Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 897 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Bondi Offices Close
9. Re: Team Bondi Offices Close Sep 2, 2011, 18:04 entr0py

tony wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 12:28:
As selfish of me as it is to say or think this... I hope this does not affect the PC version of LA Noire.

Naw it was announced after everyone knew Team Bondi was going under. The PC version is being developed by Rockstar Leeds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Details
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Details Sep 2, 2011, 15:43 entr0py

From what I've heard they are trying to invite different groups for each of the beta weekends. So if you didn't get in this time, you probably will on one of the other weekends.

Anyway, if you didn't get in but want a taste of the early game, Cynical Brit recently did a half hour walkthrough with an low level sith warrior. It definitely made me want to start playing.

http://www.cynicalbrit.com/videos/hyper-wtf-is-star-wars-the-old-republic/

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Trailer
9. Re: Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Trailer Sep 2, 2011, 14:59 entr0py

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:26:
MajorD wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 11:42:
Nice try 'again' EA, but I'm still not purchasing this title as along as it is on your spyware Origin.

Just pretend you're using steam spyware. Granted until sniping isn't shooting at orange triangles I won't touch it.

It seems like about half of the BFBC2 servers are running hardcore mode with 3D spotting disabled. BF3 will have a similar hardcore mode and I'm sure it will be just as popular.

News Comments > EA Not Planning Origin Exclusives
19. Re: EA Not Planning Origin Exclusives Aug 30, 2011, 20:20 entr0py

fujiJuice wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 15:12:
Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:33:
They already said they aren't using Origin for patching and that you don't need to register it with Origin. The game's login and patching systems were built long before Origin was around.

Not so sure about that, EA upgraded my EA Account to Origin, and Bioware did the same with my TOR website account. I used two different email addresses for each and now I am forced to have two different Origin accounts, this is because the TOR website account is an Origin account. If your Origin account is a different email address than your TOR account, and you already entered a game code on the TOR website, try and change one of them to the other email address, it won't work, already taken.

Because the EA accounts are now linked, everyone who buys TOR will be able to download the client through Origin if they want to. If you do download the Origin client you'll see your TOR preorder is in your games list, even if you bought it somewhere else.

I'm starting to wonder if they will distribute either the beta weekened events or the early access through Origin. Then argue that you still never need to install Origin because those are not the game proper. Guess we'll see on Friday.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL
20. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 13:07 entr0py

linfosoma wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 12:58:
entr0py wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:25:
linfosoma wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:56:
The only problem I have with GFWL is that it's not available in my region, therefore I cant buy the game where I live.
Sigh, I guess I'll have to pass it, it's a shame because I really liked the first one (Live titles were available back then).

And that's why I buy on steam, not because I like the service (though I really do), but because they are the only ones who let me (Impulse used to let me buy games from them too, but after the adquisition I cant buy anything anymore).

You can still buy and play the game where you live, you just create an offline account through GFWL, which can be done without ever connecting to the internet or sending data to Microsoft. If you do that it will work just like a user profile in most games; only used for storing saved games locally.

You'll miss out on the online leaderboards for single player timetrials, but there's no proper multiplayer anyway. And you can still buy through steam if you want.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/FAQ#title10

How? I already have a GFWL profile, If I look for the game on steam (or any other store) it says the game is unavailable in my region.

No one is taking preorders yet, I guess that will come a little later.

Here's how to create an offline GFWL account if you need one:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?64130-Creating-an-off-line-account-in-GFWL

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL
9. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 11:25 entr0py

linfosoma wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:56:
The only problem I have with GFWL is that it's not available in my region, therefore I cant buy the game where I live.
Sigh, I guess I'll have to pass it, it's a shame because I really liked the first one (Live titles were available back then).

And that's why I buy on steam, not because I like the service (though I really do), but because they are the only ones who let me (Impulse used to let me buy games from them too, but after the adquisition I cant buy anything anymore).

You can still buy and play the game where you live, you just create an offline account through GFWL, which can be done without ever connecting to the internet or sending data to Microsoft. If you do that it will work just like a user profile in most games; only used for storing saved games locally.

You'll miss out on the online leaderboards for single player timetrials, but there's no proper multiplayer anyway. And you can still buy through steam if you want.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/FAQ#title10

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2011, 11:31.

News Comments > Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam
20. Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 30, 2011, 02:42 entr0py

Tomas wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 01:01:
A thought on why Valve has their new policy.

Release free to play game on Steam. Make money off micro transactions and or DLC not sold via Steam. Steam foots the bill for serving up the data and everyting else that comes in the package (free advertising to its users, etc.) Now since the company using steam can handle all the money stuff on their own Valve gets nothing for providing the service. Not really hard to see why they don't want to do this.

That probably isn't the only issue here, but I'm sure it was one that came into the thought process.

Um, there's no way in hell they're going to distribute F2P games that they receive no cut of either initially or eventually. That's not a possibility now or in the future. And it's very separate issue form demanding a cut of all DLC on paid games.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2011, 02:51.

News Comments > Valve on the Importance of Not Sucking
16. Re: Valve on the Importance of Not Sucking Aug 30, 2011, 02:35 entr0py

If they're pretending not to think about how they'll make money off their games before they go on sale, that's ridiculous. Sure they think of additional ways of "monetizing" their games after the fact, like premium hats, but they always have a business plan in mind.

Post hoc ways of squeezing customers are just gravy.

News Comments > Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam
17. Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 30, 2011, 00:42 entr0py

I wonder if Steam couldn't reach some sort of compromise where they permit customers to buy compatible DLC directly through the publisher (or even a different digital retailer), but you can still buy through steam if you so choose. Just treat DLC like a traditional expansion pack; regardless of what retailer it's bought from it will still work.

That seems more reasonable than either steam having a monopoly on all subsequent DLC sales, or the publisher having the monopoly.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2011, 00:57.

News Comments > The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details
4. Re: The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details Aug 27, 2011, 02:19 entr0py

Beta signups haven't actually started, they're having technical difficulties with their webzone.
http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=20442

It is very irritating how the homepage doesn't simply say that. Rather they're trying to put some sort of alternate reality game spin on their server problems. Now's not the time for that.

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 Weapon Customization
9. Re: On Battlefield 3 Weapon Customization Aug 26, 2011, 02:33 entr0py

Linksil wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 02:07:
How does the whole Origin timing out games work? Is your copy locked into Origin like steam with a SN? So if I times out in two years can I just reuse the same serial?

Though their lawyers reserve the legal right to close accounts after 2 years of inactivity, I wouldn't think there's much chance they'd actually do it. Why would they want to screw themselves out of customers like that? My untouched EA downloader booster packs for BF2 and BF2142 were still in my games list on Origin, and there's no way I used them in at least 4 years.

News Comments > Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch
27. Re: Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch Aug 20, 2011, 23:46 entr0py

That's fine with me. Making larger versions of the TDM maps that can accommodate more players would take time and resources. I'd rather they put that effort into the other PC exclusive features.  

News Comments > BF3 Themed Co-op
20. Re: BF3 Themed Co-op Aug 19, 2011, 21:15 entr0py

Teddy wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 19:55:
entr0py wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 19:21:
That's weird, they had previously announced there would be NO server browser of any kind on consoles. Maybe if they backpedaled on that, they could do the same on the PC.

When did they announce that? It's an odd thing to announce since it's almost never done on consoles in the first place.

Here you go, it was back in June. It wasn't an announcement but part of a Q&A.

http://www.enterbf3.com/viewtopic.php?t=2247

News Comments > BF3 Themed Co-op
14. Re: BF3 Themed Co-op Aug 19, 2011, 19:21 entr0py

DangerDog wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 15:12:
Regardless of the insanity that consoles get in-game server browsers and PC users have to use an out of game web based one, the core gameplay is too good to pass up.

Wait till the beta is released and see that this new format isn't the end of the world, just something you need to adapt to.

That's weird, they had previously announced there would be NO server browser of any kind on consoles. Maybe if they backpedaled on that, they could do the same on the PC.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
54. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 18:50 entr0py

Really this should be standard operating procedure for any new MMO. It is unacceptable whenever an MMO is released with half the needed server capacity. Those 6 hour queues on RIFT were brutal.

Another thing that should be obvious is to instance the first couple of zones since the whole server population will be concentrated in them at the beginning. And there needs to be some limit on the number of characters that can be created on any server. I know in RIFT not every server was as bad as the one I happened to crate my characters on. But if they hadn't kept letting new people in they would have gone to the less populated servers.

News Comments > More on MW3 Dedicated Servers
7. Re: More on MW3 Dedicated Servers Aug 18, 2011, 18:49 entr0py

After the success of Black Ops, I didn't really think there was any chance Infinity Ward would persist with the peer to peer nonsense.

Though I see Xbox gamers are still screwed with a monthly paid subscription to a simple matchmaking service and no servers. I don't know why they put up with that shit.

News Comments > Skyrim Using Steamworks
9. Re: Skyrim Using Steamworks Aug 17, 2011, 23:41 entr0py

I never understand why companies that aren't Valve sell games with steam integrated. It's not like it stops piracy. Is it to ensure single-player games aren't reseleable or tradable?  

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
21. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 17, 2011, 23:33 entr0py

EA profits from every game they sell on Steam. If they couldn't stand any other digital retailers making money off their games, they wouldn't be selling Battlefield 3 at dozens of digital retailers including D2D and Impulse.

The difference is that Steam is the only digital retailer that demands a cut of all subsequent DLC. Valve would probably argue that they make up for this by providing automatic patching and DRM, but those services don't seem to be worth the cost to EA.

I don't think EA is doing this because they believe Origin can compete with Steam, it can't over all. Rather EA is trying to get Valve to change their policy, and they might have enough leverage to do so.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer
63. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 02:25 entr0py

I think the idea that most players are snipers is very rarely true. I agree it's frustrating when it happens, but it rarely does.

In the BF3 Alpha they had an official poll with over 7 thousand responses, and recon was by far the least popular of the four classes, with only 12% of people saying they preferred to play it. Assault had over 40%.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Wrath of Heroes Announced
4. Re: Warhammer Online Wrath of Heroes Announced Aug 17, 2011, 02:08 entr0py

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 23:54:
What the... from Bioware? Lol. Just rename that studio already.

Also, WO:WoH, nothing can go wrong with this initialism.(the non-acronym type of abbreviation)

Well, the trouble is that EA keeps renaming other studios Bioware. They now have 5 different development studios in different cities named Bioware. This game is by the studio formerly known as Mythic, best known for Dark Age of Camelot.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188071p1.html

897 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo