Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours
10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours Sep 19, 2011, 18:53 ^Drag0n^

Agreed.

Whenever I hear people bitch about DLC costing $10, I like to remind them that the lunch that gave them the runs for four days cost more, and gave far less.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Foldit Helps Unravel AIDS Mystery
6. Re: Foldit Helps Unravel AIDS Mystery Sep 19, 2011, 18:19 ^Drag0n^

Heard this story on NPR this morning.

Short version: Supercomputers were unable to model/crack the AIDS protien; a key step in creating antiviral drugs to combat it.

Gamers playing FoldIt did it in 14 days.

Take that, Cray!

"Humiliation."

^D^

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2011, 17:44 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 17:07:
Blue wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 16:57:
mch wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 16:38:
There is actually a 'Pirate Bar' in my neighborhood on my way home where all employees are required to speak and dress like pirates.

I normally steer clear, since it's definitely one of those "go once and never again" type places, but I'm tempted to stop by tonight.

All I can picture is the place where Judge Reinhold got his new job after getting fired in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

"Hamilton, you're going over there as a representative of Captain Hook Fish and Chips. Part of our image, part of our appeal is that uniform, you know that."

All I know is I can't hear The Cars "Moving in Stereo" without thinking of Phobe Cates tits.

Oh, sorry. I forgot what I was going to type...

Um,

^D^

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC ~Five Hours Sep 19, 2011, 17:40 ^Drag0n^

"Adam Jensen, you ARE the missing link! Goodbye!"

(had to be done)...

^D^

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 2 Sep 19, 2011, 15:22 ^Drag0n^

Are you sure?

AUTOBOTS, TRANSFORM!

Gigabyte is the perfect name for an Autobot...

^D^

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
51. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 15:19 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 14:21:
Ruffiana wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 13:27:
Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 10:49:
"For all of you who complained that your Netflix bill doubled, we listened. Now, your Netflix bill will go back to what it used to be!"

I love how their arrogance kept right on going until hundreds of thousands of people quit their subscription. And now all of a sudden they're humble and customer-focused.

Creston

They increased the cost for their service by 60% and lost about 1.6% of their customers (400k of 25mil worldwide). I don't think there's any business out there that would consider that a failure.

You might want to focus on company value rather than subscribers. I think you'll see quite a different story.

Edit : nin's basically already said the same thing. Their stock's spiralling downward.

Creston

Stock price does not line up with their actual revenue, which is what I think Ruffiana was trying to say. Stock prices fluctuate based on who had too many helpings of baked beans for dinner. Earnings changes? That's the real indicator of how healthy the company is (and whether or not that stock will ride back up along with the rest of the sector).

^D^

38. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 12:55 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:41:
Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:32:
The studios don't have a single revenue stream, they make money everywhere so it would be need to be significant and so far it hasn't been. They are more than happy to make money licensing to things like cable on demand instead.

Yup. And it's cable that is instituting the caps. They already have a relationship there and they're going to want the caps lifted.

Will it be on all traffic or certain traffic? Who knows. But they're going to be the ones that cause change. Right now caps only impact a small number of users, ones that cable companies wouldn't mind losing, anyway. But when content providers start complaining they'll listen.

Yes, and maybe AT&T will see the light and offer us 500Mbps FTTH connections and we can all hold hands and sing kumbaya!

Creston

Certainly good points. It would be the ultimate in irony if it's the entertainment studios that end up being the driver of increased bandwidth.

I'd certainly assume that traffic shaping would become the norm, though, at least until bandwidth is expanded to the point doing so costs more than to not do it. Expect VPN/Torrent streams to continue to be throttled to the point of uselessness in the short term.

Regarding my earlier comment, yeah, if Netflix's intent is to spin off and marginalize hard DVD rentals, then it makes sense.

One thing, though. I don't think the Hard-copy rental business is dead quite yet. Redbox and Blockbuster (NCR) Kiosks in supermarkets are doing incredibly well here in the SF Bay area. $1/night rentals definitely have a niche. And a significant one, at that.

^D^

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2011, 13:04.

7. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 09:52 ^Drag0n^

Nothing like dreary brand confusion within your own product line.

Fire the marketing team...you're supposed to go the other way.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2011, 12:55 ^Drag0n^

There's more flip-flopping here than a Senator's news conference...  

News Comments > Gone Gold - RAGE
34. Re: Gone Gold - RAGE Sep 18, 2011, 11:56 ^Drag0n^

I think you're missing my point: I've never been disappointed by id, therefore I don't expect them to start now.

^D^

News Comments > Gone Gold - RAGE
32. Re: Gone Gold - RAGE Sep 18, 2011, 10:49 ^Drag0n^

I have never seen a game written by id software that sucks balls.

Very much looking forward to see what JohnC's been up to these last few years.

^D^

News Comments > New Gaming Peripherals
41. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 17:47 ^Drag0n^

Gotta disagree with you mate: having on the fly sensitivity adjustment so improved my sniping it was ridiculous. With no consequence to my snap shooting in CQB. $5 mice dont have that.

That said, I agree that Razer and Logitech gaming mice are overpriced based on what you get, but when the market is smaller, you end up paying more for boutique items. BUT, the entry level gaming mice aren't really THAT much more than your run of the mill desktop mouse either.

^D^

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2011, 18:03.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 11:04 ^Drag0n^

IMO? Eurogamer went easy on it. Let's be real for a second, here...GoW3 is the third iteration of the exact same game mechanic, and without a substantial upgrade to gameplay or story or interactivity, I'd give it a 6/10, and tell people to just read the single player synopsis of the story off Wikipedia.

I'm sure Cliffy loved the score GameStopInformer gave them (I'm guessing a 9.5, based on their record), but any rag published by a retailer isn't going to throw manure on the first cash cow of the fall.

The only critics that matter are the end users. Thank god for metaritic and Amazon for at least that.

^D^

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway
33. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 17, 2011, 10:53 ^Drag0n^

Overon wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 14:30:
Man, I never liked this Facebook based advertising contest bullshit.

I don't like the odds of winning and therefore it's not even worth the few minutes it would take to do this. I have my pride and self respect and if I jumped through those hoops I would have my pride and self respect lessened.

Your results may vary.

I could have sworn that you had to "be an actual person" in order to sign up to FB. At one time in their ToS. Clearly not the case now. And certainly the only way that company will make money. It's now the Internet equivalent of those free house and car rags you can get at the supermarket...full of crap that you really don't care anything about.

^D^

35. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 10:32 ^Drag0n^

Halo wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 02:35:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:45:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:39:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 23:09:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 22:56:
PHJF wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 21:55:
Why the fuck would I need a wireless mouse/keyboard? Do I go vaulting around the room when using the computer or am I sitting at a computer desk?

Exactly. Wired is still the best way to go.

Simple. Media center PC hooked up to your HD tv in the living room. I have a shuttle media center/gaming rig on mine. Most keyboards/mice don't come with 12' cords.

^D^

Long USB cable from the computer to a hub on a side or coffee table. Keyboard/mouse/gamepad/cameras/ipods/etc. connect to the hub. It's nice and convenient.

To trip over. No thanks. But I go with Bluetooth. Unencrypted kb's are a bad thing.

Who doesn't use an mouse/keboard app (either Droid or Apple) to connect to their media Center???

Oh, I have that too (AirMouse), but it kinda sucks for gaming...I enjoy occasionally playing PC games on my big TV.

^D^

34. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 10:28 ^Drag0n^

Rockn-Roll wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 02:38:
I build my own mice...I didn't like it when they removed the middle button and I have not found a wireless mouse that still provides a middle button. So I buy large Logitech Mouseman mice and remove the guts and buy the best wireless mouse circuitry available and do some soldering so that the buttons on the mouseman are wired to the electronics of the wireless mouse.

For those of you that have tried wireless keyboards & mice and get disconnects and such then you are buying the cheap ones...which do not have very good electronics. I never get a disconnect and since the large mouseman has more space inside it I replaced the small battery of the wireless mouse with a larger one. A full charge lasts 6 months and I use my computer for at least 80 hours a week (I just looked at my Steam community page and it says I've played 142.7 hours in the past 2 weeks so at least 70 per week just playing games and I use my computer for work too).

Hahaha...that's awesome! I'll bet you're a bit of a gearhead too? I think we'd get along well...

^D^

33. Re: Game Reviews Sep 17, 2011, 10:25 ^Drag0n^

I've had no problems with my Diamondback "plasma" that I've had for six years. Well, some of the rubber has worn off the buttons from my poor storage habits in the laptop bag, but it certainly has held up at least as good as any Logitech mouse I've owned. Definitely better than the intellimice...

^D^

24. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 01:45 ^Drag0n^

Crustacean Soup wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:39:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 23:09:
Why the fuck would I need a wireless mouse/keyboard? Do I go vaulting around the room when using the computer or am I sitting at a computer desk?

Simple. Media center PC hooked up to your HD tv in the living room. I have a shuttle media center/gaming rig on mine. Most keyboards/mice don't come with 12' cords.

^D^

Long USB cable from the computer to a hub on a side or coffee table. Keyboard/mouse/gamepad/cameras/ipods/etc. connect to the hub. It's nice and convenient.

To trip over. No thanks. But I go with Bluetooth. Unencrypted kb's are a bad thing.

News Comments > Valve Time Bites L4D2 Cold Stream DLC
1. Re: Valve Time Bites L4D2 Cold Stream DLC Sep 17, 2011, 01:42 ^Drag0n^

K. Tired of TF2, L4D, and Portal. Let's get some Episode 3/HL3 going, m'kay?

^D^

17. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 16, 2011, 23:09 ^Drag0n^

^D^

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo