Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Patched
84. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 13:30 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 12:29:
I THINK the reason they disabled the tweaks is because they didn't know what all people had been tinkering with, and thus couldn't guarantee that the patch wouldn't behave weirdly with one of those settings enabled.

Disabling all the tweaks to make sure the patch is sound, and then re-enabling them again after the next patch makes quite a bit of sense.

True.

Shoveling this aside for a second, has anyone else noticed the volumetric lighting effects, and how the atmospheric affect actually multiply and dither onto the characters properly (i.e. the multiplication of the effect is directly related to distance, as opposed to a carte blanche fixed multiplier)? That's pretty badass. Added with AI/AF I can almost see someone making a game where smoke and light can actually be used effectively in a DM setting in a realistic way, rather than the cartoon-ish way we are seeing it now (COD, BF3). This effect was particularly noticeable in the mutant clean-up mission in the second wasteland hub. I was actually losing sight of things in the fog (and glare IN the fog) in a realistic way (visually). This is one of the first advances I've seen in a long while that made me sit back and say, "Damn. That's pretty cool."

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed
31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 13:05 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:41:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:33:
Meh.

nin wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:29:

Wow, Shepherd looks like Luke Wilson now. Amazing.

is that a feature, or a bug?

It is recent excrement, my good fellow.

Ah. Meh's Effect.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed
7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 10:33 ^Drag0n^

Meh.

nin wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:29:

Wow, Shepherd looks like Luke Wilson now. Amazing.

is that a feature, or a bug?

75. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 10:25 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:31:
I fixed it by turning vsync OFF in the game itself, and just forcing it through the driver. Despite id's warning that you shouldn't do that, it runs just fine.

Well this is messed. I did the opposite (Application controlled in the driver, on in the game), and it seemed to fix (or at least seemingly fix) the issue.

62. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 10, 2011, 01:37 ^Drag0n^

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 22:34:
Apparently the swap tear switch (along with a number of other switches people were tweaking with) have been disabled in this patch. The game will let you use them but they no longer have any effect.

Did they say that publicly? If so, that's definitely a step...backwards.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 10, 2011, 01:25 ^Drag0n^

I never mentioned names, nor would I suggest that Gates hasn't made meaningful contributions.

My point is that Jobs kept his private life private, including whatever causes he supported. And those whose lives he did reach in to in order to help? I'm sure it was beyond appreciated.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
239. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 9, 2011, 23:26 ^Drag0n^

The really sad part about all this? With whomever fault lays blame with, the elements of the game that are actually quite unique and would be getting the press are all lost in the controversy surrounding a problem that will probably be fixed in a week or two, long after the attention span of the press has moved on to other things.

Bummer.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2011, 22:27 ^Drag0n^

Happy anniversary, Blues News! You've outlived them all...Slipgate, Stomped, Mr. Wolf's Quake Den...and many others I can't remember.

The best part? It's still independent.

Quite an accomplishment, Steve

56. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 22:14 ^Drag0n^

SC: I think I'm having the same issue...it's appears like a narrow vertical band of scrambled pixels...the rest of the image around it seems fine. I was hoping that the swap-tear setting would fix it, but to no avail.

The new patch does look better texture-wise, though.

54. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 22:09 ^Drag0n^

I agree with you Creston, but even Carmack seemed shocked at the visual results once Rage made it into the wild. Based on what he has been saying, top end machines SHOULD at least look incrementally better than the console versions, but clearly they do not.

The only other time I ever recall him swearing was during a Quakeworld beta after a week of trying to find the code issue that was causing the plat bug. For a guy that made a game based on demons and Hell, he's remarkably softspoken in the colorful language department.

52. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 22:03 ^Drag0n^

theyarecomingforyou--

I agree with you for the most part. IMO, the drivers id used should have been packaged WITH the game. I mean, really, since when has AMD and NVIDIA done anything right when it comes to drivers?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 9, 2011, 21:57 ^Drag0n^

Publicly.

There are plenty of stories out here in the Bay Area of people that Steve helped in moments of crisis or need, and he never felt the need to turn it into a PR fest. Case and point: his gardener's son.

I'm not saying the guy was a saint, but every device and technology we are using just to be able to post on a forum like this was touched directly or indirectly by technologies he enabled.

I've heard many people call him a primadonna, but what and when did he ever use his influence for the gain of anything but Apple? We hardly know anything but one or two stories about him personally, yet people praise or condemn him like they knew him intimately.

We lost a visionary that formed many of the ways we interface with each other today; history will judge his greatness or obscurity.

As for the opinions of Gawker Media: I expect no less from their "journalists," (sic.); the chip on their shoulder has been well documented for some time...

234. Re: id On RAGE Oct 9, 2011, 13:25 ^Drag0n^

yuastnav wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 13:00:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 12:22:
I wouldn't go that far...Bethesda STILL has broken quests in FO3 and FO:NV, something which appears to be far more difficult to address than a adding a graphics tweaks menu/configuration file, and getting NV/AMD to clean up their shitty release process....

From a naive point of view I would imagine that fixing quests is easier than tinkering with the fundamental basis of the game e.g. the engine.

...and yet, they are still broken.

231. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 9, 2011, 12:22 ^Drag0n^

I wouldn't go that far...Bethesda STILL has broken quests in FO3 and FO:NV, something which appears to be far more difficult to address than a adding a graphics tweaks menu/configuration file, and getting NV/AMD to clean up their shitty release process....  

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
186. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 9, 2011, 10:55 ^Drag0n^

IMO, whe haven't had a PC-centric developer since UT2004 and Crysis came out...everyone is making their mainstay off the consoles now (well, there is Bohemia, but that is somewhat niche)...  

216. Re: id On RAGE Oct 9, 2011, 01:24 ^Drag0n^

I just got to the "Second" wasteland.

Creston, wait until you get to the subway station...that map is AMAZING. It seems modeled slightly on Grand Central. Some of the new effects were....stunning.

Just nice architecture and map design, especially when the level hits it's opus.

117. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 10:24 ^Drag0n^

You're all reading far too much into it. He's stating what we already know: the money is in the console port, and it makes more sense to develop for the console and have incremental improvements on the PC than develop for the PC and dumb down the game for the console.

As for the guy making the "Douchebag" comment: Really? That's beyond lowbrow. Disagree with his stance? Fine. but show a little respect and class. Carmack has more programming talent and game development experience than you'll have in four lifetimes.

74. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 01:29 ^Drag0n^

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 01:03:
EddieTheHack wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 00:59:
The money is in consoles for several genres of games. That PC development still gets AAA SKU's at all is almost amazing right now.

Good point and I have no problems with it as long as company dont try to put price tag on PC half assed version same as consoles. ID Software unfortunately put 60 bucks price on PC version which is just slap in the face. You may want to call PC gamers trolls and flaming but when ID software insults me with such price tag for a product thats clearly not developed properly for PC then what do you expect.

I'm pretty sure id had little to do with pricing, and Bethesda had EVERYTHING to do with it, Bethesda being the publisher and all.

73. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 01:27 ^Drag0n^

PHJF wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 01:05:
The problem is, unexplored ideas in graphics are largely about nuance and making a believable simulation, which is something no one is interested in doing; you can't put "better immersion" as a bullet point on the box the same way you can't put anti-aliasing there, so it never gets done.

LA Noire did exactly that, to positive effect.

And look where it got them: shut down, and in the unemployment line. :/

News Comments > AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE
23. Re: AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Driver for BF3 & RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:48 ^Drag0n^

LMAO  

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo