Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1242 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM
19. Re: CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM Nov 30, 2011, 14:18 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 12:23:
I disagree. If the official product is superior to the free one, people will be more inclined to buy it. Steam is a great example. My friend used to pirate everything and very rarely bought anything. However, he now routinely buys games on Steam due to it being more convenient than pirating. All his games are in one place and can be downloaded and installed with a single click, along with automatic updates.

The thing that most publishers and developers don't seem to grasp is that DRM reduces the value of your game. People don't like entering CD-keys or activating their games or revoking install licenses. Simply put, they don't like jumping through hoops in order to play the games they paid for.

Agree with you 100%. I actually bought the CE of Skyrim not just for the extras, but also to throw my financial support behind a company that actually supports and encourages mods in the PC user community.

Well, that and the dragon statue is kinda kickass... ;-)

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM
18. Re: CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM Nov 30, 2011, 14:11 ^Drag0n^

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 13:03:
But CD Projeckt is doing it right. These guys are awesome. I've bought two copies of the Witcher so far and will be giving out more as Christmas presents, because this kind of goodwill towards gamers deserves to be rewarded.

Agreed. Adjusting the way you do business to add value is the only way to win here. There is no way anyone will ever eliminate piracy. It's just a fact of doing business; something that becomes even more dominant in the Asian markets.

Kudos to them.

^D^

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 29, 2011, 23:15 ^Drag0n^

I'm gping to try and not worry about this too much, as I never sit on my router.

^D^

News Comments > "Canon" Indy Jones Facebook Game Tomorrow
19. Re: Nov 29, 2011, 21:59 ^Drag0n^

My wife bought tickets, saying "hey look, opening night at 12:01!" on thursday while we were getting ready for bed.

"Get your coat."

"Why?"

"When is 12:01AM Friday?"

=)

^D^

15. Re: Nov 29, 2011, 19:02 ^Drag0n^

I still prefer the first.

Someone once made an oservation that your favorite between the films had to do with which one you saw first. Me, obviously #1. In the Drive in (long hilarious story, but not for here).

Ant, Seph...which one did you guys see first?

^D^

13. Re: Nov 29, 2011, 18:58 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 20:22:
Like the other major Zynga games, it entices people to click and play for a few minutes per session before waiting to earn more energy to keep playing—or by paying for that energy to keep playing immediately.

That sounds about as much fun as watching someone saw my dick off. Slowly.

And this is the biggest gaming company in the world. Unbefuckinglievable.

Creston

I know, right? It's hard to believe that there are so many people out there that are willing to part with their money like that.

Somewhat reminds me of those classic gun-games they have in the arcades..."deposit 2 tokens to continue." Only this arcade never closes. Ever.

^D^

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Dragon Shout App for Skyrim Nov 29, 2011, 18:44 ^Drag0n^

To clarify: This app is not yet released, but will be shortly. The dev team has opened the website ahead of time to pique interest.

The basic idea is that this acts as a journalling App for Skyrim players, somewhat different from a wiki, in that you can restrict access to your "journal group," and learn from the experiences of others, rather than reading through a straight walkthrough (i.e. it leaves some of the discovery up to you).

Will be available for iOS and Android, and will allow you to log into your account from any of the supported devices.

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Versus ThreatFire
53. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 29, 2011, 18:34 ^Drag0n^

yonder wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 18:06:
Kudos on picking this conflict up. Hopefully this antivirus is worth the repeated issues its cause. I'm fine with my avast for now.

As for Skyrim crashing, if I may speak for the silent majority, I've played 27 hours and have had it crash once. Part of that might be because I'm in the silent minority with a killer rig. I haven't heard lots of complaints of Skyrim crashing (due to the fact that most of my time is spent playing Skyrim) but it can't be nearly as bad as, say, Fallout New Vegas.

Yeah, once I figured out it was ThreatFire buggering the thing up, I haven't seen crash one in the game since. It's actually been remarkably stable.

It's kind of sad that we have to have so many layers of security to protect our data and identities; definitely one of the many downsides of firewalls/AV--not knowing if the problem is really the game, or something your AV thinks the Game is doing that it shouldn't.

Argh.

^D^

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 28, 2011, 19:50 ^Drag0n^

LMAO...glitch or mod, that's hilarious.

^D^

News Comments > Mad Max Game & Brendan McNamara's Whore Of The Orient
19. Re: Mad Max Game & Brendan McNamara's Whore Of The Orient Nov 28, 2011, 19:48 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 16:27:
That quote came from when I RTFA, as did the sum total of my knowledge on the subject.
Since I don't live in AU, I must admit to a paucity of knowledge on australian movie making and the tax laws thereof.

Hahaha...Thanks, Dev, and no worries...I'm just curious as to what exactly this thing is.

^D^

13. Re: Mad Max Game & Brendan McNamara's Whore Of The Orient Nov 28, 2011, 15:28 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 15:11:
I was curious how and what government was supporting... well, whores.

Six months prior the pair embarked on a concerted, behind-the-scenes campaign to persuade the federal government to extend the 40 per cent Australian producer tax rebate introduced in 2007,

Turns out the AU gov only applies that to movies, and this dev and others have been trying to persuade them it applies to games too.

Interesting.

Very. Do you have any links on this producer's Tax Rebate? I'm somewhat curious.

^D^

10. Re: Mad Max Game & Brendan McNamara's Whore Of The Orient Nov 28, 2011, 14:56 ^Drag0n^

I'd say you are correct.

I'm just curious as to the plot-line of this project, I mean, with that kind of title...

^D^

8. Re: Brendan McNamara's Whore Of The Orient & Mad Max Game Nov 28, 2011, 14:25 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 10:54:
Whore of the Orient, eh?

That'll go over well. Who says video games aren't female friendly!?

LMAO...and people thought "Dead Island" cvars were over the top...

^D^

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
172. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 28, 2011, 14:17 ^Drag0n^

Teddy wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 07:59:
And as a gamer, you should know full well that what an attorney 'thinks' is completely irrelevant to the law. Ask Jack Thompson about that one. He was grandstanding and spouting the exact words his clients wanted him to, nothing more and not even close to a comment that in any way shape or form defines the law. Hell, Jack Thompson called video games 'Murder Simulators', he was an attorney at the time, I guess it must be true right?

Jack Thompson in not an US Attorney; he does not prosecute on behalf of the people as a member of the Executive branch of the Federal Government. Again, you are missing my point. What I was saying was that there is a clear message that the US Attorney's Office is sending in terms of what said office intends to prosecute, and how they view the crime. A low level US Attorney can't make statements like that without the Administration endorsing the opinion.

Look, you can call me whatever names you want, but that's not going to change the the fact that the Feds are leaning in that direction, and are trying to push legislation where it does not match that definition. And the lobbyists for the artists, publishers, and unions that represent these people are backing those that feel that way too. The law isn't absolute, it is a work-in-progress. It can, and will, change should circumstances dictate such. Were it not as such, there would have been no laws past the Bill of Rights and the Constitution as written by the founding fathers; owning slaves would still be legal, women wouldn't be voting, and Congress would still be deciding whom should be President.

The LAW says that Piracy, be it music, video or software IS NOT THEFT.

Please show me that. Seriously. I really want to see it in the CFR.

You're welcome to ignore the personal attacks, I throw them in because you've earned them. Particularly by being such a complete and utter hypocrite. You accuse me of not bothering to read everything when you conveniently skip over the parts of everyone's posts where they explain IN DETAIL that they're well aware that piracy is wrong and illegal, yet you still accuse them of trying to rationalize or justify because they don't agree with your idiotic, incorrect (and completely proven so) definition of piracy.

Now just a damn minute; show me where I'm "ignoring" anything. I've not only read the previous posts, but I've acknowledged flaws that Verno and others have pointed out in what I said, and corrected, rethought, or clarrified my position as appropriate. My belief that the Executive Branch Federal Government sees piracy as Theft of Intellectual Property, and is moving to prosecute it as such through through the injection of juricprudence via "legeslation from the bench," (be that practice right or wrong) is my opinion. Your belief that Piracy is not theft is your opinion which I happen to disagree with. I happen to think that tangible property does not have to be involved for there to have been theft, ID theft being the most notable example thereof. I am not calling anyone an idiot. I am not the one trouncing around calling other forum members retards and telling them their niece and/or her teachers is/are stupid. And, on top of all this, you have managed to ignore the forest through the trees which is: My position on how the industry should deal with piracy (regardless of whether or what type of crime it may be) is that the publishers should just quit whining, chalk it up to reality, and either deal with it by adapting their business model and making quality product that makes the risk of using pirated games completely unappealing, or just stop making PC games altogether and leave it up to people that want to invest properly in the PC platform.

God, talk about missing the point.

Now, I'm pretty sure you're the type that wants to get in one last shot at me. Feel free. As far as I'm concerned this discorse is over, and I'll waste no more time on it.

^D^

PS: For the record, I agree. Jack Thompson was nothing more than a media grabber.

News Comments > Black Friday Consolidation
1. Re: Black Friday Consolidation Nov 25, 2011, 23:55 ^Drag0n^

Mmmmmmm.....bacon.

Everything is better with bacon...

157. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 20:09 ^Drag0n^

WarpCrow wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 16:59:
You do realize that a US attorney is simply a high-ranking lawyer, right? A lawyer who, in this case, was prosecuting in a case of commercial piracy? Which is, incidentally, legally completely separate from small-scale piracy for personal, non-commercial use.

Yes. Point being remarks like the ones he delivered are an indication of how the AG views certain crimes, and what their legal position would be should they chose to attack individuals in the future.

My real point here is I don't think that one needs a judge to tell them what is right or wrong, you pretty much can figure that one out on soul searching.

I won't hide it; I am of the opinion that piracy does take something away from the people that created it, and I guess that comes from having been on both sides of that equation. Again, I believe perspectives on this get scewed when you're responsible for the welfare of individuals that make these games

That said, I also think that it's piss-poor marketing and PR to sit back and blame the PC for all of your companies woes; people have pirated, do pirate, and will continue to pirate games, music, and movies. The smarter companies will look at this, and rather than try to milk blood from a stone, will adopt their means and methods such that they not only do not alienate existing customers, but also make buying their products less of a hastle than dealing with the risks inherent in Pirate Bay and hacked copies off BT or hack sites.

IMO.

^D^

152. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 16:38 ^Drag0n^

Teddy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 14:05:
No one is arguing whether it's illegal or immoral, so there's no justifying of anything going on, you utter fucking retard, They're arguing the fact that for some reason you (and apparently some other idiot on here) seem incapable of understanding the difference.

And perhaps you should not just read one of my posts and go off half cocked, but rather read the conversation before throwing the verbal filth around. Had you done so, you would have seen I actually acknowledged that, but pointed out my reason for posting that link was more to what the US Attorney said to the media, and the ramifications it has going forward; so if you're going to quote the article, be sure you quote the relevant part:

"'Music piracy is stealing and, unless you want to end up in a federal prison, don’t do it,' said U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg in a statement trumpeting the verdict."

I've pretty much come to expect comments at that level from you, which is why I really don't care about the personal attacks you throw in as well.

QED.

^D^

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2011, 16:53.

131. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 12:22 ^Drag0n^

Fletch wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 12:11:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 06:33:
Technically, they don't actually own it. Ownership is a legal term. They simply possess it. In any case, I agree that most people won't buy something they already have. The question is whether or not pirates would have bought what they have had it not be freely available. I'd say no. People are cheap. They are also lazy. If you make the official product more convenient than the pirated one, people are more likely to buy the official one. However, publishers are forcing legitimate customers to deal with CD-keys, online activations, limited installs, constant internet connection requirements, etc. Meanwhile, pirates don't have to deal with any of that. Publishers will never beat pirates when it comes to pricing but they can beat them when it comes to convenience. Just look at the success of Steam. Ubisoft needs to learn that treating customers like thieves isn't going to increase their sales.

THIS!

+1

100% agreement. And while I was taking the blowhard route to it, it's pretty much what I was trying to say, too.

^D^

120. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 11:18 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 11:10:
Rattlehead wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 11:05:
It's funny reading these comments and how an average gamer is suddenly a lawyer when it comes to these topics. Keep up the arguments with your pseudo knowledge of law straight from wikipedia!

We really need to have a Bluesnews vs Yahoo! comments showdown. Now that I would pay to see!

Pfft, at our worst moments we ain't got nothin on Yahoo comments man. A real showdown would be Yahoo vs Youtube comments. The world would implode from the resulting stupidity bomb.

I shudder at the very thought.

Oh, and Skyrim! ;-)

^D^

119. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 11:15 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 10:55:
Not that I don't sympathize with your position Drag, that case was about commercial distribution of copyrighted materials and that's a whole different ballgame.

Yeah. It looks like they're using that case to clarify legal nuance in terms of the term, though.

^D^

1242 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo