Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for DanteUK

Real Name DanteUK   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DanteUK
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Linux user.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 21, 2009, 11:08
Total Comments 48 (Suspect)
User ID 55099

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
2. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 10, 2013, 16:39 DanteUK

Just more proof Windows 8 is intended for touch screen, they couldn't even be bothered to QA the mouse support!
Windows is dying.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending
12. Re: QUAKE LIVE Going Standalone; Linux and OS X Support Ending Nov 9, 2013, 06:35 DanteUK

Just cancelled by subscription. Used to love it, played on Linux.
So now I'll be back to play normal Q3 as that runs perfectly on Linux.
So sad they took something that worked on Mac and Linux and decided to break it so it doesn't. Purely laziness I think since the core code is already compatible it wouldn't take more that a few days to make the standalone client work on the other platforms too, it's not like they have to re-write anything all the current code is already working on all three platforms.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2013, 06:40.

News Comments > DICE: Linux Needs "One Killer App or Game"
36. Re: DICE: Linux Needs Oct 14, 2013, 07:47 DanteUK

wtf_man wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 18:57:
Linux needs a large quantity of Commercial Software support in order to be viable on the desktop (Not just games).

While open source has some great stuff out there... some of it will just never replace commercial software on the professional level (Like GIMP VS. Photoshop).

The only way Linux could ever become viable on the desktop is if there was a sudden WAVE of popular commercial software available for the platform. NOT just one "Killer App".

Wrong, just wrong.

The whole point of Linux is it's "Open" the masses of people that work on and with Linux don't really want lots of 'Commercial' closed source software on their machine.
Most hardcore Linux and open source fans don't even like NVidia despite the fact that NVidia supports Linux by supplying very good quality stable video drivers that give great performance. why? because they are closed source. They would rather use the open source driver that is buggy and slower.

I've been using Linux on my laptops and desktops ( and servers for work ) for years now ( with proper Nvidia drivers so I get the performance! ) I've played a number of games, mostly from id Software as they did native Linux ports but recently I've been playing games using 'wine'. It's tricky to make it work and it's not perfect but then last time I played a game on Windows 7 I got a few random crashes and a hung machine ( Skyrim, I'm looking at you ).

In terms of software the majority of software I use on my Linux machine is also available for free on Windows. why, because it's open source and a lot of open source code is written to be open for as many people as possible so it's written using open APIs ( like OpenGL, OpenAL, QT etc ) then it's pretty simple to port to Windows, Linux, Mac etc.

Companies that write code that can only be compiled on Windows are short-sited and lazy, it doesn't take a lot of work to write application that are cross platform, just some up front planning.

I hear my wife and kids and colleagues at work all complaining about Windows 8 and Windows 7 crashes / hangs / slowness / general issues, this hasn't changed in forever. I like saying "I don't have that problem, I don't run Windows!" - That doesn't mean I don't have problems, Linux is software, therefore it's not perfect, but it's harder to complain about something that's free ( and don't make that point that time is not free so time solving problems = cost - I spend no more time with problems on my Linux machines than an average Windows user! ).

So my final comment is simple, if you guys like paying M$ for their OS and like paying for lots of Commercial Software then keep ignoring Open Source. Linux and Open Source software is everywhere and doing very nicely thank you.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
70. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:00 DanteUK

Played games on Linux for years, some native ( Quake3/ETQW/Doom3 ) some using Wine ( www.winehq.org ).
I remember when one of the Unreal Tournament demos was a liveCD with Linux+NVidia drivers and UT demo preinstalled, just slip in the disk, boot and play - that was more than 10 years ago I think.

Windows has got worse, Linux has got better.

I used to rant 10-15 years ago about developers using DirectX and locking themselves into MS. At the time OpenGL was better than DirectX, then eventually DirectX improved. Today OpenGL can still handle AAA titles and OpenAL and other standard libraries are available for the other things that DirectX "wraps to make dev's lives easier (lazier)".

So this announcement is not a surprise, just wonder what took them so long.

Irony: techies hate Windows 8 because it's dumbed down and designed for a touch screen that the vast majority don't have - but instead they like the idea of an OS dumbed down to basically only browse and play games on a TV with a controller!

Thanks, but I prefer my Linux with a proper desktop and open for every use I can think of.

PS: those complaining they don't want their gaming rig in the family room on the main TV all fall into two categories, Kids living at home and Married guys with a wife that actually wants to watch TV, not watch her husband play some stupid game. ( I fall into the later category )

News Comments > TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC"
19. Re: TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC" Feb 6, 2013, 17:24 DanteUK

Thanks Timothee for all your hard work on the Linux ports, I played Quake3, Doom3, Quake4 and ET:QW a lot on Linux and loved the fact I didn't have to boot into windows play my games.
I played Rage on Windows and always held a little hope I'd be able to replay on Linux one day, then you left id, a sad day for Linux users.

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
47. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 17:17 DanteUK

So sad Carmack has given up on Linux when it has so much to offer.

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 09:39:
People are just whining because they have to buy windows.

Yep, it takes a lot of extra disk space and costs a lot of money just so I can play an already expensive game on my otherwise perfectly usable PC running free software to do everything, except top 10% of games.
The rest will work either natively or using wine.
I duel boot, the last time I booted into windows was to play FarCry3, not booted Windows since I completed it, won't have need to boot it again till I splash out on another major title like that, maybe in a couple of months time, maybe longer.

Personally I enjoyed playing Quake3 and QuakeLive, Doom3 and ET:QW and Quake 4, all using native Linux ports.
I except it's not going to make you much money, but a couple of weeks to do a port is not that big a deal if it opens up the game to larger number of people.

OpenGL is perfectly able to handle the graphics, OpenAL is pretty close for the sound( but not perfect ) I'm sure there are fairly standard libraries for input code. All of which should mean a native port is possible and WILL run better than using Wine.
If Windows was perfect we wouldn't need Linux!! so why bother emulating it!! it just adds another layer of crap between the game code and real libraries that do the work.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 11, 2013, 05:18 DanteUK

Uh, they better not be moving all the children from Messenger on to Skype!!!!

My kids and all their friends all used Messenger, Skype was for work and adults!!

Hating what MS has done with Skype since 'buying' it. Obvoiusly their crappy programmers weren't able to rip out the VOIP stuff from Skype and plug it into Messenger, so gave up and decided to scrap Messenger and go with something they didn't write

One day MS will do something right, I just suspect it won't be in my lifetime

News Comments > Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?
6. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 11:24 DanteUK

Really is looking like the PC dying by degrees.
Microsoft making incredible hard to duel boot new hardware because it's locked to their key
Now Intel forcing CPU and Motherboard to be a single unit.

I guess corporations hate the enthusiast because we are the only ones that can call them on the bullshit they come out with and push their products to the real limits ( rather than the fake ones they tells the masses about ).

It also seems corporations make the mistake of thinking to make something simple you have to dumb it down to the point that only a child is happy with it ( simple because they don't know any better! )

We need more open systems like the Raspberry Pi but with more power!

News Comments > Minecraft for Raspberry Pi
1. Re: Minecraft for Raspberry Pi Nov 24, 2012, 18:02 DanteUK

Wow, final be able to play something other than quake on my Raspberry Pi.

I wonder what they are re-writing, now way that can still be java, memory requirements to high and performance too low.

PC Gaming > Windows 8 "a disaster for the PC space", and Steam isn't, or doesn't have the potential to one day?
2. Re: Windows 8 Oct 31, 2012, 08:22 DanteUK

Oh, sorry Gabe, I just wanted to play the 40 game I just bought, maybe I should wait till you're less busy and it's more convenient to you.

Steams sucks always has. I don't want it on my Linux machine, but then installing Linux has just gone from dead simple to a nightmare thanks to Secure-boot.
Every single laptop and PC in PC World today was installed with Windows 8 and the staff have no idea which if any of the laptops can have secure boot turned off. If it's not Microsoft they know nothing.
Microsoft have killed the PC. I remember when the P stood for personal. It was mine to install whatever OS I wanted, whatever software I owned whenever I wanted. Not today. Today we have MSC's (MicroSoft Computers) or AC ( Apple Computers ) all locked down and restricted.
The PC is almost dead. only legacy hardware remains open now.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 12, 2012, 08:42 DanteUK

1 in 5?
Good, saves some bandwidth.
Shame it's not 4 in 5, I think more than half the people that use the internet shouldn't and more half of those are American!
Personally I'd like to see the internet restricted to read only for those with an IQ less than 3 digits.
Although with the way IQ's are dropping in the UK that would also help global internet speeds!

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
127. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 11, 2012, 18:54 DanteUK

Hate to bring the thread back on topic but ...

Anyone else get 4/5 times more Crash-To-Desktop than before the Patch/HD DLC ?

I rolled back all the mods, updated my video drivers but still I'm getting CTD's every 10 minutes or so.
If I disable the HD update using the nexas mod manager thingy then I can play for 20-30minutes before I get a CTD.

Really annoying as before the last patches I'd played just over a 100 hours with only maybe 2 or 3 CTD's a week.

Only thing I've read on other forums is dropping sound quality in windows to 44 from 48 helps. I tried that, didn't help.

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
42. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 11, 2012, 18:28 DanteUK

Would get my nod for GOY 2011 - for 2012 is sucks big time.
Last set of patches and HD content makes it crash to desktop every couple of minutes, completely unplayable now. Rollback all mods and HD update and turn down a few graphics settings that where fine before and it's almost playable again - nice work on QA for that patch guys!
I guess they already got all awards and stuff.

News Comments > Timothee Besset Leaves id
14. Re: Timothee Besset Leaves id Feb 1, 2012, 05:37 DanteUK

panbient wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 05:13:
I remember getting Q3 back in the day then turning around and immediately going back to the original Unreal Tournament.

Very much a matter of taste, I remember well the real battle, Q3 vs UT.
Personally I preferred Q3, just felt better. I've not followed what happened to UT, do people still play it online ?
I know a couple of years ago I played Q3 online and was surprised to see how many people and servers there still were. These days I still play Quake3Live about once a week, never any problems finding server with a people on to play with.

Actually a quick look at a US server tracker in the middle of the morning (UK) I'm guessing it's night still most of the US:
Q3 players active: 100(aprox couldn't be bothered it add them up)
UT3 players active: 4

I guess that answers my question on Q3 vs UT

13. Re: Timothee Besset Leaves id Feb 1, 2012, 05:24 DanteUK

InBlack wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 03:50:
Sure Doom3 had purty graphwhorix but last I checked id's games were famed for their multiplayer and gameplay.

If Doom4 doesnt have pentagrams, halucinogenic levels, serious disembowlment and hundreds of monsters trying to eat your brains at the same time then Im not interested....

Still amazes me that people criticize id for not copying themselves and releasing 'another Doom clone' but with a shiny new engine. Doom3 worked for me as a game because the game was designed around the engine, the engine did 100% realtime lighting and shadows, this meant it was perfect for a suspense and scare type game. If you just want 'hundreds of monsters trying to eat your brains' then play Serious Sam or one of the other games that stayed on that path. Imagine the scene: you're walking into a creeping dark space station, there are flickering lights, moving shadows, strange subtle noises, suddenly out of no where comes 100 cartoony demons charging at you! - Doesn't work for me, all tension is gone and it's back to run-shoot-run ignore the environment and shoot anything that moves ( including the shadows! ) a waste of a game engine.

11. Re: Timothee Besset Leaves id Feb 1, 2012, 05:10 DanteUK

Definitely not too young and been in IT for 30 years.
Personally I loved Rage and it worked out the box on my PC, but then I've an old Nvidia card and not a new ATI card where ATI screwed up on their driver releases. I fail to see how id can be blamed so much for a bad PC port when the biggest issues where caused by ATI releasing a driver with the wrong .dll's in it!
I'll repeat, the game was very playable and looked great on my PC from day of install - my rig is NOT a top of the range, in fact my Nvidia card I think is THE min spec card listed on the box! A couple of tweaks to the config file and unless I span 180 really fast I never saw any texture popping.

Yes Rage wasn't great, but it was very playable and I completed it 3 times before moving on to Skyrim for 100s of hours. I will say this. Skyrim is a 100 times bigger in scope etc than Rage, but during all my play time with Rage it NEVER crashed to desktop once!! Skyrim has crashed to desktop so many times I've lost count, it's also produced a bluescreen of death 3 times - actually the first time I've seen that on Windows 7!

In terms of graphics, I loved Rages views and vista and texture on the NPC's etc was great, some game world objects and surfaces looked crap but then I've never played a game yet where there wasn't some surface or texture that looked low res because it was wrapped around some object strangely. The fact that Rages views had no repeating textures was really noticeable when switching to Skyrim! still I dread to think of the install size of Skyrim if the world was done using a Mega Texture!

I know it's fashionable now to bash id, but Rage ( at least on most Nvidia setups ) didn't suck - was fun - looked great.

Back on Topic:

Sad to hear Timo is leaving, was really looking forward to playing Rage again natively on Linux
Was actually surprised Rage started and ran using wine on Linux, just was not playable at the same res as on my Windows 7 install. I'm sure that a native port would be very playable. ( just as it is for Doom3 and ET:QW ).

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
148. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 22, 2011, 04:31 DanteUK

1) Run at you.
2) Sit behind cover and fire at you in the same three animations over and over and over and over again.
3) Switch cover randomly.
4) Flee.
And that's it. Repeat 20,000 times.
For some reason statements like this really annoy me.
If I start shooting at you what options do you have precisely ?
Flaking is almost impossible in most of the room layouts and is basically a process of switching cover - during which time you shoot me. They also throw grenades.
So what other magically moves should they do?
Yes sometimes they switch cover when it seems a silly thing to do but then staying still is pretty silly 'cos someone will just lob a primed grenade at you.
Come on, I'm waiting to be amazed at same cleaver move that's never been seem before from an AI in a FPS.

News Comments > RAGE Patched
30. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 17:17 DanteUK

I wonder if I should even bother with this patch, enjoying the game so far, looks great, runs great and it's fun.
Obviously I'm using an Nivia card but actually it's only a 8800.

Even more incredible - I got it running on Linux using wine. Obviously it was really technically and complicated but I repeat the instructions here for the brave:
start shell window
$ cd <install folder>
$ wine Rage.exe
<play game - have fun>

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
42. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 14, 2011, 16:49 DanteUK

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 12:34:
Some posts indicate that they can't remember their Steam login. How do they remember their bluesnews login? Why don't they just set up Steam to remember their login?
Easy, I visit bluesnews almost daily, I've not touched steam since HL2, my machine has been re-installed a couple of times since then and I've never had a reason to install Steam. That's why can't remember the password or account name for it.
Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 12:34:
One post indicates that they hate Steam so much they will buy the retail game and then never install it...and wait until they get the pirated version and claim that the illegal version is easier to install and play...what? To be honest I wouldn't know where to start to even find a pirated copy of a game.
I'm not proud of it but I do and it really is easy, first time was to play Portal under Linux(played great too), since Valve have never bothered releasing a steam client for Linux and haven't helped the people working on Wine make it work correctly ( at that time at least ). So yes I have a few retail boxes sitting on my shelf that have never had the seal broken on the discs. It's completely crazy that I pre-ordered the original Crysis, then downloaded, install, completed before my sodding pre-order actually arrived! so much for USA getting games first and UK having to wait.

Steam still sounds like a waste of disc space, memory and cpu cycles to me. It gives my nothing I actually want. I know a lot of people are happy to buy and download games via steam and good luck to them but it's not something I like.
I'll buy at retail ( well Amazon probably ) and have a box with discs.
I guarantee there will be a pirate version that is simple to just unzip and run without steam.
I do NOT endorse pirating games for profit or cheap loser that can't even earn the price of a game - they are reason we have shit like Steam to deal with in the first place!

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
19. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 07:22 DanteUK

Almost forgot, one of my favourite things about id games is how simple they are to install, move, uninstall etc, simple files in a folder. So if I'm running low of disk or need to move to a faster drive it takes just a few minutes to copy the files and change the shortcut. Simple.
Plus all those times when Windows gets screwed and you have to re-install, id games, no problem, just leave then on a separate drive and after windows is re-installed you can play, no need to re-install the games. So Windoze registry shit to deal with!
Does steam dump everything in it's own proprietary file system in cooked files? so the only people that can do anything with it are experienced game crackers ? does it still use a ton of registry shit so a re-install of steam and re-configure of steam files is needed after a windows reinstall?

Of course the biggest thing I liked about id games was the native Linux client, dual boot to Linux add the native Linux client to the windows install folder and play under Linux or Windows, simple.

Looks like simple is replaced by the Steam mandatory DRM and general malware client.

48 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo