Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 902 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded
14. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded May 24, 2014, 20:45 entr0py

Wallshadows wrote on May 24, 2014, 16:43:
DICE has the best IP in their hands when EA gave them the task to reboot the Battlefront series on their Frostbite 3 engine.

Personally, one of my favorite Star Wars games was Republic Commando and it's a shame that it is as underrated as it was to not warrant any further development.

True, it has a lot of promise. I hope they manage to work in space battles. They could have a couple of board-able capital ships to give infantry something to do. I think one of the Star Wars total conversions for Battlefield 1942 had a setup like that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls Exploring GFWL Alternatives
6. Re: Dark Souls Exploring GFWL Alternatives May 20, 2014, 01:25 entr0py

I can't believe how much Microsoft dropped the ball with GFWL. They had this perfectly positioned platform for years, then did less with it than EA did with Origin in a few months. I wouldn't mind one more digital game store, it would only add to the competition on price.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 10, 2014, 18:57 entr0py

It seems like most of the investment advice givers have settled on the same prediction that Microsoft will cave on the Kinect. But, I don't think it's that likely.

The thing is, Microsoft has gotten developers to shoehorn in Kinect functionality by promising them emphatically that it is part of the console and will never go away. Dropping Kinect would create two huge problems, developers of existing games will lose access to new customers, and new customers won't have access to the back library of games. MS needs to do something about the price gap, but I don't think it will be to drop Kinect.

News Comments > Titanfall Expedition Swampland Map Details
4. Re: Titanfall Expedition Swampland Map Details May 9, 2014, 20:25 entr0py

Beelzebud wrote on May 9, 2014, 12:30:
They should really get the performance issues worked out before releasing another map with water in it.

Ah, so that's what it is that makes the island map nearly unplayable for me. Yeah, with such a skimpy initial offering it seems like they owe the early adopters some fixes and additions before they extract more money from us.

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
50. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 9, 2014, 09:10 entr0py

This is a fine idea as long as Epic puts enough time and resources into it to make the base game solid. Other developers can't be expected to fix the game, they can only be expected to add to the game.

As for how to avoid fragmentation, they could require that all maps and mutators be free. Then the paid DLC would be limited to character models, skins, weapons and vehicles. Server admins could choose which premium weapons/vehicles/classes to allow, but anyone could play on any server with the standard kit.

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
47. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 2, 2014, 03:25 entr0py

LurkerLito wrote on May 2, 2014, 02:15:
This is actually a tricky situation. AFAIK Zenimax can only claim rights to code that was developed on their time or equipment/software. So as long as Carmack gave them notification he was working on the VR project, got their permission, but wrote all code on his own hardware using his software that never was used for ZeniMax software, then ZeniMax owns nothing. But if even one piece of software on his system like a text editior, license of windows, etc... was owned by ZeniMax then they can claim they own everything he wrote.

A similar thing happened to me once. They wanted me to sign a non compete and it had clauses about ownership of written software. I had to get permission in writing about another project I was doing on my off time. My other project never went anywhere, but it was funny, that my boss at the time, was more than happy to "lend me" software under his license so "you don't have to spend money" and buy your own compiler lol. If that project went anywhere and I used his compiler even once, he'd own all the rights to the project.

Bottom line is this is all going to come down to what ZeniMax and Carmack agreed to in advance, then when and on what Carmack developed the code on. Many people have work computers, and use them for personal stuff, but just remember, by doing so you are transferring all your rights to your company. Got a great idea for something, make sure you write it down on paper you own/bought, with a pen/pencil you bought or own, because if you used a scrap of paper from work, or even their pen, the company will have legal claim on it.

Yeah, it is actually an interesting case, and who's in the right depends entirely on facts none of us have access to.

But, what if Carmack is telling the truth that he took no software with him. For the sake of argument assume he worked on the project on company time and hardware with their blessing, and took only ideas and insights with him, then recreated the software from that experience. And assume Zenimax is left with half-complete software they don't know how to finish or implement. Are they entitled to anything? Or was it their own fault for authorizing a project they couldn't realize without Carmack?

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag
8. Re: Battlefield 4 Servers Upgraded to Address Lag Apr 25, 2014, 11:03 entr0py

There's something I don't get about this story. My understanding is that Battlefield 4 PC has around 20 licensed ranked servers providers, none of which are EA. So, are they buying new hardware to be run by other companies? Or is this news that only effects console gamers?

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/rent-a-server

News Comments > Secret Ponchos PC Plans
8. Re: Secret Ponchos PC Plans Apr 10, 2014, 01:24 entr0py

Secret Ponchos PC Plans

Wait, so this story isn't about an upcoming PC you can conceal in your poncho? Way to get our hopes up.

News Comments > No Watch Dogs Demo
19. Re: No Watch Dogs Demo Apr 1, 2014, 02:08 entr0py

You're right, especially with modern 15-20 min demos, the only real point is to test performance and stability.

And if you're sure you want a game barring some unexpected compatibility or performance issue, just buy it from a retailer with a good return policy.

10 min later : Wow. Out of curiosity I checked Steam's return policy and it's basically no returns once the product is released.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-wejc-2625#refund

However Origin has a much more reasonable 24 hour window.

http://help.ea.com/en/article/returns-and-cancellations/

WTF Valve?

NKD wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 21:45:
Other than seeing how the shit runs on your computer, I don't really see the point in a demo in the age of Lets Plays and thousands of YouTubers to choose from, some of which probably shares your likes and dislikes in games almost exactly.

Wait for them to check the FULL game out, and make a decision accordingly. It's better than trusting a demo with cherry picked gameplay sequences and better yet, doesn't distract the dev team during crunch time for an already delayed game.

News Comments > Origins Ditches Discs
35. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 15:51 entr0py

Yeah, it would be a bit retarded to go to an online game store to buy a game disk. I'm pretty sure steam won't mail you disks either. It was a bit weird that Origin ever had that option to begin with.  

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced
3. Re: Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced Mar 29, 2014, 15:41 entr0py

"They say this will be $19.99, somewhat confusingly adding: "Each individual army will also be available as a standalone purchase for $12.99 "

Eh, it's not too confusing, I think they're just saying you can buy both of the new armies for $20 or any one army for $13. It is disappointing that it sounds like there's no single player campaign. But at least it's not priced as if there were; I bet Opposing Fronts was $40 at launch.

Still, I might pick up an army. $60 was too much for me when the game came out, but a $13 entry point I think I can swing.

News Comments > Women In Video Games Initiative
24. Re: Women In Video Games Initiative Mar 28, 2014, 21:23 entr0py

For the winning idea they have this borderline suspect looking scheme setup wherein they take more of the profit than the 'winner' does, and have a pre-selected Colombian outfit to outsource the game to. Plus they promise to donate most of the profit to charity, possibly in the form of bitcoin.

http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/profitBreakDown

Honestly it sounds like the 4 runner's up are getting something more valuable, but only if the writer and artist they have to work with are worth a damn.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2014, 19:29 entr0py

Kinect for Windows isn't targeted at gamers or average consumers. Instead it's more for researchers, robotics enthusiasts and retail kiosks. I wouldn't be surprised if Mircosoft makes no profit on it given how small the market is. But it does enable some pretty cool applications that have the potential to actually help people. There's no need to love Microsoft, but they seem to be doing a decent thing here.

Microsoft's product pitch

Kinect sign language translator

Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 14:51:
It's the new Kinect guys! Kinect 2.0! THIS device is really wonderful, and THIS device really can do all the things we've been saying the previous one was able to do, even though everyone knew we were just lying our asses off.

But THIS TIME it's for realz! Please buy one?

(Please ignore the fact that it really doesn't do much of what we're promising on the Xbone still.)

signed,
PeterandtheWolfSoft.

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
33. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 28, 2014, 02:15 entr0py

"On the House", "Check back soon for something new". Okay, that will be rad if they keep it up. Seems like a good way to get their store on more PCs, which is the real price. So long as origin isn't obtrusive, I'll take your free games.  

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
23. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 20, 2014, 01:50 entr0py

Why even throw in the $19 a month except to get headlines like this?

5% isn't bad, keep in mind "gross revenue" is absolutely all money from sales. Operating expenses, paychecks and refunds don't count.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 23:29 entr0py

Um, but Titanfall has a horrible server setup. Small player count, small maps, no player run servers or customization. "Microsoft Cloud" might be a step forward from peer-to-peer matchmaking that console peasants expect, but it's several steps back from the legendary dedicated server of the PC gaming master race.  

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD This Month
2. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD This Month Mar 13, 2014, 19:36 entr0py

Yeah, I don't know what became of Konami, but it seems like the only series they work on any more is Metal Gear. The entire Lords of Shadow series was outsourced to MercurySteam from the beginning; an independent developer based in Spain.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2014, 19:46.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 13, 2014, 17:05 entr0py

Prez wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:10:
I'm pretty sure he wasn't committing suicide over a fixed game. This was just the incident that turned out to be that proverbial straw. His life and mental state were probably already in shambles before this.

You're probably right. But some of these young professional players build their whole life and identity around it. Part of his suicide note was :

"I know I could have done better, but thanks to these events my professional career was over," he added. "After practicing to my best for a year, all I had left was a feeling of emptiness."

It's sad when you get to the point where a meaningless competition seems all important. But I imagine there are hardcore athletes in most sports who feel the same way.

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
49. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 02:44 entr0py

It makes you wonder if they couldn't just make it an option to decompress audio on disk with a little more work.

Also, it would be interesting to see how much of a performance gain, if any, there is on more than 2 core machines.

It doesn't bother me though, because I don't see any other games ever following suit.

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
14. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 10, 2014, 21:27 entr0py

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 19:28:
Anyone who is putting up a final review with a score for a multiplayer game before the public is able to access the servers should be ashamed. It's as if they learned nothing from SimCity and Battlefield 4. Controlled review environments do not represent the final environment. Giant Bomb has put a review up but without a score and have reserved the right to alter it accordingly after the public release before locking it as final. Anyone who has done otherwise shouldn't be trusted.

True, nor do I think a single 8 hour gaming session is enough to base a review of a game like this on.

The servers did have some problems in beta. I got a temporary "Waiting to reestablish connection" screen so often during gameplay that I mistakenly though it must be peer-to-peer and migrating hosts. Plus there were some dropped connections, but I'd say I only had trouble in about 1 in 5 games. Otherwise pretty responsive, which you should expect from 6v6.

902 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo