Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Christian Paredes

Real Name Christian Paredes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname merc248
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 82549869
Description Hi. I'm a UNIX sysadmin. I play video games.
Homepage http://www.redbluemagenta.com
Signed On Jul 23, 2009, 00:12
Total Comments 28 (Suspect)
User ID 55103

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale (1)
38. Re: On Sale (1) Jan 2, 2014, 20:14 merc248

You Need a Budget (YNAB) is actually a fucking great deal. Better than Mint. Gets you on track a lot faster than Mint ever would.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Love Gigabit Seattle? Nov 1, 2013, 16:14 merc248

Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 15:27:
Right now most of the newer apartments are actually doing a good job with high speed - gigabyte internet is around $40-$60 in new developments.

When $10 less gives you 5x-10x faster speeds than Comcast...
Wonder what will happen to those startups when the city's plan moves in.

Absolutely, I live in one of those new developments right now - but it'd be awesome if the rest of the city had the same benefits too. I'd rather not live in a newer development since it's expensive as shit and the only reason why I'm living here is because CondoInternet is pretty amazing.

3. Re: Love Gigabit Seattle? Nov 1, 2013, 15:11 merc248

I'm in the Seattle area - both McGinn and Murray are Democratic. The general consensus is that McGinn is all for gigabit internet, reforming the police force, more bike lanes, better public transit (and expansion of the light rail service), etc. Murray is generally anti-McGinn, and his only platform so far seems to be, 'yeah, well, we're going to stop the bike lanes from expanding, and McGinn is divisive.'

Lots of folks have been huge fans of McGinn around here, so I've huge confidence that he'll win the mayoral race again.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 17:41 merc248

Aaron Shwartz accomplished way more than any of us could hope to accomplish. Remember SOPA? Aaron Shwartz started demandprogress.org to stop it. Do you use RSS feeds? He fucking helped make the spec when he was *12* when we were all playing Quake. Reddit? Yep, cocreated that shit. Freedom of information? Yeah we believe it, but he did something about it with PACER and JSTOR.

Damn you guys, jesus. Fucking peanut gallery.

At the very least, we should look at how the system favors prosecutors too much.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
2. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:18 merc248

Seems there's another release of nVidia drivers for Linux today, boasting 'double performance' - this was made in conjunction with Valve apparently.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Tactics Countdown
1. Re: MechWarrior Tactics Countdown Feb 14, 2012, 17:39 merc248

For some reason, I'm picturing Final Fantasy Tactics, but MechWarrior:

Priest guy: "You're a heretic, Timberwolf!"
*takes out stone, turns into a Summoner*

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement
6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement Jan 5, 2012, 15:29 merc248

As in, it'll be hard to Google for.  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement
4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Official Announcement Jan 5, 2012, 15:25 merc248

Great, now it's going to be impossible to find the original XCOM.  

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles
15. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles Sep 23, 2011, 15:25 merc248

It's definitely like a sauce.  

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
40. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 6, 2011, 01:17 merc248

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 21:00:
Hehe, sorry didn't want to make false assumptions or overly simplify that stuff. It's just that I wonder how expensive all this could be?

The fewer players, the less servers you need. If the software development is set to halt, you don't need to do any related new configuration. All that remains would be, imho, to maintain the hardware and run automated software procedures, for a reduced amount of servers.

If you could describe me what is so expensive that it outweights the regular negative PR they gain if they cancle 1-2 year old games, I'd gladly hear it.
Mind you, I support that they bury games that nobody plays anymore.

Eh, I suppose if you're talking in terms of negative PR, then I don't think the sysadmin/dev time could ever amount to the loss you'd get on PR.

You'd have to have at least one sysadmin, who would likely be paid $70-$100k/yr, along with the hardware, which, if say we're talking about ten servers, we're talking about dropping at least 1.5k per server every three years or so, so let's say another 15k every 3-5 years.

Server maintenance can still be tricky and quite unglamorous - no one else wants to do it, and there's strangeness abound in this art. But overall, I agree with you, either spend some time/money to get a ready to use server binary out there for people to use, or continue maintaining the servers with a skeleton crew.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
30. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 5, 2011, 14:50 merc248

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 11:23:
The only delicate phase should be with new or updated software, when they must assure that it runs with an acceptable quality.
Once when they managed that the software runs, all they do is backup and reset.

That's a load of crap.

I work as a sysadmin myself (and I like working within the culture of "DevOps" - Google it if you want an explanation on what it is), but the fact of the matter is, server maintenance is still required, even if you have an easy way of simply doing backups and resetting servers. From what I've seen, even if you adopt a methodology that allows for failures to happen, there's still going to be one or two servers that absolutely cannot go down for too long.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2010, 23:17 merc248

For once, I wish the adoption rate for IPv6 was much quicker than it is right now.

We won't have to worry about NAT's, because they won't exist in IPv6. People will stop thinking that NAT's provide security for machines behind such an atrocious piece of crap (what are you supposed to do instead? Use a proper firewall ruleset for each machine...) And each machine will finally be individually addressable on the internet, so we won't have to worry about port forwarding or any of that other nonsense.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse (The Web Is Dead...) Aug 18, 2010, 00:17 merc248

From BoingBoing: is the web really dead?

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/17/is-the-web-really-de.html

Moral of the story: read your copy of "How to Lie with Statistics"!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 19:49 merc248

Blue, I'm extremely sorry for your loss.

I'm a young smoker and I do really need to stop, and I think your story will help us get away from such a terrible addiction.

I've lost both of my grandparents last year, one of them from emphysema (my grandmother worked at a plastics manufacturing plant until she was 80 years old.) Though it wasn't from smoking, I'm sure the same effect could be had from smoking a pack of cigarettes each day.

News Comments > Battle.net Facebook Integration
14. Re: Battle.net Facebook Integration May 5, 2010, 17:18 merc248

Chainsaw Chihuahua: It doesn't work as what one might expect.

I disabled most of everything in my privacy settings, and shit still shows up in cnn.com, yelp.com, pandora.com, etc.

10. Re: Battle.net Facebook Integration May 5, 2010, 16:04 merc248

== Paketep  

9. Re: Battle.net Facebook Integration May 5, 2010, 16:04 merc248

God, enough of this Facebook shit. I now can't read CNN, read reviews on Yelp, nor listen to music on Pandora without being bombarded with shit from Facebook. Now, it's Battle.net, so this shit's going to be popping up windows and whatever else for me to add friends from Facebook on Battle.net. No thanks. I can't wait for the next social network to come around.  

News Comments > New BC2 Server
5. Re: New BC2 Server Apr 9, 2010, 14:04 merc248

I can tell you that while some of this stuff is great for server admins (especially admin.say and autobalance improvements), some of them just absolutely suck:

1. FF on = hardcore bit turns on for EA master servers. NO, it's not hardcore. Before R9, hardcore = increased bullet damage, FF on, no minimap, no crosshairs. This will make it much harder for players to find actual hardcore servers.

2. PB cannot be toggled on or off during gameplay. Now, this is okay in most circumstances, because I'd rather have PB on until I decide to restart the server to flip it off. However, there's a well known "hack" that server admins have to rely on in order to get more players in their servers, and that is setting vars.punkBuster to "false" (here's the kicker: while the server is running, if you set it to false, PB still stays on but the server advertises to the master server that PB is off.) Why does this matter? Because there's also a known bug in the client where if you search for a server and turn on the Punkbuster filter, players are actually finding PB _OFF_ servers, whereas if you turned off the filter, you're finding PB _ON_ servers.

This sucks if you want a lot of people in your server.

Since the R9 patch came out, my server has been completely empty; I haven't seen a single soul come into my server due to the combination of the client filter bug and DICE disallowing server admins from flipping the vars.punkBuster switch during gameplay.

DICE should've released a client patch a long time ago before introducing these new features server-side.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Patched
2. Re: StarCraft II Beta Patched Mar 5, 2010, 11:57 merc248

... no change on my account.

*rage*

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer
10. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Pathfinding Trailer Feb 27, 2010, 23:26 merc248

Anyone know where I could find papers on this "crown continuum" research?

This is pretty damn interesting.

UW ftw.

28 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo