Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt Welch

Real Name Matt Welch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Watter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 27, 2009, 15:35
Total Comments 58 (Suspect)
User ID 55111

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
6. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Aug 13, 2014, 13:21 Watter

So, not a troll, really, but why are folks excited about this? I hear a lot of folks saying they're looking forward to it, which is surprising given the general attitude of Bluesnews'ers after a game in series is as disappointing as DA2 was. What is it that seems to be making people optimistic? Are there gameplay vids out there that I missed that are blowing people away. Surely it's not CGI-fests like the trailer above that are raising hopes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
22. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 30, 2014, 08:27 Watter

Kythlyn wrote on May 29, 2014, 22:00:
I still consider DAoC one of the all time great MMORPGs.
Agreed. That and Planetside 1/2 are the only MMO's that I played practically daily for more than a month and with DAoC, it was close to three years. The odd thing, though, was that I really never got that deeply involved in what many consider it's most important component: PvP.

News Comments > Free Plants vs. Zombies
2. Re: Free Plants vs. Zombies May 9, 2014, 10:37 Watter

That franchise lost me as a fan with the horrific way it monetized the second installment. Just awful. Charge me a reasonable price for a game, or if you MUST, put in small micro-transactions, but the huge expensive AND necessary purchases in PvZ 2 were ridiculous.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Amazing Spider-Man 2
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Apr 30, 2014, 15:33 Watter

Guess I'm in the minority as I thought the new movie was WAY better than the previous set. I grew up a huge Spider-Man comic fan and in my mind the new movie captured the spirit of the comics tremendously well; in a way the three Toby-riffic versions never did.

Peter Parker was a hardcore geek scientist and used those skills to solve many of the problems he encountered. Completely missed in the Raimi versions, but on full display in Amazing Spider Man. Then there's the mid-battle quips. Yes, the Raimi's had a few but it was rare. Again the new one was dead on in this respect. And don't get me started on organic vs mechanical web shooters...

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2014, 15:40.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
131. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 09:21 Watter

I think Bill Harris says what many of us are feeling quite well here:

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2014/03/tech.html

Facebook, to me, represents everything that is wrong and invasive with social media. It's "bad Internet". I like companies whose vision is aligned with the greater good of their customers. It's impossible to argue that Facebook is one of those companies.

If Google had bought Oculus Rift, I would have been thrilled. Or Amazon. Even IBM would have been better than Facebook.

So my confidence level in the future for Oculus Rift has plummeted. It's so much more brilliant than Facebook that I don't see any way it can be beneficial. It can't lift Oculus Rift up.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
12. No subject Mar 4, 2014, 12:57 Watter

By coincidence, I just finished Origins last night so it's quite fresh in my mind, I may be one of the few who enjoyed Origins more than City and definitely more than Asylum. In Asylum, and to a certain extent City, all of the side missions felt very distracting and in the way of the very focused story and sense of urgency. I thought Origins did a much better job of integrating the various these missions from a timing and story perspective. I also found the combat to be a little more difficult (well, until you got the shock gloves at least) in Origins which was appreciated.

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
11. matthew@welchkin.net Jan 16, 2014, 14:31 Watter

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 12:59:
I must be the only guy here who thought Absolution was an absolute blast to play. First Hitman game I have liked in a long time.
Same here. I had no idea there was such a hate storm around it.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux
2. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 01:46 Watter

How is this even playable on a mac? Unless you have a Mac Pro (small market one would have to believe), the best video card you can have is a GeForce 650M, right? Can that card play MLL in a way that makes it worth it?  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 11:25 Watter

I have yet to see even a decent console MMOG, let alone an MMORPG. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the nature of the control scheme means that any MMO that is "limited" by being a console release will be less sophisticated than a PC only release. There's just no way around it. An action oriented game might perhaps find a way to be good in both environments, but I'm not holding out hope. I guess I kind of already already suspected that this particular MMO would be on consoles, but disappointing news all the same.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Won't Include DOOM 3
12. Re: Oculus Rift Won't Include DOOM 3 Mar 18, 2013, 12:03 Watter

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 10:43:
but I just don't see this catching on except with the ultra-hardcore.
I was in the same boat as you, but I've been swayed by the fact that nearly every single person who has tried it, some with pretty low expectations, has been blown away by the experience. We'll see.

News Comments > New Thief's New Garrett Profiled
12. matthew@welchkin.net Mar 14, 2013, 14:27 Watter

Oh man... That video interview was extremely disheartening to any Thief fan. "More action", "Modern Audiences", "Console Oriented"... I can't imagine a worse way to describe my idea of a "Thief" game. I'll hold out hope until the final product, but if it's going to be so different, I really wish they would just call it something else. Who are they hoping to target by tying it to the original franchise? People who liked the original series will just bitch and moan (as I'm doing here) because it doesn't capture any of what's great about the originals and people who didn't play the original aren't going to be somehow more likely to play it because of the tie in. Why do it, then?  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 Patched
17. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Patched Feb 15, 2013, 16:10 Watter

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 15:51:
I never liked the Desmond stuff. I'm too much of a nerd to get past the idea that they have a machine that lets you perfectly remember and experience what your ancestor had for supper on a Tuesday centuries ago. Blah blah suspension of disbelief yada yada. Its wrong!
I'm totally in that camp as well. I'd have been happier with the series if the Desmond aspect was completely gone. I think it might have even been more compelling to have progressively built up the history and mystery of the templar and assassin factions as the series progress through the ages rather than starting with the contemporary time as they did.

News Comments > Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming
13. re:ac3 Feb 8, 2013, 08:15 Watter

Despite its medicority, I'm not surprised at the sales numbers all. It was marketed out the wazoo in every possible media outlet for months. In fact, I've never seen so many commercials or web ads for a game before; not even a CoD game.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
26. No subject Feb 7, 2013, 16:43 Watter

CrimsonPaw wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:56:
If they go down that road, they'd better be ready to drop the price of titles considerably to make up for the value lost to trade-ins.
That's the problem though. They have already taken quite a few consumer unfriendly actions in the name of reducing piracy or used game sales, but not once has that resulted in lower prices for purchasers of those games. Although few in number, the console games I do buy are almost always new, but I purchase them with the foreknowledge that I can resell them for at least 30% of my original cost, making the game really only cost me $40 or less. There's NO WAY in hell, I'm paying a "real" $60 for a console game, so I'll end up buying far fewer, if any console games. I don't actually think the publishers are as stupid as we think, so surely then know that what I've described here is true for some users. I can only guess that they feel the percentage of their customer base that will behave in this manner, i.e. buy fewer or no games, is much smaller than what I think it is.

News Comments > The Longest Journey Sequel Plans
8. matthew@welchkin.net Nov 1, 2012, 16:58 Watter

I loved The Longest Journey. I was a latecomer to the game having only played it for the first time a few years ago. Dreamfall however ticked me off more than any game I can remember. There are rules to cliffhangers that every director, author, or game designer needs to follow:

1) It's OK to have a cliffhanger, but always finish a story in a single movie/season/book/game (MSBG from now on). If you have a overall story that spans MSBG's, that's fine and feel free to introduce a new question or plot point (i.e. cliffhanger) at the end of one MSBG as long as you finish the specific story that was the focus of that particular MSBG. If you just tell half a story in one MSBG, you deserve to be shot, hung, shot again, then beaten up.

2) It's only OK to have a cliffhanger, if you already know that there WILL BE ANOTHER BSMG!! If you don't know (and Tørnquist had no funding, publisher, etc. lined up after Dreamfall), then finish your freaking story in the BSMG you're currently working on!

The end of Dreamfall left the story completely untold, with little hope of a conclusion.

News Comments > Divinity Anthology Collector's Edition & Pick Your Price Promo
5. matthew@welchkin.net Oct 10, 2012, 15:40 Watter

For whatever reason Divinity II just hit all the right notes for me. It's one of my all time favorite games. I don't finish a ton of games but I've played through that one three times. For me combat was just about right. Simple enough without a million "moves" to learn but just nuanced enough to keep things interesting. I'd say the same about the loot system. The quantity and variance was enough that didn't stick with the same stuff forever, but no so much that it becomes a slog or difficult to compare (talking to you Borderlands 1/2).

Maybe I'll play one more time. I don't think I ever did a standard sword & board build.

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
6. matthew@welchkin.net Sep 17, 2012, 12:09 Watter

Origins is in in my "top 10 of all time" list. DA II was a tragedy in comparison. As far as sequels go, it's right up there with Deus Ex: Invisible War.  

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer
2. matthew@welchkin.net Sep 5, 2012, 10:39 Watter

I'm not generally of the opinion that PC gamers (or anyone) is "owed" anything, but Doom 1/2 completely defined PC gaming for a generation. It was the very first game my circles ever played multiplayer against each other. We setup an LAN (IPX no less) in our college apartments specifically to play this game. The effort that went into getting a network working under DOS to play this game is something I will always remember.

To see that a re-release, even if it's a pack-in add-on, doesn't include multiplayer for PC gamers is disheartening.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
3. matthew@welchkin.net Aug 21, 2012, 10:43 Watter

If this had campaign co-op (like the first) it may well have been a full price, day one purchase, but without it, it's at most a "maybe if I happen to see it on sale sometime" kind of purchase.

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit with a buddy of mine. Despite the setting, the sound effects and animation did a great job of making it fee like Transformers should feel.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. matthew@welchkin.net Jun 8, 2012, 12:15 Watter

I'm not sure I can defend the entirety of Google+, but the whole "circles" thing is fantastic and 100X better than what Facebook allows. I'm definitely not the social butterfly/narcissist that social networks cater to, however I love being able to have small groups of people who I can share certain things with as they pop into my head or into my life. If I find a game I like, I have no interest in sharing that with the world; what do they care what game I like. Nor do I care to have my parents or kids see it. But I do have a group of "gamer friends" who might be legitimately interested and the circles idea makes that easy. Same thing if I take a picture of my kids at some event. My parents and other relatives might have fun with that image, but I don't care to share that with my gamer friends and definitely not the public as a whole.

If Google+ really does bite the bullet, I'll miss it. Maybe I'll be the only one, though...

58 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo