Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ASJD

Real Name ASJD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 11, 2009, 02:52
Total Comments 469 (Amateur)
User ID 55136

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
84. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 3, 2011, 02:17 ASJD

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2011, 00:25:
There was a time not long ago when PC gamers *wanted* developers to push the envelope. Year after year of console ports and suddenly everyone is concerned not how well a new game will look and run but how well the ten-year-old one will? How fucking depressing.

There was a time when games were designed exclusively for hardcore PC gamers as well. That time is long past.

Simply put, the difference between DX8 and DX9 was substantial. DX9 could handle visual effects that DX8 could not and these effects were fairly significant. The difference between DX9 and DX10/11 is far less noticeable. In most cases, DX10/11 does the same effects as DX9, only more efficiently. Even with this improved efficiency, running in DX10/11 does not offer noticeably improved framerates so why should gamers care?

In order for MS to convince gamers that it's worth upgrading to DX10/11, DX10/11 games need to be developed that make players go "Wow! I've never seen anything like that with DX9! DX9 games look so outdated now!" Unfortunately, that has yet to occur.

DX10 allows for effects that would be cripplingly slow on DX9. DX11 allows for stuff that is very poorly supported because the focus these days is on the DX9/10-ish console hardware. (That is to say, things we will see the advantage of in the future)

But yes, the driving force behind upgrades should always be the games. I can't speak for you but lots of PC gamers still buy new hardware, unless you're still on a 8800GT or worse, you should be running Vista or Windows 7 by now. Otherwise, what are you getting out of that hardware? Certainly not graphics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No XP Battlefield 3?
32. Re: No XP Battlefield 3? Jan 2, 2011, 17:00 ASJD

Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 16:36:
If BF3 is being developed for X360 and PS3 as well, I'm not sure what the point is in only supporting DX10 and 11. If this was a PC-exclusive, it would be far more understandable but the game is going to be bottlenecked by consoles anyway so why bother?

360 and PS3 can do more than DX9, it's the 360 (in GPU) and PS3 (with Cell code) that are bottle necked by DX9.

But if the assets are developed mainly for the consoles they'll be heavily limited by console RAM limitations...

Like this guy says :

Rilcon wrote on Jan 2, 2011, 15:40:
The 360 does not use the DX9 PCs used, it uses it's own special version that had DX10 features included before DX10 was actually released. If the game relies on some of those features too heavily (say for vegetation or some sort of focus when aiming, or just some speed optimization), then it is a lot easier to just not support DX9.

I have been there, a game I worked on needed a DX10 feature for gameplay reasons, but it also needed to work on DX9. So we had two versions of the same feature, and the DX9 one looked worse and affected performance to the point other visual features had to be cut.

I really like the freedom of being a PC gamer (my system, my settings, etc.), but that freedom comes at a cost to the developler. Not to say developing on console is any better, what with needing to license dev/test kits, all the TRC/TCR/lot checks to comform to, the aging hardware limitiations and the holder cuts and all that.

How many times do you have to tell people something before they understand it? This is worse than the $3000 gaming PC.

News Comments > PC BC2 Vietnam Hastings Unlocked
19. Re: PC BC2 Vietnam Hastings Unlocked Dec 30, 2010, 17:45 ASJD

Dev wrote on Dec 30, 2010, 17:02:
OMG PC GAMING IS DEAD

Half as many hours played as PS3, that's gotta hurt.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 30, 2010, 04:24 ASJD

A final fail in the end, but it lasted a good 4 years. Hackers are too arrogant.  

News Comments > PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings
22. Re: PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings Dec 29, 2010, 17:29 ASJD

lol oh wow, people are looking too much into this. If you think this is an accurate depiction of overall server population and users who bought the game, you're crazy.  

News Comments > PCGA Interview
8. Re: PCGA Interview Dec 26, 2010, 21:01 ASJD

LittleMe wrote on Dec 26, 2010, 20:04:
I say let the chaos do its magic. The PC platform is the a very strong force in gaming because of it.

Because of what? Chaos? What's that going to do for you? Maybe the US should sell of its military and let chaos defend it. Maybe you shouldn't ever get out of bed and let chaos do all your work for you. A hot girl is bound to show up and take care of things for you sooner or later. No, the world doesn't work like that.

Logically PC gaming should be dead. It has the least high profile exclusive games these days, the hardware costs the most, it requires the most user understanding, it has the most problems, and its advantages aren't apparent to most users. PC gaming is alive solely because of old fans of PC gaming.

The forces that be (such as the console makers) have large multi-billion dollar reasons to support their consoles. I doubt the PCGA has billions of dollars in funding (although it has millions from PC hardware manufacturers).

News Comments > Windows 8 and Gaming
9. Re: Windows 8 and Gaming Dec 22, 2010, 22:29 ASJD

PHJF wrote on Dec 22, 2010, 22:22:
Minesweeper going 3D?

No, but it'll let you toggle to the Windows 3.1 visual style!

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG
5. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan MMOG Dec 16, 2010, 22:30 ASJD

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 21:28:
I actually just now, yesterday, for the first time, started playing WoW. It sucks as a game, I hate it, but I keep playing it.

I don't think that's normal. Seriously. Those freaks that play WoW usually get some little glimmer of enjoyment.

Those that are smarter and have played a lot of games and don't enjoy WoW won't ever become addicted.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 16, 2010, 03:14 ASJD

If solitary confinement 'annoys' him he must be a badass. Very annoyed is what I'd be playing a videogame where my character was in solitary confinement.  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2010, 17:57 ASJD

LOL WUT. I have created equally wutworthy headlines :

Diablo 3 being exclusive to 3DS is inevitable.
Super Mario Bros coming to Playstation 4 is inevitable.
Kinect being the most popular thing ever is inevitable.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2010, 21:01 ASJD

Sepharo wrote on Dec 14, 2010, 18:29:
When you flag a video as promoting terrorism the terrorists win.

Not if you flag shitty videos that you wish would be wiped off the internets!

News Comments > OnLive Claims Cloud Gaming Patent
14. Re: OnLive Claims Cloud Gaming Patent Dec 14, 2010, 20:58 ASJD

Well on the bright side after OnLive dies this bullshit will be dead forever!  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Announced
5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 16:37 ASJD

Soylent Bob wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 15:46:
Who the fuck got their HALO all over my Mass Effect?

Halo invented space.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 16:37 ASJD

silonez wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 16:29:
Stop believing the hype, especially from Bethesda (so many bugs and lies.. remember all hype about radiant AI?). I'm done preordering games and paying to be a beta tester. Shit, now with the out of hand DLC racket I'm done buying any game right after it comes out. Thank you Mafia 2 for helping me to finally wise up. Yep I'm bitter about the state of PC gaming.

Stop being a butthurt fanboy and learn to enjoy videogames again. Bethesda especially makes amazing games.

News Comments > EA's OnLive Skepticism
26. Re: EA's OnLive Skepticism Dec 8, 2010, 13:51 ASJD

ibm wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 07:31:
Doesn't seem that long ago when 150ms was very acceptable. If you had lower than that you were a LPB and usually labelled a cheat

Net latency is different than input latency. Push latency and then client side prediction very quickly got rid of the feeling of latency that OnLive will never get rid of.

Furthermore, OnLive doesn't innovate in the way the first online games did. It's simply a worse way of playing games.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 8, 2010, 13:49 ASJD

Bumpy wrote on Dec 8, 2010, 12:26:
Gee, wonder what the PC installed base is.

Gaming PCs? Probably about 3 million.

News Comments > EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs
11. Re: EA: A Decade of The Old Republic Won't Need Millions of Subs Dec 8, 2010, 13:46 ASJD

Translation : "This game is going to suck so much that even we know this thing won't get many players"  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Trailer
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Trailer Dec 7, 2010, 13:45 ASJD

Why do I need a trailer for a game I already own?  

News Comments > OnLive Reviewed
46. Re: OnLive Reviewed Nov 22, 2010, 18:19 ASJD

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 16:05:
That's ignoring the possibility that gaming itself will be totally different in fifteen years anyway. Hence my earlier point that faraway technology speculation is pointless beyond the entertainment value.

The ONLY question is if people are willing to settle with shittiness or will ever hold some standards.

News Comments > On Being a Small PC Publisher
13. Re: On Being a Small PC Publisher Nov 22, 2010, 18:17 ASJD

kxmode wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 13:04:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 11:53:
Yeah it MUST be Microsoft. The money is on consoles, be it Microsoft's, Sony's, or Nintendo's console.

When Microsoft got into the console business all that shelf space that used to be for Windows games was bought by Microsoft for Xbox 360 titles. Where do you think PC games went? To the back of the store (e.g. Best Buy), and in some cases completely removed (EB Games). So, yes, I blame Microsoft completely for creating "extremely unfavourable conditions of the PC market"

Microsoft wasn't the publisher for ALL PC games. It was up to PC game publishers to pay for that shelf space, and it was up to PC gamers to buy PC games. Neither happened, so the games went in the back.

What DID happen is a strong WESTERN developed console was made that received strong WESTERN game development. Then naturally developers, publishers, and gamers chose the Western console over PC.

It's because people prefer Xbox 360 over PC, in general.

469 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo