Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2131 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
10. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 21:17 BobBob

I like Gabe. Go Gabe!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
80. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 16, 2013, 15:25 BobBob

GTA series reminds me of Jerry Springer.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2013, 15:31.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 19:22 BobBob

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 18:32:
Actually it was Roddenberry's idea that V'Ger is borg.

It makes perfect sense and has a nice circular history to it. Proof please.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 16:31 BobBob

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 14:56:
He's not the only one. When NASA launched Voyager, the question was posed within the DoD of "What would we do if an unmanned probe showed up on our doorstep and basically asked 'is anyone there?'"

Klaatu barada nikto

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 16:28 BobBob

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 14:04:
To get an equivalent experience he would need to plug it into a monitor, actual KB/M and etc, by the time he's done he would have most of a desktop anyway. Laptops are for more portable gaming IMO and so far haven't replaced traditional desktops for gaming usage. With the newer consoles likely to drive up system specs and demand I think a desktop is probably the safer bet. I would rather have a laptop or tablet for travel usage and a desktop at home.

I think it depends on what specs the game is made for. Often a game is console spec'ed to the point where even a mediocre laptop can run it at full settings -- as long as its processing power is a step above the next gen console.

Of course, if you absolutely must have the maximized resolution and settings, that can be a problem. I've never played a game where I need everything to glow and the particles to swirl in order to enjoy it. I usually drop the settings a lot for greater frames.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2013, 16:40.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2013, 16:05 BobBob

Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 14:24:
Our benefits are fantastic.

It never lasts. Always act like you will lose your job tomorrow. Save, invest, and take care of yourself. If you feel comfortable with your job security it is a sign that you are neglecting your future.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2013, 13:32 BobBob

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 12:48:
People also use phones to socialize and send those pictures to each other.

If you have to explain that someone, is it worth explaining?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 13:24 BobBob

Blue, just get a fast gaming laptop with a decent replace / repair warranty. I'm sure you can deduct some or all of it based on this site; need to interact with gaming community, etc. A desktop is a bulky, energy consuming, waste of time these days.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 13:21 BobBob

Dolby had Alzheimer’s Disease and leukemia. It's really important to treasure each youthful and healthy moment of your life.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 13, 2013, 12:58 BobBob

Save us Google, you're our only hope!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2013, 12:55 BobBob

I'd rather play a game with a keyboard and mouse, made in the 1990's, than having to use a console's game controller.  

News Comments > WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst
37. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:40 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:12:
No it's not. Being out in the wilds is dangerous and possibly lethal. And all us northerners and people of northern European descent while away the winters in our caves quite comfortably, thank you very much. The only reason most people go out is because they have no other choice. Otherwise they'd be more than happy to stay in their caves and have everything come to them. And is there some reason people can't exercise indoors? In fact most people probably do. And most people in public are assholes and/or idiots and I really have zero desire to interact with any of them more than is absolutely necessary. Going out in public in any city is more an exercise in frustration and anger than anything else. Whilst I do like camping that's not as easy as just going outside and takes some time, money, and effort. So, thanks but no thanks.

I am sorry that you hate life so much. Hope it gets better for you someday.

32. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 17:34 BobBob

The difference being that living in an environment that allows you to be outdoors all the time -- changes your social habits, your culture, your interaction with nature, and almost everything else. I've been to many different places. Being forced (or choosing) to stay inside all the time is both psychologically and physically destructive.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2013, 17:52.

29. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:39 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 15:43:
And do what? Read fiction? Watch TV? Hang out in bars? John Lennon said it best, "Enjoying wasting time isn't time wasted." Sounds like you just don't really like gaming all that much.

I enjoy gaming. I think it's great in moderation. Instead of long hours grinding away at an MMO with nothing truly gained, and a lot of negatives (poor health, obsession, constantly indoors, and minimal social contact), I'd rather jump into an FPS for a bit; developing some kind skill that carries over to higher levels of mental concentration and physical reflexes. All those things you mention are ... well I live in California. We go outside and enjoy life all-year-round. We don't suffer from the climatic prison effect. Pinging Ant.

21. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 14:56 BobBob

People burn out on an MMOs. This is a surprise? I burn out on MMOs within 10 minutes. The only MMO that kept my attention for a longer period was City of Heroes (RIP). You know it's true, psychologically, economically, and physiologically, MMOs will have a negative impact on your life. Avoid any kind of game that keeps you staring at a screen or sitting down for more than an hour out of each day; same advice goes toward using social media.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2013, 23:29 BobBob

I grew up watching Cal Worthington's commercials. RIP Cal and your dog spot.  

News Comments > Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development
13. Re: Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development Sep 10, 2013, 15:34 BobBob

EricFate wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 09:38:
And it happened only two weeks before Brad's sexual harassment case goes to trial. What a coincidence.

Interesting ...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 12:31 BobBob

Chaotically experimenting will not solve the problem. Hit and miss / trial and error, may come up with a solution but you'll never be in full control or know the exact cause. Perform diagnostics in safe mode or via a Linux distro. Use the process of elimination to find out if it's the hardware first. If it is, go from there. If it isn't the hardware, you'll need to do a step by step process of finding out the culprit software. Most likely you'll end up with a fresh install of Windows, then slowly but surely install software, test, install software, test, until you find the trouble maker. Create a lot of system restore points as you install software. You can find scripts that will create system restore points at the click of a button.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/494-system-restore-point-shortcut.html

Don't get into the habit of simply trying all sorts of weird tweaks and random approaches. Be in control. Be systematic. You will learn more in the long run and gain a greater understanding of your computer and the technology behind it.

What you are describing sounds like a heat issue (are you overclocking?). Open the case, and blow a giant box fan across to see if you have that kind of problem or if it goes away. Run some diagnostics and monitor temperatures, etc. Even a small dust layer can cause most technology to over-heat; it's very common.

Before you do anything else ...

Back up your important data now and every time you make a change to it. Back it up to an external HD, to the cloud, or something. Have, at least, two resources for backups so that you can have a fall back if one fails. Ideally, you will have at least one physical, immediately accessible backup, and another one that is remotely stored and encrypted (in case of fire or some kind of tragedy at the home or office). Make these backups before you do any further diagnostics or repairs. Make backing up one of your primary habits. This way you can feel secure and patient with fixing any issues that may come up; knowing that all your hard work, creativity, and time spent are safe from being lost forever.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2013, 14:55.

31. Re: crashing problem Sep 10, 2013, 02:39 BobBob

People still use desktops?

Problem solved: http://tinyurl.com/ychca58

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2013, 16:28 BobBob

I got a Prius. I often get over 60 MPG.  

2131 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo