Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for RollinThundr

Real Name RollinThundr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Banned
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 5, 2009, 08:31
Total Comments 2460 (Senior)
User ID 54946

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
699. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:42 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:33:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:27:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:23:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:17:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:15:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:14:
You're moving the goalpost, now it's only CEO's don't get fired, a minute ago it was no one in business ever gets fired.

No, no I am not. I am using CEOs as examples because they are high profile and it's easy to look at them - Johnny QA being fired never makes headlines.

But, to your point, in my first paragraph I say "President and VP," neither of whom are CEOs, and in my second paragraph I say "People," who certainly aren't CEOs.

Only my second to last sentence says "CEO." It isn't my fault you can't read and project that to all the lines you read before.

The reason they don't say fired is because they step down to save face, it's the same thing, if the share holders want a change, a change they get. Share holders being people, like you and me.

Lol. Most shareholders have little power over consequences for a CEO. They may step down after a major fuckup, but they're still gonna get paid tens of millions on the way out.

Because their contracts say that I'd imagine. Shareholders have more power than you think however.

When, in the last 40 years, has a change been brought about by shareholders other than someone with 5% or more of the company?
It does not happen.

Your belief in shareholder power is antiquated and naÔve. Only a very small amount of shareholders have any power, and these days it's almost exclusively fund managers. Most companies are somewhere between 15% and 33% fund held. Those funds hold power. The hundreds of thousands of other shareholders have no power at all relative to them (interestingly, do you know how tiny a portion of Americans hold any stock at all?)

Much like my believe in the Constitution right? Naive and antiquated?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

694. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:29 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:21:
The reason they don't say fired is because they step down to save face, it's the same thing, if the share holders want a change, a change they get. Share holders being people, like you and me.

Oh, that's cute, you think you're a shareholder with an opinion that matters!
How much do you have in any one company? A few thousand bucks? Maybe a hundred thousand? No one cares what you think. Do you know who matters? The guy with a few hundred million shares. Even in aggregate you simply do not matter. Headlines are made when a Wall Street Wealth Manager, whose fund has a billion dollars in Apple, criticizes Tim Cook, because that Wealth Manager has enough to shake that tree. No one cares when anyone on this forum is angry.

The fact remains, though, people don't get fired. Even the process of shareholders forcing change is a very lengthy process that can take months or years.

But ah, now you're only talking about CEOs. Shareholders don't care if Johnny QA lets lots of mistakes slip. They don't care if Rita Runsonlyonereport is sloppy in her reporting and has a bad attitude. Do these people ever get fired? No, they get ignored and not-promoted until a round of layoffs is an opportune time to say goodbye. It isn't semantics - firing is a "right now" thing, layoffs require waiting.

More adhoms etc. It's like I said, you can't discuss anything without being a complete and utter douche.

692. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:27 RollinThundr

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:23:
You're moving the goalpost, now it's only CEO's don't get fired, a minute ago it was no one in business ever gets fired.

No, no I am not. I am using CEOs as examples because they are high profile and it's easy to look at them - Johnny QA being fired never makes headlines.

But, to your point, in my first paragraph I say "President and VP," neither of whom are CEOs, and in my second paragraph I say "People," who certainly aren't CEOs.

Only my second to last sentence says "CEO." It isn't my fault you can't read and project that to all the lines you read before.

Lol. Most shareholders have little power over consequences for a CEO. They may step down after a major fuckup, but they're still gonna get paid tens of millions on the way out.

Because their contracts say that I'd imagine. Shareholders have more power than you think however.

688. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:17 RollinThundr

687. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:16 RollinThundr

Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:13:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:45:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:37:
Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:26:
Rolling Thunder, it seems ironic to me that you are quick to deny the label yet you are so quick to call people liars who deny the label you assign them.

He's going to say something about ducks now and that will clear the whole thing up.

It must be terrible for you watching this mess unfold and knowing in the back of your mind the opponents of Obamacare were right.

You should clarify what you mean by "right".
It's had a horrible roll out (though working for a private company making public software I didn't expect it to be good anyway) but I still support it. I really hope you were right about Republicans (bizarrely) wanting single-payer now because I do too. But I suspect that was just some crazy talk and what they really want of course is to defund and dismantle the entire reform, I of course do not support that.

/Instead of your folksy duck saying you went with a folksy one about spades. I can't wait for what's next.

Right about it costing more? Right about people losing their plans?
I still think regulation is the only way to attempt to fix the healthcare system if at all, not government mandates ala obamacare.

685. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:14 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:08:
The bold is exactly what I mean, total bullshit.

For one, you work in government, not a corporation.
For another, hey, remember when Ken Kutargi screwed up the PS4 launch. Did he get fired? No, he got promoted to a position with no power and no responsibility. Hey, remember when the President of my last company let one of his VPs sign a long term agreement that hindered our growth. Was he fired? No, he (and the VP involved) were promoted to new positions that had no authority and no responsibility.

People get fired for personal misconduct, like sleeping with an admin. People very rarely get fired for screwing up. It's just not how it works. Blame lawyers, if you must, but in the past five years I can only remember one guy being fired for performance, and everyone was shocked. Everyone else just gets either gets all their power and responsibility removed so that they leave, or they get laid off (which is in no way the same thing as being fired.)

Hey, who was the last CEO fired? I remember a ton resigning (and often remaining on the board), but I can't remember many being sent packing. The Men's Warehouse guy, I suppose.

681. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:08 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:06:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:48:
Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:38:
Sebelius just admitted "adequate" testing was never done before launch. She also admits they don't know the enrollment numbers because the system isn't working. Minutes earlier she said it never crashed and was functioning. Yeah, Obama will be accepting her resignation before the end of the year.

She probably should resign or be fired but unfortunately I don't think that can happen. If she's out, congress will need to approve of the new appointee and the republicans will likely block all appointees because that's how they do. I'm not sure when the next time a recess appointment can be made but if that's the route Obama takes they'll rant and rave about that too of course.

She can't be fired now. Same reason she couldn't be in a business. At this point only she understands how she made the mess she made, so only she can fix it. If you fire her, you lose time replacing her, then lose time while the replacement figures out what went wrong, then lose time while the replacement makes changes (which are often likely to be sweeping.)

No, you do what would happen if she was a project manager or exec at a company - you make her fix it and fix it quickly, then you fire her. But companies never really fire anyone, so more likely you push her into a new position that has no power or responsibility, because that's how I've seen every single corporation I've been at do it (sadly.)

The bold is exactly what I mean, total bullshit.

679. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:05 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:02:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:41:
Rolling Thunder, it seems ironic to me that you are quick to deny the label yet you are so quick to call people liars who deny the label you assign them.

I'll use beamer as an example here. Often brings up the race card in topics that have zero to do with race. Check. Often advocates against corporations while suggesting government can do it better. check. BUT BUT BUSH/CONGRESS Check.

For a while it was like every response in political threads was like a walking talking DNC playbook brought to life.

Bagger does the same thing, it's like they can't discuss something without tossing out a ton of adhoms most of the time, you do it back and they get all butthurt about it.

A spade is a spade is it not?

When a person parrots a liberal ideology 99.9% of the time, what do you expect people to think their leanings are? Conservative?

Your view of reality is so warped, it's hilarious. Anyone whose read your posts in this thread would be laughing their ass off

Yup.
I only bring up race when we're discussing other minorities, and I believe on this very page (it may have been pushed back one) I said , in agreement with Prez: "I'm with you that I'd prefer heavy regulations rather than the government being this involved. The government can't run much of anything well."

So I have no clue how he thinks I've said the government can run anything better. He fails at basic reading.

If you truly believe that Beamer, why do you constantly support the democrats? It defies logic.

678. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 11:04 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:54:
When a person parrots a liberal ideology 99.9% of the time, what do you expect people to think their leanings are? Conservative?

Again I need to ask what does it matter? You obviously think it's worth debating them since you've spent many an hour doing so in this and other threads. So how about addressing their own individual argument instead of what you assume it to be because it sounds to you like the "stock liberal argument"? Again it's ironic, because I have to say that in fairness that your argument smacks of jingoism too, but even then I try to absorb what you are saying. If a person thinks big government is the answer to the country's ills then that is their personal belief. If you honestly think you are going to change their mind on that by beating them over the head with what sounds like conservative talk radio bullet points then you might want to rethink that, because you are not. Antagonizing Seph the way you did in the last post you made to him was just childish.

What does it matter? political bias doesn't matter or is that like Hillary type of what does it matter?

I'm not going to change their mind I realize that, they obviously believe that big government is great and for them while all the evidence and facts say the opposite regardless of party.

I would like them to seriously think about their views however and hopefully realize that advocating for bigger and more government is about the last thing any American should be doing if they value their rights and freedoms. This isn't about idelogy or right vs left. It's logic.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Antialiasing Tip
5. Re: No shit sherlock Oct 30, 2013, 10:57 RollinThundr

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:50:
It ain't call POST AA for nothing... POST AA is BLUR it is not AA no matter how much bullshit Nvidia and AMD spew, post added AA is inferior, always, every time. Unless the guys who coded the shader had half a braincell left and added a 2 pass luma sharpening filter. (1 before, 1 after FXAA pass)

Motion Blur, Post AA, Depth of Field and AO are the settings I instantly turned off in the beta.... because these big AAA games always fuck up something that is absolutely mind numbing easy to understand.

If you add AA in post, you have to SHARPEN THE FUCKING IMAGE (luma based)

Bah, Bah bah. (Angry because this is so simple and yet developers don't do it...)

Has nothing to do with Consoles. FXAA can look awesome if proper SINC (I guess including an Anti-Ringing filter) luma sharpening is applied.

This ^^
BUT BUT MUH CONSOLITUS!

673. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 10:46 RollinThundr

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:38:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:30:
I haven't had much time to research it yet, but I would still love to know if it's true that they only had a couple of weeks to do integration testing. If so, then how the hell did that happen? They should have had months for that.

It is true. The contractors confirmed it and in the words of Kathleen Sebelius was an "acceptable risk". The Obama admin is either really stupid or they deliberately launched knowing how much of a disaster it would be.

[Edit] Sebelius just admitted "adequate" testing was never done before launch. She also admits they don't know the enrollment numbers because the system isn't working. Minutes earlier she said it never crashed and was functioning. Yeah, Obama will be accepting her resignation before the end of the year.

No he won't, he'll prolly promote her for a job well done.

672. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 10:45 RollinThundr

Sepharo wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:37:

He's going to say something about ducks now and that will clear the whole thing up.

It must be terrible for you watching this mess unfold and knowing in the back of your mind the opponents of Obamacare were right.

671. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 10:41 RollinThundr

I'll use beamer as an example here. Often brings up the race card in topics that have zero to do with race. Check. Often advocates against corporations while suggesting government can do it better. check. BUT BUT BUSH/CONGRESS Check.

For a while it was like every response in political threads was like a walking talking DNC playbook brought to life.

Bagger does the same thing, it's like they can't discuss something without tossing out a ton of adhoms most of the time, you do it back and they get all butthurt about it.

A spade is a spade is it not?

664. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 10:19 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 10:11:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:20:
It doesn't, I'm not in the party that advocates more and more government oversight...

If you are Republican though you still are though. (Not sure if you are or not, just saying IF) The governemnt grew by leaps and bounds with the last two Republican administrations, especially the last one. It's espeically hard to think that much would be different had Romney somehow won in 2012. We'd still be spying on people under the guise of the horrid "Patriot Act", and we'd probably still be dealing with the ACA. It would be the height of hypocricy for him to try to repeal the ACA when he got the same damn thing instituted in Massachusettes as governor.

The Democrats defending it are finished.

I wouldn't be so sure - the democrat voters are as vehemently fanatical about their "team" as you are for yours I think.

I'm not a republican, I'm independent who leans more towards libertarian at this point and I don't trust all of those guys either. I also live in Mass like I've said before, I was opposed to Romneycare as well, and still am, health insurance in this state is also completely out of control.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed
55. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 09:52 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:30:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:25:
I get what you're saying, but it's not entirely accurate, sure something like Wing Commander done right would be expensive, actors don't come cheap, especially named ones, but you seem to be suggesting that with the amount of gamers that are out there today, and it's more than ever, that they couldn't be profitable, call it a difference of opinion but I disagree.

I think you're misreading what hes saying. He's saying it can't be profitable for EA, not that it can't be profitable at all. I can't really argue with that logic either, EA made some token efforts with EA Partners to do smaller projects but has largely given up on it. I think Titanfall is the only EAP project left. For better or for worse they are committed to the 30mil+ budget stuff with DLC and other revenue stream crap. If SimCity is any indication then I say it's for worse

Ahh ok I get it then, sorry bout that, well if that's the case then they're fucking themselves and deserve the inevitable fate that's coming.

53. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 09:25 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 08:41:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 07:30:
No I got exactly what you said, you said the market isn't big enough MUH 5 MILLION SALES! I disagree, posted reasons why and here you are still tossing out personal attacks in a reply rather than having a rational discussion. Grow up.

No, actually that's a poor paraphrasing that doesn't include relevant text which just proves my point.

This isn't difficult to understand, EA is a massive company and needs to see certain returns product cycles to continue operation. They set this up as a F2P game in the hopes of ongoing revenue instead of unit sales, not an unreasonable expectation considering how the past several C&C games have sold. Unfortunately they misread the market as the average C&C gamer doesn't want F2P mechanics, particularly since RTS games are so balance dependent.

This sort of game is better off with a mid-tier publisher who can give it a respectable budget, cater to the fans with an attractive product and still achieve profitability. EA is not that company anymore, they are in the blockbuster business and have admitted several times that they need to see major unit sales to continue making games and also want post-release revenue (See Dead Space and Dragon Age II interviews).

If EA Management doesn't change that line of thinking they won't be around another decade. They spent about 32 dollars on Dragon Age 2 development, they didn't need to sell 5 million to be profitable on it.

I get what you're saying, but it's not entirely accurate, sure something like Wing Commander done right would be expensive, actors don't come cheap, especially named ones, but you seem to be suggesting that with the amount of gamers that are out there today, and it's more than ever, that they couldn't be profitable, call it a difference of opinion but I disagree.

660. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 09:20 RollinThundr

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 09:18:

Since when does this kind of totally unsurprising thing only apply to this administration? Once again, you're a moron.

It doesn't, I'm not in the party that advocates more and more government oversight, moron.

658. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 09:12 RollinThundr

More proof this entire administration is totally corrupt.

http://tinyurl.com/ndyxraq

Apparently not satisfied with just setting fire to the 4th Amendment, NSA boss Keith Alexander's next target is the 1st Amendment. In an interview with the Defense Department's "Armed With Science" blog, it appears that Alexander felt he'd have a friendly audience, so he let loose with some insane claims, including suggesting that the government needs to find a way to "stop" journalists from reporting on the Snowden leaks.

"I think itís wrong that newspaper reporters have all these documents, the 50,000ówhatever they have and are selling them and giving them out as if theseóyou know it just doesnít make sense," Alexander said in an interview with the Defense Department's "Armed With Science" blog.

"We ought to come up with a way of stopping it. I donít know how to do that. Thatís more of the courts and the policymakers but, from my perspective, itís wrong to allow this to go on," the NSA director declared.

Not surprisingly, though hilariously, the blogger for the Defense Department's "Armed With Science," Jessica Tozer doesn't appear to challenge any of Alexander's claims. Instead, she repeats all the statements and mocks anyone who might challenge them.

Keep advocating bigger government liberals, so trusting. So retarded and naive as to how the world actually works.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2013, 09:19.

50. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 07:30 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 07:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 23:19:
I disagree, look at the numbers Wasteland and Project Eternity brought in, hell look at Star Citizen and that's a very niche fanbase.

If EA were to make another full fledged Wing Commander, actors and all, or another C&C Generals, it would sell fine. There's enough gamers still around that remember those series to support them.

Horrible reading comprehension as usual, specifically the part of my post where I said a publisher like EA isn't setup to profitably make those types of games and doesn't seem interested in reorganizing itself to do so. It's not a question of whether it would sell, its whether it would sell enough to satisfy the blackhole budgets EA operates with.

No I got exactly what you said, you said the market isn't big enough MUH 5 MILLION SALES! I disagree, posted reasons why and here you are still tossing out personal attacks in a reply rather than having a rational discussion. Grow up.

657. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2013, 07:25 RollinThundr

It's so cute how pissed you get beamer when someone calls you out for being such a liberal shill. Let the hate flow.  

2460 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo