Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Interview
73. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 13:37 ^Drag0n^

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 13:22:
Ok to the guy comparing this situation with Quake... Where to begin...

Quake was using the most advanced engine in history. Period. At the time of its release there was nothing that came close to it. It was rendering everything in 3D, and not using sprites. People were willing to soldier on through the bugs and growing pains because it was revolutionary for graphics.

This isn't 1994. Rage was designed for consoles which can't even compare to the horsepower of modern PC's. And yet, people with those PC's are struggling to play a game that runs fine on the consoles. There is no comparison at all between this and Quake. Rage isn't bringing anything new to the table that makes it worth $60.00, or makes it worth suffering through the growing pains.

Your quip to me aside, I will go on record saying that the Rage engine *is* the most advanced engine, same as with Quake was in 1997 (keeping in mind that System Shock and Ultima Underworld had done the freelook 3D thing prior in 1993 and 1994, respectively). People are having problems due to a development decision id made that even John acknowledges was a mistake (read Carmack's quote in my previous post, or go to the source here, or watch the full interview here).

My point? From Doom2 all the way up to Doom3, People ranted about something on release. The games went on to be patched, and every one of them is now considered a milestone in the development of the genre and technology driving the FPS.

I guess Adam Jensen was right, "If you want to make a few enemies, go to an id software release thread." Or something like that.

(edited for clarity, references)

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 14:44.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 13:23 ^Drag0n^

The more interesting part:

On PC vs Console performance:

"It is a little bit of a shame that, despite the raw horsepower, we are hampered by kind of the arms-length API interface. Because it is... unhappily true that we have the consoles here running at sixty frames per second, and we could have these massively more powerful PC systems that struggle sometimes to hold the framerate because of unnecessary overheads. Where, if we were programming that hardware directly on the metal the same way we do the consoles, it would be significantly more powerful. But there are a lot of moves afoot to be improving that, and we are working closely with all of the vendors to kind of address that."
-John Carmack

70. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 13:19 ^Drag0n^

God, I wish I had John's PC:

(from the article KA mentioned):

"My development system now has twenty-four threads and twenty-four gigs of memory, and we can start putting on half a terabyte of solid state drives, and these are the things that are gonna drive the development process on the PC. So, Im actually as excited about how were developing tht titles in this coming generation as the graphics enhancements and things that Im gonna make."
-John Carmack

67. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 12:30 ^Drag0n^

HAHAHAH! Probably.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 5, 2011, 12:22 ^Drag0n^

Not to be coy here, but don't you pretty much know how the review is going to go if it's on a site called "Christ Centered Gamer"?  

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
151. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 5, 2011, 12:15 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 12:12:
Someone went to the trouble of finding a prime location, and then comparing the promised screenshot vs how the game looks for them.

It's pretty staggering just how big the difference is.

This is the screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/PbDAO.jpg

Here's how the game looks for them when they get there : http://i.imgur.com/qeKGE.jpg

That is not even fucking funny.

Creston

Agreed. But there has GOT to be something else going on there; even my 2x8800GTx looks way better than that in Rage.

News Comments > Team Bondi Closing
7. Re: Team Bondi Closing Oct 5, 2011, 12:12 ^Drag0n^

A mystery/Crime game just strikes me as something incredibly difficult to pull off well, and incredibly niche.

I hope the devs land on their feet and end up under better management.

65. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 12:02 ^Drag0n^

Creston & Crovven-- Thanks for the console / config tips. I'm going to give those a shot tonight when the wife is on Ladies night out...<g>

On a sidenote: I installed Rage on my ion2 netbook last night after upgrading to nVidia's latest drivers (bf3 build). It actually ran...pop-up textures all over, but it ran.

Insane.

63. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 11:55 ^Drag0n^

Y'know, I'm reminded of this game that was released that practically demanded a CPU upgrade, running like a dog at high resolutions, and it's networking code was total shit for the internet. Additionally, it had no matchmaking capability internally, requiring that you know what server you wanted to play on before the community came out and made external matchmaking programs.

On top of all that? It wasn't even windows native, and you had to run additional software to make IP traffic tunnel through winsock properly.

There was hellfire, brimstone, flaming, and much calling for heads.

God, how did that game EVER make it?

I am, of course, talking about Quake.

Most people seem to remember the Quakeworld experience, forgetting how different the initial release was, and how frustrating it was for some playing over dial-up, and those that had 486 chips.

And yet it's still the high-water mark of shooters.

And its also why I'm pretty sure that as the weeks develop, we will see better things emerge from this game.

Now, all that said, I still think that today's id is way different than the id of 1997; you don't hear about howling challenges of manhood between employees like there were when American and Romero were there. Maybe that's part of the reason we see less action than we did back in the day. They do appear to be making an effort to be more artistic, but seem to struggle with how that relates to their paternal relationship to the visceral Deathmatch FPS.

Others have caught up, and now they are in a position where they have to show that daddy still has game.

Personally, my only real complaints with the game at this point are the mouse acceleration (which, apparently, can be rectified by a console command), and the invisible walls (which I blame on Fallout allowing me to pretty much roam anywhere). I haven't gotten in to the vehicular combat yet, but, based on what I've heard form others playing it, it's pretty damn fun.

I know Carmack will make the engine work. He always has. As Blue, myself, and a few others lurking here can personally attest to, John put in more hours than you can imagine tuning Quake/Quakeworld to make sure that the code was uber-stable before passing it on to Zoid.

I expect no less from him with Rage.

This engine is a huge leap; unfortunately that part is getting lost in the traffic of initial release issues, and the me-too-isms that the press is throwing at the game. I hope it gets to show that off at some point here.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 12:07.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Judge suggests DMCA allows DVD ripping if you own the DVD. Oct 5, 2011, 11:23 ^Drag0n^

This is awesome news, and a win for common sense.

Hopefully it holds up.

32. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 03:34 ^Drag0n^

space captain wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 01:49:
do i like it when people ask themselves questions and then immediately answer them?

eh, its ok

Is this a classic post by the captain?

Oh, you bet. Solid.

138. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 23:44 ^Drag0n^

MajorD wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 23:39:
It would be nice if I could even get into the fricken' game, as the wonderfulness of Steam keeps timing out and indicating the game is unavailable at this time and to please try again later.

Did you try validating the files (properties on the right click)? That fixed that error in the past for me.

13. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 4, 2011, 22:37 ^Drag0n^

<Electric-Spock> wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 21:54:
Also for those who are playing RAGE; Are there any Doom moments with the screen full of mutants and frantic gameplay? Or is it pretty much 5 mutants tops at any given time and they all have a trillion hit points each?

There are insane moments where hoards of mutants come at you if you venture into the sewers. Yeah, they did pump the adrenaline.

12. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 4, 2011, 22:29 ^Drag0n^

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 22:20:
I think in this age of hyper sensitive bullshitting and left/right/myside-is-better-than-yours idiocy people mistake honest for hostile.

I thought that Interview actually asked what everyone who has a clue (about game development or games in general) really wondered.

Those were pretty much my thoughts as well (in terms of "were the questions fair?). Nowadays people mistake true journalism for hostility.

I saw some amazingly stupid remarks in the comments, mostly of the vein of , "If you don't like their game, why did you interview them, moron?"

I for one like seeing hard hitting questions. And it's not like the answers were bad or wrong; in fact, they were honest too, especially around the "me too-ism" questions regarding Rage vs. Fallout and Borderlands.

I think that the Ars article was a little over the top, though. I'm actually enjoying the game; it's just not what I expected...

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2011, 22:45.

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
39. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered Oct 4, 2011, 22:23 ^Drag0n^

Jensen wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 21:08:
WaltC wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 10:25:
I expect that he has no intention of being dragged into court but will remove the word "scrolls" from his game title before it ships.

I'm sure that's why he paid who-knows-how-much for the scrolls.com domain.

I'll take "What you get for $11.99 at GoDaddy.com" for 100, Alex.

News Comments > RAGE Tweaks
28. Re: By Far The Best id Game To Date Oct 4, 2011, 18:48 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 18:21:
Yeah. Now if only there was a +cvar_add_decent_fucking_textures command...

Wait, you're still getting shit textures on your 5850? Or is this the rig @work?

***EDIT

N/M...just saw your follow-up.

Quadros, IME, have usually had shit gaming performance to begin with. More for CAD, etc.

129. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 18:37 ^Drag0n^

Ghola wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 18:27:
I actually didn't think Daikatana was as bad as everyone said it was back in the day. I just remember the green enemies on the green level which was my only gripe with it. I would rather have spikes in performance than to have the textures get bumped down. Maybe a patch will allow this override.

True...True.

But I'm still waiting for Romero to "make me (his) bitch," LMAO

127. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 18:24 ^Drag0n^

Creston--

Is that still on the machine you cobbled together, or your game rig? I did get some pop on my gaming rig, but, provided I didn't swivel fast, it wasn't that noticeable. I haven't tried the BF3 NV drivers yet; some have said it eliminates the popping altogether--I'll have to try that once I get home.

I wanted to try Rage on my XPS m1710 and it's lowly 7950GTXgo, but alas, Rage crashes from DEP errors. Probably the ancient driver I'm forced to use because the newer ones F-up the graphics (179.xx) :/

24. Re: By Far The Best id Game To Date Oct 4, 2011, 18:07 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 17:54:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 17:42:
I'm guessing he meant "+cvaradd g_fov 120"; that, or he plays with his monitor in portrait mode....

No, he means 20. The default FOV in the game is 80. The cvaradd command ADDS the specified value TO 80. So if he did cvaradd +120 then the FOV would go to 200...

Creston

Well that certainly makes more sense

21. Re: By Far The Best id Game To Date Oct 4, 2011, 17:42 ^Drag0n^

I'm guessing he meant "+cvaradd g_fov 120"; that, or he plays with his monitor in portrait mode....  

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo