Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 893 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 15:23 entr0py

First of all, I think most male gamers would welcome women to gaming, and be happy that the hobby has becoming more mainstream. You can't let the existence of rude trolls on the internet convince you that all male gamers are dickheads. Any time you have an anonymous online community full of young people, the same thing will happen. Most mature male gamers avoid the Xbox 360 community for the same reason.

And, as for game characters that are meant to be sexy, it's okay just to ignore those games. You do the same thing all the time with books and movies. You may not like gross out comedies or romance novels, you may even find them asinine and adolescent, but you would never suggest that the publishing or film industries be homogenized to eliminate all crudeness.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg
69. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 01:17 entr0py

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:39:
Verno wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:27:
entr0py wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:03:
You don't know that Steam, Origin and GFWL all have offline modes? I believe Steam has some requirement whereby every couple of months you have to authenticate or offline mode stops working. But that is pretty friendly to people with laptops or crappy connections. Still bones people with no internet access at all though.

Yep exactly. The comparison between something like Steam and an individual game like Simcity is completely flawed anyway. One is a service to sell games, the other is an actual game. There is a pretty big feature gap between them. Digital distro services have to implement DRM as per publisher requirements, publishers on the other hand get to choose what goes into their games.

EA chose this path because they like under pinning their games with online connectivity now as it gives a convenient excuse to retire unsuccessful ones that aren't generating an ongoing revenue stream. Look at the rather pitiful list of online features and tell me with a straight face that they couldn't have done that on demand instead of requiring always on.

Anyway sorry Rolling but you're 100% wrong here. People definitely hate EA for a variety of reasons but in this case it's 100% justified, their rather long standing tradition of shitting on older franchises is pretty well documented.

Oh well hopefully they learn their lesson from this. I'm off to my familys place for a few days, merry christmas everyone!

Honestly, how many people use offline mode for steam on a regular basis? Or GFWL or Origin? Unless you're traveling prolly not very often, or live in the sticks with shit for internet.

I really don't think this is as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be.

Verno is right that the real issue is game specific always online DRM, and distribution platforms are a bit of a tangent. But did you play Diablo 3? Even if you have a great internet connection, you'll still often have your single player game ruined by server maintenance or server side lag. There's no benefit for the player, just unpredictable inconvenience.

That's part of why I don't think EA/Maxis should take D3's success as encouragement to try the same shenanigans. A lot of people who hoped it wouldn't be so bad were burned by D3 and learned their lesson.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2012, 01:37.

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
34. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 01:06 entr0py

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:28:
Yeah Molyneux did a great job with Spore... probably because he didn't overpromise at all.

Because he didn't work on that game.

Yeah, somehow I confused him with maxis. Okay to replace that I thought Dungeon Keeper was great at the time. His recent track record doesn't leave me very hopeful, but I do like that they're trying something unusual.

News Comments > Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg
61. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:03 entr0py

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:58:
Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 16:18:
You can set your region to private and never interact with other people,

And then when our servers go down, or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to play! YAY HAPPY FUN LAUGHS BUBBLES!

EA, no matter how many fucking bubbly t(w)its you drum up to pretend that it's all done for the player's benefit, it's still DRM, and you can still go fuck yourselves.

Creston

Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them. Look I get it for those who travel alot, or military who don't have an always on connection. But that's like a 1% of less minority of most PC gamers. It's no where near the issue some of you are making it out to be.

You don't know that Steam, Origin and GFWL all have offline modes? I believe Steam has some requirement whereby every couple of months you have to authenticate or offline mode stops working. But that is pretty friendly to people with laptops or crappy connections. Still bones people with no internet access at all though.

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
31. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 23:45 entr0py

Molyneux delivered interesting and unique elements in Black & White as well as Spore, they just weren't fleshed out with enough enjoyable gameplay. Still I'd rather see him take another crack at something that is in theory promising than hear about another safe and mediocre licensed game.

I don't feel any urge to fund it, he's rich and successful enough already. But if he comes up with something good I'll buy it.

News Comments > Ubisoft Eyeing THQ?
11. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 21, 2012, 23:37 entr0py

Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:31:
NOT good news. THQ wised up and began using Steamworks for their releases. If Ubsioft obtains their old properties they will saddle all of the games with the Uplay crap. It's not horrible; certainly better than Origin and GFWL, but in a world with Steam it's utterly pointless.

I've got to disagree with you there, unlike Uplay, Origin and GFWL don't feature always online DRM nonsense.

It sucks to ever be saddled with a required distribution platform/DRM package, but to me it's the always online trend that's truly intolerable.

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game in April
19. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game in April Dec 21, 2012, 20:16 entr0py

AdamK47 wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 11:15:
You know it's going to be junk when they use "The Video Game" in the title.

I think it's a geeky reference to Star Trek : The Motion Picture.

News Comments > Free EA Expansions on GOG.com
9. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 01:31 entr0py

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 00:45:
For all the hate you guys send EA's way. (alot of it deserved mind you) Wouldn't hurt to thank EA, I imagine GoG more than likely had to work something out with them.

Yeah they deserve at least as much credit as GoG. Do more of this sort of thing, EA.

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
23. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:19 entr0py

I haven't been keeping up with every detail. Is it going to need constant information from the server like Diablo 3? Or more occasional contact that won't lag the game if there's a delay?

News Comments > Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack
2. Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack Dec 18, 2012, 12:52 entr0py

"Roam the treacherous hills and navigate the unforgivable terrain"

Yes, don't think we'll ever forget what you did, hills.

News Comments > New Space Hulk Game Next Year
7. Re: New Space Hulk Game Next Year Dec 10, 2012, 22:00 entr0py

Their previous games don't seem to be very well reviewed:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/tactical-soldier---undead-rising

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/frontline-tactics

I wouldn't expect it to be much more than an iphone port. But I love turn-based strategy, so I hope they surprise us.

News Comments > Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Next Week
6. Re: Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Next Week Dec 10, 2012, 00:22 entr0py

Raven wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 21:31:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 20:42:
Free? Are they trying to atone for their on-disc DLC bullshit and other malpractice?

By "they" do you mean "some fan from Singapore"?

If Capcom funded him, I would say they deserve a lot of credit. If they are merely hosting the file, then not so much.

Edit: They did. From wikipedia:

The game was developed by Seow Zong Hui who presented an early build of the game to Capcom's Senior VP of planning and business development, Christian Svensson at EVO 2012. Impressed, Svensson showed the build to several staff members in the Capcom office (including senior community manager Brett Elston), and the decision was made to assist in the development of the game. While Zong Hui continued developing the project as he did before, Capcom took over tasks such as funding, marketing, and QA.

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
31. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 17:59 entr0py

So, I guess it would have some sort of windows emulator for running most games? I wonder how well that will work out.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend
8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend Dec 8, 2012, 18:32 entr0py

LaxerFL wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 18:08:
The only things you can buy with real money are different guns.

You can also buy XP boosts, resource boosts and membership boosts, which all stack. And nearly every visual customization.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend
5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend Dec 8, 2012, 16:52 entr0py

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 16:03:
Double XP doesn't mean much... Ranking up doesn't help you unlock new stuff. Well, apparently you earn the free in-game currency for time played (1 per hour) and every 250 XP, so I guess it's something. I played for a couple hours, ranked up like 6 times, and yet I only had about 30 of the Certification Points. The cheapest guns, which from what I can tell are only alternate versions of ones you start out with, cost 100 of that currency. The real upgrades cost more like 1000. Or, you know, 700 SOE cash. Which is $7. PER GUN. PlanetSide 2 is the definition of pay to win. I'll admit it is really cool gameplay, but the progression is on the same level as the usual crappy F2P shooter.

Yeah, I think it's set up so that playing for free can get you very minor upgrades, like a new sight or silencer every couple of days. But you realistically have to pay for the weapons. I'm enjoying it enough that if they had another double station cash sale, I might drop $15. But I wouldn't feel good about paying full price.

Basically, if you don't have a lot of disposable income to spend on the game, you're there to provide fodder for people who do.

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
6. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 11:23 entr0py

Orogogus wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:08:
Going off of Mobygames, I don't see that THQ has ever had anything to do with any Warhammer Fantasy games, of which there have only been about 5 games. It's likely they either only had the 40K license, or had the Fantasy license alongside 40K but were uninterested in it.

WHFB seems like a good fit for a Total War game, though.

You're right THQ has never had any involvement in the Warhammer fantasy setting. They have a long term exclusive deal to publish games in the 40k setting. While the fantasy setting can be licensed by any publisher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_Workshop_video_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thq

Still, this seems like it could turn out well. Mark of Chaos felt like a sub-par Total War clone. Now they can get it up to par at least.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2012, 11:41.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods
32. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 16:50 entr0py

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 16:23:

I was nodding through this entire post. I haven't tried PS2 yet, but this EXACT thing happens to me so often in other multiplayer games that there is ZERO fun in them (and it's exactly why I am not installing PS2). It is the height of frustration to get the drop on someone but because they can hop around like a ballet-trained faerie rabbit on crack you die every time. Screw that crap.

Fortunately my experience is that bunny hopping and hyperactive strafing isn't much of a problem. Players run at a reasonable speed, sprinting lowers your weapon, and strafing is slower than running forwards. Plus there's huge accuracy penalties for moving and firing from the hip. It's balanced a lot like the Battlefield games, and not at all like Quake.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads
36. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 24, 2012, 01:19 entr0py

I'm disappointed they did nothing to improve the game visually. I thought at least they would re-render the background, and hopefully add more frames to the pre-rendered animations. Seems the biggest "improvement" is that you can dab at it on a tablet. Like some kind of finger painting simpleton.  

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter
37. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 22, 2012, 03:51 entr0py

Dmitri_M wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 02:17:
I'm not giving any money to this guy for an unreleased game. He's been playing the publisher system long enough to know how to source funds.

I agree completely. I've got serious misgivings about kickstarting anyone who is highly successful, rich, and knows how to fund games already. . . But I would totally abandon that principal for Dungeon Keeper III

News Comments > Halo Team Seeks MMO Devs
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2012, 02:07 entr0py

Rigs wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 23:15:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Why did you have to show me that, nin?! I had NO idea there had been an attempt at a HALO Mamorphaga...Now I have to be all 'emo-angsty' over something that almost existed years ago...dammit, sometimes being a fanboy sucks...

=-Rigs-=

And doesn't it make it worse that it was cancelled so MS could dump more money into their kinect strategy? Now that they've learned that casual friendly gimmick controllers have a short shelf life, maybe they can go back to the plan.

I'd just like to see someone make a successful and high budget MMOFPS, even if it's for a console.

893 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo