Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
119. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 11:15 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:55:
Not that I don't sympathize with your position Drag, that case was about commercial distribution of copyrighted materials and that's a whole different ballgame.

Yeah. It looks like they're using that case to clarify legal nuance in terms of the term, though.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

113. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:54 ^Drag0n^

Teddy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:37:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:14:

Keep rationalizing stealing. I hope that works out for you. Even my 5 year old niece sees what is wrong with that logic.

^D^

Then your 5 year old niece has some piss poor teachers if no one has bothered to explain proper logic. Then again, apparently you haven't got a clue what logic is either, so you're just another one of those people teaching her how to be a proper idiot.

Theft is depriving someone of something they own without their permission. Feel free to look up the definition. If you need some tutoring on what the words in that definition mean come back here and we can go through them one step at a time.

Piracy/Copyright infringement is no less illegal, but only a complete fucking retard who understands neither the law nor the definition of the word actually thinks it's 'theft'.

I think my niece's education is just fine, especially since at 5 she just barely started school two months ago.

And you're wrong on the classification of the crime. It is theft. Again:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/05/guilty-verdict/

So, again, keep rationalizing.

The real point here is "who cares?" The idiots that are running the companies are using this as an excuse to make some of the most retarded marketing decisions north of the RIAA being pulled kicking and screaming into the internet age.

^D^

112. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:48 ^Drag0n^

WarpCrow wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:24:
Keep rationalizing Stealing. I hope that works out for you. Even my 5 year old niece sees what is wrong with that logic.

Then back it up with your own logic. If piracy is theft, why is it not prosecuted as such under the law? What has the victim lost? I don't know about InBlack, but I've got a Steam account worth thousands to prove that I'm not rationalizing my own actions, and I don't buy exclusively through Steam.

Missing your point about Steam. I have the same thing. Bears no relevance on the piracy discussion.

That said:

I'm pretty sure if you "copy" documents from a CIA server, someone will be knocking on your door. If you "borrow" a car and return it, you're still going to jail. If you pirate a video game, movie, or music, yes, you are committing a felony.

Why is the argument ridiculous? Simple: you're not reimbursing the people that worked to give you entertainment for services rendered.

People that steal games then bitch about the state of the industry are like people that don't vote, but go all in on the Occupy Movement. Hypocrites. As anyone can tell you, if a studio doesn't generate titles that bring in sufficient revenue to stay around, they will die (See: Looking Glass). Super-easy relationship between the two.

Piracy is like sneaking into a movie theater, and rationalizing it by saying "well, they're playing the movie anyway..." And yes, you can take a trip in a black and white for that.

The Plaintiffs are suing not because the crime did not occur, but, rather, because anyone can bring a civil trial to court, and the burden of proof has a different litmus test. Make no mistake, violating DCMA/copyright/patents can result in criminal trial, they just seldom do.

And, lest you think otherwise, and here's that proof:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2008/05/guilty-verdict/

End of line.

^D^

108. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:23 ^Drag0n^

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game."

Newsflash, smart guy. Those aren't consumers. The 5% are.

^D^

106. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:14 ^Drag0n^

InBlack wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:08:
Here some Logic 101, for those of you who are slow on the uptake:

Stealing a car is theft.

Breaking into a home and stealing a TV is theft.

Hell even getting into the cookie jar while your mothers not looking can be labeled as theft.

What do all of those have in common? Something was stolen, specifically an object that belonged to person A was taken by person B. After said deed, person A no longer possesed the said object.

Kids, do you see where Im going here?

Now lets say I could copy said objects and take those copies, would that still be theft???

If I could copy the car from the first example, and drive away in my copy would that be stealing??? In theory the person who owned the car should not really give a fuck. The AUTOMAKER though, thats another matter. They would consider that a lost sale.

Equating piracy with theft is bullshit. Im not saying Piracy is not an infringement, or even that it isnt a criminal act. Im just saying that it cant and SHOULD NOT have the same weight on the scales of Justice.

Keep rationalizing stealing. I hope that works out for you. Even my 5 year old niece sees what is wrong with that logic.

^D^

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2011, 10:25.

104. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 10:13 ^Drag0n^

The argument of DRM forcing a sell-through is a fallacy. It only pisses off legitimate owners with a conscience.

If a game has an 82% piracy rate, the real question is, "how much of that 82% steal games because they can, not because they would buy them otherwise?"

It's the same old argument that's been trolled by the RIAA and MPAA for decades acainst cassette deck, VDRs, CDRs, DVDRs, and digital downloads. And it's all just a bunch of sewage written by marketing and lawyers that have no clue what is going on around them.

The people that use pirate bay will ALWAYS use pirate bay; the mistake is in looking at them as "lost sources of revenue." Why? Because they never were a revenue source to begin with. They will steal a game with zero intent to buy it, whether it costs $60 or $6.

Start interacting with your customers more. Understand what they want, what they like, and what they hate. Knock off that Arrogant attitude, and behave like a company that wants to make money and grow a consumer base, not piss off the few remaining paying customers they have by saying "screw you, people that still pay us! We KNOW you want to steal it! So we're going to give you a second-class game that is a real POS that's not WORTH stealing!"

God. It's like all the retarded rejects in basic consumer relations and marketing all moved to Montreal or something.

^D^

102. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 09:54 ^Drag0n^

Why Ubi insists on blaming piracy for every quarter they miss sales is beyond me. Blaming a platform that doesn't generate 1/5th of the sell-throughs that the consoles do for same financial woes is equally nonsensical. And sticking your head in that dark, smelly place sure is the wrong way to address the real problem.

Try making a game that people WANT with DRM that doesn't prevent LEGAL OWNERS from playing the game. Making it sound like PC gamers are all Johnny Depp on the wild sea ot hthe internet is just BS. A gaming rig costs $1200-$5000, and you can't pirate that.

I haven't bought their games since R6:V2(1). Why? Because their DRM sucks sewer pipe, and I'll be damned if I will buy a single player game they can shut off on a whim. AssCreed isn't so compelling that I feel I need it, nor do I feel I'm missing something.

This is pretty much the last straw. Unless Gamestop has a 3-for-1 used game sale (from which UBI won't see a dollar of revenue from), UBI games are now permanently off my list of publishers I'll buy anything from. PC, XBOX, or otherwise. Period.

Get a clue, UBI. Seriously.

^D^

(1) That doesn't mean I stole them from pirate bay either. I value the security of my machine more than a free stupid video game.

News Comments > Skyrim Versus ThreatFire
52. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 17, 2011, 17:57 ^Drag0n^

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 18:17:
Good catch. I've worked with almost every anti-virus there is in my career and I've never heard of ThreatFire. Is this popular?

Sorry I missed this one.

I wouldn't say it's popular, but it does come bundled in PC Tools AV, or is free if downloaded independently.

The rub on it is that it's a Day Zero heuristic monitor that looks for 'suspicious application behavior' and stops it when it occurs. The downside is that it looks like a handful of games (CoD:WaW, Skyrim, and some PunkBuster-enabled titles) take exception to what it's doing and do not launch. They just stop.

PC Tools is aware of these issues, but it involves a level of cooperation with the authors of the code triggering a false positive, most of which don't seem too inclined to jump on addressing the issue.

Not surprising, because as you pointed out, there just aren't a lot of people that use ThreatFire. I'm just disappointed that the studios don't at least test for this or make people aware when an issue becomes known.

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records
13. Re: More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records Nov 17, 2011, 17:43 ^Drag0n^

Activision to Zenimax: "My dad can beat up your dad!"

Gawd.

News Comments > Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands"
27. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands" Nov 17, 2011, 17:18 ^Drag0n^

"Justin Beiber: Kombat Karaoke" ?  

News Comments > Jurassic Jeep and Chaos Theory
4. Re: Jurassic Jeep and Chaos Theory Nov 15, 2011, 00:02 ^Drag0n^

I doubt we are seeing the full story here. Playing out as a "he-said she-said," when, if you step back a bit, it looks like a botched up comedy of errors on both sides: the owner, for not being diligent and smart (ie: sending the pics to telltale documenting the condition of the vehicle ahead), and Telltale, for blindly signing off on the shipper before checking the vehicle to same pictures. Lesson for both parties. Don't really see any evil intended on either side here.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2011, 02:28.

News Comments > Previously on Assassin's Creed
3. Re: Previously on Assassin's Creed Nov 14, 2011, 23:39 ^Drag0n^

marketing: Hey, there's a fanfic summary of all the AC games leading up to this new one coming out tomorrow.

CEO: really?

Marketing: yeah, let's block it under DCMAso we can sell more copies of the old game, I mean, damn, people new to he series shouldn't even be PLAYING this game!

CEO: good point. Make it happen.

News Comments > BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down
16. Re: Hope thats not the only thing they fix Nov 14, 2011, 23:26 ^Drag0n^

Sepharo wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 22:45:

Select the explosives perk and/or hit the tank in the ass.

How dare you insist on skill, sir!

;-)

48. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 18:10 ^Drag0n^

I've heard that Kaspersky may cause a similar issue depending on the mode it's set in. YMMV, as, unlike PC Tools, I do not have this one ony any of my machines.

^D^

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2011, 18:15.

46. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 17:11 ^Drag0n^

Hudson wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 09:15:
People that use anti virus programs are just as retarded as the ones that spend 80 dollars for Norton to "protect" their machines and then have it just break everything.

I've had to fix many a machine from people taking that stance. Once you plug a virgin machine into a network, it takes about 20 seconds before machines start getting pinged with known Windows exploits, per what I've seen monitoring IP traffic where I work with EtherApe and Wireshark.

20 seconds before every hacker in China, Russia, and god knows where else starts flooding your network until something works. NAT helps to a degree, but it won't protect you from them all.

Personally, I'm just not that cavalier with my personal data, and someone calling me a retard isn't going to change the fact that it's just plain stupid to run an unprotected machine and expect to retain any degree of security whatsoever.

YMMV.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2011, 17:19.

22. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 22:30 ^Drag0n^

It's somewhat odd, as I run multiple rigs, and the one I happened to install Skyrim on happened to also be the one I still had Threatfire on. In general, it hasn't caused many problems. I can't really say anything bad about it, as it has caugh a page or two off Yahoo! Links my wife visited. On this particular machine, it was running over MS Security Essentials, and both seemed fairly benign until 11-11-11 hit ;-)

That said, I doubt that I'll continue running it over MSSE, as this is actually the third game I've had issues with when running Threatfire. That, added to the fact that Lady ^D^ now has a MacBook Air she does everything on, really means that the marginally better security that the heuristic threat detection offers probably just isn't worth the hassle it gives until you realize what is driving the problem.

^D^

News Comments > 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim
60. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 14:44 ^Drag0n^

For those that are having problems getting into the game at all (i.e. the game crashes with the message "Skyrim has stopped working," after hitting "play" in the launcher:

It looks like the PC version of Skyrim is not something that PCTools Threatfire likes. Threatfire causes the game to crash at the launcher when you hit "play" with no message, other than "Skyrim has stopped working.".

How did I figure this out? I had a similar problem With CoD: World at War a while back which made me think Threatfire might be the issue.

The easiest way to fix the issue is to just uninstall Threatfire completely. (Note: You can force-quit Threatfire from the process monitor, but you also have to force-quit ALL other ThreatFire/PC Tools modules to make that work. It's not trivial or an easy thing to do for people with limited PC skills.)

EDIT: Here's a "simpler" way to stop ThreatFire without uninstalling it:

(1) Ctr+right click Threatfire in the systray and select "exit."
(2) In an administrator-level CMD windo, type" net stop threatfire"

Note: "Suspending" ThreatFire alone from the systray will NOT fix the problem.

^D^

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 14:50.

News Comments > Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached
72. Re: Steam Forum Downtime Follow-up; Steam Also Breached Nov 12, 2011, 14:52 ^Drag0n^

Hoping that the rumored AES256 is true. If so, you really can't ask them to do much more, aside from encryping all of your PM that way (which may not be a bad idea).

I wish they would come out and say it, though, but I understand the libel reasons for them not doing so. Even my friends as Valve won't comment on it, so you know they are taking it seriously.

^D^

News Comments > Steam Forums Hacked?
47. Re: Steam Forums Hacked? Nov 12, 2011, 11:22 ^Drag0n^

Unacceptable.

Just sayin'

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 11:34.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Nov 9, 2011, 12:53 ^Drag0n^

^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 8, 2011, 18:52:
COD8:MW3: Contemporary Warfare

Sorry, I screwed that up.

It should be: CoD8:MW3:WW3:Part1

I'll strive to do better next time.

^D^

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo