Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG
16. Re: Cryptic's Neverwinter Delayed, Now a F2P MMOG Oct 6, 2011, 16:24 ^Drag0n^

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 15:58:
I didn't think they could make this game less appealing than it already was. I was wrong.

Regrettably, I say that every year about the status of the gaming industry. :/

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming?
26. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 14:49 ^Drag0n^

Has anyone here actually used OnLive? It just seems to me that it would either be incredibly laggy, of low visual fidelity, or both. I can see high latency games on a platform like this, but nothing of the action vein.

If someone has experience with this, do tell.

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
169. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 6, 2011, 14:43 ^Drag0n^

Point blank shotgun is still a symphony of awesome on soft targets. The wingsticks are an insta-gib too.

I finally got into the city map last night; the textures definitely aren't up to snuff in that area It may be time for me to upgrade the old 8800s unless some tweak comes out that addresses it. Damn, those cards have lasted me almost forever...5 years now, I think.

News Comments > Into the Black
20. Re: Into the Black Oct 6, 2011, 14:35 ^Drag0n^

The full gravity of the loss really didn't hit me until this morning; I actually got a little choked up on the way in listening to the radio, as all the local stations had this as their headline topic. Steve was an incredible influence on me from a young age--I still remember scrounging up the money from my summer jobs to buy my first Mac. Computers, to me, are like HiFi gear to my Dad, and almost all of that traced its genesis to products Apple made with Steve at the helm. There's a lot of talk today here in Silicon Valley about Steve's legacy. My take? The true genius of Steven P. Jobs was the fact that he understood that it wasn't about the device, or the content, or the earnings, or the stock price: it was about the experience--it was about the people. Steve knew that if you make a positive user experience, everything else will follow. And it did. At Apple, at Pixar, and in life. The world mourns the loss of a great visionary today, and I find it fitting that the weather reflects the somber mood in Silicon Valley.

As for the personal issues? I don't pay attention to what Hollywood and Tabloids say; they never say the whole story, just what will sell papers and ads. I learned that the hard way when my own father was involved in an accident, and was painted so poorly in the news that I would have hated him had I not known him and the true circumstances behind the event.

The one story I do remember about Steve came from my former boss (whom lives in Job's neighborhood in Palo Alto), whom told me about how the son of Steve's gardener was diagnosed with Leukemia. Steve apparently paid for all of the child's treatment. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth. I never read about it in the paper, and I'm sure very few people even know about it.

So, on the philanthropy charge? There are two types: those that do it with fanfare, and those that do it silently.

I'm not saying he was a saint, but he sure wasn't the dick some people like to make him out to be.

RIP Steve. You changed the world. Time to rest now.

News Comments > Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming?
24. Re: Microsoft Planning Cloud Gaming? Oct 6, 2011, 14:17 ^Drag0n^

They should just call it "Fog Gaming."  

News Comments > More on RAGE Tweaking
4. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 5, 2011, 23:05 ^Drag0n^

I love the headline for this story....think about it  

162. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 5, 2011, 22:43 ^Drag0n^

It's just a guess, but hey, what the heck?

As for my struggles with texture pop, mouse lag, and quality, I have this update:

If you run Nvidia, get the 285.38 (Battlefield 3) drivers, ADD BACK IN that max pre-rendered frames to 3 (remember, the one that F-ed up DXHR?), and add the following rageconfig.cfg commands to make use of the Cuda CPU offloading in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base\rageconfig.cfg :

vt_useCudaTranscode 1
vt_cudaBudget 14
vt_maxPPF 128

(see the bottom of this page for an explanation of the Cuda commands).

Holy F***, did that last one add speed to the game and renderer; I see ZERO texture cache artifacts now. And I'm running two 8800GTX's w/768MB with SLI disabled (basically leaving one card to run Cuda optimizations)

I also added what others did to their execute options in Rage properties in Steam:

+cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 3072 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 22:56.

160. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 5, 2011, 22:09 ^Drag0n^

Krovven wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 20:46:
Any word on new AMD Rage drivers, or fixes for the holes in the textures?

Anyone know how to fix this?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/krovven...315012089492/?

I'm using the newest AMD Rage drivers and get great framerates, just get missing textures which are dynamic as I move (see the other screenshots at the link). I've tried Catalyst 11.8 and 11.9 and both of these do not have the texture problem in Rage, but I get 10-15 fps.

I do have Catalyst Ai disabled (this fixed a major freezing problem), Triple Buffering enabled and Vsync enabled. Whether these settings are on or off, the problem still occurs.

Krovven--

If you're still using these variables--

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

and your card has less than 1.5GB, that may be the problem.

If you have a 768MB card, cut it by 1/2 (4096); if you have a 1 gig card, cut them by 1/3 (5460)...

It might be trying to cram too much texture info into your vram, preventing some textures from pre-fetching properly.

Just a guess, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week
4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC Next Week Oct 5, 2011, 21:44 ^Drag0n^

Isn't the US one of the regions where local law prohibits the sale of this game?  

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
64. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 20:24 ^Drag0n^

Yeah, I just posted that under OotB :/ major loss of an influential mind, regardless of how you feel about Apple & Pixar products.

Godspeed, Steve.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: OMG. Oct 5, 2011, 20:15 ^Drag0n^

Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 20:10:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 19:45:
Breaking news from AP: Steve Jobs has passed away. :/

This seems to be true, when I first read it I assumed it was a wind-up. I wasn't a fan but his influence was massive. Quite a loss.

Apple's front page says it all.

The guy had a huge influence on me as a kid. I started programming on an Apple 2, and today I couldn't dream of switching out my iPhone. Love or hate his products, you can't deny the impact he had on the world, and how many lives his passion for technology touched.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2011, 20:08 ^Drag0n^

Apple just announced that condolence letters can be sent to the family at:

rememberingsteve(at)apple.com

Passage was attributed to complications from his ongoing attle with pancreatic cancer.

21. OMG. Oct 5, 2011, 19:45 ^Drag0n^

Breaking news from AP: Steve Jobs has passed away. :/  

50. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 18:39 ^Drag0n^

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 18:26:
The quest system is decent, the voice acting is very good, the graphics are so amazing, the combat is very entertaining. Even vehicle combat is well done and a nice change of pace from time to time.

Actually that reminded me of the 3rd thing that kinda pissed me off about the game (1st and 2nd being mouse Accel, autotune being off)...for the love of God: if you're going to let the baddies talk to each other, at least have the courtesy of having 3-4 different voice actors do the lines! I've been in a room where the bandits are behind cover, and I seriously can't tell how many there are because bandits, in the future, are apparently perfect clones.

(Edited for spelling)

40. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 17:41 ^Drag0n^

StingingVelvet: What Vid/VRAM you rockin'?  

News Comments > RAGE Interview
78. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 16:26 ^Drag0n^

Slashman wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 16:09:
I dunno...I kind of think that The Witcher 2 looks better and I don't have everything turned up in it. The screenshots of RAGE that I have seen look OK, but they never particularly impressed me.

It's funny, but I was talking about this topic just the other day with one of the programmers I used to work with. We went on a tangent talking about the merits of making a new engine versus using an old one beyond the scope of design that it was limited to when it was written...take, for example, the Quake 3 or Doom3 engine: Today, those things are beasts even on a Netbook; you can add bigger textures, more geometric detail, higher bit depth to the color palettes, and really not suffer too much on a modern rig at all (barring some coding tweaks that may be required to allow them).

The short version? Given how far hardware has come, you can really make a great looking game with an engine that's long in the tooth yet still looks amazing BECAUSE of the hardware changes. The idTech5 engine is suffering not because it can't do some amazing things, but rather because some talented teams out there have come up with amazing ways to make older engines look almost as good.

20. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 16:13 ^Drag0n^

SirKnight wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 15:38:
No. He has not even come close to fallen. He still has better graphics and programming ability than most. If more people could understand virtual texturing at a technical level they'd understand the issues here better. A lot of the graphical issues on the PC has to do with the drivers...

Agree completely on the Carmack thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but wasn't the reason that they went for the autodetect model because they had provisions in the engine to dynamically adjust texture sizes based on framerates/VRAM? I could have swore I read/heard them talking about that somewhere. Definitely a miss on it's choosing to use small textures in inappropriate cases though (see Creston's posts)--those just look wrong.

As for direct hardware access...*sigh*...the never ending battle between speed and security :/

(edited to correct my crappy typing and for clarity)

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 16:31.

News Comments > Team Bondi Closing
16. Re: Team Bondi Closing Oct 5, 2011, 15:45 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 12:36:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 12:12:
A mystery/Crime game just strikes me as something incredibly difficult to pull off well, and incredibly niche.

I hope the devs land on their feet and end up under better management.

I thought the game was excellent, it's just a shame that they made such a beautiful rendition of 1940s L.A., and then have absolutely nothing to do in it...

Creston

It did look beautiful. It's a shame, as I'd guess that this means the end of DLC episodes for it as well...

News Comments > RAGE Interview
76. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 15:41 ^Drag0n^

I'm basing it on the technical aspect. I fully agree that the PC release, in it's current state, is borderline inexcusable; be that the fault of id/Beth QA or a lack of timely driver support by nvidia/AMD. That just plain has to get fixed. Assuming that it does (and given the track record here, that's probably a safe assumption) I expect that the visual aspect of this engine will live up to expectations eventually in Rage.

Granted, I'm probably thinking of the things that bug me, like how one can see tiling in Fallout and other open vista games; something that isn't here. That bugs me as much as the toolbox textures are bothering you, but I do agree that Rage may not be the best vehicle to showcase those benefits in it's current state.

But, I have to admit, seeing the game actually run on my Ion2 Netbook kinda blew me away.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2011, 15:47.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2011, 13:49 ^Drag0n^

In general, it seems like this falls new line of shows are crap. They already canned Playboy Club, and apparently Pan Am is on the ropes, and if I see another procedural crime drama, I think I'll gouge my own eyes out.  

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo