Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick

Real Name Rick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ^Drag0n^
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.tacticalgamerz.com
Signed On Jul 9, 2009, 18:02
Total Comments 1242 (Pro)
User ID 55075

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends
6. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis Ends May 29, 2012, 22:50 ^Drag0n^

I believe that they disabled the "in-game content purchasing option" that the original (patched) release had. It cut the steam store out of purchases, which Valve didn't like, if memory serves.

IMO, I thought it was kind of silly to begin with (on both sides), but whatever.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision & Electronic Arts Settle Modern Warfare War
9. Re: Activision & Electronic Arts Settle Modern Warfare War May 17, 2012, 10:07 ^Drag0n^

Ozmodan wrote on May 17, 2012, 09:19:
Kotick is an idiot, anyone working for him in any capacity is just flat stupid. Of course then you have the all the idiots at EA, I don't know which is worse.

And to think far too much of the gaming universe revolves around these two companies is a definite downer.

NBC.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer
36. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 18:55 ^Drag0n^

NKD wrote on May 5, 2012, 01:09:
^Drag0n^ wrote on May 5, 2012, 00:33:
I love how everyone is shitting all over this game before they even see a screenshot of descent quality and gameplay.

What's a screenshot or a video of some guy swinging a sword going to tell me that an article with actual facts does not? We already know, without resorting to any speculation at all, that this game has almost nothing in common with the TES series gameplay-wise.

We aren't pulling our disappointment out of our ass this time, though admittedly that goes on a lot around here so I can't blame you for assuming that.

No, I'm pretty sure it's being pulled out of asses.

It's your prerogative, though. I'd rather see how the game plays and at least get a description of the game as designed before crapping on a dev team's work.

But that's just me.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
21. Re: No DVD/BluRay by default? May 5, 2012, 14:05 ^Drag0n^

SpectralMeat wrote on May 5, 2012, 07:30:
Not sure what's the point of removing the optical drive support. I am not using mine every day but I still use it every now and then to make a new music CD for my car, or install the odd old game I have on a disc, or make a copy of a DVD I got for the kids so they do not scratch the original disc.

Then again I wasn't going to downgrade to Win8 anyways, my Win7 is perfectly fine and serves me right so it is all good.

They are not dropping support of the optical drives, just the support of them playing DVD and BluRay MOVIES.

Seems kinda like an ass move, but, whatever.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 5, 2012, 00:41 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on May 4, 2012, 23:52:
This should reduce the cost of a Windows license

I haven't had an optical drive in any of my PCs for years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to more of you. Just ask yourself: when was the last time you really used your optical drive?

Let's face it - it's never been a particularly good storage medium, in terms of capacity, reliability, and speed.

No kidding.

God, I use my PC for everything.

DVD as a medium is far from dead. Bluray? not even close. Purely a money-grab by MS to make you pay for a feature they used to give away.

Goddamn that fucker is high on the kool aide.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer
6. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 00:33 ^Drag0n^

I love how everyone is shitting all over this game before they even see a screenshot of descent quality and gameplay.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II Announcement
12. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Announcement May 2, 2012, 23:08 ^Drag0n^

nin wrote on May 2, 2012, 21:06:
I'm still hoping Kenny Powers is the character you play.

I hear they could only afford Kenny Rogers.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed
40. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed May 2, 2012, 01:12 ^Drag0n^

Quboid wrote on May 1, 2012, 20:08:
EDIT: As is so often the case, Chris Rock said it much better than I ever could:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0B_ekSrsEk

That is awesome. +1.

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed May 2, 2012, 01:10 ^Drag0n^

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 1, 2012, 20:46:
looks at thread...bla bla bla
Ok, so I am a Redguard character....what is Dawnguard? hmmmm....

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Daedric Meridia, as she gave you a glowing Daedric Artifact called the "Dawnbreaker" upon completion of the quest "The Break of Dawn."

38. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Revealed May 2, 2012, 01:05 ^Drag0n^

They're probably going to kit it out for Windows at the same time. I think MS paid for console exclusivity. I could be wrong, though.

Yet another reason not to have a PS3.

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
39. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 01:03 ^Drag0n^

Diablo III...meh.

Torchlight2 FTW.

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
9. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 10:27 ^Drag0n^

Translation: "Shut up and give us your money."

Or something along those lines ;-)

^D^

PS: Happy foul mood day!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 23:58 ^Drag0n^

Tumbler wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 21:33:
*Bioware* FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Stop giving away free content!!!!

LMAO!

Yeah, EA'd charge you $12.99...for each feature.

^D^

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
30. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 19:58 ^Drag0n^

The Pyro wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:47:
Rhino wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:13:
As an archer I'm slightly curious to see just how many ways that there are to show "arrow slamming into a guy" in a cinematic fashion.

Our hero stoops in the cover of dense foliage and draws his bowstring taught. A dark hood shields his eyes from the high noon sun, casting his face in shadow as he lines up the shot.

With a gentle and almost casual precision, the string is released and the arrow springs from the bow.

We see now from the arrow's perspective as it races toward its mark. Only the target is in focus; all else is a blur. Caught completely unaware, the victim stands almost motionless until the arrow connects with his flesh. Then the pain hits him.

"GAAAHHH! MY KNEE! WHY IS IT ALWAYS IN THE KNEE!"

Hahahahah! Nice. +1.

^D^

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 16, 2012, 02:12 ^Drag0n^

What? You don't bring flares to Hockey games? That's just un-American!  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
139. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 14, 2012, 23:56 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 09:06:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 08:41:
MSSE. Free for life. Auto-updates. No annual renewal hassles. Low CPU overhead. No brainier.

^D^
I don't think its free if you have more than 10 PC's

I doubt anyone will have more than 10 Steamboxes, though

^D^

123. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 5, 2012, 08:41 ^Drag0n^

MSSE. Free for life. Auto-updates. No annual renewal hassles. Low CPU overhead. No brainier.

^D^

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2012, 21:53 ^Drag0n^

Ralph McQuarrie was an amazing artist. I remember in junior high saving $85 for these crazy expensive ILM art books just to be able to have the privilege of looking at his concept art and matte paintings whenever I wanted. I still have them today.

I was always far more interested in the mechanics of how they made the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films over the movies themselves. Ironically, my wife and I visited Treasure Island in the SF Bay today just to look over the building that was used as the setting for the Nazi nighttime book-burning scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Rest in peace, Ralph. You were an amazing artist, and you will be missed.

^D^

118. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 21:44 ^Drag0n^

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 11:45:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 01:18:
Are you crazy? Where did that make any sense? Are people going to start playing PC games on the couch with keyboard and mouse? Yeah? Really?

I do it right now.

I do as well. Shuttle PC with a decent ATI card cost me under $450 to put together. Plays Skyrim on Ultra at 1080p quite handily. Lapdesks are a godsend.

I also use the FragFX Mouse/Nunchuck on my 360, as the thumbsticks just suck for FPS.

^D^

114. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 20:24 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 19:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 18:57:
Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 18:34:
Huh, would you look at that. We are only up to $495 for all the core components. And those are the prices I as an end buyer can achieve, presumably valve could get them for less in quantity.

Interesting. So we don't need a case and a power supply? Oops.
Interesting. I said "core components" in that bit you quoted. Oops.

Those parts are something I spent just a few minutes researching the prices to demonstrate that a powerful gaming computer can be built for far less than most people assume. Its definitely not the perfect machine with a perfect mix of cost/performance/reliability/quietness.

As for the xbox RROD, their poor power supply was only one small part of the problems that caused the early RRODs. They also had things like bad solder jobs (the non leaded solder bugs were still being worked out as I recall). Incidentally, this is why some people could overheat the xbox (wrapping a towel around it) and get some RROD boxes working again. I think they had as high as a 66% failure rate on the first run of xboxes.
Amusingly enough, MS has power supply problems that led to mass replacement on BOTH the xbox 1 and xbox 360.
Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 19:05:
A small PC is still a PC and as such, requires an OS, drivers and occasional maintenance. It also requires knowledge and understanding of hardware.
My guess is steam would make some sorta rethemed overlay to whatever OS they used. Kinda like those HTPC things that make everything simpler and cover up things that aren't needed to play media.
Steam already has a driver checker that can do updates, they can use expand that. Updates can generally be configured to be done silently and automatically. Other maintenance type things can be configured to be automatic too such as a background defrag. Lots of people own and use PC's with ZERO knowledge and understanding of hardware, and valve can make a lot of stuff happen automatically under the hood.

Dev is correct.

Not that I consider them an authority or anything, but Maximum PC built a competant gaming rig for under $500 2-3 issues back.

Also, a system builder NEVER pays retail; discounts are darn near to cost in many cases for components, given the competitiveness of the market.

^D^

1242 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo