Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Lowe

Real Name Kevin Lowe   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2009, 02:05
Total Comments 99 (Suspect)
User ID 54930

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015
13. Re: Battlefield Hardline Delayed to 2015 Jul 23, 2014, 13:07 Kevin Lowe

Arithon wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 06:50:
Why they've really delayed:
1. Try really hard to disguise that it's a mod.
2. Make a single player campaign in a multi-player-only game franchise, making it even less worthy of the BattleField name, just so it conforms to console norms (i.e. emulate CoD).
3. Fix the cluster-f##k netcode inherited from BF4, so we don't make the sucke.. customers explode into flame when it needs a 5GB zero-day patch to make it playable on release.
So when Quake 3 was all multiplayer, was that emulating some other series keep in mind that it was developed at the same time as UT)? Or did Quake 2 retroactively adhere to some other platform's norms?

Since when did single player become a console norm?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlefest
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlefest Jul 9, 2014, 21:00 Kevin Lowe

If your camo is helping you stand out on the battlefield, is it really doing its job? I think I want the kind that helps me not stand out.  

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
18. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 15:40 Kevin Lowe

You seem to have missed a few. Splinter Cell Blacklist? Same day. Blood Dragon? One day apart, same as Xbox. Call of Juarez Gunslinger? Same thing.  

9. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 12:45 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:39:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:24:
I remember coming here back in '99 to read news and insights from people who really knew what the hell was going on. How did we go from that to... well, you?

Clearly you don't remember that because you obviously have no clue as to what you're talking about - which is nothing new for you however. The fact that other devs and publishers can do it no problem but Ubisoft never can really tells one everything they need to know. Well, anyone with half a brain at least.
"Ubisoft never can"? Didn't they just do it with Watch_Dogs a month ago? Far Cry 3? I certainly don't remember a delay on that one. Rocksmith 2014?

6. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 12:24 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 11:38:
Isn't it odd how the PC version is always held back? So very, very strange. It's almost like they want to make sure the consoles always get the launches first. Nah, that's crazy talk!
Or, it could be that there's a more complex critical path, involving platform certification (not required on PC), scheduling a much larger (and therefore more difficult to reschedule) physical media order, and much more costly financial penalties (updating marketing) if you miss a date on the console side?

I remember coming here back in '99 to read news and insights from people who really knew what the hell was going on. How did we go from that to... well, you?

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
83. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 10:04 Kevin Lowe

Redmask wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 08:51:

AAA publishers view the PC as an unimportant platform outside of DLC and microtransactional revenue. That's why all of the innovation on PC is happening outside of that space.
So get out there and reward those developers! People like Chris Roberts and Russ Bullock are bringing back the golden age of PC games I grew up on (okay, maybe with varying degrees of success for that last one). There's a ton going on without worrying about what the AAA world is doing.

I've got a Rift, a new HOTAS (I always wanted an FCS/WCS as a kid), and pledges for Star Citizen, Elite, MechWarrior, Hawken, etc.. At the same time, I thoroughly enjoyed Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 3, and plenty of other games from Ubi and other AAA publishers, on PS3, PS4, and PC.

My money is where my mouth is, and I'm getting hours of entertainment in return.

82. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 09:52 Kevin Lowe

Fletch wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 00:11:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 23:12:
His complaint is that others, by buying products they enjoy, are not shaping the market to his desires. If that isn't entitlement, then what is?

So if you voted for Romney*, and complain about the direction Obama is taking the country, against your desires, you are just entitled. If lots of people buy a game I think is shit, like Thi4f and the new Wolfenstein, and I complain and voice my opinions of those games, I'm just entitled. Anytime I voice an opinion on something that I think should be better, or speak with my wallet and refuse to purchase for whatever reason ( consolization, DRM, forced social BS, online-only...), I'm acting entitled.

I think you should look up "entitlement". Wanting something better and having a strong opinion about something is not the same as feeling you deserve it. I'm just so fucking tired of the whole "entitled PC gamer" bullshit from clueless fanboys and console sheeple.

*I didn't. I mean... hell no.
Here's the difference between the perfectly reasonable scenarios you described, and what's actually happening. You or anyone else is more than welcome to point out your displeasure with an aspect of a product. What you don't have any grounds to do, is claim that you're being treated unequally.

It's basically the same thing as the thread a few weeks ago where people complained that Bungie was fucking over PC gamers - never mind that they have the exact same number of games that they would have had, had Destiny not been made at all.

If you guys want to claim disparate treatment, let's see some actual relative harm. The PC has higher settings than the next-gen consoles, available right out of the box, so no harm there - quite the opposite, it's special treatment just for your platform. So much for Settingsgate.

72. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 23:12 Kevin Lowe

Fletch wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 22:58:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

The righteousness is strong with this commenter.

Consider the following:
ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:22:
If I don't buy something, others might, something that seems to have not entered your flawed logic. And if others buy the game it shapes the market. If a game with draconian DRM sells a lot it will send a message to publishers, regardless if I bought it or not. And regardless if I bought it or not I will voice my displeasure about consumer rights being throttled due to draconian DRM. That's just one example of all the shit Ubisoft, and the gaming industry, keeps pulling on us.

His complaint is that others, by buying products they enjoy, are not shaping the market to his desires. If that isn't entitlement, then what is?

66. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 21:57 Kevin Lowe

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:52:
It's not about making the PC look worse it's about not making the PS4 look worse. So yes, obviously Sony is going to tell them that's the case and Ubisoft is going to do it.
Do you have ANY proof that this actually happened?

60. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 19:28 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:07:

They claimed that activating it would cause issues. But as many have shown, that was a total BS claim. It's not cherry picking lines when the reality shows its BS.
Why would they lie? Why would they remove tested, functional, release-ready features from their product in the first place? How would they benefit from doing so?

53. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:42 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:31:
Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."
Any proof that this was purposeful crippling, as opposed to cutting unfinished features? And it still doesn't change the fact that you got every feature the other platforms got, and then some. How is getting more than everyone else unequal?
Since you missed it the first time (and even managed to quote it but not read it...) I will repeat: Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.

Steamworks also seems to be working great for many companies, and it's not always online...
It's also controlled by one of their competitors.
Gamespy and Steam (which I noticed you failed to read... again...) would be a better choice. GfWL was also a possible solution (didn't say the best one, nice strawman though). And since you are failing in knowing the news, UPlay has been out since 2009. Trying to use news of 2014 as your counter argument is a bit of a stretch.
Gamespy is in the process of shutting down. Great choice!

49. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:28 Kevin Lowe

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:26:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:46:
"Consequences it might do to the market"? Oh, do go on. This should be good for a laugh. What consequence is this game going to have that aren't perfectly ameliorated by the simple procedure I described in my post (JUST DON'T BUY IT!)?

This type of reply only shows you have really no idea what you're talking about, do you?

If I don't buy something, others might, something that seems to have not entered your flawed logic. And if others buy the game it shapes the market. If a game with draconian DRM sells a lot it will send a message to publishers, regardless if I bought it or not. And regardless if I bought it or not I will voice my displeasure about consumer rights being throttled due to draconian DRM. That's just one example of all the shit Ubisoft, and the gaming industry, keeps pulling on us.

Then again I'm starting to think you really have no idea of what you're talking about based on your continued flawed logic.

Something tells me he is the same kind of dickhead who would tell you that if you don't like the NSA spying on you, don't use email or a phone...
Really. I wasn't aware that one had the option of not buying into their government. I also wasn't aware that surveillance and consumer entertainment products were of the same importance. Thanks for clearing that up!

47. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:25 Kevin Lowe

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:46:
"Consequences it might do to the market"? Oh, do go on. This should be good for a laugh. What consequence is this game going to have that aren't perfectly ameliorated by the simple procedure I described in my post (JUST DON'T BUY IT!)?

This type of reply only shows you have really no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Then again I'm starting to think you really have no idea of what you're talking about based on your continued flawed logic.
So what if someone else buys something you're not happy with! Publishers are in business to make money, and as long as enough people are happy enough with their products to pay for them, what does it matter what you, me, or any other one person thinks of them?

43. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:17 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:04:
Guessing you've missed the whole deal about the Watch Dogs being held back on PC?

Given that you can find posts from me in the comments for that article, yeah, I'm well aware of it. That article discusses extra features cut from the final game - not features present on other platforms that were cut from the PC version. The PC still has the graphics features of the other platform, plus extra. How is that unequal treatment?

Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.
By all means, then, suggest a better option for protecting their investment. The last idea (protected memory regions using TPM) was shouted down.

And if I don't want to join such a system, I don't need to on a console. But I MUST on a PC, which again adds software that crashes and can lock me out of the product I purchased. Why is it mandatory for a PC but optional on a console? Just because they made it, doesn't mean it should be a mandatory (and problematic) need for some and a basic option for others. Also, things like GfWL, Gamespy, Steam, etc existed when UPlay was released. They didn't need to create yet another friend system, options were there.
You'd rather they used GfWL or Gamespy? And you suggest that I'M not keeping up on the latest news?

39. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:46 Kevin Lowe

ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:40:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:32:
ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:24:
So... wanting to be treated with respect as a customer and not be bullshited before and after we buy a game is now entitlement.

Entitlement my ass!

You guys are the entitled ones to think we have to listen to your bullshit opinion and give up basic consumer rights just because publishers think we're walking wallets without brains, and you people eat this bullshit all the way and spew it everywhere.

Ubisoft has treated PC gamers as second class citizens and still does. From Watch Dogs locked PC features to Uplay always crashing and preventing people from playing and Ubisoft doing shit to fix this time and again. I don't think anyone here is in favor of any kind of piracy and yet we are still using the same old stupid fallacy of painting every PC gamer as pirates and that it's our fault for this only shows you either have an agenda to say such shit or you're just plain stupid.

As someone said, the only reason people might be defending Ubisoft is either if they're trolls, idiots or shills or a combination of the 3.
Actually, no, you don't have to give up basic consumer rights! You still have the most important one at all - the right to decline to purchase. If Ubisoft puts out a product you don't want, and you choose not to give them your money, then they can do exactly zero harm to you.

Are you subtly implying that anyone who doesn't buy a game doesn't have an opinion about it and about its consequences it might do to the market?

36. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:32 Kevin Lowe

ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:24:
So... wanting to be treated with respect as a customer and not be bullshited before and after we buy a game is now entitlement.

Entitlement my ass!

You guys are the entitled ones to think we have to listen to your bullshit opinion and give up basic consumer rights just because publishers think we're walking wallets without brains, and you people eat this bullshit all the way and spew it everywhere.

Ubisoft has treated PC gamers as second class citizens and still does. From Watch Dogs locked PC features to Uplay always crashing and preventing people from playing and Ubisoft doing shit to fix this time and again. I don't think anyone here is in favor of any kind of piracy and yet we are still using the same old stupid fallacy of painting every PC gamer as pirates and that it's our fault for this only shows you either have an agenda to say such shit or you're just plain stupid.

As someone said, the only reason people might be defending Ubisoft is either if they're trolls, idiots or shills or a combination of the 3.
Actually, no, you don't have to give up basic consumer rights! You still have the most important one at all - the right to decline to purchase. If Ubisoft puts out a product you don't want, and you choose not to give them your money, then they can do exactly zero harm to you.

34. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:20 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 15:53:

As has already been mentioned before with the Watch Dogs, PC customers were forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console customers. When someone patched in those settings and the game didn't become some crash-fest, it showed it wasn't a stability reason (but the comments they gave were a PR move, normal when caught).

As this article is indicating, PC users will still need to be online for the full game (if it will even run offline). Something console users again don't need to do.

UPlay is required for PC users, something that can be bypassed on consoles with no real effects in single player mode.

UPlay has issues running on Windows and can cause UPlay to crash, which can prevent your games from playing/installing: 1 2

Yep, feel like an equal by having to jump through the extra hoops... that can prevent me from enjoy the product that was paid for.

How were you "forced to have lower quality graphics at the to give better favour to the next gen console"? If I fire up Watch_Dogs on PC, set it to 1600x900, and set the in-game settings to Ultra, will it not look at least as good as the PS4?

For the online DRM, that's how DRM works on your platform. On the PS4 and X1, it works differently (requiring binaries signed by Sony/MS). Still DRM either way. If people hadn't raised such a fuss against TPM, then you could have the same functionality on PC.

As for UPlay, there isn't a platform-wide system for friends lists, achievements, etc., so they wrote their own. On consoles, you still have to load and use software for those things, it's just built into the platform instead.

32. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 15:25 Kevin Lowe

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:58:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:17:
The entitlement is strong with this thread.

So, to be treated as an equal customer and not as a 3rd class citizen is now considered entitlement?

Such a shallow view you have of others.
In what way are you treated unequally from other Ubi customers?

9. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:52 Kevin Lowe

Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.
Then why is the PC Master Race pirating their products in the first place? If you guys don't see value in what they're producing, then why spend time on them?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade
33. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 Kevin Lowe

entr0py wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:23:

If I were cynical I'd guess it's because they didn't want to overshadow the new consoles. Like they couldn't get these features working on the PS4, so decided to cut them out of every version.
How, exactly, would Ubisoft benefit from doing that?

99 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo