Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for RollinThundr

Real Name RollinThundr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Banned
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 5, 2009, 08:31
Total Comments 2460 (Senior)
User ID 54946

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound
12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound Jul 16, 2013, 10:49 RollinThundr

YAY! Can't wait for this!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter
9. Re: Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 10:48 RollinThundr

SirKnight wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 09:55:
I loved the Police Quest series. Especially the SWAT series that spawned from them. I would like to see a new SWAT.

Swat 4 and it's expansion were both very solid. I'm still sad that Sierra ended up how they did and that Activision will likely sit on all that classic IP and do nothing with it.

News Comments > Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2
47. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 12, 2013, 08:31 RollinThundr

Julio wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 05:23:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 23:59:
As has been mentioned many times already, distributors do not fund development.

Sure, I agree with this.

Who cares if Deep Silver gets a cut from physical sales?

I do. When the KS pitch involves bashing the traditional companies who don't want to support this kind of game, it implied they weren't going to be involved. I viewed that as a positive reason to back this game. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that others don't care.

There are a lot of regions in the world where digital distribution isn't really feasible.

Really? I can't think of anywhere that you'd make many sales that doesn't have functioning internet.

Deep Silver isn't taking your Kickstarter money because that money was for development, not physical distribution. You act like you're an investor and you don't want to share any profits with other parties.

They're making profits from Wasteland 2, which is what I don't like. I don't think those profits should come to me, it's clear what funding a KS gets a backer. But as per the points above, I despise Deep Silver so I don't want them making money off of this. If they wanted to, they could have funded development and taken more of a risk. I'm sure I'm not in the majority, but I would prefer to leave out the vultures of the industry (traditional publishers/distributors) and have inXile make slightly less money. To me it would be similar to inXile adding in-game ads for non-backers to make more money. Both I find distasteful.

InXile can do what they want, but their behavior will impact how well they can fund future games.

So you'd rather they not ship physical copies of the game at all or eat that cost themselves? At the end of the day none of your money went to Deep Silver, none of it. But because "publishers EVIL HERPA DERPA!" we get comments like this masterpiece.

39. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 18:20 RollinThundr

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:25:
vaudeville circus act mentality

LOL! Well, I recall another discussion about publishers and I said not so many nice words about them. When I said those things, though, I made it clear that it was because the publisher ended up holding most of the power while being able to deflect a considerable amount of the blame. That's not the case here...inXile holds the cards and would be liable for a failed product. In other words, how it should be.

Honestly I don't disagree, however we wouldn't have the industry we have today if it weren't for publishers putting up the funds to create this industry in the first place.

Yes we're moving away from the traditional way to get games made and distributed with Steam's Greenlight and Kickstarter and the like, and that's all well and good, I for one can't wait for Shadowrun Returns, something I was more than happy to back.

However certain people have this habit of demonizing publishers just for the sake of it. I'm not saying you're one of those people but I see it enough on a daily basis from the usual suspects that it gets old after awhile reading the same butthurt day in day out.

36. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 16:25 RollinThundr

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:32:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:42:
There's a big difference between a publisher and a distributor. A publisher funds actual development and thus has a significant amount of creative input. A distributor merely distributes the game and has no creative input because they aren't paying for development. If Deep Silver has agreed to handle QA and localization for inXile, that's a pretty good deal. RPGs need a lot of testing and most developers don't have the resources to handle that. Ditto with localization.

Quoting this for truth.

Double quoting for absolute truth. Some people however are so rooted in their "all publishers are evil" vaudeville circus act mentality however to realize the difference between distribution and actually fully funding development on a title. News flash they aren't the same.

14. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:31 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:26:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:18:
Did you bother to read the full announcement? I'll even paste the important part here:

Does this change anything about inXile’s plans in DRM or DLC/expansions?

Not at all, that too remains in our control. Deep Silver is a perfect partner for this: they have no interest in interfering with our promises when it comes to DRM-free release or any future plans we may have for expansions, all our previous promises on these stand. So the only real impact for our backers is that the physical goods fulfillment is in good hands.

I didn't read it, and to be honest I figured it wouldn't make a difference for the backers, same as the Shadowrun deal didn't make a diference for backers. I'm just disgusted that they

A) Decide to still go with a publisher, after he (Brian) just spent the last year bitching about how fucking ASS publishers are to work with. Why can't you just put your game on Steam and Origin and be happy, Brian? You need those extra fifty physical sales so badly that you feel the need to hand it over to a publisher, and to get them involved again? Wasn't the whole fucking POINT of Kickstarter that we could start doing games WITHOUT fucking publishers?? So now you're asking your customers to take all the risk, and in the end Deep Silver still gets their fucking cut. Great. That'll help us get rid of publishers, for sure.

B) They go with Deep Silver, of all fucking publishers they could have gone with. Deep Silver is literally one tiny little fucking notch above EA when it comes to "Will this inconvenience the customer? Ah fuck it, DO IT!" And it's a really, really, really, REALLY tiny fucking notch.

But yeah, I knew better than to worry that my own copy would come with bullshit.

Creston

Did you really just essentially call Deep Silver the same as EA?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2013, 11:11 RollinThundr

Drazula wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 09:34:
C'mon guys. Everyone is trying to make a buck. It is the nature of business that the bigger you get, the more of a scumbag you become.

I dunno I think in Jobs case he made it pretty apparent he was a douchebag all along even before all the success.

5. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 10:37 RollinThundr

Deep Silver seems to be making alot of strides to try and put out decent titles as of late.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 10:18 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:26:
Well, as I said a certain line has to be crossed. I can ignore a lot of personal foibles and political views that don't agree with mine. Goodkind crossed it by putting them into his books. Card went way way way over that line a long time ago.

It's unfortunately starting to infect his actual work if some of his short stories and other books like Flashback are any indicator. I just hope he got it off his chest with one book and doesn't ruin The Abominable with silly social-political claptrap.

He has some of the most extreme right views I've ever encountered (and I lean pretty far to the right) as well as some unapologetic racist views. Anyways I don't want to ruin his stuff for anyone because the man is an amazing writer, just giving context. He has written one of the best sci-fi books of all time and is a gifted author so I can forgive a lot. With Card he kinda had Enders Game and I haven't really enjoyed anything else he has done since plus he's a crazy hypocrite.

Yet he's a registered democrat go figure.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2013, 08:55 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 20:26:
"Jobs's purchase of an e-book for $14.99 at the Launch, and his explanation to a reporter that day that Amazon's $9.99 price for the same book would be irrelevant because soon all prices will "be the same" is further evidence that Apple understood and intended that Amazon's ability to set retail prices would soon be eliminated."

Yeah, Steve Jobs was such a nice guy - so glad everyone fell over themselves stroking his dead pecker about what a great guy he was when he fell out. Bastard.

I didn't, I was cheering when that piece of shit douchebag dropped dead.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2013, 08:09 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 16:26:
Yeah, I can see where someone spending years in jail for smoking a joint is entirely fair and a massive benefit to society.

Rolleyes

Holy ad hom. I doubt people smoke 1 joint and end up in prison for years often if at all. I agree the war on drugs is a waste all around but I highly doubt getting caught with a single joint on you is going to send you to the slammer for years to come.

News Comments > Dota 2 Rollout Details
25. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:27 RollinThundr

briktal wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 16:16:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:50:
Yakubs wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:19:
And also this. Some of the guys I play MWO with have been playing alot of Dota2 lately and I can't for the life of me figure out what is so appealing about running at and away from the enemy team over and over and over in a over glorified tower defense game. It's more proof that dumbing down genres is all the rage these days.

No, it's just proof that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's kind of amusing actually how ignorant what you wrote is. Your impression of the game's depth is just beyond misguided and laughable.

Also, to Smellfinger who implied that Dota2 is for SC2 rejects -- perhaps you should look into SeleCT who tried to transition to Dota2 only to go back to SC2 with his tail between his legs. They're very different games require very different skillsets.

Knowing what hero counters what hero isn't much depth imo. It's just knowing what beats what in a rock paper scissors type of scenario. Moab's are a bastard child of the RTS Genre without any of the fun involved.

If you enjoy them, hey good on you, personally I'd rather play a full fledged RTS with base building and progression.

But an RTS is just about building the units that are counters to your opponent's units.

Sure but there's alot more involved with actual build orders, tech trees and going different routes on how you build your forces.

Dota is more pick a hero, go try and kill the other team rinse repeat. Really it's one of those to each your own type of deals, obviously the genre is popular, why? I have no idea, maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to the genre on the whole.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2013, 15:53 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 14:01:
Between 1970 and 2005, the U.S. prison population grew by 700 percent, far outpacing both population growth and crime. As a result, our country now has 5% of the world's population but 25% of the world's prisoners.

Land of the free, huh?

Yes until you commit crimes that earn you jail time.

21. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:50 RollinThundr

Yakubs wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:19:
And also this. Some of the guys I play MWO with have been playing alot of Dota2 lately and I can't for the life of me figure out what is so appealing about running at and away from the enemy team over and over and over in a over glorified tower defense game. It's more proof that dumbing down genres is all the rage these days.

No, it's just proof that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's kind of amusing actually how ignorant what you wrote is. Your impression of the game's depth is just beyond misguided and laughable.

Also, to Smellfinger who implied that Dota2 is for SC2 rejects -- perhaps you should look into SeleCT who tried to transition to Dota2 only to go back to SC2 with his tail between his legs. They're very different games require very different skillsets.

Knowing what hero counters what hero isn't much depth imo. It's just knowing what beats what in a rock paper scissors type of scenario. Moab's are a bastard child of the RTS Genre without any of the fun involved.

If you enjoy them, hey good on you, personally I'd rather play a full fledged RTS with base building and progression.

18. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:19 RollinThundr

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:33:
Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:11:
A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre.

I don't know what kind of numbers Dota 2 is pulling, but that seems like the general consensus among everyone except the diehards who have been playing this type of game for years. I'm usually able to see the appeal of genres that I don't enjoy, but the MOBA craze totally baffles me. All I can figure is that it appeals to people who like the RTS concept but aren't good enough to play a traditional RTS and feel that 1v1 Starcraft is more stressful than a team-based game like Dota, where they can place blame on other people for their losses.

This

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:11:
A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre. I cannot think of anything more uninteresting and un-fun than a MOBA in all of gaming. Run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, oh the enemy is down there now! Run down there at the enemy, run away from the enemy, use item that allows you to run at the enemy for a slightly longer time! Run away from the enemy, rinse/repeat.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:38 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 23:27:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 22:58:
Modern visuals and game quality are not mutually exclusive. The NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube had both. Weak hardware constricts game development in more ways than visuals. There is nothing special about Nintendo that gives them a free pass to take the lazy route. Judging by the anemic WiiU sales the market seems to agree.

You can have modern visuals with the Wii U, there are already several examples of that and there is no evidence to support what you're claiming, if anything the success of the Wii points to the opposite. The Wii U is a victim of bad marketing a poorly realized controller and too similar naming more than it is of 'anemic' hardware. The hardware is perfectly competent for building HD games of the kind that Nintendo specializes in and that's what people buy Nintendo systems for. Third party matters but most will scale down to meet a successful platform, the Wii U simply needs more first party software and a base, then you will see third parties come back.

When your dev tools are complete shit, and your hardware specs are 6 years outdated, 3rd party publishers tend to want nothing to do with you. Nintendo did this to themselves. Now obviously I can only speak for myself but to me the GC sucked, the Wii sucked and the WiiU sucks as well, relying on gimmick controllers and at this point tired franchises is not the way to lead the pack.

They may have far more money than Sega did after all their hardware mistakes, but fact of the matter is the WiiU is disappointing in sales and quality titles that aren't Nintendo titles. That may be fine for Big N fanboys but to the rest of us it's pretty much failboat.

News Comments > Titanfall Preorders Reveal $60 Price
9. Re: Titanfall Preorders Reveal $60 Price Jul 9, 2013, 12:17 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 10:46:
I thought this was EA Partners? Maybe we'll see a Steam release, I could have sworn one of the Respawn guys talked about it at E3.

There is no more EA Partners, that division was shut down.

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 11:53 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 02:31:
PHJF wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 23:07:
GCN was infinitely better than 64 and has some fantastic titles, but come on, comparing the 64 to PSX? The system with Metal Gear and Castlevania:SOTN and Resident Evil and Silent Hill and Tomb Raider and Brave Fencer and Twisted Metal and Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot and about four billion fantastic jRPGs???

YOU TRIPPIN BALLS, MAN.

I hate jRPGs and love 4 player games.
Man, even the WWF games on the N64 were awesome if you had 4 people.

This I actually agree with, the problem was instead of getting the Ultra 64 with direct ports of Killer Instinct and Cruising the USA/World etc we got a far less powerful system with the usual nintendo franchises and not much for those who were already tired of Mario/zelda typical Nintendo platformers etc.

Golden Eye and some of the WWF games were a blast 4 player, otherwise though the system was outdated tech and specs wise before it ever hit a store shelf.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2013, 18:36 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 17:55:
PHJF wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 16:48:
but the N64 was infinitely better than the PS in my eyes, and the GC was the best of that generation for me, too.

People like to jump on your shit for your conservative-leaning rhetoric, but man alive I'm gonna find you and I'm gonna end you for this one. I was a boy poster child for Nintendo but even I realized how ridiculously better the PSX/PS2 libraries were.

Hahahaa. Man, more than a few people here will probably like to find you and end you for saying that I have conservative leanings. RollinThundr and that other guy love to tell me how in love I am with Obama.

Anyway, I didn't like the PS graphics, and I'd take Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Smash Brothers, Mario, Starfox, etc., over anything on the PS. It probably comes down to whether you played single player or multiplayer, but with 4 controller ports the N64 was unquestionably the better multiplayer system. I played the N64 almost exclusively with 3 other people at any given time.

Conservative leanings he says. lol! Made my whole week there.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 8, 2013, 16:20 RollinThundr

Jivaro wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 22:04:
PHJF wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 17:03:
If one of them were your kids they'd already have broken all contact with you and be like 30 years old.

LMAO...

(sorry Cutter, but that is some funny shit right there....)

It's only funny because it's true.

2460 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo