Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Lowe

Real Name Kevin Lowe   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2009, 02:05
Total Comments 131 (Novice)
User ID 54930

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 13:03 Kevin Lowe

KTR wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 12:45:
I guess Gamma is a new way of calling a release candidate.
Not new; the terms have been interchangeable for at least a decade.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
72. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 19, 2014, 15:19 Kevin Lowe

Task wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:34:
Gonna have to -1 both your posts. Sharing is Caring, its what you are taught as a kid, no? Blackbeard's ghost sends his regards.

I think you're missing an important part of sharing; that is, giving what is yours to help others. Giving what is someone else's isn't remotely the same thing.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
21. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 20:35 Kevin Lowe

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 19:41:
The Xbox was originally supposed to be simply a minimized PC with Windows running on it. It turned out not to be cost-effective doing it that way, plus it would be hard to create a walled garden on a device that's simply a scaled back desktop. Imagine where we'd be today had consoles not gotten in the way of actual progress in the name of profit.
We'd have lower-end PCs getting in the way of actual progress instead?

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
14. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 17:58 Kevin Lowe

Verno wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 15:32:
Yeah that is strange, I wonder why they have 2 settings for the same thing. Oh well, glad it worked out, I'll apply it myself when I get home.
Writing a different node name to an XML file than what the reader will be expecting? Yep, done that one before.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer
39. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 09:34 Kevin Lowe

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 08:47:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 07:59:
InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 07:20:
How is it false equivalency? Its copyright infringement in both cases isnt it?
Because one of them is helping those affected by a life-threatening disease. The other is "exclusive missions with Hurk and his harpoon gun".

Nah, bro, you're right. Those are totes the same thing.

Keep trolling, the content of the IP is irrelevant. The example is relevant to the discussion though, because thats where it naturally leads.

Do I have to spell it out for you? Maybe not for an obvious troll like yourself but maybe someone with more than two brain cells in their head might appreciate it.

If we start looking at IP infringement as stealing, as Prez and others are saying that we should, then where do we stop?? Why not make piracy punishable by prison time? Why not 'cut off the hands' and feet of those who dare to 'COPY' to serve their own interest. Why not invade that third world country for daring to steal our godgiven right to an IP?

This is the point, and this is why its not just semantics.
Society frequently regards theft differently depending on what was taken and why. Remember the media coverage post-Katrina, when some people were taking food and water, while others were taking TVs? Those taking TVs were portrayed far less sympathetically. More recently, consider the woman caught shoplifting food... the officer ended up buying her groceries.

34. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 07:59 Kevin Lowe

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 07:20:
How is it false equivalency? Its copyright infringement in both cases isnt it?
Because one of them is helping those affected by a life-threatening disease. The other is "exclusive missions with Hurk and his harpoon gun".

Nah, bro, you're right. Those are totes the same thing.

30. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 06:56 Kevin Lowe

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 06:46:
Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 06:13:
Actually, the legal definition of theft is 'the appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it'. Given that copyright infringement does not deprive the copyright owner of said property it is NOT theft, as least from a legal perspective. However, that does not justify it.

Honestly, why would I care about the "legal definition" unless I was a lawyer or on trial? And really what is all this nonsense about semantics? Taking something that you have no right to take is at the heart of the matter, regardless of what you want to call it. All this silliness about semantics is pointless.

Its not just semantics. That is the whole point! It's dangerous to equate these terms becuase they have moral and ethical implications not to mention legal ones. It permeates the mindset until it becomes the same. You for one, Bats and many others are convinced, fucking CONVINCED that stealing is the same as piracy. Dont you see how dangerous that is?

We live in a society that is becoming more and more digitised by the minute. At the same time information has become the new commodity, IPO's, IPs, patents, etc. etc. have become the new currency. Those who hold the currency need to know its secure, and the only way to secure it is to equate it to its real world counterparts. This is to the benefit of the very rich, and to the detriment of the many who would benefit from this information etc.

Let me ask you this, do you think that african countries that produce generic HIV/AIDS medication at 1/100th the price of their patented originals to help their affected population are STEALING?
I love how this post complains about false equivalency, then proceeds to equate video game piracy to patent violation for life-saving drugs.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk
13. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 9, 2014, 22:54 Kevin Lowe

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 9, 2014, 21:42:
Of course they know good and well when customers ask for dedicated servers they are really asking for customer administrated servers.
Dedicated doesn't necessarily need to be customer-administrated. As long as it eliminates host advantage and cuts down on client-side cheating, then dedicated servers have done their job. You can't admin the Planetside 2 servers, for instance, but no one would claim that game lacks dedicated servers.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
35. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 16:04 Kevin Lowe

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:50:
It happens with every Far Cry release. Far Cry 2 wasn't available at release in the UK, nor was Far Cry 3. A few weeks later, after the initial sales had died down, they appeared.

The price on Steam was utterly ridiculous. They wanted 50 ($80), which is an insult. As much as I love the Far Cry series I will never pay that much.
Pulling them from Steam worldwide is a new one to me. This looks a lot more like Crysis 2. I wonder what Steam will do with preorders... precedent suggests that we keep the game, but that's usually post release. I can't think of a game being pulled prior to release; I'm not sure if Steam would give up their cut and refund everything.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2014, 17:28 Kevin Lowe

Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 13:19:
Well of course it runs smoother, it runs at like 240x200 resolution.
Even as hyperbole this is utter nonsense. Go back and actually play some games from the VGA era.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
48. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 18:16 Kevin Lowe

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 14:07:

Calling this out is new.
But the policy has been around since 2012

So, GG has managed to convince Polygon to mention this upfront in reviews. But it is absolutely, 100% not a new policy of theirs.

Hell, here's an article from Ars Technica on the topic, from 4 years ago. And from Ben Kuchera, who's pretty much as hated by GG as one can get without having ovaries.

Call of Duty: Black Ops review event

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2014, 09:55 Kevin Lowe

InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 08:16:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 07:07:
Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 23:43:

It's when said content was already done, and was already included in the game, then gets locked away on the disc to be sold for extra later that pisses me off. LA Noire was a magnificent example of that behavior, as during the original game, the two main detectives would actually talk about cases in the past tense, even though I never played said cases. And that was because they were later sold as DLC.

So, they would have to go back through their build making sure to remove any assets for not-yet-completed content, incurring extra effort and risk, for... what good reason, exactly? So they don't hurt your feelings?

The content is not removed, just locked away. Are you serious with that question "for what reason" because it reads like a thinly veiled attempt to troll. The reason is $$$. They cant very well ask for 80$ at release. But they can ask for 60$ now, and then two months down the road they can ask for another 20$ for the content that was locked away.
That's my point: why go to the extra trouble and incur the extra risk of trying to remove unfinished content when it can simply be blocked off until it's ready?

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2014, 07:07 Kevin Lowe

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 23:43:

It's when said content was already done, and was already included in the game, then gets locked away on the disc to be sold for extra later that pisses me off. LA Noire was a magnificent example of that behavior, as during the original game, the two main detectives would actually talk about cases in the past tense, even though I never played said cases. And that was because they were later sold as DLC.

So, they would have to go back through their build making sure to remove any assets for not-yet-completed content, incurring extra effort and risk, for... what good reason, exactly? So they don't hurt your feelings?

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 20:51 Kevin Lowe

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:22:
Creston explains why some of Destiny's DLC is on the disc: It's so they can make more money out of you, their wallets customers.

There, that did not require an entire article to be written about it.
What, precisely, is wrong with wanting to make money by selling a product that people want? Bonus question, in precisely what way is Bungie's explanation either incorrect or dishonest?

News Comments > Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin
22. Re: Crusader: No Remorse Free on Origin Oct 29, 2014, 15:19 Kevin Lowe

InBlack wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:39:
Darks wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:29:
jomisab wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:24:
I don't understand either. What are the downsides to just having an Origin account? Looking forward to DA: Inquisition, btw.

There is none, they are just being asses about it.

I've had Origin for over a year now and I have had no issues at all with it. I prefer Steam, but there's nothing wrong with Origin.

Your momma! Its not about the downsides. Its about the principles. Im not interested in supporting EA and its exclusive webshop, sure I might miss out on a few cool games every DECADE or so but Ill live with it.
In that case, what incentive does EA have to change their business practices, if they stand no chance of bringing back customers such as yourself?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 26, 2014, 18:34 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 16:01:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 14:35:
Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 11:55:
Who got paid off to go back to Office? Always lovely when corrupt government officials waste tax dollars.

I don't suppose this hypothesis comes with anything vaguely resembling proof, does it?

Does there need to be or is politics something new to you? Perfectly functional and free software in LibreOffice, or tens of millions of ta dollars needlessly given to MS, and you think someone isn't getting some graft somewhere? Heh, yeah ok.

Edit: Check out the corruption story in OOTB. Go do a search for "political corruption". You could only spend the rest of your life just skimming the surface of it.

I'd already heard about the Redflex case. An important difference between that and your case: there's proof. You, on the other hand, are just making an accusation without evidence.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 26, 2014, 14:35 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 11:55:
Who got paid off to go back to Office? Always lovely when corrupt government officials waste tax dollars.

I don't suppose this hypothesis comes with anything vaguely resembling proof, does it?

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December
9. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December Oct 6, 2014, 22:29 Kevin Lowe

Slick wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 20:49:
i don't always pirate, but when i do i prefer to pirate a single $30 shareware map.

kojima wanted to bump up their numbers for this quarter? felt like trying out "pre-DLC"? nothing makes sense, i'm sad that anyone paid for this garbage.

you know i hear valve ripped out the first level from HL3 and are hocking it for $30. can you imagine the audacity? not even the almighty valve could get away with that shit, what makes kojima think different?
If it's not worth it, by all means, don't buy it. But what entitles you to play it anyway? In what way are you special such that the rules don't apply to you?

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December
3. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December Oct 6, 2014, 19:26 Kevin Lowe

PHJF wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 19:13:
The only logical conclusion is that Phantom Pain will be coming to PC, which is... rather shocking.
Not much of a surprise, seeing as how it already has a Steam page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 22:15 Kevin Lowe

nin wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:58:
If you didn't have gaming news sites colluding to promote them in the first place, ignoring them might work. But when they're controlling the narrative? That's the problem, as that's how they get attention.

Who cares who controls the narrative? What matters is who controls the production budgets, and all they care about is making a game you'll a) buy, and b) enjoy enough that you convince your friends to buy.

As long as the games you want are still getting made, just let this whole thing play out. I have faith that the developers whose products I've enjoyed for the past couple of decades can figure out how to create for a larger, more diverse audience without compromising quality.

131 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo