Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 896 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GTA Online Microtransactions Confirmed
10. Re: GTA Online Microtransactions Confirmed Sep 26, 2013, 01:33 entr0py

"The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game."

If this is genuinely true and not bullshit, I have no real problem with them selling cash. The situation seems a bit like the early unlocks for sale in Battlefield 3. People who buy them are just robbing themselves of the enjoyment of unlocking things at the pace the developers intended, and feeling some sense of achievement and progression.

At least my impression is players can't sell each other items in GTA online. And that's the critical thing. If we're each in our own financial sandbox, there's no real economy to screw up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 21, 2013, 23:49 entr0py

The inquirer may just not know what they're talking about, but the end of their article states.

"To wrap up Libreri showed off a video demonstrating Lucasfilm's "performance capture stage" driving the game engine for 1313, which is still in production."

If true that would mean 1313 is uncancelled. Some EA studio would have to be working on it if that's the case.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence?
21. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Evidence? Sep 15, 2013, 14:41 entr0py

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 15, 2013, 12:46:
There has never been a GTA game that didn't come out for PC. Why do people act like this is some mystery that needs cracking?

Well, you remember when Take-Two renamed all their studios to some flavor of Rockstar? I think that marketing trick worked on a lot of people, and they now conflate everything the publisher and other studios do with Rockstar North.

Nevermind that Rockstar San Diego/Angel Studios is a different developer, in a different country, who has a long history of not porting their console games to PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_San_Diego

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 14, 2013, 21:21 entr0py

Fox News is going to lose their shit when GTA V comes out and they see the polygonal titties. To their elderly conservative viewers, it's one of the two games series they're aware of, and they believe that all video games are made for kids.  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned
19. Re: Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned Aug 27, 2013, 22:15 entr0py

NKD wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 21:28:
entr0py wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 21:15:
That can only mean they're going to include PhysX exclusive features rather than just doing a version that will work on any video card. At least when AMD sponsors a game and gets their logo splashed on the screen, it doesn't carry any proprietary bullshit.

If AMD had a proprietary tech they thought they could muscle people into adopting, they'd do the same shit. Let's not pretend it's some kind of moral stance.

And if the recent AMD Evolved stuff is any indication, their exclusive feature is "We've disallowed the developer from working with Nvidia to get driver fixes ready for release day."

Yeah it's not a moral question, and I don't really blame Nvidia for the strategy. I just blame game publishers for playing along and giving the finger to half their customers.

I didn't know that AMD Evolved titles had that problem with Nvidia drivers. That's equally dickish if so.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned
17. Re: Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned Aug 27, 2013, 21:15 entr0py

That can only mean they're going to include PhysX exclusive features rather than just doing a version that will work on any video card. At least when AMD sponsors a game and gets their logo splashed on the screen, it doesn't carry any proprietary bullshit.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 14:41 entr0py

That's crazy that in that article there are 11 paragraphs on violence in videogames, but not one on the prevalent danger of unsecured firearms in reach of children. Kids with access to guns will play with them. It's sad to say, but I'm glad it was the unbelievably negligent adult who got shot; more often kids end up shooting themselves or one of their friends.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailer
5. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailer Aug 23, 2013, 00:42 entr0py

bigspender wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 22:01:
Going into Battlefield 4 two years or so ago, we first explored a concept that we internally dubbed "Timeline"

We'll thanks for planning BF4 before BF3 was even released.

In a way it's nothing new; DICE has been doing a new Battlefield game about every 2 years for the last decade.

I was disappointed that they stuck with the main series and didn't try something more experimental, like 2142. But, this does look a lot more ambitious than I imagined at first.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
56. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 22, 2013, 02:28 entr0py

Squirmer wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 00:50:
WoW could use subs because there was little competition at the time and it could build a large core playerbase. It's much harder to do that nowadays when there are MMOs all over the place, and many of them are free to play.

It's silly to suggest GW2 didn't have subs because they knew it was a substandard product. To believe that you have to ignore the obvious trend towards F2P, and failure of high profile subs games like SWTOR. And you have to ignore the millions of subs that WoW has lost over the last couple of years.

Guld Wars 2 was in no way F2P, it was $50-$60 upfront. In that sense it followed the Guild Wars model. . . which far outdates the F2P trend.

Still, I think TESO might be good enough that they can extract large payments from eager players for the first year, then transition to a F2P model when interest starts to wane.

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 in February 2014
3. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 in February 2014 Aug 22, 2013, 02:09 entr0py

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:38:
They need to make another game in same style as Symphony of the Night. That is still one of the best side-scroller games ever made.

Was Symphony of the Night all that different from all the 2D Castlevania games that followed? I think I played them all when they were new, but I don't remember the distinction.

Still, it's nice to see Konami announcing a PC version at the same time as the console versions. I had fun with Lords of Shadow, even if it wasn't exceptional. It showed enough promise to build on.

News Comments > EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees
57. Re: EA Offering Origin Game Guarantees Aug 20, 2013, 14:46 entr0py

I know the internet is brimming with hate for EA, but this is a great policy. I can only hope it spreads to Steam and other platforms.

A couple years back Google changed it's android market policy from refunds within 24 hours for any reason, to refunds within 15 min (starting before the download begins). I can honestly say that just made me stop buying android games. For android users who don't have the latest phone, lots of games just don't run or don't run well. The same is true of lower end PC gamers. Incredibly, EA made a move in the right direction.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
12. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 22:59 entr0py

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 21:34:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 21:15:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:49:
So what happens to the games that require GFWL?
It would be equivalent to playing them offline, I'd assume.

Some game required it be installed and working. Online no matter.

I really don't think there are any single player games where GFWL requires an online connection, you just have to make an offline profile for each game (an option that's easy to miss).

Not sure what multi-player titles are effected, but I imagine they're screwed. Unless, like with dawn of war II, the developers care enough to patch in a replacement for GFWL.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Steam Preloads
17. Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 17, 2013, 16:48 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 04:56:
entr0py wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 03:58:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 00:24:
I have to say I'm pleased with how Volition/Deep Silver has handled the launch of SR4. They've put out a ton of gameplay videos before hand, let the press evaluate the game and publish reviews ahead of time (letting buyers see reviews and still get in on the pre-order bonus), and they even offered a discount to SR3 owners. This is such a vast departure from the bait & switch launch tactics of most publishers that it's quite refreshing.

That said, the fact that Enter the Dominatrix was used as the base of SR4 rather than released as a separate SR3 DLC remains a disappointment, but all things considered I feel like they've more than made up for it.

I don't know, as a consumer I distrust early reviews and have the feeling they're granted in return for favors. It's just an anecdote but I think the first exclusive early review of Dragon Age II was %100. Assuming publishers have full discretion over who gets copies, it's a good way of keeping the gaming press in line.

When a single publication is given a world exclusive first review, then what you say is true. But there's a big difference between that and lifting an embargo on all reviews. A world-exclusive review will always be very positive, as that's the only reason why a publisher would allow it to break embargo. On the other hand, when an embargo is lifted on all reviews, the publisher is allowing reviewers to give whatever score they want.

Thanks man, I did not know the details of how it works. It would be cool if there were a site where the public could see listings of general embargo dates (making it obvious which outlets entered into shady agreements). But in SR4's case everything it looks like it's all above board. Also here's a helpful intro for others :

Penny Arcade

News Comments > Saints Row IV Steam Preloads
10. Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 17, 2013, 03:58 entr0py

ViRGE wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 00:24:
I have to say I'm pleased with how Volition/Deep Silver has handled the launch of SR4. They've put out a ton of gameplay videos before hand, let the press evaluate the game and publish reviews ahead of time (letting buyers see reviews and still get in on the pre-order bonus), and they even offered a discount to SR3 owners. This is such a vast departure from the bait & switch launch tactics of most publishers that it's quite refreshing.

That said, the fact that Enter the Dominatrix was used as the base of SR4 rather than released as a separate SR3 DLC remains a disappointment, but all things considered I feel like they've more than made up for it.

I don't know, as a consumer I distrust early reviews and have the feeling they're granted in return for favors. It's just an anecdote but I think the first exclusive early review of Dragon Age II was %100. Assuming publishers have full discretion over who gets copies, it's a good way of keeping the gaming press in line.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Announced
3. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf Announced Aug 17, 2013, 03:40 entr0py

Wow, games workshop is really trying to use up the franchise before it goes out of style. I think this is the third 40k game in the last few months licensed to a crap developer.

The other two being Space Hulk and this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Eternal_Crusade

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 16, 2013, 20:37 entr0py

I just realized, this is Rockstar's big chance to finally play the same con on console gamers that they've been playing on PC gamers for the last decade. That is, stay tight lipped about the GTA port that they have planned in hopes that customers will end up buying the game for two platforms. Those talented weasels.

And yeah it's going to work, put me down for an Xbox 360 preorder

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2013, 20:56.

News Comments > GTA Online Trailer
28. Re: GTA Online Trailer Aug 15, 2013, 18:03 entr0py

That does look a hell of a lot better than the deathmatch gameplay they had for GTA IV. Also, another reason to wait for the PC version, I'd be shocked if they charge a fee to play online.  

News Comments > John Carmack Joins Oculus VR
82. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2013, 22:20 entr0py

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:23:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 19:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:49:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:32:
Noting this is all moot while I wear glasses,
Ray
I do hope they will figure something out for people wearing glasses, but I thought I've read somewhere that you don't really have to worry about that as the screens you are looking at are literally right in front of your eyes.
It ships with several sets of corrective lenses, and I believe there is room for a set of glasses inside as well.

Yeah the guy who was giving out free roller coaster rides at work would ask how people's vision was and would do some quick adjustments before handing it over. Seemed pretty easy.

Also, I think they've said they want to design the consumer version to have enough room on the inside that you can simply keep your glasses on. The corrective cups were sort of a stopgap measure.

News Comments > Titan "Unlikely" to be Subscription-Based
15. Re: Titan Aug 2, 2013, 19:42 entr0py

Blue makes a good point about the ludicrous financial success of WoW. Sure, OTHER companies need to make the calculation that they're not going to produce the next WoW, so a high budget subscription based MMO is a tall order. But you'd think Blizzard has a shot at it.

News Comments > XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month?
16. Re: XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month? Aug 1, 2013, 21:52 entr0py

Personally, I'd like to see it turn out to be a stand-alone expansion around the $30 mark. It's not the right time for a full-price sequel yet, if they're smart they'll just improve and flesh out Enemy Unknown.  

896 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo