Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1246 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
48. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 01:58 ^Drag0n^

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:40:
Jensen wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:36:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:33:
iPad was a copy of Android tablets from China made in 2009, ect...
That's just silly.
By your standards, there is nothing that isn't a copy of something else.

The claim I keep hearing that the iPad must be new and innovative because it runs off an OS that was made for touchscreens and the iOS powered iPad was the first one to do it, then Android. But Android tablets were out for almost a full year before the iPad.
Nice attempt of trying to derail the question though.

The iPad is simply a large iPhone ...without the phone. I guess that would make it a large iPod touch.

So how again is that a copy of a tablet running an OS that came out two years after the iPhone/iPod Touch? I am really missing something here.

Look, I get it. Some of you hate Apple like Activision. Some don't. But don't feed me some bullshit story that the company Jobs and Wozniak built didn't contribute wildly to the advancement of the ecosystem of personal computing. That's like calling Sir Isaac Newton a hack because the you don't like the British for their treatment of Ireland.

The iPad is the device that made tablets VIABLE in the US. Sure, others tried to make them before, and they failed. Apple figured out the economics and features that the majority wanted, and catered to them. And they succeeded.

The (conservative) figures are they sell anywhere from 800-1500 iPads per hour. Hardly a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

Look, the iPad, iPhone, Hell, any smartphone, aren't made for people like the majority here that tinker. It's not made for us. We're PC gamers. we like being able to mess with things. But the i-line? They are consumer items, not hacker/hobbyist tools, and as such, are developed with the appropriate UI complexity in mind. Like Toasters. Blu-ray players, xboxes, whatever. Made to be as intuitive as possible. That's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. They specialize in accessible technology, not the latest and most powerful. And it works. Both for their shareholders and their customers...there's no denying Apple is succeeding in the face of an abundantly shitty economy, and I'm totally ok with it being an American company with a huge campus in California succeeding, rather than some shoddy sweatshop making beige boxes in Malaysia.

Now, before you make the mistake of labeling me an Apple fanatic, I'm not. I'm actually waiting for Windows 8 in the hopes that they actually pull off that "scalable interface" that can tell if you have a keyboard + mouse attached, and give you the appropriate interface complexity. That would just kick ass.

But I'm not going to sit here and let people throw drivel around about how Apple is a company that never innovated. They've done plenty of that. It just may not be your particular cup of tea.

^D^

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2011, 02:12.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:27 ^Drag0n^

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:18:
But they have applied for and gotten incredibly wide ranging patents on very low level concepts that nobody should have had issued.

In your opinion. The USPTO apparently disagreed.

To clear this up for the layman, in order to be issued a patent, you have to show a design that has not been documented or disclosed to anyone (aside from your attorneys and the USPTO) for it even to be considered. If it is unique (i.e. no "prior art" on the idea exists), and if it is not already an idea in the public domain, they look at the patent to see if it indeed adds value and is not "intutive to someone skilled in the art."

People think the patents Apple gets are BS, but they aren't. Now, if you want to argue if the USPTO should be granting patents for business processes, UI, Software, mathematical equations, or economic models, that is completely different.

but within the confines of existing patent law what they are doing is legal, and required to defend their IP from knockoff shops, be they here in the US or in China.

^D^

Sidenote: The USPTO gets at least 1 guy a year trying to patent shoelaces. Never works.

8. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:13 ^Drag0n^

I refuse to feel sorry for Google. They make more money than God, and own most of the real estate here in Mountain View. They are pretty much the only game in town in the search engine market, and have forced every viable competitor out of same market, so excuse me for not feeling sorry for them at all. Furthermore, I refuse to feel sorry for a lawyer talking about how the other team's lawyers are making him actually work for the atrocious fees they make as patent attorneys.

From the point of an inventor with several assigned patents, I can say this: if you don't defend your patent, you will lose it. That covers probably 90+ percent of the litigation in the system right now.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about the end of the career of the man that saved the company he co-founded from the brink of extinction. Twice.

For the record, my remark was aimed at Steve Jobs resigning with class.

That gets a kudos in my book.

^D^

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2011, 20:21.

3. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:03 ^Drag0n^

Godspeed, Steve. You're a better man than your critics give you credit for.

^D^

News Comments > GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons
54. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 19:48 ^Drag0n^

Razorclaw wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 19:27:
haha gamestop. why not discard the serial key as well since the game is steam only

Why stop there? Just give them a post-it with the Steam Key written on it in a sealed envelope for $60.

^D^

53. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 19:46 ^Drag0n^

People that think the publishers are bad really don't get just what a bunch of shady currs these Gamestop XOs are.

"Now that you caught us red-handed, um, well, we're not selling it!"

^D^

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
45. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 19:03 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 16:43:
Now, are the piracy numbers that are being reduced through DRM (and that actually lead to would-be pirates going out and buying the game) enough to offset the lost sales? We don't really know. But seeing as how DRM rarely works (it's usually cracked before the game is even out), I'm going to say that, no, it doesn't.

I've got to back you up there. As long as a hacker can get the binaries and is not averse to going at the code at the assembly-level, you will *Always* see cracked versions of the software, regardless of the DRM. Period.

Steam games have been cracked to not require Steam
SecuROM games have been hacked to eliminate disc checks
Ubi games have been hacked to eliminate the pings to home.

DRM doesn't stop the hardcore pirate hacker; it just does what any other lock does: it keeps honest people honest.

The real question becomes when does DRM go too far?

Would you want 5 locks, a deadbolt, a retinal scanner, glucose tester, and a thumbprint reader just to open the door to your home?

Probably not.

Well, maybe nin would think that hardware would be cool, but besides him

^D^

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
44. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 18:53 ^Drag0n^

One positive thing out of this?

It shows that Steam can, should Valve want to, implement rental or playtime-limited trial releases of product(s) with few changes to their base software.

I actually think that is pretty damn cool.

^D^

News Comments > No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3
11. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 24, 2011, 18:46 ^Drag0n^

I never thought I'd say this, but Activision's offering seems more compelling right now (if you like this style game):

BF3:
--Always on DRM
--no dedicated servers
--locked at 30fps
--Can be taken away from you if you stop using origin for 2 years

CODMW3:
--Steam DRM
--Dedicated user run server option
--60 fps target
--you lose it only if Gabe chokes on a meal, and has no will.

o.O

^D^

6. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 24, 2011, 18:28 ^Drag0n^

Nacelle wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:21:
Yet another battlefield game that won't be getting any attention at the LAN parties. Why can't they push us an unranked version to use or something.

HEATHEN!

How dare ye spake words that might ad value for the consumer!

^D^

5. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 24, 2011, 18:26 ^Drag0n^

Well this was a total surprise...

Not.

^D^

40. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 18:14 ^Drag0n^

Serule wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:04:
Not that I'm defending gamestop (I unfortunately work there..) but can I ask how many of you who posted actually use onlive? Not that I agree that taking it out of the box was right.. but really.. how much damage would it do?

Whether or not you use it isn't the point; the point is they are breaking a manufacturer's seal on a product, removing content, and selling it at the full price, minus one of the items.

Whether I chose to use the service, or give the code to someone that does, is irrellevant: They stole material from a package, and sold it under false pretense.

That's actually breaking the law.

^D^

37. Re: GameStop Discarding Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Coupons Aug 24, 2011, 17:51 ^Drag0n^

How the hell can they view a license for a single game sold at their P.O.S. store as promoting a competitor?

I'd just call SE/Eidos and say "WTF? Gamestop stole my OnLive code. May I have another?"

Wow. that's just obnoxious. would they tear open a game that had a coupon for 3 free months of XBOX mag or PC Gamer too?

^D^

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
68. Re: SSAO and Mouse Lag issue (potential fix) Aug 24, 2011, 06:18 ^Drag0n^

AdamK47 wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 06:10:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 20:03:
Yeah, it definitely looks like PC SSAO is busted (Eidos Forums with Screenshots)

And, apparently, whatever is broken, is causing a mouse response issue for several people.

Again, I'm going to try this one out when I get home. Thank god I think SSAO looks pretty bad in most games... ;-)

^D^

As one of the developers posted, the SSAO implemented on the PC is different. It's a true implementation of SSAO. The console version uses shadowing. It's not true SSAO on the console.

Well, either way it broke the mouse when it is on, so something is wrong with SSAO.

The whole idea of SSAO is to generate lifelike shadows and radiosity, so I was a little perplexed that they'd say what they did.

^D^

62. Re: SSAO and Mouse Lag issue (potential fix) Aug 23, 2011, 23:50 ^Drag0n^

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 20:03:
Yeah, it definitely looks like PC SSAO is busted (Eidos Forums with Screenshots)

And, apparently, whatever is broken, is causing a mouse response issue for several people.

Again, I'm going to try this one out when I get home. Thank god I think SSAO looks pretty bad in most games... ;-)

^D^

Said it in the other thread, but:

I just verified turning OFF SSAO in the setup app made the mouse lag go away completely.

Good thing it seemed to have little real effect on the visuals.

Someone else mentioned something I hadn't really noticed until I read it: when you walk diagonally, you walk about 1.414 times faster (sqrt of 2).

That is kinda whack.

But the game is still a blast!

^D^

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 23, 2011, 23:48 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:02:
Apparently the SSAO implementation is causing some mouse acceleration issues. I hope that gets patched too.

I just verified this: day zero patch fixed the issue a little bit, but turning OFF SSAO in the setup app made the problem go away completely.

Good thing it seemed to have little real effect on the visuals.

Someone else mentioned something I hadn't really noticed until I read it: when you walk diagonally, you walk about 1.414x faster (sqrt of 2).

That is kinda whack.

^D^

57. SSAO and Mouse Lag issue (potential fix) Aug 23, 2011, 20:03 ^Drag0n^

^D^

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 19:46 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 19:38:
Maybe this patch is what's keeping me from running it, though I guess I really should update my 8 month old drivers.

Creston

LMAO Umm....maybe.

^D^

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 19:37 ^Drag0n^

From the Steam Update Notes for the patch:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Update Released
Product Update - Valve
An issue was found that caused some users to be unable to start the game on specific machines. Specifically, the presence of older ATI/AMD drivers, also on machines with NVidia hardware, would cause the game to crash on startup. This patch is a hot-fix for that particular issue. On top of this, it also increases the number of save-slots from 20, like on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, to 99.

Square-Enix, Eidos Montreal and Nixxes are committed to supporting this title and will continue to monitor for any further issues and provide additional patches in the future if required.

We hope this will help you enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 19:23 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 19:08:
I have reasonable confidence to expect that this issue dissapears in the first patch.

Speaking of, I got a 12.8 meg patch when I got home tonight.

Awesome! Hopefully it will be a non-issue, as I'd hate to lose a graphics feature that's been a staple since Crysis came out.

^D^

1246 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo