Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Lowe

Real Name Kevin Lowe   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2009, 02:05
Total Comments 109 (Novice)
User ID 54930

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
103. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 16, 2014, 00:04 Kevin Lowe

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:48:
Let's not forget that, earlier this year, the company was said to be prepping an IPO that valued it at over $7.5 billion.

So, again, if Wall Street was willing to say something was worth $7.5 billion, and Microsoft bought it for $2.5 billion, I'd say it's nowhere near as easy to immediately write off as so many here are doing.

Cite: see my post below for that $7.6 billion valuation.
I have to wonder, though, how much of that value included keeping the team in place. NeXT wouldn't have been worth a whole lot without getting Steve Jobs in the process, for example. I'm not sure Notch could have been retained at any price - taking his statement at face value, upping the bid would likely have had an inverse effect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 11:46 Kevin Lowe

Fion wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:07:
The clear winner here is the PC. As usual.
This is somewhat myopic. The comments on the Ars article go into detail about why a console or PC is the best choice on an individual basis. You don't have to adopt others' perspectives, but at least be aware that they're valid.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
60. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 15:10 Kevin Lowe

Slick wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 14:48:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 13:59:
Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 23:08:
that being said, i do think this is probably my best choice, i've heard that the pro variant of the x52 has bettere tracking on the stick? better hall sensors? also, how do you find the tension on the x52 stick? the detents on the throttle?
The X-55 has a much better sensor setup than the 52. I hear that the magnet mod on a 52 Pro is just as good though. There have been some quality issues reported with the 55, but I must have got a lucky one.

If you're buying all new, the X-55 is my recommendation.

nice, glad to confirm. i was leaning towards the X-55 anyways, but right when i'm about to make a decision, i read a review which totally pans whatever i've chosen. quality issues seem to be real, but that might have been early production issues, it's been out for almost a year now i think right?

i've read that the twist rudder is pretty stiff, which to me is a plus because there's less chance of accidental inputs. also i've read that the stick tension is stiffer closer to the middle and less near the outside edge of general stick x/y movement. some people don't like it, but without trying it myself, i'd think of it as ideal? so that you have more resistance closer to the deadzone for greater precision when you're a few pixels off from lining your shots up, and vice-versa nice and loose when you're just making a high-G turn as fast as possible.

i figure if i get it from amazon, i should be covered pretty well incase it falls apart, have to see what the manufacturer's warranty is...

what do you use to "strafe" with the X-55 setup? i've heard that none of these new sticks can have the "mouse nipple" input mapped to anything other than mouse input, so you'd need to use one of the hats, are the hats on the throttle comfortable? does it all just sit nicely in your hand? or are you having to strain a bit to reach anything/doesn't sit naturally. last thing: they removed the customizable base adjustment from the stick from the X-52, does it matter? i have kinda small hands, and i'm wondering if it's going to be a strain to reach the top hats on the stick, or if it will even sit comfortablly when just using the trigger and my palm on the base.

thanks!

There's an extra nipple hat on the throttle for lateral thrust. Most stuff falls to hand pretty easily, though I have to shift my hand to use one of the hats on the stick.

The real test of intuitiveness will be when beta 2 comes out and I try it with the Rift DK2.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus
58. Re: Elite: Dangerous Launch Pricing and Preorder Bonus Sep 13, 2014, 13:59 Kevin Lowe

Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 23:08:
that being said, i do think this is probably my best choice, i've heard that the pro variant of the x52 has bettere tracking on the stick? better hall sensors? also, how do you find the tension on the x52 stick? the detents on the throttle?
The X-55 has a much better sensor setup than the 52. I hear that the magnet mod on a 52 Pro is just as good though. There have been some quality issues reported with the 55, but I must have got a lucky one.

If you're buying all new, the X-55 is my recommendation.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2014, 11:57 Kevin Lowe

I hope so, for two reasons: one, MGS V will make a lot more sense w/ it, and two, if I'm buying every MGS game again, it'd better be on a platform I don't already have them on.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 16:51 Kevin Lowe

DangerDog wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:35:
Another "next gen" game gimped by last gen game development on xbox360 and ps3.
You mean another game subsidized by the huge install base of Xbox 360 and PS3, right? Why spend the cost of development on the small install base of X1 and PS4?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month
28. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 4, 2014, 08:52 Kevin Lowe

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 02:57:

In general, it seems like the people who enjoy the game the most are the ones who enjoy stealth gameplay. You don't have to be stealthy in Watch_Dogs but it's definitely more interesting than the alternative.
Stealth was way overpowered in WD, though. I had a silenced pistol from the start, and once you get the silenced assault rifle, there's little need to use anything else. Add in the heavy takedown skill, and cruise through the game. It's the same weapon/skill combo that made fellow Ubi title Far Cry 3 so easy.

It's not quite Crysis-level broken (tap uncloak, tap fire, tap cloak, repeat for four games), but definitely overpowered.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month
8. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 14:40 Kevin Lowe

wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:20:
On another note... I'm ordering a XIM4, for my PS4 soon... if that doesn't prove how anti-gamepad-contoller I am, I don't know what will.
What, precisely, makes you such a precious little snowflake that you don't have to abide by the same rules as everyone else?

Want to use a mouse and keyboard? I absolutely believe that you should have that right. Just play on PC. Otherwise, if everyone else has a gamepad, use a gamepad.

Edit: unless you're only going to use it offline. Then, knock yourself out, I guess.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 10, 2014, 14:26 Kevin Lowe

I thought about laser eye surgery for Oculus, but I like my glasses too much. I don't look the same without them.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 6, 2014, 12:04 Kevin Lowe

InBlack wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:

Give me a mouse. And a keyboard. Ill give you an answer.
Any other equipment the rest of the players aren't using that you'd like?

Not much point crowing about your skills if you're not willing to play by the rules. If/when Destiny comes to the PC, you can have a mouse and keyboard. Until then, Bungie's game, Sony's platform, their rules, full stop.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015
13. Re: Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015 Jul 23, 2014, 13:07 Kevin Lowe

Arithon wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 06:50:
Why they've really delayed:
1. Try really hard to disguise that it's a mod.
2. Make a single player campaign in a multi-player-only game franchise, making it even less worthy of the BattleField name, just so it conforms to console norms (i.e. emulate CoD).
3. Fix the cluster-f##k netcode inherited from BF4, so we don't make the sucke.. customers explode into flame when it needs a 5GB zero-day patch to make it playable on release.
So when Quake 3 was all multiplayer, was that emulating some other series keep in mind that it was developed at the same time as UT)? Or did Quake 2 retroactively adhere to some other platform's norms?

Since when did single player become a console norm?

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlefest
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlefest Jul 9, 2014, 21:00 Kevin Lowe

If your camo is helping you stand out on the battlefield, is it really doing its job? I think I want the kind that helps me not stand out.  

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
18. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 15:40 Kevin Lowe

You seem to have missed a few. Splinter Cell Blacklist? Same day. Blood Dragon? One day apart, same as Xbox. Call of Juarez Gunslinger? Same thing.  

9. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 12:45 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:39:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:24:
I remember coming here back in '99 to read news and insights from people who really knew what the hell was going on. How did we go from that to... well, you?

Clearly you don't remember that because you obviously have no clue as to what you're talking about - which is nothing new for you however. The fact that other devs and publishers can do it no problem but Ubisoft never can really tells one everything they need to know. Well, anyone with half a brain at least.
"Ubisoft never can"? Didn't they just do it with Watch_Dogs a month ago? Far Cry 3? I certainly don't remember a delay on that one. Rocksmith 2014?

6. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 12:24 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 11:38:
Isn't it odd how the PC version is always held back? So very, very strange. It's almost like they want to make sure the consoles always get the launches first. Nah, that's crazy talk!
Or, it could be that there's a more complex critical path, involving platform certification (not required on PC), scheduling a much larger (and therefore more difficult to reschedule) physical media order, and much more costly financial penalties (updating marketing) if you miss a date on the console side?

I remember coming here back in '99 to read news and insights from people who really knew what the hell was going on. How did we go from that to... well, you?

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
83. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 10:04 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 08:51:

AAA publishers view the PC as an unimportant platform outside of DLC and microtransactional revenue. That's why all of the innovation on PC is happening outside of that space.
So get out there and reward those developers! People like Chris Roberts and Russ Bullock are bringing back the golden age of PC games I grew up on (okay, maybe with varying degrees of success for that last one). There's a ton going on without worrying about what the AAA world is doing.

I've got a Rift, a new HOTAS (I always wanted an FCS/WCS as a kid), and pledges for Star Citizen, Elite, MechWarrior, Hawken, etc.. At the same time, I thoroughly enjoyed Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 3, and plenty of other games from Ubi and other AAA publishers, on PS3, PS4, and PC.

My money is where my mouth is, and I'm getting hours of entertainment in return.

82. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 09:52 Kevin Lowe

Fletch wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 00:11:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 23:12:
His complaint is that others, by buying products they enjoy, are not shaping the market to his desires. If that isn't entitlement, then what is?

So if you voted for Romney*, and complain about the direction Obama is taking the country, against your desires, you are just entitled. If lots of people buy a game I think is shit, like Thi4f and the new Wolfenstein, and I complain and voice my opinions of those games, I'm just entitled. Anytime I voice an opinion on something that I think should be better, or speak with my wallet and refuse to purchase for whatever reason ( consolization, DRM, forced social BS, online-only...), I'm acting entitled.

I think you should look up "entitlement". Wanting something better and having a strong opinion about something is not the same as feeling you deserve it. I'm just so fucking tired of the whole "entitled PC gamer" bullshit from clueless fanboys and console sheeple.

*I didn't. I mean... hell no.
Here's the difference between the perfectly reasonable scenarios you described, and what's actually happening. You or anyone else is more than welcome to point out your displeasure with an aspect of a product. What you don't have any grounds to do, is claim that you're being treated unequally.

It's basically the same thing as the thread a few weeks ago where people complained that Bungie was fucking over PC gamers - never mind that they have the exact same number of games that they would have had, had Destiny not been made at all.

If you guys want to claim disparate treatment, let's see some actual relative harm. The PC has higher settings than the next-gen consoles, available right out of the box, so no harm there - quite the opposite, it's special treatment just for your platform. So much for Settingsgate.

72. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 23:12 Kevin Lowe

Fletch wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:58:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

The righteousness is strong with this commenter.

Consider the following:
ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:22:
If I don't buy something, others might, something that seems to have not entered your flawed logic. And if others buy the game it shapes the market. If a game with draconian DRM sells a lot it will send a message to publishers, regardless if I bought it or not. And regardless if I bought it or not I will voice my displeasure about consumer rights being throttled due to draconian DRM. That's just one example of all the shit Ubisoft, and the gaming industry, keeps pulling on us.

His complaint is that others, by buying products they enjoy, are not shaping the market to his desires. If that isn't entitlement, then what is?

66. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 21:57 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:52:
It's not about making the PC look worse it's about not making the PS4 look worse. So yes, obviously Sony is going to tell them that's the case and Ubisoft is going to do it.
Do you have ANY proof that this actually happened?

60. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 19:28 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:07:

They claimed that activating it would cause issues. But as many have shown, that was a total BS claim. It's not cherry picking lines when the reality shows its BS.
Why would they lie? Why would they remove tested, functional, release-ready features from their product in the first place? How would they benefit from doing so?

109 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo