Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 875 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta This Month
21. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 17:07 entr0py

Teddy wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:49:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:45:
Though I have to say that being required to Alt-Tab out of the game to join a new MP game through your browser+plugin has to absolutely take the trophy for smoothness.

Creston

It's a bit more awkward, sure but it also works faster than you can swap servers in BC2 or BF2.

I don't think you can alt-tab out. It's designed so that you close the game client every time you leave a server, and restart it every time you join a server. But again as Teddy mentioned, the entire process is still faster than switching servers in any previous Battlefield game. And the web-based server browser has more features than previous in-game browsers. For example, you can join simultaneously with your friends as a squad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2011, 19:41 entr0py

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 16:27:
Fallout turned into a good sandbox action-rpg series. I could see a good squad-based X-Com game come out of a setup like that.

As a straight up FPS, no, I'm not interested. That's like the cheapest way out there is.

I don't know, I think I would have liked it better if Bethesda had created a new IP for their "Oblivion with guns" game concept, and kept Fallout a tactical, turn based, overhead-perspective RPG.

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 PC vs Console Map Design
4. Re: On Battlefield 3 PC vs Console Map Design Sep 18, 2011, 18:05 entr0py

... and an outlook on how map design is influenced by being able to play with 64 players on the PC and 32 on consoles

Blue, maybe you should throw in a (sic) after "32 players on consoles". IGN is wrong, only 24 players will be supported on consoles.

Here are about a dozen confirmations of the 24 player cap from DICE:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5459078.page

It also contains a very through explanation of why they can't support a higher player count. It's not just the frame-rate issues, both Microsoft and Sony limit how much bandwidth can be sent to any player in any game.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2011, 18:20.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Patch Nears
28. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Patch Nears Sep 18, 2011, 15:27 entr0py

The theory that recon is popular due in large part to mortars seems plausible to me. EA did a poll during the BF3 alpha that had thousands of respondents, and recon was the least popular of all classes, about half as popular as assault alone. There were no mortars in the alpha.

Also, it does get irritating how people think that recon and sniper are the same thing. I never use a sniper rifle, but it can be great fun to run around like a maniac with a Thompson and some det packs.

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Patch Nears
13. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Patch Nears Sep 17, 2011, 21:13 entr0py

jamiedj99 wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 19:54:
oddly enough if this was a exclusive origin perches would they not need to upload it to origin servers then patch a copy of the game to see if it works before rolling out to everone. or they useing the patch and prey system with origin like when you shoot and spay and pray

I don't know what you're talking about man, but as far as I know games distributed through Origin just use the default install directory and file structure. So, unlike Steam, the standard patch for any game will simply work as well with Origin as it would with a game installed from DVD. I hope they won't copy Steam's DRM model in the future.

News Comments > BF3 Beta Waiting MS & Sony?
2. Re: PC BF3 Beta Waiting MS & Sony? Sep 15, 2011, 20:38 entr0py

That's irritating that they insist on the betas being the exact same length and dates so as not to hurt the feelings of console players. What about my feelings? Do you ever think of that EA?

And this just encourages my suspicion that we won't be getting a 64 player map for the beta, again, only to avoid making console players jealous.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Modes Detailed
5. Re: Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Modes Detailed Sep 15, 2011, 16:12 entr0py

Good to know there are 32 player versions of the conquest maps. That way server operators can mix rush and conquest maps in the rotation if they want to.  

News Comments > Diablo III Lag-Free?
51. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 22:55 entr0py

It seems like this sort of implementation absolutely requires the client making certain predictions and assumptions. Which just trades accuracy for apparent ping.

For your fight with a mob to be "lag free" the game has to assume that, say, none of the players throw a fireball at your mob. If one of them does, then it has to retroactively correct for a mistaken assumption. That makes for weird inconsistencies and rubber-banding. Which can be just as aggravating as playing a game that runs at the ping of the slowest player.

News Comments > Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic
33. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 03:32 entr0py

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 22:51:
Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic

Because after 5 years of development there was no way to fit this in.

Actually, the more I think about it, you'd actually have to code an exception to prevent same gender relationships, doing more work to prevent it than allow it.

That might be true with other games where the player character is a mute avatar. But in TOR the player character is fully voiced and animated in conversations. Meaning they would need to record thousands of lines of additional dialogue among the 16 class/gender combinations. As well as lip synching and other animation for each conversation.

At least; that's what they'd need to do to match the number of hetero options. But I just think it's cool they'll be recording gay and lesbian options with companion characters in the future.

News Comments > DICE: PC is Battlefield 3 "Lead Platform"
12. Re: DICE: PC is Battlefield 3 Sep 13, 2011, 22:12 entr0py

The lack of an in game server browser doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Because I realized that the time it takes to load a map and get in the game actually seemed substantially shorter in the BF3 alpha than the map loading time in previous battlefield games. If the process is faster overall, I don't actually care that the client has to shut down and restart every time you switch servers.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 22:17.

News Comments > Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic
25. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 20:00 entr0py

I played a smuggler in the weekend event, and I did think it was fun that there were a few flirtatious options with female NPCs. Much like real life, most of the women weren't down for it. I guess they were too concerned with their kidnapped family members, or whatever it is quest NPCs are always on about. And the ones that do flirt with you are mostly devious and have some ulterior motive, but it seems fitting for a smuggler with bad luck.

As for gay options, they're pretty popular in Bioware games, and not just with gay people. Plus I imagine that little bit of validation might be a selling point for gay gamers who know how rare it is.

News Comments > Saint's Row: The Third Trailer
6. Re: Saint's Row: The Third Trailer Sep 12, 2011, 23:02 entr0py

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 20:40:
I've been attempting to play Saints Row 2 on the PC (with fixes) and I just hope/pray the PC version is properly ported this time.

Well, it was CD Projekt Localization Centre who butchered and abandoned the PC port. As long as they don't use them again there's hope.

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Trailer; Lots of DLC Planned
7. Re: Saints Row: The Third Trailer; Lots of DLC Planned Sep 9, 2011, 00:47 entr0py

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 21:45:
40 weeks of DLC. Yay.

So included in the actual game itself is... a Start menu?

Creston

Yeah these pre launch DLC announcements always leave a bad taste, and make you suspect they're holding things back.

But I do believe it's actually possible for a developer to provide more than enough content in the retail release, while having DLC ready day one. If so we don't really have much to complain about. It all depends on if they deliver.

News Comments > 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC
2. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 7, 2011, 22:25 entr0py

So, it sounds like they're counting $1 mobile games as a sale. Kind of meaningless when they're comparing apples to oranges even in their projection.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 17:47 entr0py

Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 15:23:
I really doubt EA is limiting copies of this game, they need it to sell huge considering the scope of their investment into it. That sounds more like marketing talk.

The real test will be if there are very long queues like most big MMO launches, if so that will be evidence that they didn't match their sales to their server capacity.

If they do run out of stock before launch, that will be absolute proof that they really did limit it. Though the opposite wouldn't be true if they don't sell out, because it's possible to have a limit which isn't reached.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2011, 14:35 entr0py

Jay wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 12:45:
that can't possibly an official Nintendo peripheral. Looks real ugly.
Why couldn't they have put the analog nub on the right side to begin with? I mean I get that most people are right-handed and they might be holding a stylus instead, but imagine how easy it would've been for games that don't require a stylus.

Well, they speculate that is may exist only for Monster Hunter, a game made and published by Capcom. Seems like that would make it a 3rd party peripheral.

News Comments > Valve Games on Origin
25. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 16:32 entr0py

The tax system for online sales is a bit of a cluster here in the US. But EA has no choice in it, they're just following the law.

Basically, if a company does not have offices in a particular state, they are not required to charge sales tax on sales made to that state. Valve has physical offices in Washington, so Washington residents are the only ones who have to pay sales tax for ordering through Steam. EA has offices all over the damn place, so in many states you'll be charged sales tax.

News Comments > Valve Games on Origin
22. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:59 entr0py

Frijoles wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:37:
Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:13:
I checked the FAQ for TOR and indeed when you pay the $5 you are paying a fee so that a copy will be available to you when you go to purchase the game

I hate it when they run out of 1s and 0s and have to make more. Good thing we have that $5 charge.

Fuck EA.

They're only going to have a finite number of servers at launch. If they sold every copy they possibly could, there would probably be massive queues like many other MMO launches.

And the $5 refundable downpayment is still a hell of a lot better than steam, which charges the full price the moment you preorder. But not as good as Amazon, which takes preorders with no money down.

News Comments > Team Bondi Offices Close
9. Re: Team Bondi Offices Close Sep 2, 2011, 18:04 entr0py

tony wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 12:28:
As selfish of me as it is to say or think this... I hope this does not affect the PC version of LA Noire.

Naw it was announced after everyone knew Team Bondi was going under. The PC version is being developed by Rockstar Leeds.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Details
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Details Sep 2, 2011, 15:43 entr0py

From what I've heard they are trying to invite different groups for each of the beta weekends. So if you didn't get in this time, you probably will on one of the other weekends.

Anyway, if you didn't get in but want a taste of the early game, Cynical Brit recently did a half hour walkthrough with an low level sith warrior. It definitely made me want to start playing.

http://www.cynicalbrit.com/videos/hyper-wtf-is-star-wars-the-old-republic/

875 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo