Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Smith

Real Name John Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SBlat
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2009, 18:16
Total Comments 168 (Novice)
User ID 54883

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info
42. Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 14:45 SBlat

Icewind wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 13:15:
Wow, they must have changed it. I was able to do that in GTA4 and FO3. Actually, I did it because I never even knew about the GFWL giving you XBL Gamerscore points, so I imported my offline saves into the online directory (Named after my gamertag) and viola, it worked.

Guess they caught on to people using trainers for cheats, then importing the hacked saves to the online mode.

No, it was definitely the case with GTA4 too, but it looks like saves from "offline profiles" are unencrypted and can be imported into an online profile. But not the other way around. If you save a game with an online profile, you can only load it by logging into that same online profile. Even though it's actually on your hard drive (hidden away in an appdata subdirectory that you'll probably not backup next time your reinstall Windows, BTW), it's "encrypted" (weakly) to stop you from using it on another online account, or even on an offline profile.

I had to use xliveless to be allowed to use my save game in GTA4 after I realized I didn't actually have to use an online profile and tried to switch to an offline profile (if you've logged into the GFWL standalone client before, and had it remember your name and password, games don't even offer you the choice of an offline profile).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crate Announces Grim Dawn
1. Re: Crate Announces Grim Dawn Jan 20, 2010, 12:46 SBlat

That's cool to hear. I had only just read about Crate Entertainment and the story of their creation two days ago. I hadn't seen their Gamasutra interview from September (linked on the Grim Dawn site), so I thought they were still working on a console game, Black Legion. In fact, the Crate Entertainment website still only says "stay tuned" and shows Black Legion artwork under the "games" tab. Hearing that they've returned to the PC is enheartening, even if I'm not much of a Diablo/Titan Quest fan.

Still, hearing that they're reusing the Titan Quest engine makes me wonder if they aren't going to have a very hard time competing with Torchlight for the digitally-distributed, action RPG, indie game crown. Also interesting that in the interview they consider "even just" 100,000 sales enough to break even, and put that forward as not only a small number, but small enough to allow them to cater exclusively to a hardcore niche (and now be fan-funded).

News Comments > BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info
13. Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 12:31 SBlat

Acleacius wrote on Jan 20, 2010, 11:50:
Lmao, you have to log onto gwl to Save your game?

If it's like other GFWL games you can create an "offline profile" to save your game to without having to go online, but then you can't play multiplayer.

And if you then create an online profile to play multiplayer you won't have access to your savegame anymore, at least not without logging out and switching back to your offline profile.

Also if you save a game to an online profile, it doesn't actually get saved online, it's still only on your HD. But you'll still have to login online for authentication and decryption of that save game file, to make sure you have permission to use it. Don't want people sharing saved games! That's almost like pirating!

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Hint?
20. Re: Saints Row 3 Hint? Jan 16, 2010, 00:11 SBlat

PHJF wrote on Jan 15, 2010, 22:20:
SR2 wasn't so bad once it was patched.

For a few people, but tons of people still couldn't play it even after the patch was released. There were all the crippling performance woes hitting even god-like machines trying to run it with even just quake 2 level visuals, of course. But even on the ones that it just magically ran acceptably on, streaming stutters were still pretty universal when driving at high speeds, even with RAID-arrays and gigs of memory. Luckily it was a game where it was usually more fun to be on foot or cruising slowly than tearing down the road anyway.

And even if you got past the performance problems there was the way it expected you to use CTRL and SHIFT to navigate left and right in menus, the driving controls that didn't have even a minute's tuning for keyboard control, Borderlands-levels of internet matchmaking flakiness (allegedly; I only ever played it on LAN). And then there was the way it was abandoned half-fixed and DLC-less, one month after release.

It's not the worst port I've played, and it was fun enough to be worth putting up with, but it sure made me wish I was struggling with trying to aim via controller on an XBox 360 or PS3. I know I'll never pick up anything with the name CD Projekt Localization on it ever again. Volition learned that lesson too and switched companies for RFG.

I see on Mobygames that the CD Projekt lead PC programmer has now moved on to a non-lead role porting "Hannah Montana: The Movie" and both of the project managers have no further games credited. That sounds about right.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 00:14.

News Comments > Red Faction: Guerilla Manual Patch
16. Re: Red Faction: Guerilla Manual Patch Jan 15, 2010, 23:41 SBlat

It's pretty bad when going through a manual patch process is still easier than logging into GFWL. It's a shame they decided to circumvent one of Steam's best features too.

GTA IV had the same GFWL-served patches followed by manual patch availability, but they were usually added to Steam a few weeks later. I wonder if the same thing will happen with RFG, since it looks like they'd only need to send the .cab file to steam and have them extract it.

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Hint?
3. Re: Saints Row 3 Hint? Jan 15, 2010, 11:33 SBlat

SR2 had a horrible PC port, but still was too fun to not play. And RFG boasted both impressively fun physics and a much better choice of porting partners.

SR3 is near the top of my list of most anticipated sequels... I want to knock down a skyscaper with a hammer in coop!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2010, 01:43 SBlat

Is Throwback what Pepsi used to taste like in the US? I've had foreign pepsi made with sugar, and I wish it tasted like that here, but when I tried throwback (last time around) it was just way too sweet for me.

Hmmm.... a random review says Pepsi Throwback doesn't include citric acid, in addition to the change from HFCS to cane/beet sugar, so maybe that's what I'm missing. Apparently a "modern" pepsi, but with real sugar, is available for Passover though you have to find somewhere that imports it from the NY bottling company. On the other hand, that review describes the Kosher Pepsi as tasting even sweeter than Throwback, so who knows. Still, I'll have to try to remember to look for some.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Asylum GotY Revealed
5. Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum GotY Revealed Jan 15, 2010, 00:49 SBlat

Sepharo wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 22:24:
Game of the Year editions are starting to look really archaic with all this DLC and digital distribution nowadays.

I don't know, I'm actually starting to wait for them because of DLC, since they'll have all the DLC thrown in and still cost less, and I'd just as soon wait to start a game until after all the DLC is available anyway. Used to be it meant they'd just include some patches that you could download for free anyway and then cut costs by having a PDF manual on disc instead of on paper.

And GOTY editions are also the only way to get DLC through DD sites like steam, if they're otherwise using a third-party DLC store.

News Comments > New Renegade X Beta
3. Re: New Renegade X Beta Jan 15, 2010, 00:08 SBlat

I never found anyone willing to try out the multiplayer of C&C Renegade, but I enjoyed the singleplayer. Just exploring the C&C universe was fun, and I'm not even really a C&C fan!

I forgot to try this out last time I saw a news story about it, but I'm definitely going to download it this time!

SectorEffector wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 23:04:
Awesome looking mod, gotta try this on UT3 off steam for like 9 bucks.

As much as I love finally having something to justify my purchase of UT3, if you're willing to wait a little longer you don't need to bother buying it (see the mention of UDK in the story).

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
22. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 15, 2010, 00:00 SBlat

Blue wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:41:
SBlat wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 19:34:
Isn't this like saying you won't have config files and so the game won't be able to be hacked?

"the game won't be possible to hack in this regard"

It's a tautology: He's saying that by having no console, it will be impossible to hack the game via the console. Tough to argue with, but it doesn't mean the the game will be unhackable.

Opps, yes. What I actually meant to get at is: is a console really any more hackable than having a config file is anyway? If they've really had online cheating occurring due to changed config variables... whether through the console or not, maybe they shouldn't allow those variables to be configured in the first place?

News Comments > Free Orc Lords for Hinterland on Direct2Drive
1. Re: Free Orc Lords for Hinterland on Direct2Drive Jan 14, 2010, 23:46 SBlat

From Tilted Mill's Hinterland forum (June 11th 2009):
The game is available now for download, and in retail stores across North America. Players who already own the original version of Hinterland can get the enhanced Orc Lords version for free.

So Direct2Drive are either just randomly reannouncing this to drum up interest... or it took them 6 months to apply a patch.

News Comments > No Console in PC Bad Company 2
8. Re: No Console in PC Bad Company 2 Jan 14, 2010, 19:34 SBlat

Isn't this like saying you won't have config files and so the game won't be able to be hacked?  

News Comments > Dark Void PC Demo [Updated]
9. Re: Dark Void PC Demo Jan 14, 2010, 15:33 SBlat

Overon wrote on Jan 14, 2010, 12:57:
I downloaded it form file planet. After you start the .exe it just extracts the files, you have to launch the setup.exe manually. It's pretty stupid to compress these files into a self extracting .exe, since the compressed file is no smaller than the extracted files, especially since the setup.exe is not launched automatically.

Ugh, that's the same reason I avoid downloading anything from GamersHell. Why do they make you extract a 2GB installer from a .zip with 0% compression, just so they can include a link to their website in there?

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 12, 2010, 21:07 SBlat

So are these reofferings of the holiday sale's daily deals two weeks later at even lower prices Steam's way of telling us that 2010's price cuts are going to be even deeper, or just them saying screw you to loyal customers who thought they were getting a deal?

Personally I'm glad to see the whole King's Bounty bundle for only $1 more than Armored Princess was alone as a daily "deal". Waiting for the bundle to be on sale is why I skipped it then.

News Comments > Zero Gear Ships: Free Week
1. Re: Zero Gear Ships: Free Week Jan 12, 2010, 20:50 SBlat

Making this game multiplayer-only is an odd choice, considering it's completely unplayable with any amount of lag at all. Due to the physics or whatever, there's virtually no client-side prediction taking place.

I guess it's useful if you want an example of why everyone says OnLive will be unplayable if it has input lag.

News Comments > AvP Demo Planned
24. Re: AvP Demo Planned Jan 11, 2010, 12:08 SBlat

I hope they do release a demo. But it seems like developers have been increasingly relying on promising whatever they think customers want to hear, with no intention -- or at least no ability -- to follow through. Especially when it comes to the PC, where it's probably even harder to justify following through on promises.

But with Rebellion's track record, there's going to need to be phenomenal word of mouth to get me interested in this game, absent a demo.

born2expire wrote on Jan 10, 2010, 23:55:
AVP is still the only respectable game they've ever done

Sniper Elite is respectable. Rogue Trooper (from 2006, not related to Rogue Warrior) is also fairly good, with some very interesting gameplay design ideas. It's much loved by some, but I think being a 2000AD fan is necessary to push you into thinking it's a great game rather than just a good one. Sniper Elite also has a hardcore fanbase, with larger online player counts than most 5-year-old games, especially if you consider that it isn't very well known.

It's just Rebellion make 10 bad games for every good one, and there's nothing to allow you to guess whether they're going to have a good day or not. Judge Dredd is probably their most valuable franchise, and their worst game. Sniper Elite appeared to be part of the WWII-craze cash-in that was going on a few years back, but turned out to be one of the more hardcore and long-lived online multiplayer games out there, with used copies selling for ridiculous prices until it was rereleased on Steam.

They also bought up the rights to several well-respected franchises in the Activision Blizzard firesale. So technically they're now "the company that brought you" Evil Genius, Ground Control, Empire Earth, Lords of The Realm, and Lords of Magic. They didn't actually do anything for those games beyond buying them and uploading them to GOG and Steam with their logos added to the splash screens, but it's nice that those games are available now.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands: Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands: Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot Jan 7, 2010, 23:05 SBlat

Krovven wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 20:45:
The last stealth patch ... secretly added SecuROM to the game (although remained idle until you downloaded the DLC).

No, Securom's active whether you have the DLC or not. Just try playing the game when one of the programs on its "blacklist" is running. Activation is only used for the DLC, but the "protection" aspect of Securom is there no matter what, now.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands: Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands: Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot Jan 7, 2010, 19:47 SBlat

And I see Steam's downloading a new update for my DLC-less Borderlands copy. I wonder what they'll add this time... Games For Windows Live, maybe? That would be about in keeping with the last DLC's "patch".  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jan 7, 2010, 00:14 SBlat

Jerykk wrote on Jan 6, 2010, 23:56:
GoGamer's sales have been disappointing as of late. Either they're on crappy games, old games or only slight discounts on new games.

The old games dropping down to $5 or less can be nice, if there was something you missed or weren't quite interested enough in to pick up when it cost more.

But when I add them to my cart and see that the shipping costs more than the game that usually makes me lose interest and wonder what Steam will be having this weekend instead.

Not that I'm in any way lacking in games to play after the last two weeks, mind.

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Jan 1, 2010, 18:53 SBlat

Jerykk wrote on Jan 1, 2010, 18:40:
I wonder why the DMC4 sale is relatively weak compared to the others. From what I've read, DMC4 PC sold rather poorly. Given that, you'd think it would be on sale for $10 or less.

It is less than $10 at Amazon as an every day price. But maybe from Steam's point of view it's a 25%-off sale on a one week old game (it was added to Steam the same day the holiday sale started).

168 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo