Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1246 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
123. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 5, 2012, 08:41 ^Drag0n^

MSSE. Free for life. Auto-updates. No annual renewal hassles. Low CPU overhead. No brainier.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 21:53 ^Drag0n^

Ralph McQuarrie was an amazing artist. I remember in junior high saving $85 for these crazy expensive ILM art books just to be able to have the privilege of looking at his concept art and matte paintings whenever I wanted. I still have them today.

I was always far more interested in the mechanics of how they made the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films over the movies themselves. Ironically, my wife and I visited Treasure Island in the SF Bay today just to look over the building that was used as the setting for the Nazi nighttime book-burning scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Rest in peace, Ralph. You were an amazing artist, and you will be missed.

^D^

118. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 21:44 ^Drag0n^

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 11:45:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 01:18:
Are you crazy? Where did that make any sense? Are people going to start playing PC games on the couch with keyboard and mouse? Yeah? Really?

I do it right now.

I do as well. Shuttle PC with a decent ATI card cost me under $450 to put together. Plays Skyrim on Ultra at 1080p quite handily. Lapdesks are a godsend.

I also use the FragFX Mouse/Nunchuck on my 360, as the thumbsticks just suck for FPS.

^D^

114. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 20:24 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 19:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 18:57:
Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 18:34:
Huh, would you look at that. We are only up to $495 for all the core components. And those are the prices I as an end buyer can achieve, presumably valve could get them for less in quantity.

Interesting. So we don't need a case and a power supply? Oops.
Interesting. I said "core components" in that bit you quoted. Oops.

Those parts are something I spent just a few minutes researching the prices to demonstrate that a powerful gaming computer can be built for far less than most people assume. Its definitely not the perfect machine with a perfect mix of cost/performance/reliability/quietness.

As for the xbox RROD, their poor power supply was only one small part of the problems that caused the early RRODs. They also had things like bad solder jobs (the non leaded solder bugs were still being worked out as I recall). Incidentally, this is why some people could overheat the xbox (wrapping a towel around it) and get some RROD boxes working again. I think they had as high as a 66% failure rate on the first run of xboxes.
Amusingly enough, MS has power supply problems that led to mass replacement on BOTH the xbox 1 and xbox 360.
Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 19:05:
A small PC is still a PC and as such, requires an OS, drivers and occasional maintenance. It also requires knowledge and understanding of hardware.
My guess is steam would make some sorta rethemed overlay to whatever OS they used. Kinda like those HTPC things that make everything simpler and cover up things that aren't needed to play media.
Steam already has a driver checker that can do updates, they can use expand that. Updates can generally be configured to be done silently and automatically. Other maintenance type things can be configured to be automatic too such as a background defrag. Lots of people own and use PC's with ZERO knowledge and understanding of hardware, and valve can make a lot of stuff happen automatically under the hood.

Dev is correct.

Not that I consider them an authority or anything, but Maximum PC built a competant gaming rig for under $500 2-3 issues back.

Also, a system builder NEVER pays retail; discounts are darn near to cost in many cases for components, given the competitiveness of the market.

^D^

63. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 20:18 ^Drag0n^

I actually think this is brilliant, in a way: for practically ZERO investment, you can drop a huge library of *PC* games on the TV.

For what an xBox costs right now, you could have a more than compitent mid-grade PC hooked up to a TV.

Honestly? Done right, this could be the second salvo in the battle to keep the PC relevant.

Not a bad thing at all.

^D^

56. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:30 ^Drag0n^

Krovven wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:52:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:41:
So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?

Maybe you should look at Dev's post history before flapping your yap.

No kidding. Blue may need to start passing out rolls of TP, so some of these guys can wipe the brown stuff off their mouths.

Kinda sad.

^D^

54. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:14 ^Drag0n^

Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 19:12:
eunichron wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 16:43:

So tell me, how does Gabe's cock taste? How are you able to find it under all those rolls of fat?

This is why I hate anonymity on the internet. If running your mouth so obnoxiously ran the risk of getting your teeth mashed in, people wouldn't be such goddammed douches all the time.

Amen, brother.

^D^

News Comments > id on DOOM 4 Images
89. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 3, 2012, 18:22 ^Drag0n^

Sepharo wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 14:10:
Prez wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 10:18:
Quake Wars is a fucking awesome multiplayer game, and it's a pity that it's been dying off. It's just so freaking deep and atmospheric and generally amazing.

I'm glad to find I'm not the only one who thought Quake Wars was great. It was one of the few MP games I played in multiplayer (not exclusively against bots as is usually the case for me) because it gave objectives for each class that had nothing to do with killing foul-mouthed, bunny-hopping 13 year-olds who could kill me without even trying.

I really liked Quake Wars as well but didn't end up getting it because I had my fill during the open beta (even though it was only one map). One of the few times I can ever remember that a beta influenced me not to buy a game not because it was bad but because I had had enough fun and moved on.

I just love how Splash Damage took everything they did in Wolf:ET, added just the right ingredients, and made it awesome.

I had my fill of straight DM in Quakeworld. QW:ET was just what the doc ordered.

Too bad Brink kinda blew; I had high expectations.

^D^

84. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 3, 2012, 09:50 ^Drag0n^

shihonage wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 05:46:
Quake 4 was a good single-player game. Much better than Doom3.

Raven. Now that they are Activision, and id is Bethesda, I wonder what is going to happen to their games on a technical level. Many of their (successful) games were based on idTech. I did notice that they were one of the plythora of hands on the patient for CoD:MW3. Makes sense, as that engine roots back to idtech3 or something (but is so derivative that, like valve, it is no longer considered an id engine).

Quake Wars is a fucking awesome multiplayer game, and it's a pity that it's been dying off. It's just so freaking deep and atmospheric and generally amazing.

Agreed. Splash Damage nailed objective-based multiplayer. This was the commercialized version of game play from the free Wolfenstein: Enemy Terretory MP game, and pretty much everyone loved that one too. I think they are in the Bethesda fold (they made Brink), so we may well see them using idTech5 in the future.

Prey was a pretty ok game too.

I thought the idea was great, but it later seemed like the aborted child of Duke Nukem and Doom in terms of atmosphere after the abduction. That and the plot was a little too predictable.

Prey 2 Looks awesome, though. Looks very Blade Runner with some cool parkour running thrown in (I enjoyed Mirror's Edge). It uses an updated IdTech4 engine, and again, the dev is under Bethesda now, so they'll have access to idTech5, assuming that's what id & Bethesda want to do.

None of those _games_ were actually made by id software.

Q3TA was the last id game I really loved. Doom3 needed a Tac-Lite, as switching between the gun and a lightsource just sucked. Cops hold a handheld light under their pistols in similar situations; it was annoying that you could not.

My biggest disappointment with Rage has nothing to do with graphics or the engine, but everything to do with the game mechanic and map design: I HATE invisible walls. HATE them. Nothing takes immersion away faster. If i wander off, kill me, make me fall to my death, let me get overwhelmed by a pack of wild animals, but don't get so lazy in your map design that you put invisible ropes everywhere to keep me on track. That made it feel VERY Call of Duty, and not "open end world" as was advertised.

That and the abrupt ending. It felt like the game ended at chapter 3 of a 14 chapter book.

^D^

74. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 21:14 ^Drag0n^

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 20:28:
Because they don't compare well to modern games and Doom 4 won't be released for at least another couple of years, perhaps longer. If they look bad now then they're not going to cut mustard in 2014-15.

Are we even looking at the same screenshots?

The ones I'm looking at look pretty decent, IMO.

^D^

72. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 20:26 ^Drag0n^

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 18:11:
I'm inclined to agree. Doesn't id still make engines for Open GL? While the entire rest of the industry switched to DirectX a decade or so ago?

As I recall, John posted about 2 years ago that RAGE would be the last OpenGL title, and further development was going to be centered on DirectX.

That said, I think your assessment is WAY OFF.

The primary reason for Carmack's use, endorsement, backing of, and sitting on the OGL Standards committee was to make porting the rendering of engines easier across different platforms. Sure, DX11 is nice, but the PS3 and Wii don't support it, so using an Open Source standard makes sense if you want to cross platforms in those markets.

Best example of what goes wrong when you tune for DirectX, and "port" to other platforms? The PS3 version of Skyrim.

Poor sods are way worse off than any PC player out there.

^D^

71. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 20:19 ^Drag0n^

Kastagir wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 17:33:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 16:55:
Dear id,

Nobody cares. Please go out of business.

-Your adoring fans

If Doom4 is being developed on console hardware, then I fully endorse this sentiment.

I don't endorse any opinion until I've played a demo at E3.

^D^

56. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 15:56 ^Drag0n^

I like the environments that are in the shots.

As for the game? I'll reserve judgement for the day I can actually play it before endorsing or condemning it.

^D^

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 1, 2012, 00:37 ^Drag0n^

So sad. Stories today said that his last checkup left his doctor telling him he had the heart of a 17 year old. You never know when your time is up. Loved the music...watched the show away too much when I was a kid.

^D^

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Why Mercedes Benz Picked Apple's Siri to Power 'Drive Kit Plus' Feb 28, 2012, 10:20 ^Drag0n^

I'll take "money,' for $1000, Alex.

^D^

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Preorder Bonus: Assassinate Hitler
1. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Preorder Bonus: Assassinate Hitler Feb 28, 2012, 10:19 ^Drag0n^

I'd buy that for $1.

^D^

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
5. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 10:18 ^Drag0n^

"We are checking through your disk's software inventory for your own good."

ORLY

^D^

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 26, 2012, 10:51 ^Drag0n^

Wow.

You'd have to be a complete idiot not to pick up Deus Ex Human Revolution and DX: The Missing Link on Steam, if you don't have them already.

$10.19 and $5.09, respectively.

^D^

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 23, 2012, 10:35 ^Drag0n^

wtf_man wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 10:32:
ibm wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 09:56:
I've never stayed long enough to bother registering.

Doctors have pills for that sort of thing, nowadays.

(Sorry, couldn't resist that little jab! )

Hahaha! niiiice.

^D^

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games
106. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 21, 2012, 22:12 ^Drag0n^

avianflu wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 15:33:
Well, we'll know in 2 years of less. Steam _will_ have suits after the sale. And Gabe will be in bermuda, having retired after the sale in which he will profit immensely for selling.

My half-serious hunch is that MS will buy Steam as part of their attempt to fully occupy our living rooms with a "unified digital media box." And yea MS has the cash for it.

Actually any number of hedgefunds have the cash to buy Steam right now, strip it of its assets over a few years, and sell it as a skeleton -- standard practice. But that's another topic!

What suits? WTH are you talking about? Valve and Steam aren't on the market.

Gabe would sell his left nut before shedding the most successful studio in private ownership. They are able to do what they do because Valve is a private company with no shareholders or board of directors.

All this talk is just rubbish.

^D^

1246 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo