Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2434 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 17, 2015, 12:27 BobBob

Nevermind.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2015, 12:33.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2015, 20:31 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Feb 16, 2015, 11:34:
Damn, it's been colder n' a witch's teet around here last few days. Cannot wait for this goddamned month to be over.

You thinks that's bad? We had a marine layer until around 8 a.m. Missed my morning sunrise. It messed up my morning 6 to 7 a.m. beach walk. Fortunately, the sunset was perfectly clear.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2015, 16:26 BobBob

Educational summary of the day: Rich celebrities go to rehab, poor folks go to prison. Got it.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 13, 2015, 10:30 BobBob

Imagine all those sticky handshakes. Anxious  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 13, 2015, 02:25 BobBob

Why are the banks processing the check if it's clearly being withdrawn by the wrong company / individual?  

5. Re: Hogan's Heroes, for no particular reason Feb 12, 2015, 12:31 BobBob

Ever been to "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" at Disneyland? I think it's one of my favorite (non-thrill ride) attractions there. A close tie to "It's a Small World".  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2015, 12:21 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 00:39:
Reason number 21 why I love this blog:

Intelligent people rationally discussing pertinent issues of the day.

Quoted for truth. Thumbsup

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 14:19 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 13:54:
Why would the northern states ask for any of that when they have a lot more actual fresh water and natural resources to boot? And their next door neighbor north of them has even more of that stuff! And lastly, how is California going to provide that when the San Andreas fault drops you guys into the ocean sometime in the next decade?
Evilgrin

I'm holding out for my property to rise significantly in price when this area becomes an island. Of course, that's assuming I'll be alive in a ten to twenty thousand years.

Another version with names: Bay of LA -- Zoomed-In

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2015, 14:28.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 11:51 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 11:48:
BobBob wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 11:13:
After a few are built and perfected across the coast-line, the rest of the country will be asking us for water (since we live near the biggest body of water on the planet)
Now that is funny. Desalination might reduce the problem some but it's not a solution on a large scale. Not unless we suddenly resolve cold fusion and get cheap, easily available energy.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102414278 Thumbsup

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 11:13 BobBob

Blue wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 11:05:
BobBob wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 10:45:
Bit too hot here. Hitting the low 80's, even at the beach, due to the Santa Ana winds Should subside by Friday for the 3 day weekend. Thumbsup
Sunny
With California facing one of the most severe droughts on record, Governor Brown declared a drought State of Emergency in January and directed state officials to take all necessary actions to prepare for water shortages. The state has continued to lead the way to make sure California is able to cope with an unprecedented drought.

No worries. The future is here. After a few are built and perfected across the coast-line, the rest of the country will be asking us for water (since we live near the biggest body of water on the planet); like they do for food, oil, technology and television and movies. Just don't ask us to share our weather.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2015, 11:43.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2015, 10:45 BobBob

Bit too hot here. Hitting the low 80's, even at the beach, due to the Santa Ana winds Should subside by Friday for the 3 day weekend. Thumbsup  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2015, 13:07 BobBob

Interesting, the colder it gets mid-west and east, the warmer it gets toward the Pacific. It's supposed to reach the 80s this week.

Extended Forecast

This article tries to explain why:

To find variability in weather, look no further than the Pacific Ocean.

Pacific and Indian ocean temperatures warmed considerably in 2014, NOAA reported.

Warmer Pacific Ocean waters created a warmer air blanket that can stretch 10 miles inland and, taken together, are a big reason why Long Beach reported the warmest year on record going back to 1958, said Joe Sirard, meteorologist with the Los Angeles/Oxnard branch of the National Weather Service.

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation — movements in ocean currents and temperatures — can stay stuck for decades. Patzert believes the recent oscillation phase has brought drought to California since 2000. It also created what meteorologists call the Ridiculously Resilient Ridge, a stubborn high pressure system off the coast that alters the jet stream and sweeps wet Pacific storms into Northern California and the Pacific Northwest, which eventually become the blizzards of the Midwest and Northeast.

These regional effects would explain the bifurcation of hotter and colder in the United States in 2014. Many who deny man-made global climate change say how can the Earth be getting warmer when we’ve spent the past two winters in the midst of a freezing, snow-filled polar vortex?

As evidence, 2014 was not the warmest year in the United States; the colder East and Midwest balanced out the hotter West and Southwest, scientists say.

Source: Global warming wasn’t the only reason 2014 was California’s hottest year

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2015, 13:45.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2015, 14:35 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 13:02:
Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 11:32:
February is coming in like a mofo. Forecast for the next 14 days is a ton of snow and cold as a witch's teet! Fuck I hate February so goddamned much! I think next year I'm going to see if I can't dissapear for the entire month. Mebbe rent a sailboat and cruise the Caribbean. Hit the BVIs, Bahamas, etc. and drink pirate amounts of rum.

Bobbob invites you to live with him in SoCal. If you ask nicely he'll probably even sponsor your visa.

Fingerscrossed

http://tinyurl.com/ClimateZone6

http://tinyurl.com/laweathervideofeb52015

Thumbsup

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2015, 18:22 BobBob

Tom wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 17:41:
People use keyboards with tablets quite a bit. Or at least, they have them. The other day I watched an executive with one of those keyboard folio thingies tapping away on the on-screen keyboard of his iPad while the physical keyboard sat in front of him, unused. *facepalm*

Being the only executive, secretary and slave of my own business, I use an external keyboard with my iPad. It's weird though having to use the touch screen for moving the cursor or highlighting. I'm considering getting one of those Windows tablets just so I can use a mouse. The big advantage of the iPad is that it works really great under direct sunlight. I remember sitting at a park table next to a friend. He couldn't read his tablet while mine was quite clear.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2015, 18:29.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2015, 16:17 BobBob

Interesting, I don't recall anyone using those items while driving and causing car accidents.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 4, 2015, 13:09 BobBob

A fellow had just been hired as the new CEO of a large high tech corporation. The CEO who was stepping down met with him privately and presented him with three numbered envelopes. "Open these if you run up against a problem you don't think you can solve," he said.

Well, things went along pretty smoothly, but six months later, sales took a downturn and he was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame your predecessor."

The new CEO called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the previous CEO. Satisfied with his comments, the press -- and Wall Street - responded positively, sales began to pick up and the problem was soon behind him.

About a year later, the company was again experiencing a slight dip in sales, combined with serious product problems. Having learned from his previous experience, the CEO quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Reorganize." This he did, and the company quickly rebounded.

After several consecutive profitable quarters, the company once again fell on difficult times. The CEO went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope.

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes.

Original author unknown.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
19. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 13:03 BobBob

Video games took many evolutionary steps back when PC developers started prioritizing controllers over KB/M.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Celebrate the Launch of Evolve with Major Nelson and Microsoft at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mes Feb 3, 2015, 10:30 BobBob

About 30 miles from here. Tempting to go just for the sake of people watching. I dislike the freeway so much I'll probably not bother. I typically take PCH (Highway 1) to go up and down California.  

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2015, 17:04 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 17:00:
Speed limits will be even further relaxed when cars are self-driving, since their emotional states, awareness, and reaction times will be superior to humans.

Self driving singularity? Emotional state?

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2015, 16:59 BobBob

Actually, with my Prius, the slower I drive the better my MPG. Often I deliberately drive about 5 to 10 MPH lower than the speed limit -- not very noticeable around here where the traffic is slow anyhow. On some bad traffic days I get over 62 MPG.  

2434 Comments. 122 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo