Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
85. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 8, 2012, 14:44 ^Drag0n^

TurdFergasun wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 08:31:
sure the requirements are a bit steep, but so are the requirements for metro2033 which is a much nicer looking game, so is whitcher2. try to run it w/uber-sampling, or metro with proper AA so they look their best, and try to find a card that can play it at hi resolution at vsync frames, there's still no single card out there that can play it with solid vsync and proper anti aliasing.

two expensive($5-600) video cards that just came out though with 3gb of vram which will soon be the status quo, and just like when doom3 was around and the ati 9800xt came along that could actually play it with solid frames, there was a new yardstick, from the same game, and video card company too. doom3 looked tits out of the box back then, still looks alright today, but sure was a shitty game after the first hour or so. i'm seeing a pattern here. i admit rage as it is, isn't pretty in spots, but as a world to exist in for a time, it's a very compelling place visually, taken in as a whole. sort of steampunk dr seuss to my eyes, and very rich scenes, but just like doom3 rage blew it's wad early and the gameplay became work just to forward the story.

if id ever bother to do the same thing as bethesda with their supposed massive texture pack i'd probably go back for another run, much like how i'll probably risk another arrow to the knee in skyrim, but from the comparison shots, and the peasely 3gb texture pack size i'm not expecting much. perhaps when the new nvidia offerings come out in the next month or two id might find the effort worthwhile.

I have no disagreement with any of your points. In fact, if you look back on my previous posts, you'll see that I've even defended JohnC's decisions on the tech in Rage, as I know full well that 1-2 years from now the hardware needed to run it at full resolution will be the norm.

All that said, whether I agree and support John's technical decisions is moot, the fact remains that they burned up a lot of goodwill with the PC gaming community, as people with very powerful rigs were learning the hard way about the downside of megatexture, many of which posted here on these very forums.

Megatexture, as I understand it, "bakes in" the art to create a custom super-scale texture for the entire map. By doing so, you lock in the mip level that the engine tells your card it can display same texture in, so things far off may look decent, but things nearby that are a part of that bake, appear, well, like crap. If I remember correctly, John did put in some degree of depth sensitivity, but the algorithms obviously didn't work out for all cards on all machines, hence the "texture popping." I initially ran the game on a 2x8800GTX, which, with 768MB, was probably mid-range (at best); my new card is nearly double that, and things do look better, but not perfect. John chose to balance the engine for future rigs, not the rigs people play with today. Ultimately, judgement as to whether that decision was correct or not rests on him and the staff at id & Zenimax.

Today, though, the truth is, Skyrim does look better on mainstream machines that Rage does. That will change with time, of course, but that's a hard sell to people that were expecting Rage to have eye bleeding visuals when they shelled out $60 for the game, and didn't quite get what they bargained for when they installed it and started playing. The ultimate irony is that the game, in theory, will not only look better on new PCs, but also on the next generation of consoles, provided they keep the unified memory model, and add more RAM into the mix that the compatibility modes can address.

As I said, my only personal disappointment with the game was it's brevity, and the fact that it felt like I only saw one act of a three act play. Gameplay wise, it was great. Mouse control was spot-on and up to id's excellent standards for same. I was a somewhat disappointed in the low degree of interactivity with the environment, and frustrated by the many "invisible walls," the game put up, preventing me from going places I wanted to explore. I was left feeling that while the environment was open, gameplay still felt like it was a bit too much on rails, if you follow my drift.

That said, I can't wait for idTech5 Doom. Everything should be in the sweet spot at that time.

IMO & YMMV.

^D^

PS: I was insanely impressed that the game actually ran on my ion2 NETBOOK. Looked like it was cell-shaded by a 3rd grader, but it ran.

This comment was edited because I still haven't learned to drink my morning cup of coffee before posting.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2012, 15:00.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
104. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 14:23 ^Drag0n^

I agree with you, mostly, Verno, but the bang for the buck, coupled with refresh rates and tearing, were an initial turnoff. I think what killed CRTs was the demand for larger screens overriding early concerns over image quality/refresh rates.

That said, even on modern plat panels, "black ain't BLACK." ;-)

Oh, and that Sony FW-900 was one badass widescreen monitor; I had one at work, and cried when it was replaced by the flat panel. It was a back-breaker and a space hog for sure, but damn, what an image. Dot pitch was ridiculous. Even by today's standards. I don't even know if anyone other than Sony even MADE a widescreen CRT.

^D^

93. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 01:09 ^Drag0n^

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:29:
Also, SkyUI. If people aren't using it then they are letting down humanity.

Well I detest humanity and would love to "let it down", but I also want a better UI. What should I do???

Use SkyUI, and name your character, "Hater Menneskeheten. "

^D^

87. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:29 ^Drag0n^

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:21:
WyldKat wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:18:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 19:10:
Yeah if you are getting pink textures it means a texture is missing.

It is also caused by someone not having enough RAM or VRAM.

I haven't had any problems or slowdowns and the pack looks amazing and beats the so called "HD" packs on Nexus.

That used to happen when the game was running out of RAM before the LAA patch and you weren't using the 4gb loader. The texture doesn't fit in memory, so the object just has a solid color and bump map.

It can also be overheating of the VRMs, Northbridge, or (far less likely) the video card.

I ran into that very problem last week.

^D^

86. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:26 ^Drag0n^

Draugr wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 19:45:

Also, SkyUI. If people aren't using it then they are letting down humanity.

Truth.

^D^

40. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:35 ^Drag0n^

Techie714 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:44:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 14:46:
Suck it consoles. Suck it long, suck it hard.

LOL Nice!

LMAO.

^D^

83. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 7, 2012, 16:00 ^Drag0n^

TurdFergasun wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 04:45:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 20:22:
Probably because the low res textures that showed up in Rage looked like they were EGA resolution, whereas Skyrim's "High res textures" only fell apart on flora.

Unless you have a 3GB card, there is no way Rage looked better than Skyrim on Ultra.

And that's coming from an admitted disciple of the Church of id Software.

i have a 2gig card on an old ass core 2 system, and it ran beautifully. it clearly wasn't well optimized, but people with video cards with less than 1gig of memory aren't really in the demographic for top releases anymore, so why bother crippling the game for people who don't keep up? clearly pc gaming isn't high on your list for you if you have much less than a 1gig vram gpu, so why should the game dev make you a priority over the entire experience of everyone else who does make it a priority? i know some people like to think their geforce 4's or radeon x850's are still relevant pieces of hardware cause they're still faster than whats in the top consoles, but thats old fart logic, and it only applies to industries that don't evolve as fast as the tech sector and all it's derivatives.

And I have a 570 card running on an i7 with 12gigs of RAM, so it's not a "tech" issue. I have more than enough horsepower to run Rage, and it still looks like crap. And that disappoints me somewhat, because I know and get that Carmack was going for the longevity card here, but it comes at the expense of what 99% of gamers are running now. The problem is, Megatexture tech is a bit of a memory whore, and because there are no depth sorting routines that give high-resolution priority to the objects closest to you, more often than not the things in the distance look ok, while those boxes and cans at your feet look like Quake 1 on d_mipcap 0.

John Carmack himself stated that in order to eliminate low resolution textures and texture popping, you need a graphics card that has 3GB of *unified* memory; that's not 2x1.5GB cards in SLI, mind you, but each card MUST have 3GB.

Out of the 314 nVidia Cards available on Newegg, only 4 have this much vRAM, and of those, only 3 use off-the-shelf cooling (the 4th is water cooled). These are ultra high-end 580GTX cards with non-standard vram configs, when compared to nVidia's own reference designs. ATI/AMD do have more options in that arena, but I'm not even sure if they fixed the driver screw-up so many people were struggling with. And for the record, these cards range from $490-$800. So you spend nearly 4x as much for a gaming rig that runs a game almost as nicely as a xBox 360.

That's what people are pissed off about.

I'm not saying that the engine won't look nice. It just doesn't look nearly as good as Skyrim does on your average gaming rig. With today's release of the texture pack, I expect that Skyrim will hold it's own to a decked out Rage-optimized rig as well.

Fundimentally, I get it, and I have no issue with what Carmack was trying to do. But, as a gamer, I do feel a little ripped off by all the hype that said this was going to be their biggest, deepest game yet, and then the story felt like it cut off on Chapter 3 of a 14 chapter novel.

^D^

18. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:16 ^Drag0n^

All that and a six pack of awesomesauce.

Nice work, Beth.

^D^

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2012, 09:41 ^Drag0n^

As a Pats fan all I can say is this: they deserved to lose. When your opponent is down to one tight end and your defense STILL can't contain the offense, you have no business winning is all, no matter how brilliant your QB is.

Congrats, Giants. Well played, and we'll deserved.

^D^

News Comments > Steam Top 10
38. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 7, 2012, 09:00 ^Drag0n^

Skyrim had 10M sell-through on all SKUs, as of mid-December, per Zenimax:

Eurogamer: Zenimax on Skyrim Sales 12/16/2011

Given that was before the final Christmas rush, I wouldn't be surprised to see that figure close to double by now.

(I believe I remember this story being linked on Blue's when it broke...)

^D^

76. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 7, 2012, 01:06 ^Drag0n^

And yet, it's still dominating Steam like Adriana Lima in a leather catsuit...

^D^

73. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 6, 2012, 23:24 ^Drag0n^

Well, on the plus side, ain't nuttin they can do a total re-install won't fix... ;-)

^D^

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 23:22 ^Drag0n^

This coming from an employee of a company that has been making epically bad business decisions to the point of being threatened with de-listing from the stock market? Zero surprise they want to scapegoat the used game industry, and everyone that takes advantage of it.

^D^

70. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 6, 2012, 20:22 ^Drag0n^

TurdFergasun wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 18:48:
hmm i might actually bother playing more than 3 hours of skyrim if they do this right. rage looked far, far better than skyrim, unless you played both on consoles, or rage didn't run properly like it seems to have for some ppl, but getting things to work right is part of pc gaming. get used to it or get on the console short bus.

how the hell can complain about the scattered low res textures in rage, but love the entire low res scenes of skyrim? go play gta 4 with how much shit is going on around you, and in the smallest details, the great textures almost everywhere, and it suffered from consolitis worse than either of these two games. same with rage, the scenery looks alive if you have the settings right, and it all helps the big buzzword "immersion". try to look at skyrim after without feeling like it's devoid of any detail or life, there's just no atmosphere at all. skyrim reminds me of playing a dx7 game coming from other titles like witcher2, rage, gta4. basically anything from the past 3-4 years, and worse, unlike rage, there is absolutely no redeeming style to the art in skyrim there is no distinct style at all, it just looks like generic mmo art from 4 years ago. skyrim has a tonne of things rage did not, and vice versa. rage looks and feels good with immersive characters, who are actually talking to you with their mouths(what an amazing concept), but a short, n shitty climactic sequence, where skyrim is incredibly fugly, millions of poorly drawn un-interesting characters, but chalk full of stuff, a never ending list of stuff, miles and miles and miles of stuff... boring... boring stuff. quality over quantity for me thanks.

Probably because the low res textures that showed up in Rage looked like they were EGA resolution, whereas Skyrim's "High res textures" only fell apart on flora.

Unless you have a 3GB card, there is no way Rage looked better than Skyrim on Ultra.

And that's coming from an admitted disciple of the Church of id Software.

^D^

64. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 6, 2012, 16:45 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:40:
Good luck getting far into the game in a mere week...

It's well worth full price. Waiting for that recent patch was a good move, but IMHO I don't imagine there's enough in the pipeline to keep waiting for. At least not unless you go mod-heavy even on the first run through.

I was holding out for a GOTY or another sale, but the more I see, the harder it is to resist. The fact that it's been patched several times is a definite plus. Also, once of my biggest gripes about the earlier games was the voice cast seemed limited (it sounded like 3 people in a given town, doing all the voices), and according to one of the videos I watched, they greatly expanded the voice cast this time, based on that specific issue. (I know that may seem petty, but it always broke the immersion for me. "Hey! You sound like the same guy from the last 3 towns!")

So yeah...still looking for a sale in the next few weeks, but if not, I'll pick it up the first week in march.

I think I said it earlier; minimalist UI aside, this game is giganenormous and has very deep gameplay. I have over 250 hours into the game, and I'm STILL finding new locations and major quests.

I do reccommend getting SkyUI and Better Sorting mods over at Nexus; they certainly make finding items easier in extended inventory.

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday
68. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 6, 2012, 15:02 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 06:46:
I thought the perk system was clever, though: definitely more thought out than the last two Fallout titles; I liked how each perk had prerequisites.

The perks in New Vegas had prerequisites. I think the perks in Skyrim are fine too. It's just the UI used to view them that's horrible.

I, however, still take exception to your statement that the interface needs to be different between the PC and the 360; if you make it right, between the 4 triggers, d-pad, 2 thumbsticks, and A-B-X-Y, you have more than enough options to implement select/multi-select, page up/down, slider adjustment, and a few left over afterward.

With a mouse and keyboard, you can do things you just can't do with a gamepad. You can select things directly without needing to cycle or scroll. You can also drag and drop. And right-click. A keyboard also has significantly more keys than a gamepad has buttons, allowing for things like hotbars whereas console games rely on radial menus. The best PC UIs are the ones that take advantage of the features that can only be done with M/KB.

With the current state of Skyrim's UI, I agree with you completely.

As for what I'm describing, either I'm doing a horrible job of explaining how a UI can work easily under both modes of control, or we just have a fundamental disagreement over whether that is enough and/or possible, at which point I'd just say we'd have to agree to disagree.

I've seen some great examples of selection wheel UI in Games, CAD systems, and art software that are just amazingly efficient and would work cleanly with mice and game pads with little, if any, advantage/disadvantage to one method of input over the other. Some examples would be Pro/Engineer, Solidworks, and even Microsoft's own Office Tool Ribbon (admittedly, I used to hate it, but now I find it far more efficient than pull-downs, especially if you don't know or don't have a command shortcut).

Where both modes of control fall flat on their face, though, are in instances such as the one that frustrates you the most: the Alchemy segment of Skyrim.

IMO, I attribute that to a failure in game design as much (if not more) than to that of the UI...while it's a great idea, there are just, well, too MANY items in that alchemy database to deal with in a simple "list-based" format. Period. Even with a full assortment of sorting and filtering tools in SkyUI, it still becomes a chore to replenish your inventory with potions at an alchemy table. If I can't be in and out of a UI to select a new weapon, spell, shout, recipes, enchantment, or smithing option in well under 5-10 seconds per operation, I'm not liking the design. And Alchemy is just plain abysmal on all 3 platforms, with or without SkyUI or any of the other mods I've tried.

Anyway, Like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

^D^

(edited for clarity & typo corrections after I having had my mid-morning coffee...)

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2012, 23:31.

42. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 22:52 ^Drag0n^

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 18:32:
elefunk wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 16:54:
Megatexture is an inherently flawed concept from its inception. The benefit you get of 100% unique texturework across the entire world is such a useless benefit with such a dramatically exaggerated cost. Even the most creative world ever doesn't require completely unique textures on every surface, so in the end, what's the point?

It was expensive tech just for the sake of being expensive. Skyrim's world is infinitely more interesting and varied than Rage, and it did so in a puny overall file size.

Megatexture is an overblown technological breakthrough that epitomizes the concept of diminishing returns.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how content is authored and how this technology made strides towards making the creation of a unique and believable environment.

I won't say it's the end-all, be-all of graphics technology...but it is, at worst, an interesting idea brought to fruition. it will, undoubtedly will lead to other advances in content creation and general rendering techniques...inside and outside of id Software.

I totally agree.

While id may have made a PR error by publicly stating that they were shifting focus to consoles, earning them the ire of their hardcore fans, the fact remains that all platforms had the same or similar detail texture problems, a the root of which is the fact that the engine is hampered by the fact that it's designed for far more VRAM than > 90% of the cards sold offer (3GB). I agree--it's probably going to be one of those games that will look amazing when the hardware it requires goes mainstream. And yeah, I do fine the moire pattern of repeated textures distracting... Even in Skyrim.

^D^

Edited to fix the crappy grammar choices made by Android.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2012, 23:40.

62. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 5, 2012, 03:32 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 14:01:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 13:22:
By only allowing you to address your hardware with a 32-bit memory model, you can only address 4GB of ram. that's a huge limitation to the artists alone in terms of texture detail, size, and quality. It also limits how big your loaded portion of the world can be, etc.
Not quite. PAE can allow up to 64 gigs in 32 bit.

Anyway, 64 bit is not a magic silver bullet.

BTW, have you noticed a HUGE difference since the recent patch where beth enabled LAA? That went from 2gb to 4gb max memory usage by skyrim. As I recall, it mostly made a difference for people running memory intensive mods.

My bad, Dev: I was more referring to the 32hbit OS limit, as opposed to PAE. I get that 32bit is needed to support Atom, but what a boat anchor.

I can't really comment on LAA, as I upgraded my video card and cpu at the time 1.3 came out, which probably did far more for performance than the code change did.

^D^

61. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 5, 2012, 03:20 ^Drag0n^

Jerykk wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 19:41:
All the platforms would have benefited from someone devoted to UI design and management; as, if done properly, the UI wouldn't care if you used a mouse or gamepad. teams I've managed and worked with in the past approached it this way, with reasonable degrees of success.

They did have a UI designer and programmer. All games do. However, they decided to design the UI for gamepads and focused on style over efficiency.

You can't design a UI that's optimized for both gamepad and M/KB because the two control schemes are so vastly different. It really is necessary to redesign the UI for PC ports, as Bioware has done with their games. It won't create support/debugging nightmare because even if the UI was exactly the same as the console version, it would still need to receive an equal amount of testing and debugging on the PC.

I'm know we've gone back and forth on this one a bit in a previous thread, but I honestly enjoy the debate. Here's my thoughts:

The UI programmer was a tongue-in-cheek jab. As you pointed out in our previous discussion, the interface on inventory management is, at best, the result of a bare minimum effort. And while I think it was smart of them to not introduce radically different UIs between the ports (a plus for the 360 & PC, as they share a lot of code) , I wholeheartedly agree that the interface it has, well, sucks for inventory management. I thought the perk system was clever, though: definitely more thought out than the last two Fallout titles; I liked how each perk had prerequisites.

I, however, still take exception to your statement that the interface needs to be different between the PC and the 360; if you make it right, between the 4 triggers, d-pad, 2 thumbsticks, and A-B-X-Y, you have more than enough options to implement select/multi-select, page up/down, slider adjustment, and a few left over afterward. The real issue is that a lot of game UI is just plain horrible to begin with. One that was done properly wouldn't care, nor would it be more confusing, on one platform vs another. Case in point: I could totally see SkyUI working with a 360 controller, only difference being that the mouse would be replaced with hilighting, and you'd change categories/columns with the d-pad or one of the thumbsticks, and the various triggers to toggle the different select/unselect/drop/move options.

^D^

43. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 13:22 ^Drag0n^

Quboid wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 13:16:
Kelbor wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 13:05:
What would be the best surprise is that Bethesda would release a 64bit executable along with the Creation Kit so we can make the most out of it. I feel the continuing use of 32bit executable is what is holding the PC platform back.

In what ways is this holding back the PC?

By only allowing you to address your hardware with a 32-bit memory model, you can only address 4GB of ram. that's a huge limitation to the artists alone in terms of texture detail, size, and quality. It also limits how big your loaded portion of the world can be, etc.

64-bit exe? 100% goodness. And relatively no downside, as any PC running this game is native 64-bit anyway.

^D^

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo