Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The PC Warrior

Real Name The PC Warrior   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 6, 2009, 19:08
Total Comments 865 (Graduate)
User ID 55011

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2009, 09:25 The PC Warrior

IMHO, Sony's Dual Analog/DualShock is about as good as gamepads come, which is probably why it's remained almost unchanged for 3 generations of consoles now. And even on the PC Logitech's Rumblepad is a carbon copy of it.

If I can give Microsoft one thing, they definitely rip off ideas with the best of them. The Xbox360 controller is by far the best I've ever used and it works with just about every Windows game I've tried in the past three years. It basically combines the old Nintendo controller style with the Dual Shock design but gives you wireless, removable batteries and great trigger buttons. The Dual Shock 3 triggers feel like mush, I have no idea why they went with em.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 3, 2009, 17:04 The PC Warrior

That's Z9000-speak for "not possible" Verno. I just checked and you can't. He doesn't like to admit the PS3's faults.  

News Comments > WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Changes Planned
20. Re: WoW Faction Changes Begin, Race Changes Planned Sep 3, 2009, 06:48 The PC Warrior

I'm a WoW hater myself but Cutter don't you think it's possible some people genuinely regret their choices in the game and actually wanted the service? Giving it away for free would let anyone do it and reduce the impact that choices have in the game. Charging for it ensures people at least think about it and that not too many players are doing it.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Sep 3, 2009, 06:34 The PC Warrior

What were you guys expecting from "GameVein"?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2009, 20:20 The PC Warrior

Fine here nin, using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  

News Comments > EA Sues over Godfather Guns
13. Re: EA Sues over Godfather Guns Sep 2, 2009, 20:19 The PC Warrior

Isn't there a law in the US that prevents criminals and their families from profiting from their crimes?

Have you checked out Wall Street recently? Or former White House staff for that matter?

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results
66. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 20:07 The PC Warrior

Consumer OLED is still a ways off but it's pretty much the best possible tech we're likely to see in display technology for the next 10 years. Low energy usage, great color reproduction and good viewing angles. I can't wait but it's going to be a long time until we see it.  

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 2, 2009, 17:51 The PC Warrior

Not too long ago there was a headline that the entire Xbox 360 division was down over 60%. That's not stable growth. They are still down. PS3 has been in the black with all things considered for a year.

That headline was Xbox 360 console sales down 60% from previous quarter, year over year it's still ahead and the Xbox posted a positive growth percentile despite economy while both Nintendo and Sony tanked. The Xbox is still making money, lots of it which is evident in Microsoft's publicly furnished financial statements. And since you brought it up, here's Sony's results. The highlights - loss of $418 million for the entire Playstation division despite being propped up by the PS2's continued success and 1.1 million PS3 systems sold versus 1.3 PS3 million systems sold during the same period last year. In your world, does being in the black mean losing money? In the real world, that's being in the red.

This is exactly what I am talking about when I say fact or fiction. You just lied to try save face for a company because you had no idea Sony was a publicly held corporation that posts its financial statements. All of that data you lied about took three seconds to verify on Google.

Raw sales figures with out context is only something the most naive investor might care about. It's that context and how it matters is what I have been harping on post after post... Raw data can be made to say just about anything. Raw data can be corrupted. Hell a company with money to burn can actually buy it's own inventory and resell it if they thought that it would improve the chances of securing a commanding position in a market, while writing it off as a loss...

In other words, you have zero data to support your assertion and are trying to language dance around being embarassed.

Thank you for agreeing with me, the problem is that the tiny DVD disk is crammed full with little ability to optimize unless you ship with more than 1 disk, or cut lots of content out (or your game was tiny already).

I can think of less than 10 multidisc games on the Xbox 360 period, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make but it faltered as usual.

Not when they are compressed because of disk space issues DVD capacity limitations force on a developer... What ring that is on the disc also matters more on DVD than Blu-ray.. Read speeds are not smooth and constant as you portray, they fluctuate wildly with DVD. Some optimizations can be made, but the best ones require space that many games don't allow for while trying to cram on 1 DVD.

Funny how devs are not crying about this but instead crying about how hard it is to work with the PS3. If it's such a problem, how come we never hear about it?

While I do agree it would have been awesome to have a 4x BD drive, even by the most basic graphs out there, the 2X drive is in the range of a 12x dvd. By having a very consistent read, faster seek time, and less need for optimization in order to remain at that constant read speed, are some of the things that make it perform as good if not better than a 12x DVD...

Yet again you fail to provide any links to actual graphs or anything at all to support your argument. Here I'll do it for you - Blu-Ray drive speeds graphed versus DVD. Oh look at that, the DVD absolute minimum drive speed is only 5mbps less than the 2x BD drive's MAX speed. Oh and look, the 12x DVD can double the speed of the BD drive at max or stay 1.5x as fast even operating at 50-75% speed.

I won't agree or disagree with you here, but again Blu-ray seek times are faster from the things I have read. Feel free to disagree.

Based on what you've imagined more like it. I don't disagree with you, all of the data does.

Side by side, loading between the same zones while playing both the Xbox and PS3. The whole family agreed the PS3 loaded zones faster than the Xbox. It didn't even need a stopwatch test, the difference was so dramatic. I can't believe we are even discussing this...

So you are saying yes, you know more than the guys who made Oblivion who claim that's not the case. Publish this test. Where is it? Where can I find this mystical creation?

Do you even remember what you are arguing about? I will refresh your memory. I made a claim that in my opinion Xbox will be less patient and force people to digital only much sooner than PS3 in order to compete. I said I felt Xbox drm was draconian, while on PSN you can use the software on 5 different consoles. I said I think Sony is less likely to give up Blu-ray as a format after spending so much in order to make it the standard. God of War 1, and God of War 2 are being released with touch up on Blu-ray (physical media). The meaning of what I said is it's shitty they won't allow people who already own the physical PS2 copies to play the game on all PS3s and are making them repurchase more physical media to play it. It has nothing to do with Xbox or PS3 going digital only... Not sure if you are really that lost here, or just making stuff up now just annoy me...

In other words, if Microsoft does it, they are the devil. If Sony does it, it's ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't credit them for killing PC gaming, I think Microsoft deserves that crown. Limited installs and broken games is the kind of DRM I am talking about

Wow you are damaged or something. Sony made SecuRom which does limit installs and made many games unplayable with activations and draconian DRM methods. Microsoft didn't make that, that was SONY.

They let you use all game software on 5 different consoles..., and you can deactivate and reactivate entire consoles

Oh geez how generous of them! Restricting what I paid for only 5 times, they should get a medal!

It's in your own posting history, find it yourself...

In other words it doesn't exist because you had the argument with someone else. You still haven't even named which bus speed you're referring to.

Last time this happened you were betting I would not be able to come up with 35 PS3 exclusive titles, I found 55+...

Again that was an argument with you had with Verno and Beamer, not me. I remember it well though and it was indeed hilarious seeing your terrible list of titles. You even posted PSP and PSN games as "exclusive" then refused to consider Microsoft XBLA titles as exclusives. In general your posting history is like watching George from Seinfeld.

64. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 17:23 The PC Warrior

I'm pretty sure CRTs are power eaters too, at least compared to LCDs. Newer LCD's are ridiculously energy efficient which translates to savings for those of us who don't live in mom's basement.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Q&A
23. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Q&A Sep 2, 2009, 16:08 The PC Warrior

Fallout, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines... the PC has a much richer catalog of CRPGs than consoles. If a gamer has played and enjoyed all these games, I find it very hard to believe that they would enjoy something like Fable.

How do you expect people to take you seriously when you make comments like this? I love VTM and games like Baldur's Gate but I also enjoy playing Wii Sports with my family. The world does not fit into little categories however much you wish it would.

62. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 15:59 The PC Warrior

Getting back on topic, this actually really surprised me - Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 2960 x 1050 - 14.40%. I had no idea there were so many people using 2 monitors.  

News Comments > Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW
19. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG Sep 2, 2009, 06:51 The PC Warrior

Thus speaks the voice of authority. LOL! At one point I had three paid subscriptions running and a LotRO lifetime sub running. All with a good job and a family life. I guess your "one size fits all" brain finds that difficult to comprehend, huh?

If you are satisfied with playing each MMO for an hour a day tops then more power to you. If not where else did your time come from? Are you the magical human being who never needs sleep? As someone with kids, I find it extremely difficult to believe you could manage all of that without a divorce. It's not even a question of speaking of authority on the subject, it has everything to do with there only being 24 hours in a day.

I can have 10 subscriptions active at a time but it doesn't mean that I actually play all 10 games. If you are truly satisfied with playing short amounts of time and enjoying it then hey great. I have yet to find an MMO where I found any enjoyment whatsoever when I played less than 10 hours a week and finding 10 hours a week to do nothing but sit on your keester while playing an MMO with kids, a wife and a job is truly an achievement.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 06:54.

News Comments > NVIDIA on an Impulse
21. Re: NVIDIA on an Impulse Sep 2, 2009, 06:44 The PC Warrior

I had an ATI card around the time Doom 3 came out

That's fine but just as long as you realize ATI's drivers have been fine for years. Both companies have their share of bugs these days but both are also pretty good about faster releases to fix them now. ATI also forced Nvidia to compete on price for a change, otherwise we'd all still be paying $300+ for our videocards. Brand loyalty is a very stupid thing for consumers. ATI or Nvidia, AMD or Intel, you should always buy the best bang for the buck.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 06:45.

News Comments > Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW
5. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 1, 2009, 21:55 The PC Warrior

I'm not so sure about that. I've paid for two subscriptions at once before though I'll admit it wasn't for more than a couple months

People don't have time to play two MMOs. The people that do have time are jobless and probably can't afford it or flunking out of college and eventually will realize their predicament. Any MMO Blizzard launches will significantly cannibalize the WoW consumer base. I doubt it would kill it but they experience a massive drop in subscriptions without a doubt. It doesn't really matter at that point though. They can scale down on capacity and shift employees to the new game. The infrastructure will largely be in place already and they are just basically switching one revenue stream for another. It's a win win for them even if they really hurt WoW in the process. WoW's pretty polished but incredibly derivative anyways, full steam ahead on the new IP please.

41. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 18:06 The PC Warrior

Anything. Doesnt matter what you use. You will always have a slight motion blur when you move your sight quickly. Especially in fast shooters its horrible.

Maybe your eye sight is more sensitive than mine but I have yet to have these problems you're talking about and I just googled up some reviews and couldn't find any mention of significant motion blur that would be noticeable in a gaming setting. I found some tests on hardforums and avsforums that deal with the problem but most of those were from old LCD models. Playing with an LCD certainly hasn't affected my kill counts any and I have no problems distinguishing enemy from friend or even to see motion blur at all unless it's built into the game.

I don't know, maybe this is one of those things like the whole 720p vs 1080p from less than 10 feet away where some people cannot see the difference but others swear by it. Distance from your screen, eye sight and lighting are just a few things that will drastically affect visual perception, perhaps we just have radically different environments for playing games.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 20:27.

36. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 17:10 The PC Warrior

I've used a BenQ V2400W TN panel, Samsung T245 S-IPS and a Dell 2209WA E-IPS and never seen motion blur problems. Snapping my vision from one side to another in an FPS produces no visual artifacts or blur that I can see that would be monitor related. Can you be more specific in terms of what games or source material is being used? I'm curious.  

34. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 17:02 The PC Warrior

black is an actual black again

That's a legit complaint. Black levels on LCDs are pretty disappointing compared to CRTs. Motion blur is non-existent if you get a decent monitor in my experience. Those shitty $150 Acers are the bane of LCD tech. I've only ever really noticed it on older first and second gen LCDs.

Does anyone still make CRTs these days or is everyone just surviving on existing tech?

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 17:04.

32. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 16:56 The PC Warrior

Real PC gamers use CRTs

Real gamers probably can't lift CRTs.

because they have higher refresh rates and no shitty resolution scaling

Did you mean response time? Refresh rate doesn't really apply to LCDs. Just play games at your LCD's native resolution to avoid scaling problems. Been using LCDs for years without any problems and I was an avid Quake/CRT gamer.

I'm not supposed to jaywalk either but I sleep ok at night. My heart goes out to the gigantic mega corporation that has been raping me on software for years

Not really a valid excuse for this sort of behavior.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 17:00.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 1, 2009, 06:51 The PC Warrior

Sure they did.

When? What?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Q&A
15. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Q&A Aug 31, 2009, 22:26 The PC Warrior

We're talking about the console crowd here, so I think the answer to that has to be "yes". They wouldn't know what to do with a game like Baldur's Gate

My brother's favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate 2 and yet he somehow manages to enjoy Fable 2 as well. You don't need to be a Mensa member to enjoy a CRPG and likewise you don't need to be a toddler to enjoy a console RPG. Fun isn't exclusive.

865 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo