Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 875 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Demo
7. Re: Batman: Arkham City Demo Jun 1, 2012, 03:49 entr0py

Fion wrote on May 31, 2012, 23:13:
I got this game when it hit from Greenmangaming. Unfortunately thanks to their craptastic 'manditory' program, the game would never install and I went round and round with them to get it fixed and it never did (I tried again a few weeks ago). As you can imagine it put me off the company.

I'm hoping to see the game on steam cheap maybe this winter.

Yes the Green Man Gaming download client is unbelievably bad. Fortunately the last game I bought there, Mass Effect 3, came with a code that let me alternately just plug it into Origin and download there. I think Steam games have a similar system. I would never recommend buying a game at GMG unless they're really just selling you a discounted code for some other service.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
36. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks Jun 1, 2012, 00:01 entr0py

Has anyone else noticed this makes no damn sense? GFWL completely useless as DRM, that's not what it's designed for. Unlike Steam, you can play any GFWL game in single player without ever going online or creating an online account. Not even a single time with the first install.

It would make sense to require GFWL only if they were using it for matchmaking or persistent achievements. But that must not be the case if the Steam version is GFWL free. Or did they actually go to the work of creating two alternate forms of matchmaking/achievements?

News Comments > Star Wars Game Announcement This Week
27. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 03:00 entr0py

What, only one Star Wars game this year? That is newsworthy.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
23. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 28, 2012, 17:00 entr0py

mag wrote on May 28, 2012, 12:11:
entr0py wrote on May 27, 2012, 23:13:
Nintendo is in a tough spot since they do not have the sort of massive corporate empire that would allow them to sell consoles at a loss like Sony and Microsoft. It seems like a smart play for them to take advantage of the one year window where they can sell an affordable console that's more powerful than the aging competition. But I don't know if that one year is going to be enough.

Nintendo is sitting on about $13 billion, which is much less than Microsoft but much more than Sony.

No that's incredibly far off, check out Wikipedia. It breaks down like this.

Total assets

Microsoft $108.7 Billion

Sony $167.3 Billion

Nintendo $20.1 Billion

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2012, 23:13 entr0py

Nintendo is in a tough spot since they do not have the sort of massive corporate empire that would allow them to sell consoles at a loss like Sony and Microsoft. It seems like a smart play for them to take advantage of the one year window where they can sell an affordable console that's more powerful than the aging competition. But I don't know if that one year is going to be enough.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 26, 2012, 00:58 entr0py

I think the negative finding about gamepads is far more interesting. Twiddling a thumbstick does not help you aim a gun. That isn't surprising to me, but it is important to help counter the bullshit of Anders Behring Breivik.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack DLC Next Week
22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack DLC Next Week May 24, 2012, 19:41 entr0py

Another free DLC pack? Awesome, keep them coming.  

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
73. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:50 entr0py

Blizzard has become a lot like Apple. They make very well crafted and unique products that come with unreasonable terms of use that customers wouldn't tolerate from any other company.  

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
177. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 04:13 entr0py

Yes you're right, I was going to come back and correct what I said, but you did a better job than I would have. I think they have set it up that way to try to try to get players more invested in individual characters, and ensure that there is a steady progression of better loot all the way up to Inferno. All designed to get us to care about the auction house. I genuinely think the game will be much more enjoyable when and if some group creates a good server emulator.

eunichron wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:47:
Dev wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:17:
entr0py wrote on May 22, 2012, 01:15:
That is absolutely my No. 1 complaint about the game as well. In order to play on any of the fun difficulty levels you have to complete the entire game on normal (easy) once for EVERY character class. I was expecting all the online hassles, but I never thought they could screw up the difficulty so badly. It just about single-handedly ruins the game, it's not any fun this way.
Wait. WTF!? Easy on EVERY CHARACTER class? I thought I'd only need to play it once ever. How freaking boring is that. D2 wasn't that way I don't think.

I think his wording was a bit off... you don't have to complete normal with every class to play Nightmare/Hell/Inferno at all, you only have to complete it for that specific character. There is a linear progression, i.e. to play Hell you have to defeat Nightmare, to play Inferno you have to defeat Hell and be level 60 (max level). Diablo 2 was that way as well, and the reasoning is that the health and damage of the mobs are scaled up, as are the item drops (essentially the first mob in Normal is level 1, the first mob in Nightmare would be level 30). However, unlike Diablo 2, in Diablo 3 once you beat Normal you don't have to do the quests or acts in order on subsequent difficulties. For example I was just in a coop Nightmare game with a friend, we were on Act III, we were level 46-ish. Our third friend jumped in with his level 36 Witch Doctor who had only completed Act I Nightmare, but he was able to join us when we were half way through Act III. It also seems that our other friend got an experience boost as he caught up to us in levels fairly quickly. We finished all of Act III and he was level 43 or 44 while we were both 49.

I believe only Diablo 1 allowed you to choose a difficulty starting from level 1, but if I remember correctly you still had to complete the game on Normal with any character before you could play the harder difficulties.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
168. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 01:15 entr0py

That is absolutely my No. 1 complaint about the game as well. In order to play on any of the fun difficulty levels you have to complete the entire game on normal (easy) once for EVERY character class. I was expecting all the online hassles, but I never thought they could screw up the difficulty so badly. It just about single-handedly ruins the game, it's not any fun this way.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 22, 2012, 00:21 entr0py

Those stats about Chrome are incredibly far off from the site referenced further down in the story http://www.netmarketshare.com/ Which has IE pegged at over twice Chrome's market share and rising. Makes you wonder which of their sources are more reliable.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 MP DLC Revealed?
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 MP DLC Revealed? May 16, 2012, 23:06 entr0py

Creston wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:36:
Grumpy Sod wrote on May 16, 2012, 17:45:
and six new classes: Quarian Engineer and Infiltrator..

Yes, those are new... oO

P.S. Yes, I know I'm meant to bitch about EA, sorry

I believe they're meant to signify Male Quarians. Why that's considered a different race, I have no idea.

Creston

In the last expansion pack there was two types of Asari adept, each with her own unique set of powers and distinct look. Sort of like sub-classes. It could be that again, but I bet you're right that they're males.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 23:12.

News Comments > Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month
1. Re: Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month May 15, 2012, 20:44 entr0py

It would be cool if game retailers were ever held accountable for false advertizing when they just make things like this up out of thin air. It's obvious the only reason to do this is to deceive customers.

It's more understandable when there's some previously announced release date that the retailer got confused by. But that's definitely not what happened here.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
72. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:33 entr0py

Dmitri_M wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:15:
How invasive is the required internet connection for SP?

I'm on a handcranked internet connection in the centre of the jungle. Is it just a once off login or something more..diabolical?

Diabolical. It's not just a check at the beginning, every moment needs to be authenticated with the server, and if there's too much lag you can experience rubber-banding in single-player. Think of it like an MMO instance with a population of you.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 13:20 entr0py

eh, nevermind, I don't know how to read tweets. I was going to say something about the steam overlay. I guess he didn't answer the specific question.

http://twitter.com/#!/Angryrobotics/status/201405207039578113

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
27. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 00:27 entr0py

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:41:
Sepharo wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:37:
DangerDog wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:30:
It's going to be "hell" trying to play this game the first few weeks.

just read the joys of server lag and auto-disconnects over on rockpapershotgun.

So just play singleplayer.

Single-player requires a log-in and constant online connection just like multiplayer. If you lose your connection, you get booted out of the game (and will likely lose progress) even if you're playing single-player. It's basically the same as UbiDRM, only people are ignoring that fact because it's Diablo 3.

I wouldn't say we ignore it because it's Diablo 3, we only tolerate it because it's Diablo 3.

It's actually much much worse than UbiDRM. I played the last HOMM game in beta. Your every action wasn't checked with the server, and I never got disconnected or experienced any lag. Unlike my brief playthrough of the Diablo III beta demo which had rubber-banding and disconnects.

But most importantly, you could still play truly offline games with a fairly mild penalty in equipment. If Blizzard just had a similar offline option, I'd be happy.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2012, 02:27.

News Comments > Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer
8. Re: Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer May 11, 2012, 19:00 entr0py

I always suspected that Cyanide Studio massively lucked out and got the rights to the game well before the HBO series, and this confirms it. Honestly, I hope it was just a two game deal and the property can now be passed on to some more capable developer. They just don't have a good track record or much of a budget.

http://www.metacritic.com/company/cyanide?page=0

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
55. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 7, 2012, 04:07 entr0py

Quboid wrote on May 6, 2012, 17:49:
There's just something fundamentally wrong with making us buy something on the disc we've already bought. That's an insult.

I'm reminded of the the Quake shareware CD from 16 years ago. It was awesome, it cost $5 and contained the shareware version of quake, as well as the full versions of every id Software game to date, you just had to call a 1-800 number and pay to activate them.

It would have been a great idea if it weren't cracked within the year. But my point is that this is hardly a new idea.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2012, 04:32.

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
19. Re: Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc? May 6, 2012, 17:09 entr0py

TychoCelchuuu wrote on May 6, 2012, 15:51:
It's a problem because the "D" in "DLC" stands for "downloaded" or "downloadable" or whatever, and the reason it stands for that is because they traditionally couldn't have non-downloaded DLC because it was content released after the game came out, and thus it couldn't be on the disc. So it was fine to pay extra for it because you bought they game, then they made more stuff for it, so you bought that.

The Blend games article explains that a portion of the content (the audio) isn't on the disk and must be downloaded. So even if they advertize it explicitly using the term DLC, they can get away with it.

In this case, they've made them game, then arbitrarily sectioned off some part of it so they can charge you more for it. This makes people annoyed because it's not clear why this stuff couldn't just come with the original game.

How do you know they didn't make 120% of a game and carefully sectioned off the extra part? DLC being on the disk definitely looks suspicious. But it's not impossible for them to just delay the release of a game long enough to also finish the first DLC.

News Comments > Free Radical on LucasArts and Battlefront III
16. Re: Free Radical on LucasArts and Battlefront III<br> A <a href= May 5, 2012, 20:56 entr0py

"...LucasArts actually wanted their ambitious plans for Star Wars: Battlefront III to fail. Here's what he says about the sequel where the idea was that "players could seamlessly transition from a small-scale gunfight into a space battle simply by climbing into a ship and taking off""

Wasn't there a Star Wars Battlefield 1942 mod 10 years ago that was a lot like that? Or maybe I'm thinking of one of the unreal tournament games.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2012, 21:03.

875 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo