Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 896 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
100. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:21 entr0py

MindStalker3 wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:52:
entr0py wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:17:
But it's proof that EA could release an offline patch, if they were ever willing to admit to their mistakes.

Its not just a matter of "admitting their mistakes", it would be admitting that their general direction of all games being online and using this to combat DRM is wrong. This is a policy that starts from the TOP, they could have released SimCity without all these requirements, but now that its out there it has to stay unless they decide to give up on this type of DRM all together. They would much rather take the loss of this one game and try to do it better next time than do a complete UTurn.

You're right, but that's exactly the mistake I'm talking about. The people at the top are definitely the problem. Having a single player mode means that piracy is possible, there's no getting around it, and no need to get around it. All that's needed is for them to accept that their customers consist of the people willing to buy their product, and pirates are irreverent.

That would take a huge change in direction, and it seems unlikely. But, this is the first time they've crossed this particular line. And if every time they try to online a single player game the reviews and player response was this bad, they would learn their lesson. If they have to choose between making more sales and being DRM zelots, I think they'll go with the sales.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 18:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alice 3 Possibilities Raised
16. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 14, 2013, 15:58 entr0py

I enjoyed the first game, but the gameplay of second game was just boring and pointless. It's like it only existed to guide you on a tour of the interesting scenery. And, I don't think the problem was that it was consolized, a gamepad is perfect for the blend of platforming and 3rd person combat they were going for.  

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
88. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:17 entr0py

It makes you realize just how much better they could have made the game if it weren't for the online DRM focus. They could have let players use the terraforming tools, and avoided the least common denominator city size. It's not just that they're hurting players with draconian DRM, they're hurting themselves.

Shame this hack doesn't allow for genuine offline play, since you still have to go online to retrieve the city, and none of the inter-city stuff works. But it's proof that EA could release an offline patch, if they were ever willing to admit to their mistakes.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
18. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 00:58 entr0py

As much as the launch was a failure they could still make this into a passable game once they fix all the server issues and disabled features and of course reduce the price by half.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
32. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 14, 2013, 00:21 entr0py

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:33:
So I got into the game and within seconds it crashed to desktop, giving me a "GAME ERROR G12" message in a web browser. Then I launched into it again and everything worked, except even on max graphics it was running at 150fps so my GPUs went into overdrive - enabling v-sync solved that. As for the game, I had absolutely no clue what to do - it literally made no sense and I've been playing first person shooters since the original Wolfenstein 3D.

Also, the game either has a really shitty UI or it's broken on my system. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to have error messages everywhere or hash-tags and UI before every item.

No wonder they have to give it away for free.

Yeah those screen shots are definitely not normal. It might have been better to do a fresh install, and not through steam (the default patcher is quick enough). Though I do envy your ridiculously overpowered system.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 20:38 entr0py

A little more structure, especially for unaffiliated loners, would be welcome. But over all it should still be up to the players to determine what they find strategically important, while perusing some kind of overarching goal.

To me a much more immediate problem is that 2 out of the 3 continents are abandoned wastelands. I would like to play on those continents for verity, but there's nothing to do without enough players to fight. Even a very modest incentive, like an xp boost that rotates among continents, would be enough to get players out of Indar.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
95. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 23:49 entr0py

JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 20:33:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 09:24:
I'm sure that hackers will come out with a server emulator... probably one that can be run in the background of the same machine as the game client... and one that will be better since you won't be running against EA's artificial size limitations that they intend to sell "unlocking larger zones" to people.

I wouldn't be the least surprised, as a SimCity server emulater probably doesn't have much more do to then to say "Yes sir Mr. Client, you are still online".

Not sure about the regions thing - given all the other BS that has been shoveled out about the game, wonder if that's really being done locally as well.

It would be nice if it turned out that way, for paying customers most of all. However, remember that the entire purpose of all of this online stuff is to prevent unauthorized play.

I wouldn't be surprised if several critical parts of the simulation are never executed the client PC. Obviously not because they want to donate CPU cycles, but because they want to make it genuinely difficult to get a server emulator working properly.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
50. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 14:09 entr0py

Players : "Please make an offline mode, we hate this."

EA : "We can't promise we'll try, but we'll try to try"
2 hours later. . . "Good news, upon further review we've determined we CAN promise NOT to try!"

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
48. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:07 entr0py

Ventura wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 22:15:
It's all such a damn shame, because, server problems aside (ok, and simulation issues), there's a phenomenal game underneath it all.

Yeah, if it weren't for the small maps (to manage server load) and always online nonsense it would be a pretty worthy game. EA has really managed to abort a winner.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 01:12.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
87. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 10, 2013, 00:09 entr0py

Honestly, for the people who did buy the game thinking a reliable internet connection would make always online DRM tolerable, this could do a lot to win back their trust if they offer a selection of the latest, most expensive EA games including another copy of SimCity. I don't think that will happen, but that's what it would take. Otherwise it's just a lame attempt to stem the outrage for a week while offering zero details on the reparation.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month?
13. Re: Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month? Mar 9, 2013, 02:09 entr0py

After the unfathomable continued success of the annual Call of Duty updates, I'd expect EA to try to establish the same milking schedule for Battlefield. Plus, they probably want to have DICE lay the foundation for porting Frostbite 2 to the new generation of consoles so their other studios can follow. I doubt the game will be worthwhile, but it's inevitable.  

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
81. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 18:55 entr0py

The only good thing was this was extremely easy to see coming. At least they were honest enough to have a stress test a couple weeks ago so that everyone had the chance to cancel any drunken preorders they might have placed.  

News Comments > Another BF2142 Sequel Hint?
35. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 22:34 entr0py

Caslon wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:56:
Keep in mind whatever BF2142 was to us PC gamers, EA will find a way to force it ported to PC from a console version.

Right like with Battlefield 3 how we had to endure all those console ported 64 player maps and jet combat. That sucked. And the engine was clearly designed for the xbox 360 circa 2005.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2013, 00:51 entr0py

The congress from 15 years ago put the DMCA in place, but the recent decision making it illegal to unlock cell phones was made by just one extremely old guy, the librarian of congress. So why isn't he listening to the president? Because he was appointed by Ronald Reagan; I kid you not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Billington#recent_controversy

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2013, 00:56.

News Comments > Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale
35. Re: Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale Feb 27, 2013, 18:45 entr0py

Hopefully Relic is lobbying Sega hard to buy the rights to Homeworld as well. It's just not worth as much to any other publisher. I would have no interest at all in the setting if it's divorced from the unique gameplay and the developer that made it happen.

Did anyone actually care about the storyline and characters in Homeworld?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 21:47 entr0py

Even if you never buy a PS4 or Xbox 4&#960; the new console generation is bound to lead to better game engines for the PC. Cross platform compatibility has been holding PC gaming back for several years now.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite
23. Re: Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite Feb 20, 2013, 10:31 entr0py

Esoteric wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 03:17:
I've still yet to play Bioshock 1 and 2. My girlfriend has beat both, really liked them, and is very much looking forward to Infinite. I told her maybe she should wait and check reviews first before buying it. She's like, "Nope, I don't care, I really enjoyed the first two and this one ties up the story, I'm going to play it good or bad."

So, should I play Bioshock 1 and 2? =P

I'd suggest you play Bioshock 1, but not 2. Bioshock 2 as a quickly developed moneygrab that 2K games farmed out to another developer. I guess that's what Irrational Games gets for creating a successful original IP in this day and age and not trying to milk it with an annual sequel.

But, Bioshock 1 was totally worth playing even now. The atmosphere, storyline and characters were all excellent. The gameplay was nothing special, but good enough.

News Comments > Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite
14. Re: Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite Feb 19, 2013, 23:59 entr0py

Is there a PC demo planned? It looks promising, but it also looks like something I could be done with in less than a week.  

News Comments > Star Wars Fighting Game Prototype Footage
3. Re: Star Wars Fighting Game Prototype Footage Feb 15, 2013, 23:32 entr0py

Of all the terrible games that have been made in the last 8 years, it's good to know a few of them weren't.  

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
19. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 22:25 entr0py

My opinion of Brütal Legend after finishing it is that, like many of Tim Schafer's games, it's worth playing for the story and artistic merit even though the game-play isn't actually any fun. Really just a bunch of buttons you need to press before the game will show you the next cool thing.  

896 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo