Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1246 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
74. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 01:29 ^Drag0n^

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 01:03:
EddieTheHack wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 00:59:
The money is in consoles for several genres of games. That PC development still gets AAA SKU's at all is almost amazing right now.

Good point and I have no problems with it as long as company dont try to put price tag on PC half assed version same as consoles. ID Software unfortunately put 60 bucks price on PC version which is just slap in the face. You may want to call PC gamers trolls and flaming but when ID software insults me with such price tag for a product thats clearly not developed properly for PC then what do you expect.

I'm pretty sure id had little to do with pricing, and Bethesda had EVERYTHING to do with it, Bethesda being the publisher and all.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 01:27 ^Drag0n^

PHJF wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 01:05:
The problem is, unexplored ideas in graphics are largely about nuance and making a believable simulation, which is something no one is interested in doing; you can't put "better immersion" as a bullet point on the box the same way you can't put anti-aliasing there, so it never gets done.

LA Noire did exactly that, to positive effect.

And look where it got them: shut down, and in the unemployment line. :/

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE
23. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:48 ^Drag0n^

LMAO  

60. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:38 ^Drag0n^

I think he fully understands the the PCs potential--he even remarks on that in the quote.

He's just confirming what most have known for years: it's hard developing on for a PC: API constraints, endless permutations of hardware configs, unknown myriad of other softwware running concurrently: it's much easier to code for a closed ecosystem--you know what hardware and software will be running. Always. Its the same thing that makes iOS development so enticing to a programmer.

Honestly? I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if MS added a mouse, browser, and a keyboard. But that will never happen.

While I'm disappointed he's taking this position, I get it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 8, 2011, 00:27 ^Drag0n^

Creston:

I literally hit reply and was about to type exactly what you just wrote...

LMAO

News Comments > More on Scrolls Legal Battle
38. Re: More on Scrolls Legal Battle Oct 8, 2011, 00:19 ^Drag0n^

The byline for this story, phonetically, is priceless.  

52. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:14 ^Drag0n^

I think the courier missions give you race tickets too (?)

May be wrong.

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
184. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 8, 2011, 00:11 ^Drag0n^

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 00:02:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127589
Buy. This. Card.

However, ignore RAGE.

That....is a ridiculously awesome price.

47. Re: id On RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 23:57 ^Drag0n^

PHJF wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 23:32:
Wasn't he just quoted saying "In the future we will design for the PC and shave things off for the consoles"?

This... kind of sounds like the opposite.

That was from an interview last summer. Apparently he changed his stance.

While I'm saddened by what he says, it's really no surprise. I'm not sure if id is a company that can have the same impact on consoles as on the PC; people there care even less about the hooplah tied to a new engine; as a whole, the console market is a market of ADD hamsters on meth. It's not "what are you playing?", it's "what are you playing next?"

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2011, 00:08.

36. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 7, 2011, 23:32 ^Drag0n^

Reading Creston's experience with ATI makes me really glad I stuck with nvidia

(sorry man <g> )

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Oct 7, 2011, 23:25 ^Drag0n^

I hear you, mate. I never believe those things.

And regarding Lisa: She was at Steve's deathbead when he passed on, along with the 3 children from his marriage. And for the record: He put Lisa through Harvard.

They left that "little detail" out of the movie and the press as well...

21. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 23:21 ^Drag0n^

Heh. Somehow I think Zenimax had a little bit to do with the QA/Ship date discussion...

Call me crazy

18. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 21:40 ^Drag0n^

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 20:13:
I don't know the full story but why weren't the AMD drivers that id Software tested the game on simply released with the game? Doing that would have prevented a lot of the problems and negative backlash. It just seems to be an incredibly poor way to do business, both for id and for AMD.

In the incestuous world of PC hardware and software, it's not uncommon at all for devs to get drivers that are not even close to publicly available.

As John is on the OGL standards committee, I'm pretty sure he's given drivers way in advance of the public.

182. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 7, 2011, 21:35 ^Drag0n^

yuastnav wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 19:50:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 20:22:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 14:43:
Point blank shotgun is still a symphony of awesome on soft targets. The wingsticks are an insta-gib too.

I finally got into the city map last night; the textures definitely aren't up to snuff in that area It may be time for me to upgrade the old 8800s unless some tweak comes out that addresses it. Damn, those cards have lasted me almost forever...5 years now, I think.

It's fucking ridiculous to have to upgrade your GPU for a game like this. The engine is a pile of bad coding. Last week I was still bragging about how my 2 year old gig can still run all the newest games on max settings only for this console port to prove me otherwise? I'm not falling for that, and I feel horribly freaking sad for the people that do. Horribly.

The worst part is that we're talking about id here.
It always seemed to me that they had some of the most competent coders what's with all the new tech they were always pushing.

I guess we're seeing the fall of id here.

I doubt that highly. Every one of their games have had issues, and every game on release someone said that. Hasn't happened yet, and I doubt it will now.

I agree that the PC version of the engine isn't fully baked, but, as I've said numerous times, Carmack is not one to let a project go that still has issues--many here have seen that firsthand. He'll see it through.

And I'm pretty sure that will benefit whatever else they make under idTech5.

News Comments > More on Scrolls Legal Battle
29. Re: More on Scrolls Legal Battle Oct 7, 2011, 09:58 ^Drag0n^

I'd probably go with "The Turder Trolls," instead...  

News Comments > Gotham City Impostors Animated Trailer
6. Re: Gotham City Impostors Animated Trailer Oct 7, 2011, 01:55 ^Drag0n^

Mmmmmm'kay....  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 7, 2011, 00:46 ^Drag0n^

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Trip was referring to casual gaming, not hardcore/enthusiast...  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Newell on PC Gaming
8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 7, 2011, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

Whew! Gotta lay off that Nanoproxil, mate...  

News Comments > Into the Black
24. Re: Into the Black Oct 7, 2011, 00:22 ^Drag0n^

That was actually one thing that impressed me. His public appearances were solely for the benefit of his company; I never recall him pumping up himself on camera, showing off his home, acting entitled or anything in public, or calling attention to the charitable work he did here.

That movie, The Pirates of Silicon Valley? God, how everyone panned that out here. So much embellishment, so little fact. About the both of them.

178. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 6, 2011, 23:57 ^Drag0n^

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 20:22:
It's fucking ridiculous to have to upgrade your GPU for a game like this. The engine is a pile of bad coding. Last week I was still bragging about how my 2 year old gig can still run all the newest games on max settings only for this console port to prove me otherwise? I'm not falling for that, and I feel horribly freaking sad for the people that do. Horribly.

It's not one game. Hell, that WOULD be stupid. It's the lack of DX11 support, lack of onboard Cuda/Physx (OK, not so much the Physx)the fact that two new 580s would burn less power than just one of my 8800GTXs, and the fact that those two cards are like running a space heater on my office, which kinda sucks in the summer.

I just hate spending the money, because these cards have been an amazing value, considering their service life...

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2011, 00:10.

1246 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo