Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1242 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
36. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 10, 2012, 19:49 ^Drag0n^

Bhruic wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 16:32:
The tragedy of Skyrim is in its potential. It's a great game as is, but they could have done a lot more with it, especially in the story department.

-> bilnk <- -> blink <-

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM
34. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 10, 2012, 16:20 ^Drag0n^

I guess the, um, "alternate" meaning of the DotA acronym is holding up as well

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
16. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 10, 2012, 16:13 ^Drag0n^

Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:22:
I guess they're just giving this award out to any game nowadays...

No, otherwise it would have gone to CoD.

This game, on the other hand, actually does not suck, and, unlike 90% of the other drivel coming out, has significant and substatial backing for the PC version of the game.

I'll back anyone that doesn't straight port, ship, and forget.

^D^

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Feb 10, 2012, 00:46 ^Drag0n^

Rage at $15? That's less than Quake 3, Doom 3, and Wolfenstein, all of which are $19.99.

^D^

News Comments > Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim
18. Re: Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim Feb 10, 2012, 00:03 ^Drag0n^

Just posting my $1.98 that I agree the sort / search options do need to be better otherwise people will miss a lot of good content. Neither Nexus or Workshop is perfect, but I do hope both improve with time. I do like NMM's updating and rollback features, as well as the fact that it gives you the option to update your mods or not. I like the direct integration of SWS within Steam and the game, but I am a little miffed that Valve, should they deem content inappropriate, can revoke and uninstall a mod without giving you an option to say "oh, no you don't... "

Lack of allowance of mature content is also a put-off, but get it.

^D^

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2012, 14:12 ^Drag0n^

I kid you not, I saw an iPod dock built into a toilet paper roll holder at Fry's once.

Not kidding. Don't believe me? Check out PC Mag's 10 Totally Ridiculous Combo Gadgets article.

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
11. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 13:04 ^Drag0n^

dheer wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 12:02:
Most of those ideas were great. The waystone portals and mounted combat were my favorites. I don't even use a horse anymore because it's a pain to get off to fight and then hop back on.

Agreed. Horses are so useless in the game at this point, I just hunt them like elk for food.

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
10. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 13:02 ^Drag0n^

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 11:19:
Video is region blocked in germany ;/

That's because the german government says you can't handle violence. ...

^D^

News Comments > Ghost Recon Online Beta Next Month; GRO & Future Soldier Trailers
1. Re: Ghost Recon Online Beta Next Month; GRO & Future Soldier Trailers Feb 9, 2012, 12:57 ^Drag0n^

Should come with a label on the front of the package:

"WARNING: Single Player Campaign may not work unless your are connected to the internet and our authentication servers are actually working."

^D^

News Comments > Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim
8. Re: Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim Feb 9, 2012, 01:54 ^Drag0n^

Sepharo wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 22:39:
Bhruic wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 22:30:
Hmm, the description made it sound like you could get it as a companion or something, but the video makes it look like all it is is an inventory item. A rather useless inventory item as well. So I hope there's a little more to it than that.

Well it talks... and you can make it into a HAT!

edit: I guess the swearing punching Swede has a video too.

Well, I guess Valve got the "who can make the stupidest mod, " out of the way for us...

^D^

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 9, 2012, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

Tip: ALL of your cheap goods come from low paid, and, likely, exploited labor. So what is better? Not buying it and denying these people a job to support their families?

This is veiled politics, plain simple...an easy way to throw criticism at China in a way that makes you look like an asshole if you protest against it.

^D^

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2012, 00:14 ^Drag0n^

RIAA needs to STFU. They spend more money than god trying to buy votes through lobbyists. Tip: the government is of the people, by the people, and for the people... Not the effing RIAA.

^D^

News Comments > Steam for Mobile Released
16. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 9, 2012, 00:05 ^Drag0n^

Loving Steam Mobile... have it running on my iphone and Xoom, and both work great. Made my first purchase on it earlier (Oblivion)

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
117. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 23:58 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 23:38:
Holy shit. Did he get one made out of fucking concrete? My 46" plasma weighs like 40 odd pounds?

Creston

Maybe the engineers misunderstood what they meant by adding a ballast?

;-)

^D^

112. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 18:23 ^Drag0n^

Thanks guys. I was unaware that the burn-in potential was no longer an issue, and that was the only thing steering me away, in all honesty.

^D^

109. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 15:52 ^Drag0n^

Plasmas still running cheaper, in general?  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2012, 15:27 ^Drag0n^

Blue wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 11:12:
nin wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 11:05:
We have crews replacing the main gas line in our neighborhood. They're slowly making their way towards the house, and I'm worried what they'll be digging up, as there's flags/marker's everywhere.

If they dig up a Native American burial ground, remember... Don't go into the light! No wait, go into the light, yeah, that was it.

Nonononono!

Just make sure you're not in the house when it implodes into the singularity generated by the netherworld.

That's the important thing. Yeah. That, and don't eat that left-over steak.

^D^

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2012, 15:22 ^Drag0n^

space captain wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 14:29:
Ratty wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 13:32:
Why do I feel oddly embarrassed when someone else's cell phone rings and I pull my own out of my pocket to check?

lets find out..

Ratty wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 13:32:
I feel a little like an idiot.

magic!

LMAO! Classic space captain.

^D^

106. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 15:16 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 14:33:
Hey agreed bro, that's one of the reasons my big ass TV is a plasma I had a FW900 for a looong time but it finally started going yellow and kicked the bucket 3-4 years ago. Once I got over the initial shock I found IPS LCDs to be a worthy replacement in most considerations.

Agreed.

On the TV side, I'm torn...did you notice recently that you can get a 60" Sharp Aquos Quattro for under a grand now at Worst Best Buy?

Daaaayum.

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
85. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 8, 2012, 14:44 ^Drag0n^

TurdFergasun wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 08:31:
sure the requirements are a bit steep, but so are the requirements for metro2033 which is a much nicer looking game, so is whitcher2. try to run it w/uber-sampling, or metro with proper AA so they look their best, and try to find a card that can play it at hi resolution at vsync frames, there's still no single card out there that can play it with solid vsync and proper anti aliasing.

two expensive($5-600) video cards that just came out though with 3gb of vram which will soon be the status quo, and just like when doom3 was around and the ati 9800xt came along that could actually play it with solid frames, there was a new yardstick, from the same game, and video card company too. doom3 looked tits out of the box back then, still looks alright today, but sure was a shitty game after the first hour or so. i'm seeing a pattern here. i admit rage as it is, isn't pretty in spots, but as a world to exist in for a time, it's a very compelling place visually, taken in as a whole. sort of steampunk dr seuss to my eyes, and very rich scenes, but just like doom3 rage blew it's wad early and the gameplay became work just to forward the story.

if id ever bother to do the same thing as bethesda with their supposed massive texture pack i'd probably go back for another run, much like how i'll probably risk another arrow to the knee in skyrim, but from the comparison shots, and the peasely 3gb texture pack size i'm not expecting much. perhaps when the new nvidia offerings come out in the next month or two id might find the effort worthwhile.

I have no disagreement with any of your points. In fact, if you look back on my previous posts, you'll see that I've even defended JohnC's decisions on the tech in Rage, as I know full well that 1-2 years from now the hardware needed to run it at full resolution will be the norm.

All that said, whether I agree and support John's technical decisions is moot, the fact remains that they burned up a lot of goodwill with the PC gaming community, as people with very powerful rigs were learning the hard way about the downside of megatexture, many of which posted here on these very forums.

Megatexture, as I understand it, "bakes in" the art to create a custom super-scale texture for the entire map. By doing so, you lock in the mip level that the engine tells your card it can display same texture in, so things far off may look decent, but things nearby that are a part of that bake, appear, well, like crap. If I remember correctly, John did put in some degree of depth sensitivity, but the algorithms obviously didn't work out for all cards on all machines, hence the "texture popping." I initially ran the game on a 2x8800GTX, which, with 768MB, was probably mid-range (at best); my new card is nearly double that, and things do look better, but not perfect. John chose to balance the engine for future rigs, not the rigs people play with today. Ultimately, judgement as to whether that decision was correct or not rests on him and the staff at id & Zenimax.

Today, though, the truth is, Skyrim does look better on mainstream machines that Rage does. That will change with time, of course, but that's a hard sell to people that were expecting Rage to have eye bleeding visuals when they shelled out $60 for the game, and didn't quite get what they bargained for when they installed it and started playing. The ultimate irony is that the game, in theory, will not only look better on new PCs, but also on the next generation of consoles, provided they keep the unified memory model, and add more RAM into the mix that the compatibility modes can address.

As I said, my only personal disappointment with the game was it's brevity, and the fact that it felt like I only saw one act of a three act play. Gameplay wise, it was great. Mouse control was spot-on and up to id's excellent standards for same. I was a somewhat disappointed in the low degree of interactivity with the environment, and frustrated by the many "invisible walls," the game put up, preventing me from going places I wanted to explore. I was left feeling that while the environment was open, gameplay still felt like it was a bit too much on rails, if you follow my drift.

That said, I can't wait for idTech5 Doom. Everything should be in the sweet spot at that time.

IMO & YMMV.

^D^

PS: I was insanely impressed that the game actually ran on my ion2 NETBOOK. Looked like it was cell-shaded by a 3rd grader, but it ran.

This comment was edited because I still haven't learned to drink my morning cup of coffee before posting.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2012, 15:00.

1242 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo