Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1246 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
54. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 13:06 ^Drag0n^

Lorcin wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:58:
Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:29:
The number of configuration options hasn't exactly dwindled so I find this whole thing to be a false dichotomy. We're not at a point where engines can configure themselves perfectly and even if they could that's still ignoring that users might not like their choices and have to tweak to take into account varying eye sight and preferences.

A lot of options have disappeared - especially at launch. Driver : san fran has a grand total of 5 options under video including resolution and whether it's full screen. As for people wanting to watch things the way they think it should look? I do understand it - but at the same time in every other form of media people don't have a choice. At the theatre you can't demand the understudy take over because you don't like the main actors voice. On TV you can't choice to unbleep swearing because your a grown up. Why do game designers have to cater for every choice under the sun when it's their baby!

I offer my rebuttal to all this options griping: [ ` ]

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 11:15 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 11:09:
id gets bought by Bethesda.

In the past decade Bethesda has brought us Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, with New Vegas being outsourced.
In the past decade id has brought us Doom 3 with Quake 4, Quake Wars and 2 Wolfensteins being outsourced.

I'm thinking being acquired by Bethesda was a good thing for this game.

Speaking of that, I found it amazing how uninspiring Quake Wars was...but I can't put my finger on why, as the mechanic was the same as Splash Damage did in Wolf...

11. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 11:13 ^Drag0n^

If the past is any indicator, nVidia will be soon to follow...  

News Comments > More id RAGE Midnight Madness
76. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 4, 2011, 11:05 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 10:24:
As for Texture poping, Ive had none of that, so the AMD\ATI might be the issue.

Nah that's everyone, I'm seeing tons of complaints from people with 570s and 580s as well on other forums. Turn quickly and look in the corners of the screen. The game isn't caching them properly or something. It's related to how id is using texture streams or something along those lines, most likely just a setting that needs to be changed for the PC version. The mouse thing is acceleration apparently and its turned on for everyone. There's some videos showing both on Youtube now. AMD users are having a whole set of other issues too apparently, flickering hud elements, poor framerates and etc.

Doesn't sound like a big deal but they should definitely fix it up.

edit: just for kicks I loaded it up briefly on my 560 Ti (wow that was a long decryption) and I noticed the texture thing immediately once you leave the ark, it's very apparent in the outdoor areas.

Yeah, it's very apparent, and I agree with your assessment: it probably is a caching/streaming problem. I have an i7 / SLI rig, so I know it's not for lack of power or memory. Nonetheless, that was the one blemish I saw straight off. Hopefully they fix it quickly.

The dynamic scaling does work pretty well to keep the framerate at 60, no hiccups/stutters/glitching at all.

Default mouse acceleration: definitely felt wrong for an id game; it really made aiming feel clumsy and imprecise, something id normally is spot on with.

The game itself is pretty awesome, although I will admit, I HATE all the "invisible walls" that prevent me from going places/falling. To me, that was a bigger distration than any of the normal technical issues we're seeing out of the gate.

Technical merit: Definite 10. The glitches will parse out soon enough.

Game itself? After 1-1/2 hubs, I'd definitely say it's the deepest id game yet, but it does lose points for not having DM because, well, it is an id game. But the single player experience is stunning, jaw dropping graphics, and has a good pace with reasonable branching for sidequests. It's almost like someone shook an id engine in with Borderlands and a little Fallout3.

33. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 4, 2011, 00:50 ^Drag0n^

I'm no expert, but maybe try downgrading the driver back to the previous rev. it's totally possible the BF3 optimizations break something else.  

31. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 4, 2011, 00:31 ^Drag0n^

Dear id software--

An open letter.

Best regards,

^D^

21. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 3, 2011, 23:50 ^Drag0n^

That makes two of us, C, but I may not wait until tomorrow  

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
19. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 3, 2011, 23:46 ^Drag0n^

Taskeen wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 22:13:
Bethesda are bunch of cock mongrels.

They tried suing the original creators that are currently developing Fallout Online MMO and have FAILED multiple times, because even the court knows they are assholes.

If the "publisher" known as Interplay ever creates a Fallout MMO, I'll eat my own socks. All flash, no fuel.

18. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 3, 2011, 22:29 ^Drag0n^

SirKnight wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 21:09:
Of course, this is an id engine so it will have cfg files and the drop down console. So it's all good.

Exactly.

People need to calm down. As you naysayers might recall, id has ALWAYS been spartan on video config options. You always had to delve into console or config files to tweak.

Holy crap, it's like no one ever edited quake.cfg here.

Man.

^D^

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
13. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 3, 2011, 22:23 ^Drag0n^

Actually, I think "Scrolls: <something>" is far closer to what Bethesda would be suing over than had he left it as just "Scrolls." In a way, it actually seems flippant, the more I think about it.

Given the way this suit is progressiong, I'd almost expect the offer he made was to change it to "Scrolls: Oblivious."

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2011, 00:54.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers
35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers Oct 3, 2011, 16:07 ^Drag0n^

Ray Marden wrote on Oct 1, 2011, 16:01:
Thinking the recycling of the planet does not help it feel new either,
Ray

This was your best tag in a while ray...thumbs up

News Comments > Activision Independent Games Competition
7. Re: Activision Independent Games Competition Oct 3, 2011, 14:33 ^Drag0n^

MajorD wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 13:59:
Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 13:56:
All the same, that's pretty cool of Activision to do especially since the winner gets the cash and retains their property.

Absolutely! Credit is due on both sides.....

Agreed. Charity is both rare and a good thing in the publishing biz.

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
102. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 3, 2011, 01:08 ^Drag0n^

zirik wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 00:41:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 04:10:
I think we may have different definitions of humble. John isn't one to seek center stage, feign superiority, or look down on anyone.

you should dig up some of his old .plan updates. he likes to throw in his ferraris and how he modded them to the point that they are not street legal. plus how many he owns at any given time. its quite the opposite of what you perceive.

your memory needs refreshment. he did not get rid of all his ferraris. and he also did not do it for his family. he sold some of them to fund his space venture.

That's odd, not that he and I close by any sense of the word, but in our last exchange around GDC, when I asked about his F50, he told me he got rid of the Ferraris in lieu of an X5 for his wife, and a Tesla for himself.

I'm well aware of his .plan updates, but you're still kinda missing the point here. Him talking about his hobby (the cars, and by that, I assume you're speaking of the 1100HP Testarossa), never struck me as bragging, but rather as the musings of a guy that admitted his two hobbies were cars and coding at the time. He would have posted the same if he was tricking out a '74 Impala. I've never heard the man brag, belittle, or feign superiority over anyone. Quite the opposite. He's usually welcoming, the first to offer insight or help, and has one of the most in-check egos I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

(edited for clarity, grammar)

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2011, 14:41.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 2, 2011, 22:55 ^Drag0n^

Call me crazy, but my guess would be because people are buying it?

96. Re: What's it take to get banned? Oct 2, 2011, 21:08 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 20:29:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 19:05:
I hope that is indeed the case, as the weapons and navigation dynamics (zip lines) look appealing for DM.

But, unless JohnC has taken on pathological deception in the last few years as a new personality trait (which I doubt), I'm given little reason but to believe him at his word that the game wasn't designed for DM.

*sigh*

I wonder if there's really that much demand for stand-alone DM anymore, seeing as how everyone and their mom are now playing things like CoD and BF, with unlocks and persistent character growth etc.

Good point. I mean Epic has even come out stating that another UnReal Tournament isn't on their drawing board in the foreseeable future.

I thingk the only recent run and guns are Serious Sam (which I just can't explain why it has no appeal to me), and Shattered horizon, which was less a game and more of a benchmarking tool that you could play as a game.

The only hope I see on the horizon are the ruminations that id wants to revisit the Quake IP in the vein of Quake1/QW.

Nothing could make me happier.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Bullet Time Features to Expand
6. Re: Max Payne 3 Bullet Time Features to Expand Oct 2, 2011, 19:10 ^Drag0n^

I'm still waiting for "Beertime" to make it onto the feature list.

On a more serious note: what Aero said. All too often things are "improved" to the point it takes all the fun and creative gameplay out of the mix...

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2011, 19:16.

93. Re: What's it take to get banned? Oct 2, 2011, 19:05 ^Drag0n^

I hope that is indeed the case, as the weapons and navigation dynamics (zip lines) look appealing for DM.

But, unless JohnC has taken on pathological deception in the last few years as a new personality trait (which I doubt), I'm given little reason but to believe him at his word that the game wasn't designed for DM.

*sigh*

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 2, 2011, 18:06 ^Drag0n^

Sepharo wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 17:16:
Ray Ban wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 17:09:
So you use inverted mouse in flight sims and non-inverted in other games?

Then you must have some kind of superior brain. Like those people who are equally good with both hands ...

Isn't that how most do it? I push down to fly up in BF then bail out and shoot with normal aim.

Same here. It seems natural go me. Dunno why.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2011, 18:03 ^Drag0n^

I grilled with a 4-burner on my back heck for years here in Cali...no issues at all. If she's concerned, you could always get a slate scrap from home depot to drop under it, but, in my experience, it's never proven necessary.

91. Re: What's it take to get banned? Oct 2, 2011, 17:41 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 15:33:
Bucky wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 14:11:
Regarding Rage, what are the thoughts on the game?

I think it looks pretty sweet. But I can't really tell you one way or the other until Tuesday.

Creston

I'm in agreement. I think my only concern is the lack of DM, but, to be honest, I've found myself playing more co-op games than adversarial ones as of late. Probably due somewhat to my drop in snapfiring skills with age, but mores to do with the people I play with.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2011, 18:14.

1246 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo