Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beelzebud

Real Name Beelzebud   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 9, 2009, 19:33
Total Comments 935 (Graduate)
User ID 54955

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"
5. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:09 Beelzebud

Funny. This is the same type of bullshit Blizzard pushes off in regards to Diablo 3, except replace "vision" with "philosophy".  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion This Summer
11. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World Expansion This Summer Mar 15, 2013, 14:10 Beelzebud

Looking forward to this! I wasn't fond of vanilla Civ5, but the Gods and Kings expansion added most of the things it needed. This really seems to be fleshing out the remaining systems that could use it.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
20. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 01:26 Beelzebud

gunnergoz wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 01:14:
I did manage to log in and start up SC today, but then discover that it has lost my city! The damn game put me back on tutorial and claimed I had never played before! And this I had about 10K people in my little city. Log on to their help forum and find out there's hundreds of people with the same problem...disappearing cities.

I really feel the burn of $60 going up in smoke here and it does not do much for my disposition...

It's simply astounding that you can't even save a city to your own PC... Talk about taking a step backwards.

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
3. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 11, 2013, 20:45 Beelzebud

I bought this game today and played it for around an hour so far. First impressions are very good. It seems to have a lot of depth.  

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
75. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 16:47 Beelzebud

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 16:08:
Wait what? Where are you getting the 10k players thing from? I'm totally with you that it experienced a huge drop off (most games do naturally but Blizzard games pedigree was longevity and value) but that seems dubious. Is it that old XFire source? It's a good indicator but a poor value to use as an actual statistic.

I played D3. I go by what the in-game counter said. I su0ppose I should have said "at any time of the day, it averaged around 10k players."

For a game that sold over 6 million copes that is crap. Even if it was something like 240k, that is still a massive drop in players.

70. Re: Im not buy SimCity Online Mar 11, 2013, 15:52 Beelzebud

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 09:03:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 08:33:
D3 was fail due to terrible itemization and the AH. Though the always on certainly doesn't help. You would think that these publishers would start getting the idea that no one wants forced always on for single player titles.

Diablo 3 sold over 6.3 million copies within the first week.
I am sure a lot of the publishers would love to have a failed title like that.

This right here is an example of the short sightedness that plauges the corporate world. Once upon a time, people built companies to stand the test of time.

6.3 million sales in the first week, was due to the popularity of the previous games. It didn't sell that many copies on its own merit. After the first month, there were less than 10k players. From 6.3 million in sales, to less than 10k players online. That isn't a success, unless you can't see beyond one financial quarter.

Diablo 3 damaged Blizzards reputation. I predict the next Diablo product will not sell 6.3 million units in one week.

50. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:42 Beelzebud

Seems like in the long run this DRM will cost them more than the piracy.

I mean let's get real. The old games were open to piracy and yet the company still made millions of dollars.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 10, 2013, 22:33 Beelzebud

Samsung exec's ire is focused on the wrong place. Let's all be honest here. For home PC users video games are what motivates people to buy new stuff. When every game that comes out targets Xbox360 hardware, it's no surprise that no one is gobbling up new PCs like they did in the late 90's.

I've had this machine since 2007, and besides getting a better graphics card, it still plays every single game i throw at it just fine. There is absolutely no burning need for me to go out and buy all new hardware, or an OS.

News Comments > Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter
7. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 19:28 Beelzebud

Too many red flags for me to fork over cash. They're running two fundraisers (kickstarter and indiegogo), they have investors, have credit, but they tell absolutely nothing about their experience as game developers. Oh and they want to "include" the mod community.

Then they mention putting the old game on GoG, which I have a feeling is the real reason they want the rights. Since these types of projects have no consequence for failure, they could easily take everyone's money, buy the rights to the franchise, put it on GoG, and not do anything else but collect royalty checks.

I'll pass.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 19:33.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
16. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:30 Beelzebud

Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:21:
siapnar wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:00:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:20:
It isnt. MP3 was, compared to its long and costly development, a commercial failure. One little Steam sale ten months after release doesnt change anything.
I assumed, since I've seen it in the Steam Top 10 many times, that it was selling well.
Maybe it was a respectable seller on Steam, but only 2.5 mio. copies sold on 360 and PS3 since the release is NOT a success, when you consider the high developement and marketing costs. Rockstar simply overestimated the desire for a new MP game, therefore letting the game cost way too much.

I don't see how they thought it would be some blockbuster hit. The only reason the original Max Payne got so much hype was because their constipated character rode the Matrix bullet-time gravy-train. I remember when they debuted Max Payne, bullet-time was the feature they hyped the most, simply because Matrix came out earlier that year.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
57. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:41 Beelzebud

Ruffiana wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 16:04:
  • Implement draconian 'always online' DRM to keep people from stealing your game.

• Legitimate customers can't play.

• End up giving away free games to try and placate them.

• DRM is a great idea, right?

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
    37. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 16:48 Beelzebud

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 13:23:
    Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:50:
    It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

I wish the kickstarter phenomena had happened before that incident.

Well, to the big publishers, they ARE dead, and are still dead. Anything less than multi-million copy sellers are pretty much dead to them. (as a side note Fallout 3 wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it became without beth making it as a FPS)

Fortunately, we are now getting other alternatives like wasteland 2.

Thats one of the best things about KS. Not that they are replacing publishers (although I wouldn't care if they did), but that they are allowing a lot of projects that have a lower level of demand than multi-million copies get made. Projects that publishers sneer at and pass up, yet there IS demand out there for them. Thousands or a few millions of dollars of demand. Demand that can now find an outlet.

Yeah they're so dead to big publishers that Firaxis had a hit with one at the end of last year. A little game called X-Com. The idea that gamers don't want to play this style of game is an assertion that needs to die, as it has been shown to be false over and over again. It's as silly as the notion that "PC gaming is dead", that many industry insiders were telling everyone just 2 years ago.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
    3. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:04 Beelzebud

I'm still waiting for Blizzard to announce the free expansion to Diablo 3. I won't be holding my breath.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
    35. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 12:50 Beelzebud

It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

I wish the kickstarter phenomena had happened before that incident.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
    58. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:39 Beelzebud

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:58:
    So the guy has money. He isn't asking for charity, he's asking for investment. Lots of the people on Kickstarter could probably finance out of their own pockets if they wanted to, as could many traditional business start-ups that seek financial backers. That doesn't mean it is a good idea.

If you view kickstarter projects as investments, you're seeing things incorrectly.

Investors have a chance at seeing profit from what they're investing in; that is the whole point of investing. With kickstarter you are NOT investing in anything. You're simply giving money to people who you think deserve the help. You may get a game when the project finishes, but you're never going to see a return on your "investment".

It's not charity, or an investment. You're just giving them money.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
    55. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:26 Beelzebud

I have a hard time throwing money at a guy that can afford to spend 30 Million dollars for a 10 day trip to space.  

News Comments > Diablo III Item Change Plans
    2. Re: Diablo III Item Change Plans Mar 5, 2013, 15:15 Beelzebud

Too much pseudo-philosophy about game design from them.

You guys want to improve Diablo 3? Here is a challenge. For A solid month do nothing but play Diablo 2, and take notes. It's not rocket science.

News Comments > Jason West Retires?
    11. Re: Jason West Retires? Mar 4, 2013, 14:42 Beelzebud

I'm surprised he didn't retire after shooting the old Batman TV series.  

News Comments > Blizzard Planning PAX East Reveal
    4. Re: Blizzard Planning PAX East Reveal Feb 27, 2013, 20:07 Beelzebud

Diabo 3 for Playstation has an offline mode, LAN play, and no RMAH.

Blizzard can DIAF.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2013, 20:15.

News Comments > Linux Wargame: European Escalation
    1. Re: Linux Wargame: European Escalation Feb 27, 2013, 13:36 Beelzebud

Steam is the best thing to happen to Linux gaming in a very long time.

935 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 13.
    < Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo