Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for RollinThundr

Real Name RollinThundr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Banned
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 5, 2009, 08:31
Total Comments 2460 (Senior)
User ID 54946

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2013, 00:01 RollinThundr

Jivaro wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 22:30:
I find it interesting that people are of the opinion that sites that make their money on the gaming industry and it's consumers should not comment or have an opinion about topics that in very real ways affect the gaming industry and it's consumers. I can't say I agree with that viewpoint. Then again, one of my favorite gaming sites was VE3D and from Billy to Robert to Andrew to Ohm to...well all of them spouted off on whatever they felt like. A few people use to complain about that too and I didn't understand it then either.

I recognize that quite a few of you believe that RPS is simply click-hunting, and that might even be true. It doesn't change my overall stance which is that I need sites like RPS to counterbalance sites like IGN.

I don't necessarily think they're click baiting though I'm sure they certainly don't mind the extra traffic their drama provides generally.
I think it's more so the fact that John and company use their gaming site as a soapbox to spout liberal social bullshit towards video games and the industry in general and go about it in completely the wrong way.

What they do doesn't promote debate, just flamewars like their two posts about PAX show. They have a very hive mind way of thinking in that if you don't agree with their methods, you must be totally for rape, or repressed women or whatever "cause" they've decided to rally for this week.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
91. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 16:22 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 16:03:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:56:
My bad you sound so much like Beamer in most posts, all chest pumping and vitriol, little actual discussion that I didn't realize you were two separate people

Not really, you're just very poor at reading and interpreting text apparently.

No I just don't appreciate being attacked personally on a post by post basis. I get it, you think all I do is troll and that's fine. It's your opinion.

News Comments > Op Ed
89. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 15:56 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:39:
Sure thing Bea..Red. sure thing. Serious question, do you ever get tired of trying to pile on people that you disagree with or is it a hobby of yours?

You're misspelling my name, it's Redmask, there is no B in it. Hope that helps, cheers.

My bad you sound so much like Beamer in most posts, all chest pumping and vitriol, little actual discussion that I didn't realize you were two separate people

News Comments > Op Ed
87. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 15:39 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:33:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 14:41:
Game reviews and game forums with occasional political leaning topics in a thread aren't the same thing. Stop being obtuse for the sake of it.

Don't worry, the RPS guys have a ways to go before they catch you in terms of personal causes and political spinning. They're not quite there yet.

Sure thing Bea..Red. sure thing. Serious question, do you ever get tired of trying to pile on people that you disagree with or is it a hobby of yours?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 20, 2013, 15:17 RollinThundr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 14:41:
I don't know why I bother - but

Gunplay won't ever be as smooth as a Saints Row or other open world games of this type

huh~!?

Just the way they do the aiming, that dot is so small and blends in so well it's hard to tell half the time, and imo GTA has always felt a little clunky. Less so though with this release.

News Comments > Op Ed
85. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 14:41 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 13:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 11:45:
Says the same few people that generally add nothing to a conversation but little troll digs on a regular basis. All while whining that someone who doesn't share their opinion was mean to them or whatever. Hello pot, meet kettle.

Hmm well...

Game reviews aren't the forum to air political viewpoints.

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander apparently.

Game reviews and game forums with occasional political leaning topics in a thread aren't the same thing. Stop being obtuse for the sake of it.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 13:31 RollinThundr

Makes one wonder if it was all just for page hits in the first place. Either that or the staff at RPS figured out how to pull their heads outta their asses and look at the entire picture, rather than over dramatizing and looking for an entity to attack politically as their writers seem to have a habit of doing as of late.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 20, 2013, 13:28 RollinThundr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 02:48:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 01:49:
I'm to the point now that I'm sorta grinding through missions, that I would jump into Free Mode andf around by now.

Really!? How much time you got in? I am at 40% and 20 hours, and I don't fee a grind at all. Having a blast and doing all avail character missions before moving forward in main missions.

Finished the plot last night. I was very impressed with not only the amount of twists on missions to begin with throughout the entire game, but the quality of the mechanics themselves being solid for once in a GTA game.

Gunplay won't ever be as smooth as a Saints Row or other open world games of this type, but the mechanics themselves are more responsive than I think they've been in a GTA game to date.

I really enjoyed it, the content was fun.

News Comments > Op Ed
82. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 11:51 RollinThundr

yuastnav wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 03:53:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:29:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:23:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:07:
Well I completely disagree Yuastanav, but hopefully we can agree to disagree rather than start a flame war.

I miss the days when reviews told me just the basics, like was it enjoyable, or was it a slog? Does it keep you playing or did it bore you to tears? Was performance acceptable, or did it chug at times when a lot was going on? Was it stable, or did it crash your computer? Did you feel you got full price value out of it (or more), or did you feel like it was over-priced? How about the story, the setting, the dialog, the voice acting, etc? I couldn't care any less if you think that a game about gangsters is misogynist, or a game based in the Middle East involves too much shooting of brown people. How fucking useless is that? Like I said I find it not only annoying, but arrogant and pretentious as well, as if I need you to illustrate your moral superiority or tell me I should feel the same way about these things. Any reviewer who does it will never get read by me again, and I am pretty sure I have seen each and every hack at RPS do it, so yeah, they suck.

Yeah, I guess we just disagree on that issue.
I find it interesting to read such things because if it's something really jarring then I'd like to know because then I'll know not to buy this product and give the devs who hold such views money.
On the other hand it's almost guaranteed that some pissed off gamers will post their opinions on some forums.

No one is really immoral (apart from people who may not have any morality at all); we all have our own set of standards, sometimes they might be the complete opposite of each other so personally I don't think that they are trying to be pretentious or morally superior.

But yeah, that's just how I feel about it.

Why are the developer's views even a factor? Do you play games because you enjoy them or to critique them on their political merits?

Heck why do you feel entitled to know what a dev has to weight in on any political notion? Has zero to do with the product.

Prez is pretty spot on here not just on game reviews but in general.

I am talking specifically about games where it clearly shines through what kind of views the ones who are responsible for this product hold.
If I play a game where it's blatantly obvious that it's sexist/misogynistic/racist/homomisic/whatever then this is going to have a serious impact on my enjoyment of that product.
Of course it depends on the kind of context we are talking about. Social commentary or critique is one thing but when it's done "just because" or especially when these are the real views of the developers then I don't want to have anything to do with it.

Please name me one game in the last 3-4 years that has a political message that isn't either obvious satire, or a game like GTA where people know what they're getting before they go in?

Video games are the last place we should be pushing political agendas. RPS is one of the few sites that seems to have some fairly politicized staff sprinkling half their posts with political commentary. You don't see that often if at all when it comes to game news sites, and they don't hide the fact.

News Comments > Op Ed
81. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 11:45 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 22:15:
Quboid wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 22:12:
trollindunder wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:24:
Redmask wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 18:25:
trollindunder wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:40:

The irony in this post is overwhelming.

Forums themselves are a different manner. A professional video game review is completely different. Not taking the bait pal.

Was having a drink and just about shot water out of my nose, reading that - kudos!

Says the same few people that generally add nothing to a conversation but little troll digs on a regular basis. All while whining that someone who doesn't share their opinion was mean to them or whatever. Hello pot, meet kettle.

News Comments > Op Ed
73. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 21:29 RollinThundr

yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:23:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 17:07:
Well I completely disagree Yuastanav, but hopefully we can agree to disagree rather than start a flame war.

I miss the days when reviews told me just the basics, like was it enjoyable, or was it a slog? Does it keep you playing or did it bore you to tears? Was performance acceptable, or did it chug at times when a lot was going on? Was it stable, or did it crash your computer? Did you feel you got full price value out of it (or more), or did you feel like it was over-priced? How about the story, the setting, the dialog, the voice acting, etc? I couldn't care any less if you think that a game about gangsters is misogynist, or a game based in the Middle East involves too much shooting of brown people. How fucking useless is that? Like I said I find it not only annoying, but arrogant and pretentious as well, as if I need you to illustrate your moral superiority or tell me I should feel the same way about these things. Any reviewer who does it will never get read by me again, and I am pretty sure I have seen each and every hack at RPS do it, so yeah, they suck.

Yeah, I guess we just disagree on that issue.
I find it interesting to read such things because if it's something really jarring then I'd like to know because then I'll know not to buy this product and give the devs who hold such views money.
On the other hand it's almost guaranteed that some pissed off gamers will post their opinions on some forums.

No one is really immoral (apart from people who may not have any morality at all); we all have our own set of standards, sometimes they might be the complete opposite of each other so personally I don't think that they are trying to be pretentious or morally superior.

But yeah, that's just how I feel about it.

Why are the developer's views even a factor? Do you play games because you enjoy them or to critique them on their political merits?

Heck why do you feel entitled to know what a dev has to weight in on any political notion? Has zero to do with the product.

Prez is pretty spot on here not just on game reviews but in general.

News Comments > Op Ed
72. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 21:24 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 18:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:40:

Forums themselves are a different manner. A professional video game review is completely different. Not taking the bait pal.

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 16:40 RollinThundr

yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:29:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:22:
Redmask wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 15:36:
Prez wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:45:
People keep saying "RPS is great but..." It makes me wonder what is so great about them. Most everything from them nowadays is whiny soapbox preaching and desperate trolling for hits like this BS article. Their current journalist team consists of a bunch of attention-starved hacks from what Ive seen lately. Just because they were good once doesn't mean they are above reproach. Mostly they just suck ass if you judge them on their recent history.

So avoid their opinion pieces? They still do great reviews and other features. There aren't many quality PC sites of their caliber and they tend to ask harder questions in interviews than cheerleaders like IGN.

Admittedly I haven't read a lot of their interviews, so I'll concede that point, but I haven't been all that impressed with their reviews to be honest. Many (most?) of them lack a lot of the key info I look for in a good review. If their self-important preachy viewpoints stayed out of their reviews then I could probably take your advice, but the writers can never seem to just review the game without interjecting their own moral viewpoint into them which is something I find supremely annoying. Their previews are all "Ra-Ra-Ra!" advertising just like most every other games news outlet, so they are pretty useless. I have been reading RPS for a long time so I think I am qualified to say they are the worst they've ever been right now.

Uhm, what?
How is that supposed to work? Every review is going to be based on the preferences, viewpoints and the morality of the one reviewing it.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 13:55 RollinThundr

People keep saying "RPS is great but..." It makes me wonder what is so great about them. Most everything from them nowadays is whiny soapbox preaching and desperate trolling for hits like this BS article. Their current journalist team consists of a bunch of attention-starved hacks from what Ive seen lately. Just because they were good once doesn't mean they are above reproach. Mostly they just suck ass if you judge them on their recent history.

They used to be a lot better. It's some of their writers who can't help but push their own agendas.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 13:55 RollinThundr

They used to be a lot better. It's some of their writer's who can't help but push their own agendas.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 13:44 RollinThundr

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:42:
MajorD wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:27:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:21:
...it takes some real effort to be offended by stuff, or you can just let it slide and save your energy for stuff that really matters.

BINGO!

Yes, sometimes things are said off the cuff, at the wrong time, and/or shouldn’t be said at all, but making a mountain out of a molehill and perpetuating isn’t any better. It has gotten so out of hand to the point of ridiculous, along with political correctness. Everything seems to be about ‘the drama’ these days, so all the drama whores will do anything to create and/or feed off of the drama. Sorry, but there are much more constructive things to worry about and do……

ARMAGARD! SOME OLD WHITE CHICK SAID THE N WORD AT SOME TIME IN THE PAST! RAGE!

And yet a lot of black folks call each other that word every day. In fact, I've heard it about 5,236 times in GTA V already. Take a deep breath, let it go. Move on.

This! ^^ Though I think I've heard it at least double that amount in GTA V already. And Fuck at the middle and end of every sentence in the game pretty much.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 13:24 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:17:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 13:03:
Wouldn't want the resident PC crowd to label you intolerant or anything of that sort.

PC means Progressive Conservative in Canada.

I think when most folks see that term, they think politically correct don't you?

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 13:03 RollinThundr

InBlack wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:59:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:19:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:59:
[...]
There are people out there who think that mentioning "rape" means you support/like rape and those people are incredibly wrong.[...]

Actually this study suggests that exposure to aggressive jokes makes you more hostile.
This study then looks at rape itself and the findings are that exposure to rape jokes does indeed lead to effects similar to what you mentioned, or:
"Our findings indicate that sexist jokes cannot only encourage the tolerance and expression of subtle discrimination in men, but may also lead to a greater self-reported propensity to commit sexual violence against women and also a greater propensity to blame rape victims for their victimization."

I don't know how exact they were in these studies (haven't read the whole article) and I don't know whether it was checked in another study but I'd still be careful with that topic.
I remember reading somewhere else that if for example there is a group of people and among them is someone who raped a woman. If someone makes a rape joke and people, even the ones who have never commited rape and would never do it, laugh it justifies the rape in the rapists mind and he will think that the others are on his side.

If true this would be rather troubling.

So in other words everyone needs to be extra careful at all times when in the company of other people because rapists murderers and other sociopaths will use any excuse to commit a crime? What a load of bullshit. Its a fucking load of PC shit, thats got nothing to do with real life. Im supposed to watch my behaviour because some other person (who doesnt have a conscience) might use subtle clues as justification to commit a crime???? This is exactly whats wrong with todays society, especially western society and the culture of North America particulary. NO MORE PERSONAL FUCKING ACCOUNTABILITY. Fuck that shit.

Careful InBlack, you're starting to sound more and more like a conservative every day brother man. Wouldn't want the resident PC crowd to label you intolerant or anything of that sort.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 12:58 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 11:38:
If you've ever known anyone who's been raped you know it's not a joking matter in any way, shape, or form. So yes, boycott the shit out of it. In fact, do everything possible to see that they lose money.

Which is total bullshit, I know people personally who have been molested who don't jump out of their skin at a passing rape joke or the like. Not everyone is a fragile little snowflake that needs white knighting.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 10:50 RollinThundr

Narf2029 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:41:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:33:
I think people forget here how much PA has supported the LGBT community on the whole and are using this incident as an excuse to go on another useless social justice warrior crusade as usual.

I don't know anything about that one way or the other. If it's true, great. I'd love to see links to things that back this up; I don't mind changing my view on something when offered facts.

However, what bad someone does today carries more weight than anything they did in the past, simply because it's more recent. If PA as a whole does a lot to support the LGBT community then Krahulik is doing almost as much to negate that just by drawing attention away from it.

These are just a few of the actual panels at PaX. Please honestly tell me they don't support the LBGT community. Please. What RPS is doing here is actually almost going against the very causes they are so all for. It's typical social justice bullshit that continues to show its ugly head over and over and over as of late.

Extra Credits: Diversity – a film viewing and Q&A Session
Top Women Game Characters of All Time
Gays in Love (With Their RPG’s)
Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man? A discussion of military servicewomen in Video Games
Everything We Know Is Sexist. Now What?
Creating & Building Inclusive Communities in Tabletop/Board Gaming
Achieving Gender Diversity in Gaming: OK, Now What?
Press XY Presents: Right Before Your Eyes: Transitioning Within a Game Community
Political Correctness in Gaming: Let’s Talk
Queers in Gaming: Gamer vs Gaymer
Gender Diversity in Games: Where Are All The Believable Female Characters?

2460 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo