Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2121 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
11. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 12:22 BobBob

Keeping trying. I still haven't played an online FPS as fun as QuakeWorld.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 20:34 BobBob

When I was a child I suddenly realized the absurdity of existence. After that, life became a bit of entertainment and mostly annoyance. Whenever I close my eyes or attempt to clear my mind, the cloud of absurdity suffocates me. The best I can do is focus on distractions -- life, love, family, work, and all other the superfluous human activities.

For some reason this discussion of the potential future makes me come back to the absurdity of it all. Does it really matter? If you want a guaranteed look at your future, have a lovely picnic at the local cemetery. Perhaps that will help you realize what's really worth worrying about. Hint: Not much.

There are two distinct, conscious and continuous, approaches to this realization (of absurdity): be immobilized about your ultimate fate until you die, or explore the freedom of life until you die. The process is what you have control over; the end is always the same.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 20:47.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 21, 2014, 19:48 BobBob

I had an Amiga 500 and 1200. Good times.  

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
8. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 18, 2014, 20:13 BobBob

The only MMO I've played for any extended period was City of Heroes. Just something about it was fun. Though it did get to be a grind and boring in a week or two.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 18, 2014, 19:02 BobBob

Doesn't anyone use the public library anymore?

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2014, 19:27.

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Jul 18, 2014, 17:05 BobBob

Doom's daddy has left the building.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2014, 15:39 BobBob

If you're ever in Southern California, be sure to go to the The Getty. It's a beautiful and intellectually stimulating experience.

http://www.getty.edu/visit/center/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2014, 14:30 BobBob

It's good money around here. I see a lot of ladies walking multiple dogs along the beach. The rich pay a premium.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 00:14 BobBob

Zola is worth the trip.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2014, 23:58 BobBob

The Half Elf and mag. Be sure to check out Zola Pub and Grill (on a Wednesday / BurgerMania special) for the best burgers I've ever had at a restaurant. I've traveled a lot.

http://www.zolapubandgrill.com/

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2014, 01:28 BobBob

It's not good to support Nazis. Bad stuff. I seriously doubt he's an apologist. The way I read it is he meant he wanted to play both sides like the Rebellion or Empire in Star Wars games or the Soviets in C&C. People misunderstood, attacked him for it, so he gave an extreme response back.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2014, 02:00.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 19:40 BobBob

Seems when the entire game is won by a single score at the very end, it does seem more luck than skill. Most team games are based on a lot of luck and random team efforts or circumstances. Which is why I prefer death-match (free for all) in video games. I am 100% responsible for my success or failure.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:46 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:42:

How do you figure, sportsfan? Just because we were hunter-gatherers doesn't mean we enjoyed it. It's why we took to agrarian societies like a duck to water. Tool use, metallurgy, et al. all to limit our exposure to the wild and make life easier. We don't like being caged either, but that's a very different thing from being domestic. We can still walk out our front doors anytime.

Cutter,

If I get banned for arguing and defending myself here. I want to tell you I consider you a virtual friend. Take care.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:43 BobBob

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:41:

His posts are about how his thoughts and ideas are superior to everyone elses. Because if you're not doing things his way, you're clearly not doing things right. And that's condescending.

More trolling personal attacks. If you look in my history, you'll see that someone argued for collecting video games. I understood his argument and showed respect.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:41 BobBob

Dades wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 20:34:
You're just posting generic links to wikipedia and make no effort to respond in any meaningful way to any criticism of your ridiculously one sided tripe. To be blunt you don't deserve any special consideration or treatment.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Above the link was the quote. It pointed out why the counter argument that "because humans are animals, they should live in the wild too" is fallacious.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2014, 20:48.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:24 BobBob

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 15:40:

Hey, look! Another condescending post from bobbob.

The above is an example of trolling and flaming. Merely attacking the poster instead of the subject.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 20:22 BobBob

Unfair to call me out as trolling. I believe non human animals should be in the wild. A troll wouldn't actually believe such a thing, merely posting to be controversial. Calling me a troll is downgrading my position as flammatory and irrelevant. Actually, calling me a troll, as I attempt to support my position intellectually, reveals the opposite for yourself, which I doubt is true.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 19:42 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 19:01:
Humans are animals too, and aren't "meant" to live in domesticity either. So I guess you'll be living your creed by giving up your cushy San Diego pad and all of its accoutrements to return to living off the land like our ancestors. Anything less would be rank hypocrisy on your part.

Modo hoc fallacy

The modo hoc (or "just this") fallacy is the informal error of assessing meaning to an existent based on the constituent properties of its material makeup while omitting the matter's arrangement. For instance, metaphysical naturalism states that while matter and motion are all that comprise man, it cannot be assumed that the characteristics inherent in the elements and physical reactions that make up man ultimately and solely define man's meaning; for, a cow which is alive and well and a cow which has been chopped up into meat are the same matter but it is obvious that the arrangement of that matter clarifies those different situational meanings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 16:53 BobBob

Brataccas wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 15:42:

What utter nonsense. Have you actually spent any significant amount of time out in the wild? My wife has been doing falconry and wildlife rehabilitation work for over a decade. We see animals come in that are diseased, sick, starving, malnourished, full of parasites, injured, missing toes and limbs, frozen, dehydrated, and worse. Life in wild nature for animals is harsh, brutal, and full of constant fear. The vast majority of wildlife will die in their first year, it's not all rainbows and teddy bears out there.

You are applying standards and expectations upon what is normally (though artificially) created by humans.

See:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2014, 13:44 BobBob

Animals should be in the wild nature. I imagine if we asked a pet what it would prefer, it would want its freedom; if it had the chance to experience both captivity and the wild. Unfortunately, an animal is incapable of communicating that fact. I have had pets in the past and loved them. But in retrospect, they should have been running in the wild. If you find my opinion offensive, put the situation in reverse: Can you honestly say you would prefer to be a pet?  

2121 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo