Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for entr0py

Real Name entr0py   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2009, 01:08
Total Comments 903 (Graduate)
User ID 55038

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced
18. Re: New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced Jun 12, 2013, 20:09 entr0py

Before anyone starts getting excited I feel you should see this:

http://www.metacritic.com/company/behaviour-interactive

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 01:12 entr0py

Sony deserves all the praise they're getting, but unfortunately they did copy Microsoft's policy in one area. On the PS4 you'll have to pay $50 a year to play any games online, even though most console games are peer-to-peer.

Sony to require playstation plus membership for online games

News Comments > Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC
14. Re: Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC Jun 7, 2013, 02:54 entr0py

I recall enjoying this as a rental, but I don't think it's worth much more than that. So. . . wait until it comes down to $10 on the PC?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 31, 2013, 15:53 entr0py

Can we assume they access social networking pages that are meant to be private? Otherwise it's all just information published in the public domain.  

8. Re: Evening Consolidation May 31, 2013, 00:22 entr0py

I hope Microsoft is paying attention. EA must have had good reason to abandon their scheme to fine customers for reselling games. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they did it because at some point screwing your customers becomes bad for business.  

News Comments > Memorial Mobilization
11. Re: Memorial Mobilization May 27, 2013, 20:54 entr0py

Isn't the central idea of a god game that the player is the god? Making it into a game where you worship an arbitrary young Scottish boy takes it in a rather different direction.  

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
68. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 17:33 entr0py

Redmask wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:15:
nin wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 21, 2013, 17:09:
I find the Blu-Ray player in the xbox pretty amusing

They're trying to slide that one under the radar.

Along with the online requirements and Kinect datamining, looks like that patent was the real deal.

The details are still fuzzy, but according to the Wired article there will be offline games. Though it seems there must at least an online activation for each game.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired but I hope they do. So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
15. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 15:16 entr0py

I hope they run into a big class action due to the proposed game licensing scam. My understanding was that computer software has a special exemption from the First-sale doctrine, but that game consoles have no such exemption and so must legally allow resale of software and hardware.

Unless they plan to integrate some sort of meaningless "online service" into every game that is only there for the purpose of DRM. Even then I hope there's room to challenge it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_sale_doctrine

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2013, 04:38 entr0py

So, reddit finally drove someone to suicide? Time to shut the experiment down, it's had a good run.  

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
19. No subject Apr 23, 2013, 23:08 entr0py

My one real complaint about DoW 2 was how they approached single player. The gameplay of multiplayer was much more fun and varied, I probably spent most of my time with the game in skirmishes against the AI to try to enjoy that part of the game, while avoid the uber leet community that dominates every online RTS game.

The most fun I've ever had with RTS games were the single player campaigns of DoW 1, Winter Assault, CoH, and Opposing Fronts. And they all had a similar formula, missions were scripted and story driven, but basically used the same units and rules at the multiplayer component. I hope they return to that.

News Comments > More THQ IP Sold
6. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 21:12 entr0py

Yeah, that sale price on Homeworld is a surprising amount for a series which the previous owners didn't see as profitable enough to use for the last decade. But it's good to know that it ended up in the hands of the people who mad Duke Nukem Forever.

Still, I guess there's some dim hope that they could make a faithful sequel. The price seems to be a good sign that they'll actually use the IP.

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
33. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 18:49 entr0py

The only good news is since it was a court-supervised auction, we'll know the results in mid may when the court finalizes it.

Gamespot Story

I'm going to guess Sega picked it up. It's just not worth as much to anyone else.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 17, 2013, 13:32 entr0py

PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 08:55:
Besides, there is no need to make the console online only when every publisher already has the choice to include spiteful always-online DRM a la Diablo 3

How the fuck is a publisher going to publish an always on game on a console that isn't always on? Are you completely unaware Diablo 3 PS3 has OFFLINE play???

Chill man. There have been console MMOs for at least a decade (though not many). I don't know why you would think that consoles can't do online only games right now, they do.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 17, 2013, 03:38 entr0py

Redmask wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 22:30:
I can't imagine what an online only console would bring to the table for the customer. I can see how it would benefit the corporation behind the product but how exactly does any of that benefit the customer? Are they going to get a reduced price in exchange for what they're giving up in terms of convenience, resale and other traditional features? I haven't seen a single coherent response from the industry that wasn't a bunch of PR terms and vagueness patched together.

What does an online only console do for me as a customer?

Well, nothing, the only way it can possibly work is if there is no competition that isn't stooping to the same level. I will literally buy a Wii U before I consider buying an always online Xbox or Playstation.

Besides, there is no need to make the console online only when every publisher already has the choice to include spiteful always-online DRM a la Diablo 3. And the rumor is made even more ridiculous by the fact that console hardware has virtually beaten piracy if the 3DS, Wii U or PS Vita are anything to go by.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection
12. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Open to Facebook Affection Apr 15, 2013, 14:52 entr0py

Well, that was certainly easier than preordering and immediately canceling the preorder to get into beta. It's good to have a troll facebook account for times like these.  

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
51. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 13:47 entr0py

It sounds like Activision definitely acquired the rights in the merger, and the only thing that's uncertain is if they've sold it and to who. I'm sure they'd have a record of selling off an IP, so the story is basically that a guy at Activision can't be bothered to really look.  

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 00:58 entr0py

I'd be willing to bet the writer is complaining that the game isn't challenging, while playing the entire thing on normal mode. Normal is the new easy. With any modern game, if you don't want a cakewalk, you need to start out on hard and see where it goes from there. (you can also edit an ini file to unlock insane right away)

On hard, I died plenty of times, had to use cover and retreat occasionally, ran out of ammo frequently, and needed to select appropriate vigors for the situation.

It definitely could have done with more battles in large open areas. But the ones that were there were great fun while they lasted.

News Comments > SimCity 2.0 Plans
10. Re: SimCity 2.0 Plans Mar 29, 2013, 01:14 entr0py

Flatline wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 23:23:
I'm still trying to figure out how you ship with all these issues still in the code. I can *sort* of understand getting bushwhacked on the servers. Well okay not really but that in theory is something you're predicting and is beyond your immediate influence.

But these are fundamental, underlying bugs that are showing up on everyone's game. The idea that they didn't know about these is... odd.

I can only really suspect that this was a "ship now, patch later" game.

Exactly the last thing you said. All of the bugs, servers included, were obvious in the last open beta, but that didn't cause them to delay the game. It reminds me a bit of Dragon Age 2, a promising game that absolutely any honest assessment would find was rushed and unfinished. But, screw it, we have profit to reap and investors to satisfy.

News Comments > Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping
17. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 00:29 entr0py

I think the Witcher 2 hit on a terrible compromise; DRM that no customer wants at release, followed within a few months by a patch that removes all the DRM. The publisher gets to tell shareholders that they prevented the earliest and most impulsive piracy, and customers are treated with respect in a pretty short timeframe. Everyone sort of wins (or at least we get screwed less).  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2013, 21:19 entr0py

Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:39:
I think it's pretty expected to be honest, it's what most people said their primary usage scenario for an Ouya was going to be. The list of games otherwise available for the platform looks pretty scarce without emulated titles or random Android stuff.

Yeah, that's just what they say in the article, but what's unexpected is that it's officially enabled by Ouya inc.

I don't know why they'd stick their necks out like that. Especially given that Nintendo has invested a lot into their exclusive Virtual Console and is currently selling a couple hundred titles for those three systems.

903 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo