Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 875 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
53. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 22:46 entr0py

The fact that all of the newer consoles run on AMD hardware should give Mantle an enormous boost in adoption from nearly every multi-platform game.

On the other hand, DICE basically co-developed Mantle, so it makes sense that BF4 is highly optimized for it. Who knows if it will provide that sort of performance increase in other games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking
29. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 01:43 entr0py

Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
45. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 1, 2013, 00:50 entr0py

Yeah, a high end gaming PC should be better when you're paying 4x as much. The advantages of consoles are a far lower price, resealable, shareable and rentable games, and certain exclusives. But I don't think anyone claims the newer consoles have superior processing power.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 18, 2013, 22:38 entr0py

killer_roach wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:44:
Taskeen wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:36:
I'm glad the TPP was leaked by whatever peeps on the inside. Thank you insiders for recognizing this heinous bill made by dickbags in secret.

I immediately get wary of any "trade agreement" that Venezuela is actually wanting to be a part of (they haven't been invited to sign on, but they want in on it). Their government is almost a flawless weathervane for indicating bad ideas.

If so someone should probably let them know what the first P stands for. They'll be so embarrassed.

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
14. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 11:10 entr0py

Honestly, I don't know how QTE's are still such a common thing in games. Developers need to remember where they came from in the first place : Dragon's Lair. They are buttons you need to press so that the video will keep playing. Rather than doing that to force us to pay attention, just make a cinematic we don't mind watching.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage
29. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage Nov 15, 2013, 02:12 entr0py

Seems like it's moving in the right direction what with the large environments, non-scaling mob difficulty and tactical view. I was worried at first that it looked completely actiony. But like the previous games it seems pausing and issuing commands will be needed for higher difficulties. Even Baldur's Gate wasn't turn based, but felt like it if you paused enough, so that's a good middle ground.

DA2 suffered from a few poor design decisions, inadequate funding and a rushed deadline. But the series is salvageable if they correct for those.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2013, 02:19.

News Comments > Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games
3. Re: Australian Ratings Reconsidered for 12 Games Nov 7, 2013, 14:16 entr0py

So, what are the restrictions on R18+ games?  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 2, 2013, 16:48 entr0py

For Microsoft developed games, they genuinely do have control over what is transmitted over the network, and if video is never transmitted, it also can't be intercepted. As for 3rd party software, I would imagine sending a video stream would be something that wouldn't be hard to detect, and not really in the interest of game developers to do that in secret anyway.

Now, Skype calls are a whole other story, I'd be surprised if spy agencies aren't capable of monitoring them.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
12. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 14:37 entr0py

Flak wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 13:34:
Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 12:53:
The largest issue I have is the resolution.

If this is the largest issue of the dev build version, I am very optimistic about the future of HMDs. 1080p is more than likely the resolution for the first consumer release and I recently read that Oculus is toying around with 4k, although that would still obviously be a ways off.

Very excited for this technology, real life, what's that? Alien

9601080 per eye would still be half the resolution we're used to seeing, then magnified to fill your field of view. I'm kind of worried that would be a jarring step back. I believe another option they've talked about is separate screens for each eye, each at 19201080. I think I would hold out for that.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Offline Mode "Designed to be Indefinite"
29. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 2, 2013, 02:21 entr0py

That's a "bug" which, as far as I know, has been around since the beginning of steam. If it's unintentional, we can still be confident it's not going to be fixed. So it's a moot point.

But what's a bigger issue than the required periodic check-in is that you must be online in order to activate Steam's offline mode. This is absolutely by design, and makes the offline mode useless unless you plan to lose your internet connection and have the foresight to switch modes.

Seriously, I don't know of another digital distribution platform with these problems. Downloaded single player console games work when you go unexpectedly offline, and so did GFWL games. I bet even Origin still lets you play your games if you go offline without warning.

EDIT: I just did a little test by pulling the network cable then restarting and trying Origin. It goes right into offline mode, and Battlefield 4 single player still works.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2013, 02:45.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 20:42 entr0py

I don't usually have any praise for Activision, but it's cool that they didn't gimp the PS4 version of Ghosts so as not to upset Microsoft. I would imagine MS isn't happy about this blow coming right before release.  

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
35. Re: CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM Oct 24, 2013, 00:59 entr0py

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 00:39:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 19:08:
I think the main topic is more that it's only 720p on Xbox One while 1080p on PS4, since this is mainly a console shooter. I think maybe the devs can't handle XBOne's ESRAM?

Wow.. so I really made the right choice buying the PS4. It just seems to be the better machine all around.

Well, it's just a rumor at this point, people making guesses based on gameplay videos. If it were true that would certainly be a blow to Microsoft, but it sounds unlikely.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns
32. Re: TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns Oct 22, 2013, 00:34 entr0py

Riker wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 22:51:
Quboid wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 19:27:
TotalBiscuit's job is his YouTube videos, I think it's fair to describe it as monetized and I don't think TB disputes that. He's giving the money from the original DOGI video and his response video to the EFF.
Sure, but that's his right. Do they think that reviewers are doing volunteer work? People can choose to review whatever they want, with or without the publisher's cooperation or blessing, and they're entitled to make money off that work without harassment or interference.

Well, the whole monitization argument is just a lame attempt on the part of Wild Games' CEO to provide cover for his actions. There were plenty of other Youtube reviews of the game, some with over a hundred thousand views, and this was the only one that received a takedown notice.

It just sounds marginally better than "yes, we tried to abuse copyright law to silence negative press"

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
12. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 17:36 entr0py

I hope they only patented their implementation, and not the concept of synchronizing a monitor's refresh rate to the video signal.

An open standard would definitely be better for customers, even loyal nvidia customers.

News Comments > Extraction Closed Beta
1. Re: Extraction Closed Beta Oct 16, 2013, 02:54 entr0py

Don't know what to think. Splash damage has produced some good games, like RtCW:ET and ET:QW, but Nexon has never produced anything good.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014
34. Re: Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014 Oct 15, 2013, 19:16 entr0py

Wow, I'll have to consider canceling my PS4 preorder now. It doesn't look like there will be anything worth while this year.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Opens
29. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 15:28 entr0py

For me the worst bit is it stutters every time something interesting happens, like a gun being fired. But as long as I stay away from the violent parts of the game, the frame rate is just tolerable.  

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Will Happen, Eventually
18. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Will Happen, Eventually Oct 3, 2013, 19:25 entr0py

They have never made a single player component for a battlefield game that shouldn't be scrapped. Which is fine, if they keep experimenting maybe at some point they'll hit on something good. But getting bogged down with the same set of wacky stereotype characters doesn't seem like a good plan.

That said, I digged BFBC2 due to the multiplayer. If that works well it salvages the experience.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
39. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 28, 2013, 01:29 entr0py

DangerDog wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 00:57:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 00:08:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:16:
How would you use the touchpad while using an Oculus?

Yeah, the touchpad might be a trick, but not the rest of it. But even looking at the Portal 2 layout, it looks like the position of the buttons on the touchpad would be clickable by feel.

I guess it could give you audio ques for which button quadrant you're on, it looks like it'll have 4 squares to program.

or you could just do something like this

http://imgur.com/YU2po57,hPFQrKn,6PkYRH8,2fm2NCZ#0

I doubt haptics would need to be involved to do any of that. Like with the left touchpad, it seems the diagram is saying touching close to the center is maped to WASD(walking), further out is WASD+LShift (sprint) and clicking is spacebar(jump). All pretty intuitive. The quadrants in the center are on the HD screen, so it could just display what they do.

Looks pretty promising over all. I really hope they've solved the problem of accurate mouse-like input on a couch friendly controller.

News Comments > GTA Online Microtransactions Confirmed
10. Re: GTA Online Microtransactions Confirmed Sep 26, 2013, 01:33 entr0py

"The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game."

If this is genuinely true and not bullshit, I have no real problem with them selling cash. The situation seems a bit like the early unlocks for sale in Battlefield 3. People who buy them are just robbing themselves of the enjoyment of unlocking things at the pace the developers intended, and feeling some sense of achievement and progression.

At least my impression is players can't sell each other items in GTA online. And that's the critical thing. If we're each in our own financial sandbox, there's no real economy to screw up.

875 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo