Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
24. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 9, 2012, 22:59 ^Drag0n^

Icewind wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 20:12:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:53:
Hah! Called it! I knew it was going to be less than 5 mil. I reckoned somewhere around the 2-3 million mark. So Herve and his bro get a mil each and can now fuckoff die and never darken gaming's doorway again.

White-knighting Bethesda? Really? You don't deserve to call yourself a gamer, boy.

Dude, I'll white night any damn company that supports the modding community the way Bethesda does.

Never understood all the hate these guys get from some folks.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 8, 2012, 19:14 ^Drag0n^

The best thing that they could do is have everyone one of the Anti-SOPA sites force every user of their domains to watch a 2 minute video on why SOPA is a bad thing before allowing any access the sites on their domains: mail, news, sports, games, everything.

Freedom isn't free. And while I believe in protecting the rights o an inventor or artist, this bill is just a Trojan horse that will inevitably lead to corporate cronyism and legal quagmire.

^D^

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Skyrim - Bear Jan 5, 2012, 10:06 ^Drag0n^

I never laughed so hard since Chevy Chace killed the invisible swordsman.

Top shelf humor. Loved it.

^D^

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
67. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 4, 2012, 04:21 ^Drag0n^

Wow. What an absolutely wretched sounding game. Their solution to a clear design flaw? Ban those exploiting it. Brilliant. What a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

^D^

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit?
11. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 20:03 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 11:58:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:52:
It's the only way out. I'm betting they got less than half the original asking price of 50 million, probably 15 to 20 million.
50 million is an insane price for an MMO IP (unless it's WoW). Interplay (aka Caen) was greedy.

Agree.

And when Bethesda makes games bigger than some states in the Union, well, who really shives a goat about it being MMO?

Seriously, WoW aside, MMO's have about the lifetime of a swamp gnat.

^D^

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit?
10. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 19:59 ^Drag0n^

I'd go with option (2) for $10,000, Alex.

^D^

News Comments > Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost
79. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 31, 2011, 14:08 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 01:34:
Sure it is. Case in point: iOS vs. Android. Windows vs. Mac. MythTV vs. Windows Media Center. PS3 vs. Xbox vs. Wii.

I personally like the heiarchial minimalist approach. You don't. It's subjective based on preference.

I'm not talking about style, I'm talking about functionality. Scroll bars, for example, are a common feature of Windows, MacOS, Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, etc, because it's considered standard. Skyrim does not have scroll bars, in spite of the amount of scrolling you have to do...

Scroll bars are just an element of a UI, not the entirety of it. I think you're kind of missing my point, and we're getting into a in a forest through the trees thing here.

Again, preference. I might like having something completely different than you describe, like, say, a graphical representation of my player-character that I can drag and drop items onto, or maybe a CLI where I just type out what I want to equip. Does that make one bad over the other? Not really. It just makes them different. Bethesda has had this interface since Morrowind, and, well, I guess I've just grown accustomed to it.

Err, Morrowind had a completely different UI than any games since. It was icon-based, whereas the later games revolve around text lists. But again, if you're going to have text lists, you need to provide users with a way to quickly navigate them. Skyrim doesn't do that.

I worded that poorly; I meant that Morrowind was the last game theuy had that had a different UI; all the others have been fairly derivative of each other since then.

Why? I mean why make it different across platforms when it functionally serves it's purpose? We're not talking about forcing a gamepad here. the mouse and scrollwheel works. that said, I actually use WASD + E (R, Y/N) without even thinking about it. *shrug*

Because it's not just a matter of being functional. It's a matter of functioning well. According to your logic, players should be happy if games merely run, as opposed to being any good.

Out of curiosity, do you do a lot of alchemy in the game? If you do and you haven't noticed the ridiculous amount of scrolling required, I'm not sure what to say.

Some, but admittedly not a lot. I'm not really disagreeing with you that the UI could use polish, I am, however, disagreeing that the UI needs to be inherently different (barring mouse support) across platforms.

Again, no matter what they release, an element of the gaming population is going to think that it's utter crap, so, why waste more time on it when you know what you have works, provides little/zero risk of a platform-specific problem, and, for the most part, looks exactly like the UI of the last several RPGs you've put out?

Because it results in a better product for the specific platform? What you're basically saying is that developers should put no effort into their PC ports.

No, what I'm saying is that they should put the same amount of effort into ALL platforms, and not bias one over the other. While most of what you say I agree with in principle, all platforms would benefit from same/similar changes.

^D^

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2011, 14:18.

78. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 31, 2011, 13:49 ^Drag0n^

What are your system specs, Creston? Just curious.  

67. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 27, 2011, 23:20 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 06:08:
I understand and respect your thoughts, but I think that UI is, at best, very subjective, and I can totally relate to their decision to just make the UIs consistent across platforms. In some ways I appreciate this, as I have a few of these games on PC and 360.

I don't think good UI is really subjective at all. The point of UI is to provide a means for the user to interact with the software. Ideally, these interactions should be as quick and intuitive as possible. In essence, if a UI is doing its job well, the player will never have anything to say about it because they don't even notice it. It meets all their expectations and gives them no reason to be frustrated or annoyed. It is essentially invisible.

Sure it is. Case in point: iOS vs. Android. Windows vs. Mac. MythTV vs. Windows Media Center. PS3 vs. Xbox vs. Wii.

I personally like the heiarchial minimalist approach. You don't. It's subjective based on preference.

Skyrim's UI does not achieve this. There is redundant scrolling in almost every menu, due to the focus on aesthetics rather than functionality. And with all this excessive scrolling, basic things like scroll bars and sorting are sorely missed. Then there's an 8 hotkey limit, even though keyboards have 10 number keys. Then there's the fact that players have to mark items/spells as favorites before they can be assigned hotkeys.

Again, preference. I might like having something completely different than you describe, like, say, a graphical representation of my player-character that I can drag and drop items onto, or maybe a CLI where I just type out what I want to equip. Does that make one bad over the other? Not really. It just makes them different. Bethesda has had this interface since Morrowind, and, well, I guess I've just grown accustomed to it.

Finally, UI should never be consistent across platforms when one of those platforms is PC. M/KB is a completely different control scheme than a gamepad. PC users typically sit much closer to the screen than console users as well. These are significant considerations that should be made when porting a game to PC and if you ignore them, you are disrespecting the PC platform and those who game on it.

Why? I mean why make it different across platforms when it functionally serves it's purpose? We're not talking about forcing a gamepad here. the mouse and scrollwheel works. that said, I actually use WASD + E (R, Y/N) without even thinking about it. *shrug*

I mean, why make a special UI if you know people will still complain. Let's be honest here--PC gamers are just about impossible to please; we always want more than we get, even if it is exactly what we as for ;-)

That's not really a good philosophy to take. Yes, there will always be people complaining about something. However, that doesn't mean you should automatically discard their complaints. Skyrim's UI is slower and less inefficient than it should be, especially considering the complexity of the game. It has an excessive amount of scrolling, forcing players to spend more time in menus than they should have to. Basic things like scroll bars and sorting would help alleviate this but Bethesda didn't bother because they always put the bare minimum of effort into their PC ports. While I applaud them for releasing mod tools, players shouldn't have to rely on mods to get a decent UI.

Maybe not, but it is the truth.

Again, no matter what they release, an element of the gaming population is going to think that it's utter crap, so, why waste more time on it when you know what you have works, provides little/zero risk of a platform-specific problem, and, for the most part, looks exactly like the UI of the last several RPGs you've put out?

Again, my point here isn't about what the UI should look like, it's that if even you and I have different functionality preferences, then Bethesda has no hope of making both of us happy, never mind the entire gaming community ;-)

^D^

PS: for the record, I freaking hate Android, even though I like my Xoom. I prefer iOS. I like Windows 7 over anything else, but do like elements of OSX. IMO, Linux looks like piss, and while it may be powerful (and I do use it), it is about as user friendly as a chainsaw to the wrists (regardless of the distro).

IMO

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2011, 23:45.

63. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 27, 2011, 01:54 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 19:57:

(^Drag0n^ wrote): Adding my $0.02 to this: All that means is that they made a multiplatform UI to ease the workload, and focus on the more important task of development of the actual game as opposed to custom UIs. I like it that way. It's lead to a better game in this case, IMO.

I completely disagree. If you're going to release a game on multiple platforms, you should ensure that each platform gets equal focus. For the PC, this means redesigning the UI as necessary (as Bioware tends to do). Skyrim's UI was clearly designed for gamepads, not M/KB, and even with gamepads, it's slow, clunky and requires an excessive amount of scrolling. Skyrim would be a better game if the UI were better.

I understand and respect your thoughts, but I think that UI is, at best, very subjective, and I can totally relate to their decision to just make the UIs consistent across platforms. In some ways I appreciate this, as I have a few of these games on  PC and 360.

Are there things I'd like? Sure. I'd love to be able to hit a letter and have it jump to the first item in the list starting with that letter. I'd like it to not include "the" when sorting books alphabetically. I'd like it to group weapons by Type, and let me be able to sort by enchantment and / or damage.

But it doesn't. So, I'll live with it until a mod comes that adds a UI I like, which is pretty much the purpose that Bethesda gives us the dev tools for anyway.

I mean, why make a special UI if you know people will still complain. Let's be honest here--PC gamers are just about impossible to please; we always want more than we get, even if it is exactly what we as for ;-)

All I'm saying is port or no, this game is just awesome. And what makes it even more so is the fact that the devs let the community have their tools, which only adds to the longevity and the overall value of the game on the PC. Which is why I'll always get (at the very least) the PC version of Bethesda RPG: not just because their games are good, but because Bethesda supports modding better than >98% of everyone else in the industry.

IMO & YMMV.

^D^

52. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 14:16 ^Drag0n^

Tanto Edge wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 14:01:
That's some retarded logic there.
They design a UI that will work on all systems and that defines a port.

Adding my $0.02 to this: All that means is that they made a multiplatform UI to ease the workload, and focus on the more important task of development of the actual game as opposed to custom UIs. I like it that way. It's lead to a better game in this case, IMO.

The PC has tons of graphical options and other enhancements over the console versions. I really kind of get tired of this "if it's available on the 360/PS3, IT'S A PORT!" crap sometimes.

Besides, the mod community for Beth games ALWAYS makes new UIs for people not liking the vanilla version.

Look, I understand that some folks are having issues with the game in terms of compatibility of some of the software they are running (usually AV/anti-malware that is not, in general, game friendly), or issues with being dissapointed that some of their hardware is long in the tooth compared to the high-end system requirements that the game has. I get it. I finally pushed myself to get a new card for this game, replacing my 8800GTX SLI setup. Haven't regretted it at all, other than feeling bad that I have to give up two cards that worked great for 5 years.

What amazes me is that in a pinch, on lower settings, I can actually play this game on an ion2 NETBOOK. Sure, it looks like shit, but it's (mostly) playable.

I guess my point is, this thing is GOTY material because the gameplay is awesome. I have no disrespect for anyone in the mod community; I think it's great that they are extending the hardware reach of the game, but I don't think Bethesda, a company that actually makes games and gives you the tools to mod them, is in any way derelict of duty. Aside from the Threatfire issue I found, I haven't had any issues with the vanilla game.

YMMV.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, all! God bless us, every one!

^D^

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2011, 14:28.

35. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 25, 2011, 01:33 ^Drag0n^

Why on earth would I be ashamed of buying a game from a studio that doesn't port, but rather enhances ANDadds modding tools to some of the deepest games made today?

I really don't understand a lot of this Bethesda-Hate. Most of the issues people are having are not poor programming on behalf of the developer, but rather poor programming of other programs/utilities people are running (see my previous report on ThreatFire).

I actually shelled out the coin for the CE, as I'm not just a fan of Bethesda's games, but also a fan of how they treat the mod community.

^D^

24. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 15:59 ^Drag0n^

Gen7 wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 14:35:

The thing that scares me about this is I install it, something goes wrong 5 hours later and I've lost my 100 hour game. For basic mods I'm confident this is fine but something deeper like this? I don't fancy it, not yet.

Back up your saves. They're in Documents/MyGames/Skyrim. It's Copy and Paste from there.

Not always that simple. Sometimes a flag gets flipped that you don't see the effects of until other conditions are met that make the crash occur.

14. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 14:07 ^Drag0n^

DrEvil wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 12:39:
I disagree with the OP's analysis...I know it's fun to bash developers, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet that Bethesda actually screwed something up. Without actually seeing the original project files used to compile the code, wild-ass guesses and rampant speculation are about all anybody has.

I agree completely and wholeheartedly with everything you posted.

I logged in 8 straight on my day off in Skyrim (no mods), and narry a crash. That seems like a success to me.

^D^

13. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 13:53 ^Drag0n^

Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 13:36:
Whoohoo! Just picked up Skyrim for $40!

Seems that this should be my last purchase for the Christmas sale period since I got Deus Ex:HR for $10 earlier this morning!!!

I can now sit back and bask in my overloaded games list and wonder when I'll actually get around to playing everything... Sweatdrop

You're not doing that already?

Damn these Steam sales....more games than i'll ever play!

;-)

^D^

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2011, 09:07 ^Drag0n^

Tetris *was* a fad.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Dec 19, 2011, 23:34 ^Drag0n^

GOG for older drm-free games, Steam for everything else.

Never used impulse or gamer's gate, and have no inclination to.

Yup, I don't have BF3 or COD3, and I have no intention of getting them either.

Loving Skyrim and the free Steam copy of Arkham City that came with my new Nvidia card just fine.

News Comments > Argh, No Half-Life 3 ARG
15. Re: Argh, No Half-Life 3 ARG Dec 13, 2011, 01:14 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 01:07:
Portal 3 coming in 2012. I'm callin' it now.

You're probably right, but... Meh....

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
35. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 04:43 ^Drag0n^

Acleacius wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 23:38:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 23:19:
I'm wondering if my excessive amount of saves has had any impact. I've been playing for over 90 hours and have over 1500 saves. Apparently the PS3 version gets severe performance issues after you've created a lot of saves so it's possible the PC version has the same, only you need to make more saves before it becomes obvious.
Forgot to send this to Blue, seen it yet J.E. Sawyer on Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim Save Game Lag Issue?

That was a pretty awesome article. Thanks for popping it up (even if it was a repeat... I missed it the first go-around). I always suspected that something like this was the reason for the large savegame files; nice to hear the designers so candid about it and the issues it presents.

^D^

News Comments > CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM
25. Re: CD Projekt on Piracy and DRM Nov 30, 2011, 17:38 ^Drag0n^

Halo wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 17:19:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 17:11:
ASeven wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 16:58:
I''ve been in China, Russia, Thailand, Dubai ...
Read post 14

How did you go to Hong Kong but not China? "/

LMAO

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo