Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1242 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 31, 2012, 22:30 ^Drag0n^

You would have loved the HP Blackbird case. I still have mine. Will never surrender it.  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 30, 2012, 01:06 ^Drag0n^

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 23:37:
Might?

LMAO

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 21:37 ^Drag0n^

DangerDog wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 17:06:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:40:
This is ridiculous.

Seriously? All they are doing is putting his work on one page for people that woke up to the news and said, "Damn, what movies did he do other than Top Gun?"

I could only name three. I was surprised to see how many good films were there that I would not have known about otherwise.

The one that pisses me off is seeing how FDA "Agent" Novitsky gets away with wasting millions of taxpayer dollars pursuing doping in Pro Sports. So far, he got Barry Bonds 30 days of house arrest for purgery. Oooo.

You might want to check out IMDb.com

Lots of great info about your favorite actor, director, producer with 90% less shilling.

No argument there, my point was more that Apple did nothing less douchy than the various record and movie studios do when someone dies.

Another (macabre) fact a friend in media told me is that most of the media outlets have obituary pieces on file for various politicians and celebs "just in case."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 13:40 ^Drag0n^

This is ridiculous.

Seriously? All they are doing is putting his work on one page for people that woke up to the news and said, "Damn, what movies did he do other than Top Gun?"

I could only name three. I was surprised to see how many good films were there that I would not have known about otherwise.

The one that pisses me off is seeing how FDA "Agent" Novitsky gets away with wasting millions of taxpayer dollars pursuing doping in Pro Sports. So far, he got Barry Bonds 30 days of house arrest for purgery. Oooo.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:32 ^Drag0n^

Didn't they say that about Vista?

*ducks*

News Comments > More on New Black Isle
14. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 13:30 ^Drag0n^

"Wait, guys...I got this idea. Let's make like we're reviving IP, then we'll sell rights to someone else. Then, we'll start a game of our own in a different genre in the same universe, and sue them over breach of contract, settle out of court. PROFIT!"

Oh, wait.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 22, 2012, 01:18 ^Drag0n^

That was one of the most informative (and scary) tech articles I've read this year.

I hope Blue salts his hash ;-)

^D^

News Comments > OnLive Layoffs Follow-up
21. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 18:47 ^Drag0n^

Like I said before, if we can't get streaming video to work without a hitch here in Silicon Valley, streaming gaming will never work. If this VC wants to do something useful with his money, he should put it in a barrel and set it on fire...at least he'll get heat out of it.  

News Comments > OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways
26. Re: OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways Aug 17, 2012, 18:49 ^Drag0n^

This entire idea was destined to fail from the start. If OnDemand video can't be artifact/garble free here in Silicon Valley, there sure is no way in hell lagless video game streaming would ever work for the 99.999% that make up the rest of the real world.

A flawed idea from the start. In so many ways.

General Discussion > BSG star Tahmoh Penikett (Helo) to star in Science Fiction short film
3. Re: BSG star Tahmoh Penikett (Helo) to star in Science Fiction short film Aug 1, 2012, 02:13 ^Drag0n^

I applaud anyone following their dream; I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to seeing your work...

^D^

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
72. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 02:06 ^Drag0n^

What I want to know is when did Gabe become "gaben"? I wasn't aware he had been elevated to johnc-level status...

^D^

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
57. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 18:13 ^Drag0n^

Freedom isn't free (TM)  

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
65. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 19:46 ^Drag0n^

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 19:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 18:47:
Are you saying if I am able/allowed to resell my software it makes the software business no longer viable?

I was merely trying to bring to light that you can't compare manufactured goods and the economics that surround them to software and their economics because that are simply two different types of products. A Rolls-Royce has far different regulations and manufacturing costs/concerns than making toothpicks.

Just because Product A is composed of Atoms and Product B is composed of Atoms, doesn't mean that the policies and economics surrounding the two products are interchangeable.

Let me try a simple example. When you buy a Bookend, the manufacturer makes a profit on your purchase. It cost them $1 to make, you bought it for $5. You are free to do whatever the fuck you want with it now because the maker of the bookend got the profit her deserved.

When you buy Assassin's Creed, the publisher does not make a profit. It cost them $30,000,000 to make, you bought it for $60. They need another 500,000 of you just to break even. If at this point, before they his that break even point you start handing out your copy to friends, than that makes it that much harder for them to hit the break even point.

Sure, they can make more copies for less than a penny, but eventually the market will reach saturation and no one will need Assassin's Creed and they can't sell anymore to be able to break even.

Can you see the difference now?
That is actually a horribly flawed argument.

The bookend manufacturer has capital costs, overhead, material cost, G&A, etc. that all must be recouped, and no manufacturer worth their salt only makes one of an item, even in the best JIT lines.

These are more than comparable models. The argument for resale of "right to use" (when transfer is total and irrevocable) is the same as the argument for resale of console games, or books, or DVDs, or any other wares.

What is really the question here is will enough of the market withhold from buying a digital copy in order to wait for resale of a "used" version, and thus make the software companies wither out and die? I doubt it. History has yet to show that happening with DVDs, console games, or VHS tapes.

When you buy a game, you are buying a license to view/use it; no different than what you pay for a DVD or a book.

Being able to sell your right to use should not only be legal, but it is certainly morally acceptable.

IMHO.

^D^

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
29. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 00:20 ^Drag0n^

wtf_man wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:52:
I also have zero social networking accounts, nor do I visit social networking sites.

ALMOST zero; I mean, you have an account here

^D^

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?
28. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:40:
Gordon not talking also enforces the idea that he's just a tool.

Agreed.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?
4. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 27, 2012, 21:43 ^Drag0n^

What is this "Half-Life" you speak of?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 22, 2012, 01:04 ^Drag0n^

No! It's the Scientologists! They want to trap our souls and dump them in a volcano!  

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers Promise Performance Boosts
6. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Promise Performance Boosts Jun 19, 2012, 00:57 ^Drag0n^

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 17:03:
You see Linus drivin' 'round town with the OS he loves and he's like 'Fuck you!' I guess Linux as an OS wasn't enough and he's like 'Fuck you and fuck it too!'

He said if I was MS you'd still be with me, 'Huh, ain't that some shit?'And although there's pain in his chest he'll never wish you the best except 'Fuck you!'

If hereby nominate you for a Grammy in the category of awesome.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 19, 2012, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

Regardless of who created it, it is both impressive and scary at the same time. The article brings up great points on these virii that approach a near self aware condition with extreme methods used to employ protection against gaining knowledge of their inner workings.  

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
75. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 22:59 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 18:11:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 17:54:
Personally, I love how these bozos say that the Steam Sale "is damaging IP," then proceed to deep discount no more than 2 weeks later.

Proof once again that the only truth in marketing are the lies.

If anyone wonders why I care about getting it right, it's because no one listens to anyone whose facts are wrong (like some guy making valid complaints about the government then throwing in that Obama is a Muslim - be wrong about something and get written off entirely...), and anyone saying EA is hypocritical here has their facts wrong:

1) Head of Origin USA says he believes discounts of 75% or greater damages IP (a bad way of phrasing but a good point - can any of us say we don't expect to pay less for games due to Steam Sales? I sure do. I absolutely wait for a 75% off sale for most of my purchases. That doesn't mean I think that the damage isn't made up in other ways)
2) Head of Origin EMEA clearly does not agree and goes with deep discounts. It's an entirely different territory run by entirely different people responsible for their own pricing
3) Origin USA discounts to 40%, which is a shoddy sale and obviously not a deep discount
4) ???
5) Everyone calls them hypocrites

I can see why people think it's hypocritical, but the people responsible for those deep discounts in Europe are not the same people, and do not report to the same people, that said that deep discounts are bad. It's like how some soda companies in Europe say high fructose corn syrup is bad but the US divisions say it's fine. Different people are running them and have different opinions - as small as the world is these days we're not yet at the point of making every division be 100% homogenized.
And 40% isn't hypocritical because it's a measly sale that no one should care about. Would 50% have been so hard? There's a much larger psychological bump there...

Usually, we agree, but We're going to have to agree to disagree here.

When you have multiple people, speaking in an official capacity as a representative of their employer, and they contradict each others talking points? Hypocritical.

I'd have to disagree that 40% is not a deep discount; its darn near half off. A respectable amount even for a sale going on between 12/25 and 1/1 in retail stores.

My comment that the only truth are the lies marketing tells? Pretty much operandi de facto for any marketing team; say what your audience wants to hear... Appeal to people don't want to be part of one group in one setting, then appeal to the disenfranchised in another.

Deep discounting, regardless of platform, doesn't change the payment a publisher gets-they have to agree to it, or the retailer has to make up the difference in a lead-loss scenario, and pays the publisher the difference. There has never been a game sold where EA wasn't paid the money they demanded for the sku.

My (admittedly oversimplified) comment was a remark on how EA (and Activision) are just plain horrid at image management, and rarely have a coherent company line on just about anything.

1242 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo