re: Just Cause 3 Next Year? Oct 27, 2011, 05:56 Nameless One

Provide the ability to use a steering wheel, use some decent car sim/physics code, and provide some rally stages and/or challenges
like in NFS and similar games in there then coop or no I'd pretty much live there for large stretches of time. In my favourite rally game,
Network Q Rally Championship, there were stages that'd take a good half an hour to drive, not the short sprints in current games.
This could provide long stretches of really good driving with minimal repetition.

News Comments > More on RAGE Tweaking
13. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 04:32 Nameless One

SirKnight Wrote: on Oct 5, 2011, 21:23:

Looks like they aren't kidding that you need A LOT of video ram to have 16K texture page tables. My 460 SLI (each has around 700-something MB) gave me the finger.

ATI & Nvidia still seem to be failing to communicate effectively that with SLI & Crossfire textures are duplicated across all GPUs used, the VRAM isn't shared from one card to the next
(and how could it be? it could work for multiple GPUs on the same card though if they do/have done that). From a texture usage perspective it doesn't matter if you had four of those
460s or just one, you have roughly 768MB of VRAM to allocate. You can't even use the 8k textures with that if as they suggest you need >= 1.5GB.

Forced to used the high resolution textures my old 2GB HD4870 could (and probably would) stomp on a quad SLI setup of those 460s (relatively speaking, and ignoring problems such as texture popping ).

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
17. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2011, 06:36 Nameless One

And what, pray tell, does any claim about Macs and viruses have to do with a trojan?

Whatever OS you are using, if you put a program on it, run it and let it do what it wants
(ignorance to the risk trumps any security measures) there is very little that any system can do to protect itself.

To the extent that an OS can protect itself, Mac OS X and other *nix based systems seem to be better equiped
than Windows, especially to many peoples beloved XP.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2009, 21:12 Nameless One

Perhaps someone in Florida should seek to get Grayson jailed for claiming to be their elected representative.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Plans?
27. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 23:25 Nameless One

John Smedley: "PlanetSide fans will be happy We have big things planned in the next 12 months. Were working on something new thats really cool."

STATION CASH!

21 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo