Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jason

Real Name Jason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Trevellian
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description hi
Homepage http://www.c22gaming.com
Signed On Jul 6, 2009, 19:17
Total Comments 963 (Graduate)
User ID 55066

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition?
20. Re: Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition? Mar 18, 2013, 10:30 Trevellian

Theo wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 05:56:
Trevellian wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 18:47:
Also... MK9 is one of the most used Fighting Games currently in competition. So it may not be in his top 25, but it is certainly in other peoples top 25. Since it came out it has mostly overshadowed the competitive play of SF4 and Tekken at EVO. It's definitely worthy of a Game of the Year edition regardless of this guys opinion.

Is it worthy of a GOTY? well yes, even for casual fighting game fans; the story mode is just good fun. Utter good fun. Its also packed with features; 2v2 team fights, ladder fights, and the challenges etc.

As for the evo comments, not accurate if you ask me; But it has been taken seriously (and that's pretty much a first for a MK game in recent years) so it is good that they put effort in to the actual mechanics (beyond fun) this time around for more serious players.

The online is still a bit of a lagging mess, but its a lot of fu n once you get around the issues. I tend to buy all fighters on the x360 when they come out, and then on the PC when they get them because ill be able to "keep" them for longer past hardware generations.

Most fighting game ports thus far have been good (capcom), lets hope WB/NR do a good job with this one, can only be a good thing.

EVO Comment was more of an opinion, I was never really into Tekken, I always liked DOA more, it was a shame how long it took 5 to come out. So I sort of felt like MK9 overshadowed SF4 and Tekken as far as how good the competitions were. I watched a lot of great bouts in it last year. I do hope the port is good but I won't be buying it, I have the Kollector's Edition on PS3, so I think I gave them enough money. I will pick up Injustice when it comes out though, it looks great. I like the bit of experimentation they've done with the interactive arenas (One of the things I love most about DOA5 actually, though you can't pick anything up, knocking people through multiple levels of an arena always added a nice change to me)

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition?
11. Re: Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition? Mar 17, 2013, 18:47 Trevellian

ViRGE wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 17:52:
JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 14:39:
What's with these games that weren't even in most people's Top 25 list being called "Game of the Year"?
GOTY is now commonly used and commonly recognized as the flag indicating that it's a re-release, specifically one containing any expansion packs, add-ons, and DLC that was released between the initial release of the game and the release of the GOTY version.

Also... MK9 is one of the most used Fighting Games currently in competition. So it may not be in his top 25, but it is certainly in other peoples top 25. Since it came out it has mostly overshadowed the competitive play of SF4 and Tekken at EVO. It's definitely worthy of a Game of the Year edition regardless of this guys opinion.

For the Republic

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
42. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 19:47 Trevellian

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 17:27:
So what's so special about this whole "enter the dominatrix" expansion that I guess is now being turned into SR4?

Creston

more of the Super Powers from the mutated Gat DLC. Was what I originally heard. Cause people loved the few minutes you got to have superpowers (myself included)

For the Republic

News Comments > New Warhammer 40,000 TBS Game Planned
6. Re: New Warhammer 40,000 TBS Game Planned Mar 14, 2013, 22:02 Trevellian

I'd rather see Relic do Homeworld 3 and fuck all else.

But it will never happen so I'm going to go cry in a corner.

For the Republic

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed
7. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed Mar 13, 2013, 12:29 Trevellian

If it's Coop multiplayer and it doesn't detract from the quality of singleplayer I am all for it.  

For the Republic

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
31. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 16:32 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:42:
Trevellian wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:15:
There are people who flip flopped in reverse of your assumed owners of both took. I found more and more I played my PS3 over the 360 when i still owned both and they both were in working order. And that was soley because of titles like Uncharted and Little Big Planet being far more interesting than anything Microsoft had left in their arsenal.

That describes me pretty well too. I started out with just a 360 and loved it. They were making cool stuff across a variety of genres. Everything from oddball JRPGs to their big name franchises. They had fun stuff on Live like contests, 1 vs 100 and polls where they actually took feedback into consideration. I bought a PS3 when the Slim came around to play a few exclusives and simultaneously Microsoft started buying exclusive DLC instead of making games. Gradually I just got more and more into the PS3 then realized I had paid for a year of Live without even using the Xbox 360. That combined with the ads and other stuff made me sell it. It was kind of silly owning three platforms anyway, way too many games and not enough time.

Yeah at the time Reach came out, I had not used Live to play anything online since a year earlier when Gears 2 came out. After I was done with reach I never renewed my Live account again, and then the Xbox Red Ringed anyway and I just said fuck it.

And I too enjoyed the Mistwalker ridiculous multi disc RPG's at first on 360 but they just didn't continue with enough of that. I enjoyed things like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery and even things that were a little off like Nintey-Nine Nights.

But they all but abandoned that fanbase in the favor of like you said, just buying DLC exclusivity for things. It was a sad move in my opinion and helped push me over to Sony even more. Sony is at least willing to try new things, made obvious by stuff like LBP, Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls (Which is now PS4 I believe). I think their willingness to experiment makes them the better choice of console as a PC gamer who is used to seeing experimentation and new genres appear. This will just become even more apparent now that the PS4 is x86 based and PC and PS4 will both benefit from ports not suffering quite as much.

For the Republic

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 15:15 Trevellian

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:32:
fujiJuice wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:16:
I own both the 360 and the PS3, and while I rarely, very rarely play games on them, I use the 360 several times a day. Like someone said, you can buy Live, if you shop around, for a year at around $30, which is money I would rather not have to pay, but I feel I get value out of.

The 360 has so many extra features, some which the PS3 has, but doesn't do nearly as well, that I find myself using it as a media console and not a gaming console.
My brother is the same. He owns a X360, PS3 and Wii, yet he pretty much uses the X360 exclusively (he also games on PC). The biggest fans of the PS3 seem to be those who own it as their only console or who dislike Microsoft as a company - most people that own both prefer the X360.

Only true for some people.

I was an early adopter. I was huge for the first Xbox and loved mine. Had no problem dropping the money to preorder a first gen 360 (I got lucky, mine lasted for 3 years before red ringing, but I take care of my shit). I actually did not buy a PS3 till the first Uncharted released, it was the first exclusive I felt I needed the system for. That and Blu Ray had won the war with HD DVD by then.

After 2 red rings of death and paying 50 dollars for Live for years, when it red ringed again, and they wanted to up their subscription to 60 bucks. That was when enough was enough. They had already plastered enough ad's all over their online service to make me feel jilted as a consumer. If I'm paying for your service, you had better not ram ad's down my throat over and over just so I can play my game online. Reach was the last game I played on 360. I am actually a huge Halo fan, and am disappointed I will never get to play Halo 4, because I now prefer Sony's console to Microsoft's shennanigans. For this reason alone I am excited to see what Bungie does with Destiny.

There are people who flip flopped in reverse of your assumed owners of both took. I found more and more I played my PS3 over the 360 when i still owned both and they both were in working order. And that was soley because of titles like Uncharted and Little Big Planet being far more interesting than anything Microsoft had left in their arsenal.

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 13:25:
I think people forget that the PS3 sold like 70m systems and the Xbox 360 is only at 76m itself, they are pretty close to parity and I wouldn't declare either one a "winner" this gen. That's despite the PS3 have a higher price tag the majority of the time. In fact this whole gen was really weird thanks to the Wii undercutting everyone. Microsoft made money on the Xbox 360 but it's peanuts compared to their traditional revenue sources and Sony had other products lumped in with the PS3 dragging it down, I'm not sure where it stands on profitability.

There is also no telling how many of those 76m 360's were sold to the EXACT SAME PEOPLE after their console red ringed. Because I know people who were so addicted to shit like Halo and COD they didn't want to wait the month or more for them to send the box and send their console back, so they just went and bought an entire new console (Myself included, my system Red Ringed as soon as I got Halo Reach and I just went and bought a new one) but one of which I knew personally went through 4 360's, just to play COD, that is literally the only game he plays, now he plays it on PS3. So I don't trust that Microsoft actually beat Sony in "actual" install base this Gen to begin with. The numbers are skewed.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 15:28.

For the Republic

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 12:19 Trevellian

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:03:
People would prefer the better online experience for what they play, rather than other games that aren't necessarily the best games.

This kills everything you said for me. It is not a better online Experience. I have 5 friends who play COD religiously every night on PSN and have no issues.

You know what they don't have to do though? Look at 12 ad's before they can play their game and spend 60 dollars to do so. Playing online should be FREE. They aren't offering anything extra for 60 bucks. Live is a complete and total Ripoff. Whereas PSN+ Is all extras, beta access, 1 hour demo's of full games, free games, Steam Style sales on games. at 50 dollars a year instead of 60.

Live is in no way better than PSN. Maybe when the systems released, yes. Now? No, not at all, PSN is the better value.

The rest of Verno's post sums up my feelings pretty well.

For the Republic

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 11:48 Trevellian

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:40:
How many systems did Uncharted, LBP, Infamous and Heavy Rain sell?

Well, at least 1, I did buy my PS3 in large part due to Uncharted, which remains the only games I've really played. LBP2 got maybe an hour, Infamous (1+2) and Heavy Rain sit unopened next to the system (along with Resistance 1-3 and maybe 1 or 2 other games.)

You didn't play them, lots of others did.

The fact of the matter remains, Microsoft's throne was built on 2 series this generation. Halo and Gears. Bungie is gone, Capps and Cliffy are gone. Neither series will quite be the same, just in the same way COD went downhill after the loss of it's creators. Look what they did to Rare? Rare made some of the greatest games of the N64 era. Microsoft throws money at them, they make one good game near the launch of the 360, Kameo. Perfect Dark Zero was lackluster. What have they done since? Absolutely jack shit. Microsoft has this habit of buying and destroying great companies, should I keep going? Ensamble Studios? Make us Halo Wars! Okay great you're all fired.

Meanwhile, Sony has a virtual stable full of exclusives they have created over the years they can dig into. That is what is important.

The problem with Microsoft is they have deep pockets where they can just buy anything they want, but then mistreat it, and the people behind it want out. That is not how to keep franchises going. They're going to feel those losses this gen.

And I would say LBP drew a lot of Nintendo fans and Uncharted drew a lot of people to buy systems in general, because there was a drastic jump in their sales the past few years where they have made a lot of ground on catching up.

For the Republic

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 11:35 Trevellian

It's a stupid prediction. I can't agree with. Microsoft has no creativity and no Exclusive IP's worth a damn besides Halo and Gears, both of which the creative minds behind them have now left. While Sony continues to pump out new IP after new IP. (Uncharted? Little Big Planet? Inafmous? Heavy Rain? And those are just a few of the ones they created this generation and that aren't continuations from the PS2 era, all of which have more creativity and heart than Halo or Gears) And they aren't dicking around and waiting a year late to launch this time.

Microsoft is screwed this time around, unless they came up with about 20 worthwhile new exclusives in the past year none of us have heard of.

As an added aside most people are starting to see the ad riddled 60 dollar a month to play my games online Live service as what it is, a rip off. It's no better than PSN where you can play any game you buy for free, and if you want bonus goodies like free games and sales on games that Live does NOT offer, for 50 bucks, it's a much better deal, and is an "extra" the way the charged service should be.

Sony > Microsoft next gen.

For the Republic

News Comments > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Announced
4. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Announced Mar 5, 2013, 22:32 Trevellian

Why do they look like they have Downs? Is this based off the shitty Michael Bay turtles movie? Is that why they look stupid? Just making me hate him even more at this point.  

For the Republic

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
5. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 10:39 Trevellian

The goal was obviously to take Lara and put her in a game more like the series she inspired, Uncharted. I can't say this is a bad thing, as Uncharted is by far, leaps and bounds ahead of every other series this console generation, my favorite. They seem to have taken the proven cinematic experience of Uncharted and added a bit more realism and less humor.

I'm okay with that, I loved CD's last 3 Tomb Raider games, I'm sure I'll love this one since it seems like a little sister to Uncharted.

For the Republic

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
2. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 1, 2013, 19:37 Trevellian

Heres a fucking idea, get rid of the Auction House that no one asked for and make better item drops.

Bam, fixed your fucking game Blizzard. Send my check in the mail.

Dipshits.

For the Republic

News Comments > DARK Gameplay Trailer
3. Re: DARK Gameplay Trailer Feb 28, 2013, 13:33 Trevellian

It still looks awful after all this time. To top it off, I didn't think it could get any worse till the music came on. Awful.  

For the Republic

News Comments > Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale
31. Re: Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale Feb 27, 2013, 15:51 Trevellian

Orogogus wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 15:15:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:18:
Verno wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:57:
Trevellian wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 13:13:
All I have wanted since Homeworld 2 is freaking Homeworld 3. I hate Relic for never making another after THQ finally got the IP back. And I hate all these other companies for just letting the IP sit there and rot.

Like someone else said, it's a real bummer that billions go into making and marketing the same FPS games every year but no one will spare 10mil for Homeworld.

Oh well, there's always Kickstarter I remember there was a Kickstarter thingie trying to acquire the Homeworld IP, not sure what happened with it though.

The problem is that Homeworld 3 will cost $10m and that's almost impossible with kickstarter.

I'm pretty sure I've seen people asking before, but why are people so attached to the Homeworld IP? I thought the story was reasonably good, but there's no reason to spend millions of dollars on a reasonably good story. If you just make a 3D RTS with spaceships and call it a spiritual successor, are people really not going to get on board unless it's got the same mothership and Hiigara and everything again? Homeworld 2 didn't really end on a cliffhanger like Freespace 2, so I don't see the reason not to keep the mechanics and start over.

if someone else would take the same Mothership approach, complete with being able to warp your fleet, EVERYTHING, and make a non Homeworld game out of it, I'd play it. The problem is no one will, and that is why it is sad Relic never started up a Homeworld 3, theres no hope for it being done right without them is what I fear.

I guess I'll just keep playing Sins. Close, but not really, but still fun. *shrug*

For the Republic

News Comments > Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale
19. Re: Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale Feb 27, 2013, 13:13 Trevellian

All I have wanted since Homeworld 2 is freaking Homeworld 3. I hate Relic for never making another after THQ finally got the IP back. And I hate all these other companies for just letting the IP sit there and rot.  

For the Republic

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 21:31 Trevellian

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 20:39:
I've speculated on pricing here a ton, and I'm 100% certain the publishers are investigating it.

But not just high. Don't get me wrong, Call of Duty will always come in high. $59.99? Sure. $69.99? Why not.

Other games, though? They know damn well they can't sustain that. And they know damn well that there's a sweet spot. There are some issues:
1) Games will always sell a ton their first week, even if the price is high. It's hard to walk away from that
2) Games will always sell a ton when prices drop. Does a game on Steam sell better when it's released at $4.99 or when it's released at $9.99 then cut to $4.99 for two weeks every two months?

I'm guessing that last part is the big problem. Games hit at $59.99. They then go on sale from time to time. They then get price drops. They go on sale a few more times. Then prices drop again.

If the massive failure of JC Penny proves anything, it's that most people are motivated not by everyday low prices but by getting a bargain, especially a time-sensitive bargain that's act-now or lose.

Steam probably generates 30% of its annual revenue during the Christmas sale. Maybe more. Starting with a lower priced product instead of a higher one you regularly and quickly reduce probably wouldn't work as well.

I have to say 49.99 is the sweet spot. I will admit, even though it's only a 10 dollar difference, if a game I want comes out at 50 bucks instead of 60, I won't even bat an eye when it comes to purchasing it.

I used to buy far more games during the Xbox/PS2 generation because they were 50 dollars.

For the Republic

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 20:09 Trevellian

"Consoles need to be more like PCs, but as long as companies like Micorosft hand me giant bags of money to stifle my own creations by making them Console only I'll keep doing it and talking trash about PC gamers the whole time with a smile on my face."

FTFY Cliff.

And believe me, I don't take pleasure in feeling this way, I was a huge Unreal Tournament Fanboy all the way up till the last good one, UT2K4.

For the Republic

News Comments > Firefall Beta Weekend
6. Re: Firefall Beta Weekend Feb 23, 2013, 22:54 Trevellian

It's pretty boring at the moment unless you like doing the same few things over and over and over like WoW Dailies.

The Campaign isn't in the beta yet. So all you can really do is go recapture hubs taken over by Chosen or Thump for hours and hours.

Hopefully when they add more things to do it'll get more interesting.

For the Republic

News Comments > BioShock Infinite GMG Pre-order Bonuses [Updated]
5. Re: BioShock Infinite Pre-order Bonuses Get Bonuses Feb 23, 2013, 14:37 Trevellian

kyleb wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 13:39:
Yeah, they pulled the same thing with XCOM, duping a lot of suckers into buying that train wreck of a game. /s

I missed the /s... I hate the internet. I'm leaving.

For the Republic

963 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo