Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2479 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
56. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 17:17 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 16:52:
NewMaxx wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 14:22:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 13:49:
We "feel" banning guns will help society, yet lack any solid evidence to back that up. (Yes, I am well aware of all the studies. Studies funded by special interest groups that for sure have no bias.)

There's a lot of interesting facts around that, actually. For example, the UK's stronger gun laws mean that the number of violent crimes involving firearms (1 in 20) is far less than the US. However, the UK has over twice the number of violent crimes as in the US. It's pretty clear that any "one size fits all" approach to gun control is naive.

Really? Just a quick search and it shows me something vastly different.

UK vs. US Crime Stats

Murders with Firearms: UK - 14 US - 9,369
Violent Crime Murders: UK - 722 US - 12,996
Violent Crime Murders per capita: UK - 11.68 US - 42.01
Murders with Firearms per capita: UK - 0.236 US - 32.57

Total Crimes per capita: UK - 109.96 US - 41.29
*Note: Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence. Figures expressed per thousand population for the same year.

So in some cases you have more petty crime in Britain, but much more serious crime and murder in the US. Regardless if you have more people engaging in fisticuffs at least they walk away from that. At least people can defend themselves from clubs and knives or run away. You can't outrun a bullet or defend against it unless you're in SWAT gear with a shield, which would be kind of a pain in the ass to be walking around in all day every day. So the gun nuts can keep trying to rationalize it however they like, but the facts prove them wrong.
Gun control works.

The gun control issue is somewhat of a red herring to the real problem.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 16:42 BobBob

I'm sad and angry beyond words.

Cecil. Cry
Dentist. Furious2

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2015, 12:16 BobBob

Looking forward to watching this next week. Thumbsup  

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More
83. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 22, 2015, 17:40 BobBob

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 16:49:
BobBob wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 22:11:
Of course, what usually supports the evolution and mass production of an invention is based on an investor's financial gain and striving to competie with other products, but it doesn't make it any less beneficial to humanity in the long run. Otherwise, you wouldn't be using Internet, computers, driving a car, and the list goes on.

I'm sorry to tell you, but everything you believe was the result of free market competition was actually the result of massive subsidies to the military industrial complex. The internet came out of research that was massively funded by the government.

Free market fantasists and corporate pr lackeys like to fetishize competitive capitalism but where the rubber meets the road is reality - aka massive state intervention in the economy. They know people like you are not very bright and don't do any research and just gobble up mindless pablum you were taught by the media/educational institutions.

Your comment shows how historically ignorant you are of what actually happens like you've never looked into the matter seriously.

Wait, so you're saying the discovery of fire, electricity, gravity, the atom, and inventions that include the plow, the wheel, light bulb, automobile, telephone, ink pens, printing press (including but not limited to various forms of art, philosophy, science, and language) and all other eventually mass produced or consumed ideas or products are the result of military / government intervention, investment, or motivation? Instead of them being discoveries and inventions that created their own inherent demand and required constant supply through manufacture or some kind of duplication/replication process?

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2015, 18:31.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2015, 12:50 BobBob

NetHead wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:31:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:40:
/target eBay
/facepalm

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about it. At first I'm tempted to say that information should only be given to the winning bidder, though then again it's nothing new for customers to know such details about shops or wherever they purchase things from.

Could even see argument for such information being available before bidding, so one could make sure the location is real, maybe checking online to make sure it's at least not an empty lot.

I'm very pro, right to privacy, but something like ebay is not exactly a private medium so sell things, infact the whole point is to get public/mass or hopefully as much exposure as possible. Expecting privacy such as Name, Location, PhoneNumber in that situation seems like something of an oxymoron.

There is a much simpler solution that could satisfy both the bidder and the seller.

Bidder requests seller's information.

Seller response - Yes or No.

Bidder has a right to pull bid if answer is "No".

News Comments > The Surge Announced
6. Re: The Surge Announced Jul 22, 2015, 12:46 BobBob

The ARPGs I enjoyed so far have been Spellforce 1 and 2, Titan Quest (Gold) and Divine Divinity.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2015, 12:02 BobBob

From the article:

Please be aware that we canít take action on communications that happen outside the eBay system ...

Does providing "outside of eBay" contact information constitute as such an action or am I missing something?

75. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 22:11 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 17:17:
BobBob wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 15:39:
10 to 20 years from now video games hyped today will be found at a thrift shop or downloadable from an online retro-archive. Meanwhile, other companies are working on exploring real outer space in order for humanity to colonize Mars and beyond. The consequences of which will likely alter human evolution. You can put your time, energy, and money debating over and playing a virtual game or educating yourself and getting involved in STEM. "Spent X amount of hours playing a virtual space pilot", will neither have a positive impact on a resume nor will it impress a potential investor.

Oh please. IF that ever occurs and it's a big if. It will most certainly not be for humanity's benefit. That sort of pie in the sky dreaming is right up there with jet packs, flying cars, meals in pill form, and moon hotels.

Of course, what usually supports the evolution and mass production of an invention is based on an investor's financial gain and striving to competie with other products, but it doesn't make it any less beneficial to humanity in the long run. Otherwise, you wouldn't be using Internet, computers, driving a car, and the list goes on.

45. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 15:39 BobBob

10 to 20 years from now video games hyped today will be found at a thrift shop or downloadable from an online retro-archive. Meanwhile, other companies are working on exploring real outer space in order for humanity to colonize Mars and beyond. The consequences of which will likely alter human evolution. You can put your time, energy, and money debating over and playing a virtual game or educating yourself and getting involved in STEM. "Spent X amount of hours playing a virtual space pilot", will neither have a positive impact on a resume nor will it impress a potential investor.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2015, 16:18.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2015, 19:09 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 17:42:
BobBob wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:42:
This heat wave is killing me. It's supposed to reach 80 degrees around noon time.

See, it's just getting to where I like it now. I like it when it hits 30 plus - that's 86 for you Americans. I understand floodwaters have destroyed highway 10, Bob. Is this a sign for the end times for Californy?

Well, I tend to avoid freeways. Most of the time I am cycling. My pet peeve has to do with tourists -- bad parking, loud music, litter, obnoxious behavior (it says, bicycle lane -- not walking lane -- do you walk on freeways!??!) ... Anyhow...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2015, 13:42 BobBob

This heat wave is killing me. It's supposed to reach 80 degrees around noon time.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2015, 13:53.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
28. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 15:21 BobBob

Lets face it -- so far nothing has beaten the Quake 3 engine. Timedemos, MaxFPS and graphical and sound tweaks galore.You could get your best balanced and desired FPS / visual combination with almost any painfully weak to ultra powerful computer system - simply by adjusting, tweaking, measuring and capping via the plethora of easily available settings.

Summary: JC needs to clone himself.

News Comments > Op Ed
100. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 15, 2015, 12:51 BobBob

If you haven't figured it out yet ...

The anti-gay preacher hopes to quarantine the infected to set a precedence and instill fear in order to eventually quarantine all gay people. He hopes to convince people that it's a 'gay disease' and they should all be isolated from society.

The activist hopes to quarantine the infected to stop the spread of the disease so that more gays will come out, unite, and educate each other. Eventually, educating the general public that it's not a 'gay disease' and that gay people should be accepted by all of society.

Both used the same words and believed in quarantine, stating it as a 'fact of what needs to be done'.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2015, 13:26.

News Comments > Op Ed
99. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 15, 2015, 12:25 BobBob

Overon wrote:

But I'm only speaking about the truth of statements and saying they are independent of the person making the statement. Moral relativism and ethical theories have nothing to do with it.

People aren't simply computers processing calculations and churning out results. They are complex creatures capable of having their own motivation and able to manipulate others by demonstrating - or feigning - expertise and associations.

I'll give you a fictional example:

It's the middle of the AIDS crisis...

Professor Smith, a scholar and well respected medical doctor, stands behind the podium and lectures, "We need to quarantine the infected patients to prevent the spread of the virus!"

Preacher:

An anti-gay and conservative religious preacher stands at the podium and preaches, "I shall quote a highly respected scholar and medical doctor - Professor Smith, 'We need to quarantine the infected patients to prevent the spread of the virus!'"

Activist:

A gay rights activist stands and talks to his fellow activists, "I shall quote a highly respected scholar and medical doctor - Professor Smith, 'We need to quarantine the infected patients to prevent the spread of the virus!'"

Both quote the same person and words. Do you think there is a difference? Or do you believe the words are the same, therefore so is the intent and desired results?

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2015, 13:27.

News Comments > Op Ed
96. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 15, 2015, 11:23 BobBob

Overon wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 17:55:
If Adolf Hitler said that 3+3=6 it is irrelevant that Adolf Hitler was a moral monster as far as the truth of 3+3=6 is concerned.

The end justifies the means? By that logic it's fine if slavery or vivisection was used to further advance human technological or medical progress as long as the end result benefits the majority or future generations? Sorry .. I don't buy that. Certain wrongs should be 'unconditionally wrong', otherwise we encounter a sort of moral relativism which will lead to sadism, exploitation, and a 'dictatoriship by will of the majority' crushing and abusing the minority or weak members of society; this is the reason why we live in a republic vs. a pure democracy - to prevent such things. I realize I'm taking your statement to the extreme and gettting quite a bit away from the point you made. But, I believe I have a valid counter-point based on a broad historical scale.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2015, 11:39.

News Comments > Op Ed
83. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 19:56 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 09:37:
Popcorn

Give me some of that ... Popcorn

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 10:13 BobBob

Speaking of giving away money, if I see a homeless person carrying a pack of cigarettes and drinking out of a brown bag, holding up a sign asking for money .. and I choose to give him money ... well ...  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2015, 20:31 BobBob

You can live out your life imaginging death from earthquakes, car accidents, strokes, random crime, poor health, free radical build-up, and the list goes on ... Or you can live every moment and hope there is a spirtual continuation. Or you can live every moment by the moment and make existential peace with the fact that nothing is certain. I have a point there somewhere, well, or, I don't but that's also a point.  

13. Re: Reddit Jul 13, 2015, 17:40 BobBob

Kxmode wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 13:04:
This is how the moderators of Star Citizen Reddit responded.

"you have been banned from posting to /r/starcitizen.
you can contact the moderators regarding your ban by replying to this message. warning: using other accounts to circumvent a subreddit ban is considered a violation of reddit's site rules and can result in being banned from reddit entirely."

Pretty much what I thought. There will be absolutely no dissent in the Star Citizen new universe order. This is the mark of a group of people who literally live a bubble of lies and cannot handle opposing viewpoints. I'm not done with them.

Alternatively, spend time volunteering to help people in need, save rescued animals, develop work based skills, read something educational, find love, go outside, etc. Imagine yourself 10 years from now, possibly regretting what you have done or haven't done today. Don't let your future self down. Thumbsup

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
18. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 13, 2015, 12:12 BobBob

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 12:07:
BobBob wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 11:51:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 10:20:
That really is a shame, guy is hall of fame material for gaming if there ever was one. Perhaps its the cynic in me, but i wonder if him battling his disease is related in anyway to the lackluster performance of nintendo the last several years. Perhaps the new CEO will ignite some new perspective and bring nintendo back.

What do you think he was part of some Borg-like Nintnedo collective? The man most likely had a completely separate private life (which includes his medical history) that is none of our business.

So you dont think someone's private life can effect someone work? Ok....

Is this a bidirectional conjecture? Earlier you just speculated the opposite,

2479 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo