Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beelzebud

Real Name Beelzebud   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 9, 2009, 19:33
Total Comments 924 (Graduate)
User ID 54955

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
37. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 16:48 Beelzebud

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 13:23:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 12:50:
It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

I wish the kickstarter phenomena had happened before that incident.

Well, to the big publishers, they ARE dead, and are still dead. Anything less than multi-million copy sellers are pretty much dead to them. (as a side note Fallout 3 wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it became without beth making it as a FPS)

Fortunately, we are now getting other alternatives like wasteland 2.

Thats one of the best things about KS. Not that they are replacing publishers (although I wouldn't care if they did), but that they are allowing a lot of projects that have a lower level of demand than multi-million copies get made. Projects that publishers sneer at and pass up, yet there IS demand out there for them. Thousands or a few millions of dollars of demand. Demand that can now find an outlet.

Yeah they're so dead to big publishers that Firaxis had a hit with one at the end of last year. A little game called X-Com. The idea that gamers don't want to play this style of game is an assertion that needs to die, as it has been shown to be false over and over again. It's as silly as the notion that "PC gaming is dead", that many industry insiders were telling everyone just 2 years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
3. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:04 Beelzebud

I'm still waiting for Blizzard to announce the free expansion to Diablo 3. I won't be holding my breath.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
35. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 9, 2013, 12:50 Beelzebud

It seems like just yesterday we were being told that isometric turn-based RPGs were dead, and Fallout MUST be a first person shooter.

I wish the kickstarter phenomena had happened before that incident.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
58. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:39 Beelzebud

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:58:
So the guy has money. He isn't asking for charity, he's asking for investment. Lots of the people on Kickstarter could probably finance out of their own pockets if they wanted to, as could many traditional business start-ups that seek financial backers. That doesn't mean it is a good idea.

If you view kickstarter projects as investments, you're seeing things incorrectly.

Investors have a chance at seeing profit from what they're investing in; that is the whole point of investing. With kickstarter you are NOT investing in anything. You're simply giving money to people who you think deserve the help. You may get a game when the project finishes, but you're never going to see a return on your "investment".

It's not charity, or an investment. You're just giving them money.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
55. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 17:26 Beelzebud

I have a hard time throwing money at a guy that can afford to spend 30 Million dollars for a 10 day trip to space.  

News Comments > Diablo III Item Change Plans
2. Re: Diablo III Item Change Plans Mar 5, 2013, 15:15 Beelzebud

Too much pseudo-philosophy about game design from them.

You guys want to improve Diablo 3? Here is a challenge. For A solid month do nothing but play Diablo 2, and take notes. It's not rocket science.

News Comments > Jason West Retires?
11. Re: Jason West Retires? Mar 4, 2013, 14:42 Beelzebud

I'm surprised he didn't retire after shooting the old Batman TV series.  

News Comments > Blizzard Planning PAX East Reveal
4. Re: Blizzard Planning PAX East Reveal Feb 27, 2013, 20:07 Beelzebud

Diabo 3 for Playstation has an offline mode, LAN play, and no RMAH.

Blizzard can DIAF.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2013, 20:15.

News Comments > Linux Wargame: European Escalation
1. Re: Linux Wargame: European Escalation Feb 27, 2013, 13:36 Beelzebud

Steam is the best thing to happen to Linux gaming in a very long time.

News Comments > OS XCOM This Spring
1. Re: OS XCOM This Spring Feb 26, 2013, 23:28 Beelzebud

I'd LOVE a Linux version of this.  

News Comments > More Borderlands 2 DLC
30. Re: More Borderlands 2 DLC Feb 26, 2013, 15:23 Beelzebud

So basically if you bought the Season Pass they think you're a sucker that they can bleed more money from. Wasn't the entire point of the Season Pass to get the DLC?

People need to stop supporting this bullshit. Between this and the Alien game, I'm done with Gearbox.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite GameFly Preorders
3. Re: BioShock Infinite GameFly Preorders Feb 25, 2013, 22:32 Beelzebud

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:23:
I wonder how the A:CM debacle is affecting preorders of this game, and if all these enticements are partially a result of that.

I doubt it. 2K seems to be generous with pre-order bonuses. X-com gave you the first DLC free, a copy of Civ5 and a bunch of TF2 items as well.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem
35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem Feb 25, 2013, 20:51 Beelzebud

Thanks to this turd, we'll never get to see an Obsidian-made Alien RPG. That alone makes me hate Gearbox.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition
12. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 02:23 Beelzebud

"Game of the Year" is meaningless and needs to go away.  

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
30. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 19:01 Beelzebud

Is World of Tanks any good, or is it pay2win?  

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com
27. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 17:53 Beelzebud

If you missed this game the first time around, you now have no excuse. It's worth $10.00 even today. I'd buy it again, but I still have my CD, so that would be pointless.  

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
18. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:05 Beelzebud

SirKnight wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 16:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:58:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid the harm to your freedom that Windows would do.

Thus, in direct practical terms, this development can do both harm and good. It might encourage GNU/Linux users to install these games, and it might encourage users of the games to replace Windows with GNU/Linux. My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

I don't think you'll ever see him using it, or telling people to use it, but he's pretty clear that it isn't an entirely negative thing to have, and actually will do more good than bad.

Yeah he says it's better IF you're going to do it anyway, but this does not mean he thinks it's a good thing in general.

The point is that even Stallman recognizes that it's a good thing, because it will bring more people to try out Linux. He's not going to start wearing the TF2 Linux t-shirt, but it does contradict the notion that he's completely against it.

12. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:58 Beelzebud

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid the harm to your freedom that Windows would do.

Thus, in direct practical terms, this development can do both harm and good. It might encourage GNU/Linux users to install these games, and it might encourage users of the games to replace Windows with GNU/Linux. My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

I don't think you'll ever see him using it, or telling people to use it, but he's pretty clear that it isn't an entirely negative thing to have, and actually will do more good than bad.

8. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:31 Beelzebud

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:18:
I thought Linux was the choice OS of those wishing to avoid DRM, closed systems and proprietary software.

What's next for Ubuntu, the Metro interface? Oh wait...

You thought wrong. Even Richard Stallman (creator of GNU and the Free Software Foundation) has said that Steam on Linux is a good thing.

Entertainment software isn't the same as production software that you'd use to run a server farm.

News Comments > Halo 2 MP Life-Support Extended
1. Re: Halo 2 MP Life-Support Extended Feb 13, 2013, 18:10 Beelzebud

Dedicated servers remove the need to "shut down" a PC game. Why we seem to have to learn this lesson, after having dedicated servers for nearly two decades is beyond me.  

924 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo