Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ASJD

Real Name ASJD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 11, 2009, 02:52
Total Comments 469 (Amateur)
User ID 55136

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > APB Specs, Shots
2. Re: APB Specs, Shots Jun 3, 2010, 23:49 ASJD

It's basically Crimecraft 2. DOA.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blade Kitten Announced
4. Re: Blade Kitten Announced Jun 2, 2010, 23:06 ASJD

Sorry, protagonist not slutty enough. Pass.  

News Comments > OnLive Free Period Extended
4. Re: OnLive Free Period Extended May 30, 2010, 17:40 ASJD

RaZ0r! wrote on May 30, 2010, 16:24:
Has anyone tried this? Is it worth a crap?

Yea I was one of the beta testers, and I'll break NDA for my morals. It's not a horrible service, but it's not for gamers who already own a decent PC and/or technically good consoles. Games like Crysis run by default in mid/low settings (I was able to change the settings during the beta, but they'll probably lock them off eventually), input lag is definitely a factor but games are playable.

A console port of any PC title would definitely be preferable on virtually all levels over the OnLive version, for example.

It still might be cool for very casual gamers / Wii types.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
22. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 17:38 ASJD

The dude is a business man, maybe Pachter thinks PC gaming should be eliminated too, I wouldn't put it past him.

He's just expressing his opinion.

News Comments > Gamers & Lucid Dreams
9. Re: Gamers & Lucid Dreams May 27, 2010, 17:35 ASJD

Truly, video gamers are the new Spartans. Except the whole physical fitness thing.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Regions Divided
34. Re: StarCraft II Regions Divided May 27, 2010, 17:24 ASJD

Whoa, this sucks. The ONE person I might have played SC2 with is many thousands of miles away...

Maybe I won't buy SC2 at all now...

Guess PC gaming hasn't caught up with Xbox Live yet

- sorry I am angry and wanted to say something inflammatory

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 25, 2010, 01:09 ASJD

No Twisted Metal? I'm pretty sure the gaming industry is hell-bent on trying to keep me from being happy.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2010, 18:07 ASJD

Orogogus wrote on May 20, 2010, 13:28:
A lot of the weaker narrative experiences in the earlier FPSes circa 1993-1999 had co-op, generally by just throwing additional players into the mix without worrying about narrative demands. From what I can remember: DOOM 1 & 2, Descent 1-3, Heretic, Hexen 1 & 2, Quake 1 & 2, Serious Sam 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior and Marathon 1 & 2 (which were strong narrative experiences).

I'd think it would only be people who got into FPSes after Half Life who would find co-op abnormal.

Nothing of the sort. For one, few people in those early days of FPS used modem play whatsoever. Secondly, the modern concept of coop is defined by an experience that is highly tuned for coop play. RE5, with its two characters, 1 being AI. Lost Planet 2... Gears of War series. Basically if there are AI players that are a part of the story and are there even if noone is playing with you, that's a coop focused game.

Personally I don't like this trend at all. Coop can be fun occasionally if you know someone to play that particular game with, but part of the fun of gaming for me is being able to pop that game in and play something without arranging these events in advance. Having shitty AI players in your single player game, or having challenges that are easier in coop mode are hurting the experience for me.

News Comments > Ubisoft's Losses
10. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 15:04 ASJD

Actually, PC was down ~10% comparing this fiscal year to last (for Ubisoft). PC sales for Ubi in the latest quarter was way up, but so was Wii. Quarters rely on what games are released (well so do years), but it doesn't show any trends in markets.

Whoops misread something. Forget everything I just said except the thing about the quarters.

Ubi's new DRM has only been out a little while, you won't see any sales impact in last FY's report.

News Comments > Only ⅔ of Players Pay to Game
27. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:03 ASJD

Wait wait wait. Who the fuck figured this out from a study.

I'd venture that 95% of people who ever play videogames of any kind play Solitare, free online shit, or other similar free things.

It's just logic. Don't need no stinking study to tell me this.

News Comments > Epic on Piracy and PCs
27. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 13:51 ASJD

Paketep wrote on May 17, 2010, 13:37:
Don't let the door hit your butt on your way out, Mike.

Signed, your bread and butter.

So Gears of War fanboy, eh? Gears 2 was pretty good...

I don't think Epic is gonna abandon Gears just yet. Gears 3 is coming pretty soon!

Tumbler wrote on May 17, 2010, 13:26:
What companies have gone out of business because of Piracy? I know plenty of companies choose to focus on console games because more consumers buy those games, but we've seen a ton of companies go under lately and it's not because of piracy. I'm a buyer/consumer, and I don't believe I own any games from companies that went out of business after I purchased the game. And I'm sure tons of people pirated those games...

I've heard a lot of companies that went out of business make the piracy claim, but it's true that it's just a claim.

When you consider just how many developers, especially former PC developers, that don't hate PC gaming (stop being paranoid idiots, if you believe that), I'm inclined to believe piracy is a real problem.

12. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 13:08 ASJD

ASeven wrote on May 17, 2010, 13:02:
Consoles is where is the money is turning out to become a real urban myth.

I point you to the following pages:

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p=194
http://investor.ea.com/results.cfm
http://investor.activision.com/
Or any of the other big publishers.

Now find net revenue per platform and come again to tell us PC gaming does not make money, is a tiny share of the market or is irrelevant.

Net revenue for PC game sales has typically been 50% of each of the consoles individually. Basically 360, PS3, and Wii each bring in twice the money PC games do.

If you actually took the time to read and understand the recent FY reports from those publishers you linked you would have seen that.

Hell, that Ubisoft report has PC earning 1/10th of PS3 and 360...

9. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 12:57 ASJD

Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2010, 12:31:
Oh brother. Way to contradict yourself, Capps. First he says that the money's on console, then he says that devs focus on consoles because the PC has piracy. Devs focus on console gaming because that has the largest audience. Console gaming has the largest audience because it is far more accessible than PC gaming. This wouldn't magically change if piracy were to disappear. Hell, if Capp's logic held true, Epic wouldn't be focusing so much on 360 development. After all, the 360 has exponentially more piracy than the PS3. That naturally means fewer sales, amirite? Oh wait, no, it doesn't mean that at all.

I think it's funny that you think his two statements contradict each other. PC's piracy level is bad enough that it's driven many companies out of business or to console development. Also, the money is on consoles. Both statements are true and don't contradict each other at all.

It's not just the accessibility of console gaming that's driving it to greater popularity. These days it's the games. PC doesn't have high quality exclusives like it used to, consoles still do. Consoles usually get AAA titles before PC ports, if PC ever gets the port. Personally that's what's driving my console spending.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 14, 2010, 21:02 ASJD

dryden555 wrote on May 14, 2010, 14:19:
new game releases were almost all B-list games across all platforms -- dont have to be a industry analyst to figure out why sales were slumping.

There's lots of months like that. I think the key is coupling in year on year Nintendo sales are down quite a bit, as well as sequels having less effect (Splinter Cell Conviction and SSF4 both April NPD). Finally add in the economy, and it might make sense.

April is often a slow month for sales.

News Comments > Auto Club Revolution Revealed
3. Re: Auto Club Revolution Revealed May 14, 2010, 20:56 ASJD

Whoa shit "Even the starter cars are licensed cars" DUDEEEEE, this is like Forza / Gran Turismo class shit right there. No Boyota and Suboyru for you!  

News Comments > PC Gamer Top 100
24. Re: PC Gamer Top 100 May 14, 2010, 20:35 ASJD

#1. Doom
#2. Tie Fighter

if you disagree you are wrong.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 13, 2010, 00:19 ASJD

I'd argue the state of DX11 is much like the state of DX10 at this time last time around. Maybe even worse, DX10 got Crysis...  

News Comments > Metro 2033 DLC Revealed
6. Re: Metro 2033 DLC Revealed May 13, 2010, 00:18 ASJD

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2010, 23:27:
Yeah, I want to commit, but there's just no way without a demo.

I'm not super interested in the game, but holy jeez the game really does need a demo.

News Comments > EA Financial Results
13. Re: EA Financial Results May 12, 2010, 00:45 ASJD

ASeven wrote on May 11, 2010, 22:22:
BTW, the PC has contributed to about 18% of total net revenue GAAP and 24% non-GAAP net revenue for the total income of EA.

Actually that's 13% non-GAAP, 11% GAAP. PC down about 13% year on year. About half of PS3 & 360 individually.

News Comments > EA Financial Results
12. Re: EA Financial Results May 12, 2010, 00:37 ASJD

Surf wrote on May 11, 2010, 23:06:
God damn piracy is KILLING the gaming industry!

(rolling eyes)

Fuck off.

Uhh, apparently what you didn't see is EA actually lost $677 million dollars this fiscal year. So yea, piracy. Fuck off, you.

(P.S. EA sucks again because of the BS online code shit, no mistake)

469 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo