Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 893 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive Layoffs Follow-up
26. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 22:04 entr0py

PHJF wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 21:41:
I have some shitty-ass Charter connection and Gaikai worked reasonably well with it. It would be useful as a rental service, if nothing else. It's basically the only way you COULD rent PC games.

And in the age when demos are considered a luxury, streaming is the best option of allowing people to try a game. It would be completely easy to let people play anything free for thirty minutes or so, then you can charge per day/week to rent things, and then the best system would let users outright buy and download games. If Steam had a streaming trial system I'd probably use it all the time.

I agree the on demand demos on Gaikai are nice when you just what to see what a game is like quickly. But it's so blurry and laggy I wouldn't want to seriously play a game that way.

And, PC rentals would be great, but why should streaming be the only way to accomplish it? There are plenty of DRM schemes that require an always online connection, they could make a full installable client that is only authorized to work during the rental period. That would be the only application that could justify always online DRM in a single player game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FDSL Enables Used Digital Game Sales
5. Re: FDSL Enables Used Digital Game Sales Aug 13, 2012, 15:31 entr0py

I'd certainly buy more PC games if they didn't become worthless the second you buy them. Someone should try this in the US even if they are not legally forced to.

I wonder if German online retailers could get around this by very clearly labeling the games as fullprice rentals.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2012, 15:58.

News Comments > Painkiller: Hell & Damnation Closed Beta
9. Re: Painkiller: Hell & Damnation Closed Beta Aug 2, 2012, 23:03 entr0py

Apparently it's not a sequel, it's a remake with some changes. It couldn't be worse than the cash-ins that dreamcatcher has released over the last few years, but that's about the lowest bar imaginable.

http://worthplaying.com/event/E3_2012/PostE3_2012/86392/

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
74. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 02:11 entr0py

I'm sorry but a "you can't sue us if we break the law" clause is goofy. I don't know why businesses think it will hold up in court, but I'm eager to see them proven wrong.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
12. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:41 entr0py

I hope I'm wrong about this but the screen shots just look sort of like they applied some Photoshop filters to everything. It would be nice to see a high resolution video. And to know the new native resolution for that matter.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer
6. Re: Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Trailer Jul 19, 2012, 22:13 entr0py

I do like how they split their first two DLC packs by gameplay. I'm happy to buy this one, and happy to not buy the last one.  

News Comments > BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required
30. Re: BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required Jul 18, 2012, 15:25 entr0py

It's a shame that they seem to have abandoned making proper expansion packs in favor of DLC packs that are a fraction of the scope. The previous Battlefield games had memorable expansion packs that really expanded the life of the game and were worth $30.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
28. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 14:52 entr0py

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 12:43:
Still better then EA where you loose access to your games for talking shit on their forums !

My impression is that that guy who got his EA account banned from online play just didn't know how to switch to Origin's offline mode, but always had access to all the games he bought in single-player. If you actually need for Ubi DRM servers to be up to play a single player game, this is much worse.

It's almost like the whole industry decided to add another step to installing PC games; go download a crack.

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 3 DLC Next Week
11. Re: Free Mass Effect 3 DLC Next Week Jul 12, 2012, 01:57 entr0py

Every time they announce they have another multi-player booster pack nearly ready and free, I'm surprised.

The first time I figured they were doing it to generate good will to counter the ending hubub. Now I wonder if people actually buy the treasure chests with real money. I guess I don't mind a business model that is free for the vast majority, but charges the stupidly impatient and wealthy.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 17:29 entr0py

Teddy wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:34:
entr0py wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:50:
nin wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 13:42:
That's nice, but it doesn't make up for the fact that they didn't do beta weekends as often as they said they would, after basically charging players for the privilege.

How many did they say they were going to do?

They were planning to do about 1 a month, but most months it was delayed by a week or two. So basically it added up to one less weekend event than they implied at the start of the per-purchase scheme.

You mean aside from the fact that there was one beta weekend in may, one in June and now one in July and the release is in august? Last I checked, that's exactly 1 per month from the point they started accepting pre-purchases. If you assumed something else, that's your own failure of logic, not something they 'implied' and certainly not something they 'promised'.

It's not that complicated, the first beta event started April 27th, and the game will be released August 28th. If you believe that's a three month span of time, I don't want to argue.

You're right though that they made a fuzzy commitment by stating their intentions. So not strictly a broken promise. But my point is that player irritation at this is greatly amplified because many feel that pre-paying for beta entitles us to what was advertised, and obligates them in a way they brought upon themselves.

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 14:50 entr0py

nin wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 13:42:
That's nice, but it doesn't make up for the fact that they didn't do beta weekends as often as they said they would, after basically charging players for the privilege.

How many did they say they were going to do?

They were planning to do about 1 a month, but most months it was delayed by a week or two. So basically it added up to one less weekend event than they implied at the start of the per-purchase scheme.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 13:38 entr0py

That's nice, but it doesn't make up for the fact that they didn't do beta weekends as often as they said they would, after basically charging players for the privilege. Once you're paying in advance for beta, not getting as much of it as you were promised feels like a rip off.  

News Comments > Molyneux's "Game" Next Month
13. Re: Molyneux's "Game" Next Month Jul 7, 2012, 02:31 entr0py

Screw you guys, I want to pick away at a cube. And pay to do so!  

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
41. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 12:31 entr0py

A lot of people are loyal to us and we need to reward them with that stickiness

That is . . . a strange choice of words. I believe this man is some sort of sex pervert.

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora Funded
4. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora Funded Jun 11, 2012, 21:42 entr0py

SlimRam wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 20:44:
"My GOD Murphy, you look like HELL"

Good stuff there and glad they are bringing back Tex. I think i finished 'Martian Memorandum' and I got a good way through 'Under a Killing Moon' (great game). I hope they bring back the same guy that played him in 'Killing', his delivery was dry and spot on. They need to make him an old, burnt out, drunk.....kinda like Max Payne but without the bullet time

I just looked it up, Chris Jones is the creator of the series, has always starred as Tex Murphy, and owned the company back in their hayday. And yes he's going to continue in the lead roll in the kickstarted game.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
20. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 00:33 entr0py

If it ends up looking and performing like the console version, only at a higher resolution, they might be able to make up for that shortcoming. Ultimately what matters is that the game is fun; I can handle a somewhat retro looking game that's a blast to play.  

News Comments > John Carmack's VR Headset
7. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 6, 2012, 23:53 entr0py

Unlike 3D, good VR really is an incredibly impressive and immerse experience. I've been waiting 20 years for some company to figure out how to bring it into people's homes. It seems like over the next few years advancing display technology and next generation consoles may finally make it possible at a price normal people can afford.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month
16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 4, 2012, 17:52 entr0py

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 17:26:
Blizzard absolutely calls WoW FREE TO PLAY* on all their advertisements.
*Up to level 20

Yeah, I was about to mention that. It seems strange that publishers of premium MMOs want to misappropriate the term "free to play". When I hear free to play I just think it's low quality and supported by constant microtransactions. I'd be much more interested in a "free trial" or "demo".

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Demo
7. Re: Batman: Arkham City Demo Jun 1, 2012, 03:49 entr0py

Fion wrote on May 31, 2012, 23:13:
I got this game when it hit from Greenmangaming. Unfortunately thanks to their craptastic 'manditory' program, the game would never install and I went round and round with them to get it fixed and it never did (I tried again a few weeks ago). As you can imagine it put me off the company.

I'm hoping to see the game on steam cheap maybe this winter.

Yes the Green Man Gaming download client is unbelievably bad. Fortunately the last game I bought there, Mass Effect 3, came with a code that let me alternately just plug it into Origin and download there. I think Steam games have a similar system. I would never recommend buying a game at GMG unless they're really just selling you a discounted code for some other service.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
36. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks Jun 1, 2012, 00:01 entr0py

Has anyone else noticed this makes no damn sense? GFWL completely useless as DRM, that's not what it's designed for. Unlike Steam, you can play any GFWL game in single player without ever going online or creating an online account. Not even a single time with the first install.

It would make sense to require GFWL only if they were using it for matchmaking or persistent achievements. But that must not be the case if the Steam version is GFWL free. Or did they actually go to the work of creating two alternate forms of matchmaking/achievements?

893 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo