Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 875 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked
16. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 23:45 entr0py

Teddy wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 23:27:
Hell, right now I can't access anything on Origin or any EA website because I pre-ordered The Old Republic on a whim. It demanded that I create a new and more secure password for my TOR account that it would then change my Origin password to match.

They do have a toll free support number, 1-855-674-4461. Weird it asked you to make the two passwords the same. You could also try the "forgot password" link on the Origin login page.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2011, 23:56.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Commander Announced
5. Re: Dragon Commander Announced Aug 13, 2011, 02:30 entr0py

Turn-based dragon-centric strategic role-play, you say? I guess I could give it a shot.  

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
6. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 00:26 entr0py

I don't know, I don't think there's a good reason for it once you've already registered your game. I guess to make sure you're not thieving. When the steam client hasn't been updated recently enough it will shut you down from playing anything.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

This was a huge pain in the ass for me a year ago because the client would always crash on update even when I was online. Then Offline mode refused to work too. No games no how for a few days. Until I figured out I had to completely uninstall my antivirus software (not just suspend it).

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
4. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 12, 2011, 23:50 entr0py

Still Steam DRM requires you to be periodically online, and not just for the install. People without internet connections are still screwed. And people with periodic internet connections will sometimes be told they can't play their own game unless they check in again.

Pirates won't have to deal with that shit for the single-player game. Only paying customers.

It's not the worst sort of DRM, but it's pretty bad when it's made mandatory. Especially for a game that's mostly offline content.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
89. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 01:20 entr0py

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 00:44:
Fingers M wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:29:
Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal is that EA is trying to copy Steam and replace it with an aggressive advertising application...they have tried something like this before.

Um, it's not more advertizing aggressive than steam. Exactly like steam, it comes up with the store tab first by default, but that can be changed in the settings. If anything it's less ad heavy, there's no equivalent of the "steam news" ad popup.

Battlelog is BF3 specific, but I didn't notice any ads on it, and hopefully they will keep it that way.

But, there's no danger of Origin replacing Steam anyway. Because it only carries EA games. I know they're a big publisher, but they're not larger than the rest of the PC gaming market combined.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 01:45.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI Delayed
6. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Delayed Aug 11, 2011, 23:04 entr0py

Yeah they've got some strange ideas about DRM. The game doesn't absolutely require that you be online to play single-player. But it will try to cripple the single-player experience if you're not online, by locking you out of your best skills and weapons.

Who thought that that would be a good compromise? I know they're hoping to inflict an inferior version on pirates, but the scheme makes absolutely certain that whatever they do to pirates they also do to paying customers who aren't online.

64. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:47 entr0py

Dev wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:29:
Smooth Gravy wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:21:
Don't care. Can't wait

And that's exactly what EA is counting on. They are going to take it as a sign they can keep on in this direction.

I don't entirely buy the slippery slope argument. They can get away with it because it's a fantastic game. The same was true of Half-Life 2 back in the day. But if Origin integration hurts other releases that aren't guaranteed blockbusters, I think EA will be smart enough to notice.

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:13 entr0py

I am surprised simply because EA has taken the opposite tact with The Old Republic, announcing that you will never need to install Origin if you buy the boxed version.

I guess this is no more invasive than when games absolutely require Steam. Still, I hate Steam integration. So I reserve the right to resent EA for this decision.

It is not enough to keep me from buying BF3. But it is a knock against any game, and I'm sure in the future it will discourage me from buying other EA games that I'm not as crazy about.

News Comments > GameFly Adding Digital Game Rentals
3. Re: GameFly Adding Digital Game Rentals Aug 10, 2011, 00:10 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 23:36:
$16 a month for one game is pretty terrible, considering that most games can be beaten in less than 10 hours. $16 a month for 10 games sounds much more reasonable.

Well, that's one game at a time, the sooner you mail it back the sooner they send you a different game, just like netflix. So maybe you'd rent 3 a month. Still a bad deal though. Blockbuster by mail is $12 a month for 1 game at a time.

News Comments > Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release
6. Re: Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release Aug 9, 2011, 23:45 entr0py

I meant a 1 month delay on coop was forgivable if that was all they did. But it's the non-transferable lease on a fullprice game that bothers me.

Of course PC gamers are already screwed since it will feature permanent account linking. But at least console gamers are used to their games retaining some value after purchase.

News Comments > Team Bondi Assets Sold
1. Re: Team Bondi Assets Sold Aug 9, 2011, 22:21 entr0py

I wonder what IP Team Bondi owned. L.A. Noire was their first and only game. And I would assume that Rockstar owns the IP rights.  

News Comments > Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release
3. Re: Space Marine Co-op Coming Post-Release Aug 9, 2011, 22:17 entr0py

It's irritating but forgivable that they didn't have a touted feature ready for launch. But it does strike me as weaselly that they used that as an opportunity to fuck over second hand sales, trades and gifts. Sad to see other publishers taking a cue from EA.  

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 21:14 entr0py

Bhruic wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 20:53:
And, really, we have no idea what exactly Origin is going to offer in terms of enticements in the future, so they could well be including the carrot to go with the stick.

Well, for BF3 Origin offered early access to the beta and, for a time, a free game (Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2 or Medal of Honor). Those are some tempting carrots. Seems like they did give themselves a better deal than D2D or Impulse. Though D2D has it for $6 less

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 19:54 entr0py

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 19:00:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 18:54:
Origin isn't as much as a problem as having to log in to "battlenet" to access a server browser and needing to use it as your front end UI. Not having a server browser in game is going to be a pain, but then again DICE seem to always fail at programming a decent UI - or it takes many patches before it gets even remotely usable.

I assumed that was an alpha thing.

DICE has made a couple statements that strongly suggest that there will be no in-game server browser. But they've come shy of simply saying it unequivocally.

http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/97951424561942528

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/1404672-new-interview-june-10-a.html

Basically, when asked about server browsers they always start talking about battlelog only, and have never mentioned an in game one.

Personally I think battlelog is fine for finding that first game. The filters were adequate, it refreshed fast enough, and the group join feature was new. But I dislike having a web browser running in the background, and it's a pain in the ass to shut down the game every time you want to switch to a different server.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
7. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 13:17 entr0py

It would be nice to know what exactly the conflict is. But if EA has been cryptic about it, Steam has been silent. Oh well I've stopped caring. Both companies will get on well enough without each other. But I believe they'll work it out just because they both have a lot to gain.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 6, 2011, 01:45 entr0py

[redacted]  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 5, 2011, 21:14 entr0py

Sounds like EA is going to co-opt the name "Bioware" the same way 2K co-opted Rockstar. Well, they already have really, only their even less upfront about it than 2K/Rockstar Games. What is always labeled simply as "Bioware" may have been made by one of 4 separate studios; BioWare Edmonton, BioWare Austin, BioWare Mythic, and BioWare Montreal.  

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"
61. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 4, 2011, 00:04 entr0py

necrosis wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 22:27:
I had a Steam account for almost 2 years before I actually used it. Registered when it first came out but didn't get my first Steam game (HL2) till years later. Did the same thing with Twitter. Had an account around when it came out, never used it till I got a iPhone.

Canning accounts if you don't use them on a service that is loaded with DRM? Achievements are moot. I lost my Quake Live account because I didn't use it for a while. Never got a notice or was warned it was going to nuked. Lost my achievement for playing the beta and enduring its teething issues. Bigcry

I haven't used my EA Downloader account since the Northern Strike booster pack for BF2142 5 years ago, and Origin still it and the BF2 booster packs my games list, ready for download. I think the lawyer types insert these clauses routinely to protect the company as much as possible. Even the Steam terms of service state that they can take your games at any time for any reason. If any digital distributor ACTUALLY behaved as badly as their lawyers permit them to, no one would use them.

Steam TOS:

C. Termination by Valve.
2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

News Comments > Sid Meier on Social Gaming
3. Re: Sid Meier on Social Gaming Aug 3, 2011, 00:08 entr0py

I don't blame Sid for wanting some of that sweet facebook money. And as long as it's a fraction of what they do I won't be bitter about them diversifying.

But, civ world was just terrible. I thought maybe fraxis would take a chance on facebook gamers and present them with a deep and enjoyable game and see what happens. But instead they embraced every form of facebook cancer, and made something that seems scientifically engineered to be unenjoyable.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access
16. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 2, 2011, 23:43 entr0py

eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:28:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 20:14:
Been playing the alpha, great fun and runs on my laptop smoothly.
The alpha was supposedly only running DX9 and locked at low settings (or at least settings lower than maximum). My only complaint with the graphics was that they were kind of bland, hopefully that changes with DX11 and higher settings, but even at DX9 it looked pretty damn good.

I don't think that's true. They're not making a DX9 version at all, why would they create one just for testing? The few people running XP who got invites were bitching on the forums about it not working for them.

Besides, it seemed like DX10+ effects were a core part of gameplay. Like the blurring from suppression or the blinding glare from sniper scopes and laser sights. I don't think DX9 could force the sort of effects I saw. And if you could turn them off that would be a cheat.

875 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo