Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob Bob

Real Name Bob Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BobBob
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Bob Smith
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 30, 2009, 05:12
Total Comments 2092 (Senior)
User ID 55121

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
73. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 29, 2014, 11:49 BobBob

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 04:33:
You would refuse 2 billion? Be honest with yourself.

You act as if they personally got two billion. That's not how it works. They get respectable salaries and the rest goes to development. That being said, I would of course leap at the chance to make one of my engineering dreams come true. One must ask if there are not alternatives, though, as a deal with Facebook is the very definition of Faustian.

Also, what happens if your argument changes a little bit. Say...would it still work so well as rhetoric if the sum were 1 billion? 100 million? 10 million? 1 million? Where do you draw the line? Are you suggesting no other companies would offer, say, 1 billion? Is money the only determining factor? Don't be glib.

If they made only a few million each, they could wisely invest and retire on that. Is money the only determining factor? No, but it is the most important factor. This is the difference between a business and a hobby: a business exists to make money whereas a hobby exists to support a passion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
30. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 29, 2014, 01:10 BobBob

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 20:33:
For most of human history, people judged and segregated others based on their "tribe" (usually based on familial relationships or political alliances). This became so prominent that in many parts of the world, including the West, a person's tribe or status determined their lot in life.

Then, growing out of Europe and expanding both West and East, the novel idea arose that "tribe" should not determine status, privilege or place in society. That a "natural" aristocracy, based on talent, initiative, and drive, should be valued more than the hereditary aristocracy.

So now, having benefited front centuries of progress because of this idea, the very societies that grew because of the value placed on individual excellence have worked their hardest to once again separate people into various competing "tribes"...

Can we find the most talented young developers to support? Does it have to be the (insert flavor of the month) -hyphen- developer? Why isn't excellence enough?

Too much thinking will make you bitter. Free your mind from intelligence.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 16:46 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 14:51:
And for those of you wondering what was going on around the time of Quakecon 98, here's a sample. This CNN story about game engines still resolves to cnn.com, and talks about Prey of all things which didn't come out until 7 years after that.

Stories on classic games like Tie Fighter, Rainbow Six, Descent 3, Freespace, Half Life, Shogo, Heretic II, and of course Quake II show what a great games were available back then. Although there are stories about games that didn't turn out so well like Daikatana and Trespasser. I think Trespasser bit off a bit more than it could chew.

Wow, I'm starting to feel old. I recollect that period of gaming history vividly. Worse yet, I wish it were like that now.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 16:30 BobBob

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 16:25:
18 years? I think you mean 30 years, welcome to the year 2014

Sad but true these days.

21. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 16:21 BobBob

I can imagine a contact lens version. Hmm...  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 16:01 BobBob

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 14:23:
I think the bigger problem is attracting women into a profession that demands insane hours that conflict heavily with raising a child which is a serious concern for most women at some point in their life.

Except for the exclusive 9 month female pregnancy (which still requires a lot of complementary support by the male companion), the man's job is 50% parenting, at minimum, for up to 18 years. Welcome to the year 2014.

12. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 15:38 BobBob

SirKnight wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 15:27:

And 2 billion, or any amount of money, is not enough to sell your soul and give up your freedom.

When the actual opportunity comes to you, please let us know how you felt after you rejected it -- assuming you do reject it.

9. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 15:20 BobBob

Clever Caviar wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 15:14:
I can understand his reasons for wanting to work on this, he's clearly deeply passionate about it, but it baffles me that supposedly smart people are happy taking a paycheck from such a scummy company.

You would refuse 2 billion? Be honest with yourself.

8. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 15:19 BobBob

I can imagine eye tracking, noticeably voluntary blinking, and gyroscopic sensor-like head movements becoming essential to GUI management, HUD, and other forms of interaction. Then they'll need some kind of ability to sense body movements. Fingertip sensors to start, followed up by motion detection that can scan beyond objects.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 13:53 BobBob

A more inspiring time when game developers and publishers cared about gaming, fun, client customizing, private administration, player created communities and player created content. RIP those days.  

News Comments > Runic Cofounders Leaving
8. Re: Runic Cofounders Leaving Mar 27, 2014, 13:44 BobBob

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 11:31:
Blah blah blah... If you liked working a small indie studio environment, maybe you shouldn't have sold out? But I guess he'd rather have his cake and eat it, too.

You can have your cake and eat it. The correct phrase is: "You cannot eat your cake and have it too".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can't_have_your_cake_and_eat_it

I'm not criticizing you. It's a very common mistake. It's similar to the mistake made when when a person says, "Me and Bob ..." instead of "Bob and I ..." -- I realize I'm being picky.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2014, 13:50.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2014, 13:32 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 12:22:
Welp the 7 day says it's ranging from 6-14 degrees so hopefully the worst is ove and we're on our way. This should make for a wicked hot summer however. So before any of you bitch about the heat just remember what a shitty winter it was.

I'm literally surrounded by the ocean on 3 sides. A long hot summer will never occur here.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
166. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 23:53 BobBob

When they drive in their BMWs and Mercedes on the way to their Malibu beach front properties, I'm sure they will really care what the naysayers think.  

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
63. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:24 BobBob

This is very exciting! The more people VR inside, the more room I will have on the beach.  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2014, 19:56 BobBob

What patents are involved in the purchase?  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 18:10 BobBob

Sennheiser is good but after awhile they just kept breaking on me. Okay, I'm sure it's my fault for tossing them around on bicycle rides. They don't seem to like sand much.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2014, 16:00 BobBob

Apple Earpods are actually very good sounding (definitely try them before you assuming they sound like the ones that come with the phone) and can take a lot of beating. Simply get an adapter that converts to PC.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

Then get something called a "Smartphone Headset to PC Adapter" (Google).

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2014, 13:59 BobBob

Capella wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 00:01:
Oh my wife wanted to know what everyone thought happened to the plane.

Definitely a wormhole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_of_Flight_33

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2014, 13:57 BobBob

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:27:
Still fighting some sickness with our pups....was "just dropped a pool of buttmud in the kitchen....hope you turn the lights on first!"

This makes me hungry.

2092 Comments. 105 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo