Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1243 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > 2012 BAFTA Nominees
5. Re: 2012 BAFTA Nominees Feb 16, 2012, 13:41 ^Drag0n^

Despite its abysmal launch issues on the PC, I'm somewhat surprised that RAGE isn't on the artistic achievement list. When it's on a rig that can actually max out settings (3Gb VRAM hanging off each GPU), it looks better than anything else out there.

True, it's on less than 1% of the installed PC base, but it is out there...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 13:30 ^Drag0n^

Kinda getting sick of hearing outrage over labor conditions at Foxconn from people writing on MacBook Pros, or are on the waiting list to buy an iPad 3.

Cost of labor there IS ACTUALLY LOWER, people. One of the reasons manufacturers make products there rather than in Ohio.

On top of all that, this issue is just veiled geopolitical posturing, and it's getting old, tired, and lame...just like the Cuba travel ban.

^D^

News Comments > New Skyrim Creation Kit
13. Re: New Skyrim Creation Kit Feb 14, 2012, 19:05 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 10:11:
I'm loving the steam integration! Really cool! Torchlight 2 better use it!

Oh man, I can't wait for TL2...it was like rolling with classic Diablo all over again.

^D^

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
48. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 14, 2012, 00:33 ^Drag0n^

I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree... Many of the books have pertinent information about many puzzles in the game (i. e. Pillar puzzle solutions hidden in texts, information on locations that you might find otherwise, but with difficulty).

I also take exception to the lack of branching comment: for instance, if you are allied with the Blades, you will have make a tough decision about the resident at The Throat of the World. Should you join the Dark Brotherhood, you risk alliances you have throughout Skyrim when you execute contracts.

Everyone talks about how great Deus Ex was, but consider: at the end of that game every decision you made didn't matter at all. All that mattered was which of the four buttons you pressed. Not who or how many people you killed or didn't kill. Just what button you pressed.

Honestly? THAT was a letdown.

^D^

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
47. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 14, 2012, 00:13 ^Drag0n^

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 11:30:
InBlack wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 09:39:
I cant believe that no one even mentioned DS9. That series was vastly superior to TOS and TNG. At least in my opinion. It was a bit darker in theme and had more action scenes than you can shake a stick at, but it still featured some incredible episodes, the best characterization of any ST series and pretty much all the good sci-fi stuff any trek fan would want.

IMO the best Trek movie has to be ST6: The Undiscovered Country. It had diplomacy, combat, prison escapes, a suspense mystery and some very memorable acting from all concerned.

Wrath of Khan is overrated...

It was mentioned in the post right before yours, and a few others as well.

Aside from Sulu finally being seen as a Captain, I found that film forgettable. Saavik was supposed to be the traitor in the original script, and they either lacked the cajones to follow trough, or couldn't see having a THIRD actress play that role. Either way, that blew a major element that would have made me respect the film and producers far more than I ultimately did.

Again, IMO.

^D^

News Comments > Steam Downtime [Updated]
5. Re: Steam Downtime Feb 12, 2012, 17:46 ^Drag0n^

Frakking APC ups's... Aren't worth the powder to blow them to Hell...

^D^

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up
64. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up Feb 12, 2012, 16:10 ^Drag0n^

I LOL'd. Again.

^D^

42. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 12, 2012, 16:08 ^Drag0n^

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 12:35:
If you want examples of what real ST is supposed to be that highlights quality writing and acting watch TNG's The Drumhead and Where Silence Has Lease. No one is saying that there isn't or shouldn't be action in ST just that it's the least part of it. The morality tales, the science, the exploration, those are the important bits and what differentiate from all the rest of the fictional schlock out there.

And TNG was the last good series. All the others had their moments here and there but nothing close to the consistency of TOS and TNG. I can't imagine a new series would even be remotely close to either.

You forgot, "The Inner Light. "

Hands down one of the best episodes of Trek, IMO.

^D^

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up
62. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Follow-up Feb 12, 2012, 11:51 ^Drag0n^

Sepharo wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 00:50:
You're suggesting that this guy has subtle hacks that work like this:
Rarely take damage in frontal one on one gunfights, somehow play faster than the reality of networking allows, selectively allow self to be killed if damage comes from behind, keep a normal score to avoid suspicion (what?).

I Rotflmao'd.

^D^

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM
60. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 12, 2012, 11:41 ^Drag0n^

As I said two posts ago, if DOTA was created by a Valve employee, that will, also, have a significant effect on the outcome, as:

A) most companies have ip riders in their terms of employment laying claim to any invention created within the realm of their businesses sphere of influence for the duration of your employment. This includes "off the clock" ip. Or,

B) his having been an employee at valve, even if it was after release of the first DOTA mod, could be construed as a de facto transfer or license to use, as he obviously didn't object to Valve not only making the game, but through the title implying it was a sanctioned sequel.

^D^

35. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 12, 2012, 11:29 ^Drag0n^

Ant wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 09:26:
nin wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:35:

I rmemeber how much fun I had with the Star Trek Elite Force game.

I keep hoping that one will show up on GOG.

What about its sequel game? Was it any good? I never played it. I only played the first one.

It was OK... IMO it was not as good as the first... Raven had higher standards than Ritual, again, IMO.

^D^

44. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 12, 2012, 03:10 ^Drag0n^

Bhruic wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 18:44:
You're not going to get the full depth of the story unless you actually read the books, notes, and talk to characters. Running through the question for XP is like complaining about how little there was in NYC based solely on what you saw from the freeway.

You're confusing background with plot. Skyrim has a good background - it should, considering they've been building it for 5 games - but that doesn't mean it has good storylines for the plots. Even the very best plots have quite weak storylines.

I've got 240+ hour into it, and I'm STILL finding new locations, main quests, and unique story elements.

Quantity doesn't equal quality.

No, I'm not confusing them at all. If you read through a book in the game, and it provides information on a quest or plot thereof, it's a part of the story, not "background. "

Dislike it if you want, but don't say it doesn't have plot or deep storytelling. It does. You just don't happen to agree with the presentation.

And when I find something new in a game after 240+ hours of play that makes me want to find out what happens, that's not content bloat--that's value.

Again, your opinion on the presentation may vary, but that doesn't mean the content and story aren't there.

^D^

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2012, 03:19.

30. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 12, 2012, 03:00 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 00:17:
Golwar wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 18:58:
All that I really want is a new tv series. I don't care if it would be settled in the new time line or not. Pretty much anything would please me by now. I'd even watch Captain Archer and his "adventures". Promised!

Don't quote me on this, but there is apparently work being done on a series set after Voyager. Paramount realized that Trek was still a very valuable commodity after the first reboot movie, but since most of the reboot characters are too busy to sign up for a TV show, they're trying to see if they can continue the "old" universe so to speak.

Creston

I heard a rumor that they are working on a possible new show based in the alternate timeline...

^D^

29. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 12, 2012, 02:58 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 00:22:
Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:39:
Snabel wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:30:
Me and everyone else respectfully disagrees with you. I loved the movie and the direction it's going in :)

If by "everyone else" you mean you and a few other faux Trek fans then you're correct. I enjoyed it as a good sci-fi space romp - and Karl Urban as Bones was perfect for the role - but I don't see it as real Star Trek. It's JJ's alternate-universe-dumbed-down-for-the-masses-over-the-top-action standard schlock. Mr. Roddenberry wouldn't have been too pleased with it. Star Trek, first and foremost, is about peaceful exploration, science, diplomacy, and all that other good stuff the masses find boring. The action aspect of it was the minor part of it and should always be that way. This is where STO fell down, and it's where this game is going to fall down - but it'll do well with those masses no doubt. No, this game and what JJ are doing is Derp Trek.

Yeah, I think you'll find that most "faux" Trek fans actually did quite enjoy the movie. As for Star Trek being about peaceful exploration, science, diplomacy and all that other good stuff, yep. In the TV shows, that concept works for entire episodes. In movies, however, that just doesn't fly. The best "old" Star Trek movies were widely considered to be the ones where there's some good ole' fightin' going on.

Few Trekkies I ever talked to said that the first Star Trek movie was their favorite. (Or ST 5 : The Final Frontier, for that matter...)

Creston

I just wanted to say I loved all the diplomacy and exploration in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Thank god for diplomacy.

I love it when someone comes out with the audacious claim that they are a "true" fan, and those having different tastes are fut bucking idiots.

(not talking about you, Creston, just feeding off your post.)

^D^

57. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 12, 2012, 02:46 ^Drag0n^

The KillSmith wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:27:
nin wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:16:
Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

I think you kinda missed my point. No one can trademark something that has "prior art" in the public domain, or published under another creator's name. I wasn't saying that Blizzard had any claim to the title-- quite the contrary-- I fully expect that a judge, when presented with the evidence, will deem the title the property of NEITHER party involved.

^D^

46. Re: Blizzard Sues Over DOTA TM Feb 11, 2012, 11:55 ^Drag0n^

If Valve, indeed, filed for a copyright on DOTA, and it was in the public domain already, Blizzard has every right to sue the living snot out of Gabe et. Al. In fact, it should have been denied on filing, all things being equal.

Unless the DOTA mod author is working for valve, or money was exchanged with them, this was a monumentally stupid move by Valve (assuming its true).

^D^

41. Re: Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year Feb 11, 2012, 11:40 ^Drag0n^

Bhruic wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 01:17:
Huh. I wonder if he'll feel that way after we see all the DLC-support that this game will receive over the next year.

Most likely. I am surprised however, I've yet to see anyone claim that the storylines in Skyrim are good - are you the first?

There's no doubt the game shines in other areas (I did call it a "great game" after all), but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any deficiencies, and the storylines are some of the more glaring ones.

I'm pretty sure I just did.

This game is pretty deep--especially considering that it's a dungeon crawler. And that a good quantity of the menial quests are randomly generated.

You're not going to get the full depth of the story unless you actually read the books, notes, and talk to characters. Running through the quests solely for XP is like complaining about how little there was in NYC based solely on what you saw from the freeway.

I've got 240+ hour into it, and I'm STILL finding new locations, main quests, and unique story elements.

YMMV.

^D^

(edited to fix typos).

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2012, 03:17.

News Comments > U.S. Retail Video Game Sales Down 34% in January
23. Re: U.S. Retail Video Game Sales Down 34% in January Feb 10, 2012, 22:33 ^Drag0n^

PREY 2 looks delicious.

Just saying.

#random

^D^

News Comments > Syndicate Voice Talent Revealed
3. Re: Syndicate Voice Talent Revealed Feb 10, 2012, 22:28 ^Drag0n^

No Steam, no sale.

^D^

News Comments > Steam Breach Follow-up
11. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 10, 2012, 22:23 ^Drag0n^

Slashman wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:49:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:39:
They've been too quiet about this, and hiding these messages on their forum, where most users never go, isn't the way this should be handled.

This should be emailed to everyone on their list, not left up to gaming sites to report on it.

At this point, Sony is looking more forthcoming on information. At least when they screwed up they offered people a free game.

This message popped up when I signed into Steam earlier this evening. So its not just hiding on their forums.

Exactly. If you don't know about the Steam breach, what was done, and what you should be concerned about, you either don't use Steam, or just plain never read their mandatory pop-ups.

Onus isn't on them to force you to read anything. That's all you.

^D^

1243 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo