Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Lowe

Real Name Kevin Lowe   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2009, 02:05
Total Comments 159 (Novice)
User ID 54930

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3
17. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 13:32 Kevin Lowe

El Pit wrote on May 18, 2015, 12:21:
We, from nVidia, have worked closely with CDProject to give GeForce owners the perfect gaming experience with The Witcher 3. CDProject informed us of their image quality downgrade to give console owners a better experience (to quote a console owner: "Waaaaah! My PS4 ruuuuuuuules! Witcher 3 must look bad or even better worse on a pc than on my PS4! Waaaaaaah!"), and therefore our new Witcher 3 gaming enhancement drivers will underclock your GPU and turn off half of your video card memory. Experience the same frame stuttering that proud console owners will love! Remember: We at nVidia and CDproject LOVE pc gamers!
As a console gamer, I really don't get this. Where are these people complaining when a PC version looks better than a console version? Do they actually exist, or are you just assuming that that's what we think?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
42. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 25, 2015, 08:51 Kevin Lowe

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 02:31:
In a real space sim they should actually just disable mouse and keyboard as soon as you leave the main menu and the game engine starts loading. Fuck the casual n00bs who can't fly for shit!

^ zero sarcasm included by the way. Seriously. Fuck casual n00blets who want a Space Invaders action clickfest or Call of Duty in space instead of a sim.

HOTAS FTW! It's the only way. The only pure way for the enlightened ones. The way of the pros. My way...
So I assume that you're flying FA off 100% of the time? I mean, fuck casual n00bs who can't handle Newtonian physics from the moment they undock, right? This is a space sim, not casual trash like X-Wing, Wing Commander, or Freespace!

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
30. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 11:49 Kevin Lowe

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 10:36:

You are joking, but a USB drive delivery option seems like a good idea. 100GB is a mighty big download.
USB distribution has been included in pledge packages from the beginning.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
32. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 10:10 Kevin Lowe

"Sadly, as consoles took over"
Which Descent game is he thinking of that wasn't on consoles? Even its weird cousin Forsaken was on consoles.

News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 09:36 Kevin Lowe

What is Sarkeesian doing that constitutes "bullying" vs. ordinary pressure?  

News Comments > Op Ed
76. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 08:26 Kevin Lowe

NKD wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 08:00:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 07:49:

The whole point of criticism isn't to force developers to do things differently. It's to convince them to want to do better.

Not everyone has the same idea of what is "better." Some people are very opposed to violence in video games and don't think violent games should be developed. Should developers all strive to remove violence from their games?

Is that "better"?

Developers are free to create what they want, and consumers are free to purchase what they want. That's how this works. If games you find offensive are selling big numbers, then what? Should those customers have their favorite games discontinued or sanitized because your feelings are hurt?
The developers themselves still get to decide what's better. There's a bit in Console Wars about how Tom Kalinske thought about the criticism violence in games was receiving and felt uncomfortable with what he was helping to produce. Should he not have been allowed to hear that criticism or have those doubts?

News Comments > Op Ed
74. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 07:49 Kevin Lowe

NKD wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 03:39:
beremot wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:10:
The tide of history, is not on your side.

The "tide of history" is going to do what, exactly? Remove all tropes from video games? Remove developers right to create whatever the fuck they want even if it offends some people? Because that's the "side" most of us here are on.

What is it you see the "tide of history" bringing us in terms of games?
Remember the change Ken Levine made to BioShock Infinite after a team member protested a religious element of the game? Was that a loss of creative freedom?

The whole point of criticism isn't to force developers to do things differently. It's to convince them to want to do better.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 18:29 Kevin Lowe

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 16:35:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 15:26:
Which specific feminist are you thinking of that proclaims it's okay to lie about rape?
Take your pick. Remember the UAV case? After it came out as fake, various feminists said it doesn't matter. It was okay to do this because "rape culture." Remember the case with Meg Lanker-Simons? Same deal. You can find the "even if it's fake, it's still true." Comments and stories on both of them.
Precisely the answer I was looking for. Now, how were those comments received? Were those individuals held up as standard-bearers for feminism, or publicly decried as extremists?

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 15:26 Kevin Lowe

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 14:40:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 14:16:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:47:
All that 'oppression' and 'demoralization'? Hey, take one look at how they treat their critics: cast them as horrible misogynists who advocate raping women.
Is it really "casting" if it actually happened?

So if someone says 'feminism is a movement dedicated to telling lies about rape to get attention and influence', and they can pull an example of a feminist lying about rape, it's not 'casting' and is also a completely fair description? I have the funny feeling that would then be a case of horrible overgeneralizing, and yet another instance of using power to demoralize and oppress.

Sark and company are going to have to do more than tone down their rhetoric. They are going to have to treat disagreement with them, even deep disagreement, as acceptable. The 'we will bury you' schtick didn't work - it's time to share the stage.
Which specific feminist are you thinking of that proclaims it's okay to lie about rape?

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 14:16 Kevin Lowe

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:47:
All that 'oppression' and 'demoralization'? Hey, take one look at how they treat their critics: cast them as horrible misogynists who advocate raping women.
Is it really "casting" if it actually happened?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
27. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 17:41 Kevin Lowe

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:26:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 11:40:
nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:16:
Robb seems like his heart is in the right place, but just as that 2K representative lurked at the back of the room, a massive corporation with stock and investors looms over the whole operation.

Tells you all you need to know.

Hey, Robb? Think about who you shack up with next time, and maybe people won't think badly of you?

Which non-shady organization are you thinking of that's willing to fund a AAA game development project?

The one they left?
The one that declined to fund their game and let them leave?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 11:40 Kevin Lowe

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:16:
Robb seems like his heart is in the right place, but just as that 2K representative lurked at the back of the room, a massive corporation with stock and investors looms over the whole operation.

Tells you all you need to know.

Hey, Robb? Think about who you shack up with next time, and maybe people won't think badly of you?

Which non-shady organization are you thinking of that's willing to fund a AAA game development project?

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
43. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 18:34 Kevin Lowe

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:29:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:23:
Where's the fun in any of that? What's so awful about just playing by the rules?

Nobody is cheating, and no rules are being broken, it's just using different input devices to try and get something that works better for you. You're still emulating an analog device with a mouse in the end, and if someone is adept with the thumbstick, they are going to just as good, if not better. I just wouldnt have to learn how to use a shitty thumbstick for competitive fps, which would be a plus in my book.

All of this is just hyperbole about what could possibly happen with the streaming option, and I dont own and dont plan on owning an xBone ever, but if I did, I would have no problem with using a mouse/kb on it, even if by default others cant. Not a thumbstick FPS guy, and never will be.
Except that your explicitly stated intent was to "stomp controller noobs." If you want to play FPS with a mouse, why not just play against other mouse users?

40. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 18:23 Kevin Lowe

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:12:

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 18:11:
How does going into someone else's level playing field with your own advantage in any way, shape, or form even vaguely resemble fun?
There is no level playing field. Simple as that. People have used adapters like this for consoles for over a decade. I suppose you think the PC is a "level playing field" too? Anyone can get an upper hand by using the tools at their disposal, whether it be a cut corner for a post-it note being used for a crosshair, config/ini tweaks to give an advantage wherever you can, etc..
Where's the fun in any of that? What's so awful about just playing by the rules?

37. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 18:11 Kevin Lowe

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 15:42:
It'll be fun once someone comes up with a good controller-to-mouse emulator to stomp controller noobs on the PC with streaming.
How does going into someone else's level playing field with your own advantage in any way, shape, or form even vaguely resemble fun?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 18:34 Kevin Lowe

Wildone wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 17:40:
its already good on the Rift, so how much more on the CV1?! Im lovin the immersion
The problem with Elite on the Rift (and SC, and anything else going this route) is that it works great as a seated experience with HOTAS in hand, but what happens when switching into FPS mode? Now you have to fumble around, unable to see your desk, until you find your mouse and keyboard. And then back, to take off. Interdicted, prepare for boarding? Prepare to switch controls again. And back. And forth. Over. And over.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB
49. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 9, 2015, 09:34 Kevin Lowe

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 19:41:

Man, I wish there was like a service where you just send all your hardware, they test it whether it still works fine and give you a fair price and if it's broken you just pay some fixed fee for recycling or whatever...

The concept definitely exists (that's what an escrow service is), but I'm not aware of one for computer hardware.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Server "Strike" Plans
66. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 4, 2015, 14:19 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 11:08:

Your assumption about what those players are doing is flawed. Many people play on relatively empty servers to learn the map or to fool around with a friend. A simple snapshot of server pops is too vague anyway, there are a lot of factors at play. Some maps and game type combinations are empty simply because they aren't popular and no amount of matchmaking will fix that. I'm not particularly convinced by your claims that matchmaking creates better balance either, my experience with several console FPS games with MM like Titanfall were not positive in that regard.

People use the server browser because they like it, playlists don't give you the same granular level of control over what you're looking for. They can matchmake right now and choose not to. I don't really care if you think its optimal or not according to an algorithm, people don't want to lose that sort of control. What works for Halo isn't necessarily applicable to other games like Battlefield.

That being said, Battlefield has always been about many options so I don't see any reason why they can't have a server toggle for admins to have matchmaking only players on their servers. By all means, you can rent a server and go nuts. I think you'll quickly see how popular that idea is with the player base.
So wait, are you in favor of options, or against dividing the player base (which options, by definition, do)?

Besides, one of the complaints listed above is that it's hard to start a server with custom presets without a community to seed it. This echoes a complaint I heard when the game first launched; that players weren't seeing their servers because of the official filter being too restrictive. If that filter wasn't being used, then why would this be a complaint? And if it's all about options, then wouldn't the filter go unused?

64. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 4, 2015, 10:53 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 4, 2015, 09:56:

Which still makes no sense, diluting and splitting up the player base to suit a personal foible. That also creates a whole raft of technical challenges from a design perspective that are just needless, MM players exist with those using server browsers just fine already in BF4.
By necessity, the player base is already divided up - into 24, 32, 48, 64-player chunks. As long as the matches are filled, what does it matter what other divisions exist?

Besides, it's not like the technical challenges are insurmountable. The Halo series has been matching players this way for a long time - ranked players go into matchmaking and are matched by Elo rating; players who wish to form their own matches go into the unranked pool. Problem solved.

Finally, if your concern is splitting up the player base, then having players self-organize is a terrible idea. They'll never be as efficient at bringing players together as a centralized matchmaking service. A quick look at Battlelog shows plenty of servers occupied by 1, 2, 4 players. If a matchmaking service had put them all together, they'd be playing right now instead of seeding a server and hoping for others to show up.

62. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 3, 2015, 18:37 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:15:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 10:13:
I get that others value it, but personally I wouldn't miss the community aspect of dedicated servers at all. As long as the technical advantages are covered (no host advantage, no client-side access to the memory containing the authoritative copy of the game world state), I'm happy.

That's just shifting the goalposts. You made an argument for matchmaking over dedicated servers that I was debunking. Dedicated servers have a wealth of advantages over matchmaking and you still have the option of matchmaking in BF4 regardless. The problem here is not with dedicated servers but how Dice handles the rollouts and so on.
My argument was for matchmaking onto dedicated servers, not over dedicated servers. Just not the same servers that the server browser puts people onto.

159 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo