Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1246 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 on GOG.com
28. Re: Wing Commander 3 on GOG.com Sep 13, 2011, 17:36 ^Drag0n^

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 13:11:
Bought my first computer (486 DX2-50) largely to play this game and Ultima VII. Only had 2mb of ram in it, so it took half an hour of HD paging to load into each mission. I spent all that time eagerly watching the loading bar.

Also remember my dad wandering in once and commenting, "Hey, that's Ginger Lynn!"
"Who's Ginger Lynn?"
"Uh...nothing."

Was that before or after your mom punched him?

On a sidenote: I still have my WC3 Collectors Edition and everything that came with it. What an awesome game. I agree, WC4 was probably the best in the series, but I upgraded just to play this one...AMD 486DX2-100. Seems so slow by today's standards...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
47. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 19:51 ^Drag0n^

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 16:57:
The royalty arguement has always been bullshit. Do the guys who built your house or car continue to get money everytime it's used? Or the guys who made the stuff that made that stuff? Or the guys who provied the raw materials to make the stuff that made that stuff? Where does it stop? Perhaps the oil companies should get royalties for everything made with their petroleum or they shouldn't allow recycling! Where does the nonsense stop? As far as I'm concerned they don't have any right, just a whopping, unjustified sense of entitlement.

Honestly? I do agree with you (and Creston) on this.

But...the reality is that TV/Film/Music has always been royalty-based, and it seems clear that game publishers want to do the same.

It becomes a more complex item when you consider this: "How do you pay someone in advance for a product that you don't even know will sell?"

Believe me, I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of the people get paid based on how well a piece of entertainment sells, as opposed to a fixed dollar value, from the artist all the way down to the "boom boy" (what ever the hell that is).

Counter-argument would be, "just make sure you make a game that sells! Pay people a fair price for their work, and be done with it!"

And one could then argue ok, and we'd have CoD18:MW87 and Sims 2022 to look forward to the rest of our lives.

The old "be careful what you wish for" syndrome.

Just sayin'.

^D^

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 19:42 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 15:50:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 15:13:
Devs that make games worth reselling deserve the money to make more games like them.

No. Devs that make games worth KEEPING deserve the money to make more games like them.

Creston

Hahah! Fair enough. Point. Not quite what I meant, but it gave me a good chuckle...

^D^

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 15:13 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:48:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:39:
This is what infuriates developers.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

If your business model isn't working, find another business model. You make console games and they get resold? Stop making console games. Make games for the iPad, which can't be resold. (afaik).

Devs cry about piracy (justifiably), so they flee to the console, then they whine about used sales. If they made iPad games, they'd probably start whining about having to pay royalties to Apple.

And then when they finally find the ideal market where none of these things are an issue, they'll whine that they only sold 20 million copies rather than 30 million.

"WE'RE OWED A BILLION DOLLAR IN SALES!"
- game devs.

Creston

I semi-agree with your sentiments.

The real question here is one of the fundamental concept of what you own and what you are being sold.

I think the consumers assume ownership of the game media, and that they can buy sell, trade, burn, or use it for target practice.

The developers, on the other hand (much like film and recording industries), believe that they are selling an individual the "experience" of interacting with their art, and that when they aren't paid a royalty when someone other than the original owner uses that item, they are being denied fair compensation.

It is very much a two sided argument, and I think it's one where both sides are probably right--think about that for a minute before you respond.

As for my opinion? I'd be ok with a Steam-like system that allowed you to "re-sell" your old game, and give the devs a slice. Devs that make games worth reselling deserve the money to make more games like them.

IMO.

^D^

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 15:00 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:39:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:33:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:22:
Works for the auto industry, works for books, works for plenty of things

None of which are comparable to video games. At all.
Music is the only one that has a valid comparison, and that never had a monolith like GameStop.

*Points at Tower Records.

^D^

Used sales were never their primary income. In fact, the used section of their stores were always a small percentage of the retail space. And where are they now?

I'd also argue that a used record or tape dropped value much quicker than a game. And the market kind of proves this, again, with used records having been much more than 10% off the price of a new one.
48.1% of GameStop's gross profits come from used video game sales. This is what infuriates developers. That's 1.14 billion dollars, compared to 795 million in new sales.

Used? Oh.

*Points at Rasputin.

^D^

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2011, 12:33 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 12:22:
Works for the auto industry, works for books, works for plenty of things

None of which are comparable to video games. At all.
Music is the only one that has a valid comparison, and that never had a monolith like GameStop.

*Points at Tower Records.

^D^

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M
61. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 12, 2011, 12:02 ^Drag0n^

Seriously? Still?

^D^

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2011, 23:36 ^Drag0n^

Like any hemophiliac, when nicked by the harsh reality of life, the hypersensitive bleed out, shocked that some might find humor in an off-color oxymoron.

^D^

News Comments > Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public
139. Re: Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public Sep 10, 2011, 02:48 ^Drag0n^

If ever there were an argument to lock threads...  

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 9, 2011, 15:40 ^Drag0n^

Nomaar wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 14:51:
Krovven wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 13:25:
Blue, 2M = 2000 not 2 million. Minor thing, just saying.

You're trying to mix the world of corporate accounting with the world of journalism. Headline writers universally use K for thousands, M for millions and B for billions. Most of the world, apart from maybe the squinty eyed accountants, have no problem understanding this.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they invented it (see below )...

^D^

PS: Nice avatar....<g>

29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 9, 2011, 15:35 ^Drag0n^

Krovven wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 15:20:
I'll admit I forgot about Mega, which does use M as the abbreviation. M is still not a proper abbreviation for Million.

You better tell that to everyone on Wall Street. "M" has always been used to designate million, in terms of product ship quantity and dollars. Check the 10K filings for any company here.

^D^

9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M Sep 9, 2011, 13:40 ^Drag0n^

Siward wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 13:28:
Krovven wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 13:25:
Blue, 2M = 2000 not 2 million. Minor thing, just saying.

That would be 2k, not 2M.

LMAO...beat me to it.

^D^

News Comments > Xbox Steam?
2. Re: Xbox Steam? Sep 9, 2011, 13:39 ^Drag0n^

When I looked at the picture, all I thought was, "isn't that just a portal (sic.) for Valve game support for the xBox platform (i.e. tech support for l4d, HL, etc.?)

^D^

127. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 12:25 ^Drag0n^

After 126 posted comments, I'd just like to comment on one thing...the term used is an oxymoron, meaning it's a term that conflicts with itself. People have been so focussed on the individual words and assumptions on the personal feelings and attitudes of the individual naming the achievement in the internal build, that they've lost the forest in the trees--the words are conflicting, ridiculous, and make no sense when used together.

Seriously.

^D^

News Comments > Max Payne 3 in March 2012, Multiplayer Support Confirmed
17. Re: Max Payne 3 in March 2012, Multiplayer Support Confirmed Sep 9, 2011, 01:14 ^Drag0n^

No worries, Seph...my comments were more aimed at Krovven

^D^

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 9, 2011, 01:04 ^Drag0n^

Blue--

+1 for epic Back to the Future reference.

^D^

News Comments > Max Payne 3 in March 2012, Multiplayer Support Confirmed
15. Re: Max Payne 3 in March 2012, Multiplayer Support Confirmed Sep 9, 2011, 00:47 ^Drag0n^

No, I totally understand what film noir is as an art form, and I'm a huge fan of it...which was why I enjoyed the first two games immensely. What I'm saying is I'm not convinced it will fit that mold. I hope I'm wrong, but, like I said, I'm not liking the direction it seems to be headed in, and it's giving me doubts.

And of course I'd rather see Remedy do it. Just like I'd rather see id do Doom and Quake over 3rd parties.

^D^

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link Announcement
31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link Announcement Sep 9, 2011, 00:36 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 23:42:
DNForever wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 23:39:
Ahhh I'm trying to finish up my side quests before I go to China, and found out all the stuff about Megan's death, talking to her mom in the lobby and as soon as I click all the buttons to tell her about it the conversation wheel thing is there but no words or anyting to click on and I just stand there, can't even hit esc. What's the deal???

Is this when you're cashing in the quest (and presenting items)? If so, I read that's because you're missing an item (or that was the claim).

Actually, it's the order. You need to talk to the guy in the lobby both before and after you break into his office and the captain's office in DPD, otherwise he will glitch and dissappear, and you'll get the empty dialog selector bug mentioned above. It's a known bug in the quest.

Cloak and Daggers has a bug where one of the witnesses gang guards spawns out of map. You can overcome that one by going to the fire escape, standing on the rail. And shooting at his HUD designator (you'll hit him eventually).

I ran into both of the above bugs. I had to redo motherly ties completely because of the out of order glitch.

^D^

118. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 00:23 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 18:21:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:51:
Personally, I find this topic somewhat hypocritical, especially considering the content of Duke Nukem and all the "women" in the China maps of Deus Ex.

Huh? What about all the "women" in the China maps of Deus Ex?

Creston

Well, last I checked, half of the girls in the China Hub are prostitutes. Like I said...ironic.

^D^

71. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 17:58 ^Drag0n^

Drayth wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:52:
Gotta admit.. I dislike seeing Blue's dip into tabloid headlines, but whatever.

In other news - programmers are human beings. Film at 11.

Actually, it's not Blue's, it's Kotaku--which I've TOTALLY come to expect this from.

BTW: I agree with your profile pic.

^D^

1246 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo