Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Lowe

Real Name Kevin Lowe   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2009, 02:05
Total Comments 149 (Novice)
User ID 54930

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
27. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 17:41 Kevin Lowe

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:26:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:40:
nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:16:
Robb seems like his heart is in the right place, but just as that 2K representative lurked at the back of the room, a massive corporation with stock and investors looms over the whole operation.

Tells you all you need to know.

Hey, Robb? Think about who you shack up with next time, and maybe people won't think badly of you?

Which non-shady organization are you thinking of that's willing to fund a AAA game development project?

The one they left?
The one that declined to fund their game and let them leave?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 11:40 Kevin Lowe

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:16:
Robb seems like his heart is in the right place, but just as that 2K representative lurked at the back of the room, a massive corporation with stock and investors looms over the whole operation.

Tells you all you need to know.

Hey, Robb? Think about who you shack up with next time, and maybe people won't think badly of you?

Which non-shady organization are you thinking of that's willing to fund a AAA game development project?

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
43. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 18:34 Kevin Lowe

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:29:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:23:
Where's the fun in any of that? What's so awful about just playing by the rules?

Nobody is cheating, and no rules are being broken, it's just using different input devices to try and get something that works better for you. You're still emulating an analog device with a mouse in the end, and if someone is adept with the thumbstick, they are going to just as good, if not better. I just wouldnt have to learn how to use a shitty thumbstick for competitive fps, which would be a plus in my book.

All of this is just hyperbole about what could possibly happen with the streaming option, and I dont own and dont plan on owning an xBone ever, but if I did, I would have no problem with using a mouse/kb on it, even if by default others cant. Not a thumbstick FPS guy, and never will be.
Except that your explicitly stated intent was to "stomp controller noobs." If you want to play FPS with a mouse, why not just play against other mouse users?

40. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 18:23 Kevin Lowe

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:12:

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:11:
How does going into someone else's level playing field with your own advantage in any way, shape, or form even vaguely resemble fun?
There is no level playing field. Simple as that. People have used adapters like this for consoles for over a decade. I suppose you think the PC is a "level playing field" too? Anyone can get an upper hand by using the tools at their disposal, whether it be a cut corner for a post-it note being used for a crosshair, config/ini tweaks to give an advantage wherever you can, etc..
Where's the fun in any of that? What's so awful about just playing by the rules?

37. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 18:11 Kevin Lowe

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 15:42:
It'll be fun once someone comes up with a good controller-to-mouse emulator to stomp controller noobs on the PC with streaming.
How does going into someone else's level playing field with your own advantage in any way, shape, or form even vaguely resemble fun?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 18:34 Kevin Lowe

Wildone wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 17:40:
its already good on the Rift, so how much more on the CV1?! Im lovin the immersion
The problem with Elite on the Rift (and SC, and anything else going this route) is that it works great as a seated experience with HOTAS in hand, but what happens when switching into FPS mode? Now you have to fumble around, unable to see your desk, until you find your mouse and keyboard. And then back, to take off. Interdicted, prepare for boarding? Prepare to switch controls again. And back. And forth. Over. And over.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB
49. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 9, 2015, 09:34 Kevin Lowe

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 19:41:

Man, I wish there was like a service where you just send all your hardware, they test it whether it still works fine and give you a fair price and if it's broken you just pay some fixed fee for recycling or whatever...

The concept definitely exists (that's what an escrow service is), but I'm not aware of one for computer hardware.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Server "Strike" Plans
66. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 4, 2015, 14:19 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 11:08:

Your assumption about what those players are doing is flawed. Many people play on relatively empty servers to learn the map or to fool around with a friend. A simple snapshot of server pops is too vague anyway, there are a lot of factors at play. Some maps and game type combinations are empty simply because they aren't popular and no amount of matchmaking will fix that. I'm not particularly convinced by your claims that matchmaking creates better balance either, my experience with several console FPS games with MM like Titanfall were not positive in that regard.

People use the server browser because they like it, playlists don't give you the same granular level of control over what you're looking for. They can matchmake right now and choose not to. I don't really care if you think its optimal or not according to an algorithm, people don't want to lose that sort of control. What works for Halo isn't necessarily applicable to other games like Battlefield.

That being said, Battlefield has always been about many options so I don't see any reason why they can't have a server toggle for admins to have matchmaking only players on their servers. By all means, you can rent a server and go nuts. I think you'll quickly see how popular that idea is with the player base.
So wait, are you in favor of options, or against dividing the player base (which options, by definition, do)?

Besides, one of the complaints listed above is that it's hard to start a server with custom presets without a community to seed it. This echoes a complaint I heard when the game first launched; that players weren't seeing their servers because of the official filter being too restrictive. If that filter wasn't being used, then why would this be a complaint? And if it's all about options, then wouldn't the filter go unused?

64. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 4, 2015, 10:53 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 09:56:

Which still makes no sense, diluting and splitting up the player base to suit a personal foible. That also creates a whole raft of technical challenges from a design perspective that are just needless, MM players exist with those using server browsers just fine already in BF4.
By necessity, the player base is already divided up - into 24, 32, 48, 64-player chunks. As long as the matches are filled, what does it matter what other divisions exist?

Besides, it's not like the technical challenges are insurmountable. The Halo series has been matching players this way for a long time - ranked players go into matchmaking and are matched by Elo rating; players who wish to form their own matches go into the unranked pool. Problem solved.

Finally, if your concern is splitting up the player base, then having players self-organize is a terrible idea. They'll never be as efficient at bringing players together as a centralized matchmaking service. A quick look at Battlelog shows plenty of servers occupied by 1, 2, 4 players. If a matchmaking service had put them all together, they'd be playing right now instead of seeding a server and hoping for others to show up.

62. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 3, 2015, 18:37 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:15:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 10:13:
I get that others value it, but personally I wouldn't miss the community aspect of dedicated servers at all. As long as the technical advantages are covered (no host advantage, no client-side access to the memory containing the authoritative copy of the game world state), I'm happy.

That's just shifting the goalposts. You made an argument for matchmaking over dedicated servers that I was debunking. Dedicated servers have a wealth of advantages over matchmaking and you still have the option of matchmaking in BF4 regardless. The problem here is not with dedicated servers but how Dice handles the rollouts and so on.
My argument was for matchmaking onto dedicated servers, not over dedicated servers. Just not the same servers that the server browser puts people onto.

59. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 18:30 Kevin Lowe

Endo wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 15:23:
So basically, you'd be content with AI that plays as well as you do.

Matchmakers mostly defeat the purpose of multiplayer, which is to interact with other players. People don't interact much if at all with players they've never seen before and probably will never see again. Or if they do "interact", it's nothing but trolling, name-calling, etc. etc. It's bad enough in WoT that they put in the option for players to disable chat.

Honestly, AI that plays as well as a player would be better than a multiplayer matchmaker system.
Is that really the purpose of multiplayer? Or is it just to overcome the limitations of AI?

54. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 10:13 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 09:22:

You can't quantify many of these things in a meaningful way and you can't predict how a random group of 64 people will interact based on them. Matchmaking robs players of community servers which can breed all of those tendencies you list above and do it in a more natural manner while allowing a greater degree of socialization. Matchmaking simply isn't necessary, these things are already well served here. The problem is with Dice's handling of the server side aspects of this game.
I get that others value it, but personally I wouldn't miss the community aspect of dedicated servers at all. As long as the technical advantages are covered (no host advantage, no client-side access to the memory containing the authoritative copy of the game world state), I'm happy.

If anything, moving the servers from community control to centralized services would make me more likely to pay my share of the costs - I'm not going to chip in for a community server that I'm unlikely to play on more than once or twice, but a virtual server service that can spin up any game I want and populate it with opponents on demand? That I'd pay for.

40. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 22:50 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 19:32:

You can't use a MM for BF games effectively due to friend queuing anyway. Teamwork is the most important metric in a Battlefield game, all matchmaking does is piss off veteran players who like the community aspect of finding a server they enjoy playing on that is well administrated.

Matchmaking sucks, its an option already and there is no reason to do away with server browsers, they offer an objectively superior experience in every aspect and the argument for MM as a game skill equalizer is weak at best.
MechWarrior Online is able to matchmake with groups of friends just fine. It's not insurmountable.

Besides, skill matching isn't the only potential advantage. I listed of a couple of others, but it comes down to the fact that by collecting data during play, we can figure our just what kind of player everyone is and use those metrics to match them with like-minded individuals. I'm thinking of talkativeness, tendency to stick together, tendency to focus on objectives, etc..

I spend all day writing software that crunches data to help others make better decisions - why aren't we taking advantage of data to make better matches?

25. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 18:00 Kevin Lowe

Slick wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 17:49:
BF has had match making for a while, it's the PLAY NOW button.

however any MM solution only works when you have a critical mass of concurrent players, otherwise it's a mess.

I'm partial to a data-driven experience for normal ranked play, with dedicated servers handling all the custom server options.

but still, look at the new CoD, it's MM and on day 2 %90 of the playlists were empty. i've literally never played %90 of the game modes in that game, because there are 0 games found, and waiting for 15 minutes to see one other person jump in then right out of the lobby is pretty painful.

IMO any MM function HAS to be "all-in" ie. everyone just clicks PLAY NOW and it decides the game mode etc. if you want choice, then pick your own dedicated server. then you SHOULD have enough players to kickstart all the cool gamemodes i never play.

BF4's Play Now just drops you into a server from the browser list; if anyone can join any server, then it completely circumvents the MM's ability to maintain a fair game.

20. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 17:26 Kevin Lowe

DangerDog wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 16:04:
The reaction from dice will most likely be that games going forward won't have any dedicated servers and just be instanced from a cluster of servers hosted by Amazon or Microsoft, 64 player games be damned if need be.

Hardline will still have dedicated servers but who wants to bet that the Star Wars flavored Battlefield game is "one click play" match making on instanced servers.
I know this is presented as a bad thing, but really, that's my ideal. Compare stats, find 23/31/47/63 equally skilled players, start a VM with the game server, pick 3 similar players by factors such as tendency to play the objective vs. killing, lone wolf vs. following orders, talkativeness, etc. and squad me with them.

A data-driven approach to creating the perfect game every time? Sign me up.

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
20. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:53 Kevin Lowe

Jerykk wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:14:
The best way to address piracy is to give people value. Steam is a perfect example of this. When it first came out, people hated it (and deservedly so). However, over time, Valve improved and expanded it and now most people love it. Speaking anecdotally, I know I and others stopped pirating games because getting them on Steam was more appealing. That's how you address piracy. Create value, don't remove it.

They created a PC exclusive (for now), priced it well below the usual $60 mark, put it on Steam, knocked an extra 10% off, had a free test version....

How many more boxes do they have to check off before they no longer deserve to have their work pirated? Where's the fucking line?

This comment was edited on Dec 29, 2014, 16:01.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
37. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 08:14 Kevin Lowe

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 06:43:
waiting for the $9.99 or less single player version.
And people wonder why niche genres die out.

News Comments > Op Ed
75. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 21:59 Kevin Lowe

From a real world perspective, I get that GTA is mysogynist, but from a gaming perspective? By the end of GTA III, you no longer value money. By the end of GTA IV, you no longer value health. The only stat you are rewarded for monitoring in GTA is body armor, and prostitutes don't affect that in the slightest. I don't even remember the last time I noticed one in game, let alone picked one up. You could take them out of the game and I wouldn't even notice.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 13:03 Kevin Lowe

KTR wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 12:45:
I guess Gamma is a new way of calling a release candidate.
Not new; the terms have been interchangeable for at least a decade.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
72. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 19, 2014, 15:19 Kevin Lowe

Task wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:34:
Gonna have to -1 both your posts. Sharing is Caring, its what you are taught as a kid, no? Blackbeard's ghost sends his regards.

I think you're missing an important part of sharing; that is, giving what is yours to help others. Giving what is someone else's isn't remotely the same thing.

149 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo