Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Smith

Real Name John Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SBlat
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2009, 18:16
Total Comments 168 (Novice)
User ID 54883

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Update
16. Re: GOG.com Update Sep 23, 2010, 13:17 SBlat

Nameless Again wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 12:20:
Shit, the reason their servers crashed is all their new ex-customers going up and grabbing their games for local backup.

Seriously, it takes like 2-3 attempts to get a download to start. Once it gets past the gog.com gatekeeper though, it's pretty fast (the downloads themselves are hosted on a CDN).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civilization V and Demo Released
14. Re: Civilization V and Demo Released Sep 21, 2010, 14:10 SBlat

Creston wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 13:13:
Is the demo steam only? Shit. I wanted to download it at work.

Creston
Yup, steam only (the game is steam only too, so not too surprising). But depending on your setup at work, you could download it via steam there, choose "Backup Game Files", and carry those files home.

Plus those backup images have been packaged up before as a downloadable installer for other Steam-only demos. You might try waiting to see if that happens, if it's a question of bandwidth (rather than just wanting to start the download ASAP).

News Comments > Serious Sam HD Gold Edition on Thursday a Steam/GOG.com Clue?
16. Re: Serious Sam HD Gold Edition on Thursday a Steam/GOG.com Clue? Sep 21, 2010, 12:08 SBlat

All four games are available via Direct2Drive, and listed as published by Devolver, so it's hardly necessary that Steam have bought GOG to make the original versions available.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 17, 2010, 02:54 SBlat

Looks like the great adventure bundle has been quite a disappointment for Telltale. I wonder if they'll extend the sale yet another week, think of an excuse to unlock Sam & Max for all the folks who purchased the pack, or just leave it locked?

Looks like they're prepping to offer Tales of Monkey Island for $5 this weekend (Talk Like A Pirate Day). I imagine that will sell rather better.

EDIT: Looks like they've gone for a combination of options. The sale's continuing until Monday, and they're unlocking Sam & Max Ep2 on Friday.

News Comments > Telltale Adventure Sale for Charity
1. Re: Telltale Adventure Sale for Charity Sep 5, 2010, 16:54 SBlat

Note that only 25% of the proceeds go to charity. Which is less than the Humble Indie bundle ended up splitting with charity, but probably still pretty high for this more "corporate" bundle sale.

Also, Puzzle Agent unlocks at 5000 bundles sold (764 have sold after two days), and Sam & Max unlocks at a target beyond even that. Still, with all the advertising of the purchase being for 6 game packs, and your purchase being worth $120 (which is what all 6 game packs + the 2nd episode of Penny Arcade add up to), I'm sure they'll find some way to unlock all the games even if they don't meet the sales target.

The sale runs until next Friday.

News Comments > Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted
18. Re: Stardock Layoffs: Elemental Faulted Sep 4, 2010, 19:01 SBlat

Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2010, 17:59:
I'm getting a sinking feeling that we soon will find out if those who continually ask "What about when the digital distribution provider goes out of business? What happens to your games then?" have cause for their trepidation or not...

Well, Impulse has a "backup" feature which doesn't require the servers be up to allow reinstalling (it's just a .7zip file of the game). Ironically, the Stardock games on Impulse require further activation after installing, so would no longer be playable without the servers operating, but other titles would be fine.

But I really doubt it's that bad, and it's not like it's Impulse that is floundering, so I'm sure it could find a buyer if worst came to worst. Still, if we're playing nightmare scenarios, how about if Impulse's failure then brings on demands for Valve to spinoff Steam, so that gamer's collections won't be imperiled by the success or failure of a single game studio. I imagine a Steam unhitched from Valve would rush much more quickly towards becoming a faceless corporation with more interest in market share and profit than anything else.

News Comments > EVGA Free Mafia II Offer
11. Re: EVGA Free Mafia II Offer Aug 31, 2010, 23:24 SBlat

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 22:22:
I'm Hit! wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 19:50:
Evga's way better assures the codes are going to actual paying customers
All this and the limited supply does is prevent some buyers of these cards from getting the game. The game code or a voucher for it should come bundled with cards in the box so there is no hassle or supply problems. In the old days the disc for the game would have been in the box with the card. The runaround and supply restrictions are unnecessary. Just put a code or a disc for the game in every box.

I think you're misunderstanding the offer. EVGA/Nvidia are including Mafia 2 codes with new cards, starting sometime last week. EVGA has some additional codes, which they are offering to anyone who bought a card prior to the start of the Mafia 2 offer. So you might have bought a card during the Just Cause 2 giveaway, or the Metro 2033 giveaway, or the Starcraft 2 trial giveaway, or even 5 months ago before Mafia 2 even had a release date, yet if you upload your invoice you can also take advantage of the Mafia 2 offer that only started a week ago.

I think that's pretty cool of them.

News Comments > Metro 2033 Demo
14. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 14:08 SBlat

Weird for a steamworks game to not have its demo even available on Steam. I would have expected it to be Steam exclusive, like the RUSE, Just Cause 2, or Mafia 2 demos.  

News Comments > Elemental Patched, Savaged
1. Re: Elemental Patched, Savaged Aug 25, 2010, 11:30 SBlat

I'm sure they'll get it all patched up eventually, they have a track record of offering continued support and they certainly have the technology for delivering the patches they produce.

But Brad's comments raise the question of why in the world you'd buy a game from them on release day, at full price. Why not just wait for the inevitable sale and get a finished version of the game?

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2010, 12:43 SBlat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 08:54:
Am I the only one that ONLY uses Steam?

these companies won't be around forever - and I am trying to minimize future loses....

Isn't diversification the more usual way to minimize future losses?

News Comments > New Steam Client
6. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 18:15 SBlat

bhcompy wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 16:00:
joe2tiger wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:52:
How is that a bad thing that it looks like a MP3 player? I like the look.

The list of games is horrendous. The Metacritic score is gone. The news doesn't display when there is new news. The storefront is worse than it was before. etc. Too simplistic interface

There are different views available. On the middle view ("List"), you can right-click the column titles or click the "+" in the right-corner above the scrollbar to toggle which columns are available, including Metacritic. If you switch to icons rather than images, it should be just about the same as the original list, except with categorization. I also just noticed that there is a "+" above the scrollbar in "Details" view, and you can toggle on icons there too, which I like the look of (basically the same as "Small mode" tacked onto the side of the details page).

The new interface is ok for me, I like the extra info shown on each game's detail view and it doesn't really get in the way otherwise. I especially like all the additional improvements that came with it like multiple downloads and not locking up for 5 minutes while checking for updates to my entire library when launching a game. I also like the new overlay, with its clock and real, working web browser.

If I was going to complain about the new interface's assault on all that is good, I'd probably highlight the fact that "Games" is now listed as a secondary, sub-level tab. Which is kind of a worrying indication.

Windows: Improved overlay compatibility with some previously conflicting third party applications
Huh, it's working with minecraft now. And right as the author is heading to Bellevue, WA to meet with an unnamed company.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Aug 20, 2010, 17:48 SBlat

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 17:10:
You aren't going to find UFO ET Gold or the Stronghold collection for those prices anywhere else (digital download-wise), for example.

Many big titles go on sale there before anywhere else, including Steam. Personally, I love GG.

Yeah, but Steam did have UFO ET Gold for 50% off during the summer sale, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper still during the next big cumulative sale, even if it isn't ever going to be picked out specifically for a weekend sale. More importantly, Steam doesn't appear to include starforce like the GG version. That's my main reason for avoiding GG. Too many of their games include more DRM than anywhere else.

On the other hand, I don't doubt that Stronghold will be cheaper elsewhere someday -- it's carried by all the DD services and is a pretty big name, the sort of thing Steam could offer as a weekend deal -- but nowhere else advertises it as being DRM Free. It's one of the rare titles where GG actually seems to have less DRM than anywhere else, or at least has gone to the effort of noting it.

News Comments > Mafia with Mafia II Preorders
9. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 17:15 SBlat

Ecthelion wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:16:
I meant the included version of Mafia 1, not Mafia 2. I know Mafia 2 needs Steam regardless of where you buy it, which I said in my previous post.

I'd guess it does use Steam. They don't actually have Mafia 1 for sale on their site, the page just has the logo for Mafia 2. Also they promise to let you "play Mafia 1 now", which isn't something D2D usually does -- unlike Steam they have no way of disabling the free game if the preorder doesn't pan out.

So I imagine they're just piggybacking on Steam's offer of Mafia 1. Maybe with special pre-order codes, or maybe they provide your Mafia 2 code immediately and any copy activated on Steam before release gets a free copy of Mafia 1.

Seems like handling cancellations of the multi-service pre-order would be a huge pain, but from googling it looks like D2D maybe doesn't accept cancellations on any preorders.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Aug 20, 2010, 17:05 SBlat

Grifter wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 16:29:
gamersgate sucks

Yeah, they like to claim MSRP-drops as huge sales, 3 months after everybody else implemented them.

Not to mention the Spellforce selection. You can buy Spellforce 2 Gold (SF2 + expansion) and Spellforce Platinum (SF1 + all expansions) for $10 total, or you can buy them as a bundle for $15! Or you can buy the 5 parts individually for $7.50 each

Still, The Stronghold Collection for $7.50 is attractive. DRM-Free unlike any of the other download places advertising it, so it's maybe worth dealing with GamersGate's crappy downloader. And the retail box doesn't look like it's going to be dropping from $30 any time soon. Crusader is the sort of game you want the installer sitting around on your hard drive, just in case you're ever at a LAN party, and I wouldn't mind trying out some of the later ones I skipped. Maybe with Stronghold 3 on its way I should wait for bigger sales, though. I do have quite a backlog.

News Comments > On Elemental's DRM
4. Re: On Elemental's DRM Jul 1, 2010, 22:30 SBlat

Well, that plus Stardock requires that you (permanently?) associate your game's serial with an online account if you want bugfixes, and those patched versions usually add online activation. Plus they've started requiring you to register your serial with and log in to that same online account system as a requirement for multiplayer games, too.

But they don't call it DRM.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 27, 2010, 23:39 SBlat

Impulse has a bunch of games on sale for the weekend, too. Including Sins of a Solar Empire dropping down to $4 (80% off) from this last week's sale of $10 (50%), and a whole bunch of bundles from various publishers.

I'm eyeing the Need For Speed bundle, with $25 already being a decent price for Shift alone, but I'm not sure if the other two games are enough to make it a really great deal. And with the backlog of games I have, it's a lot harder to jump on something that's not too exciting or too great of a deal.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 25, 2010, 22:15 SBlat

Caster is having a pay what you want sale. Definitely worth getting, it's a great little action game.

Just scroll down to the "Donate" box to take advantage of the sale. Available for Win/Mac/Linux, ends Monday the 31st.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle Gift
4. Re: Humble Indie Bundle Gift May 9, 2010, 23:57 SBlat

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 9, 2010, 20:42:
It's been said before, but you should consider that the average windows user has probably paid $200-$400 more for their computer, on operating system cost alone. Not the best excuse, but probably valid.

I imagine most Windows users are using the pre-installed copy that came with their computer, and that most Linux users probably use pre-built computers and payed for a non-optional copy of windows too, even amongst the Linux gamers who would be most drawn to this bundle.

But another potential factor is windows users have had many of these games available at cheap prices (including a pay-what-you-want sale on World of Goo) many times already, meaning that many more Windows users will be viewing the pack as a partial rebuy than is the case for Linux/Mac users.

More importantly, the count seems to be based off of allowing users to optionally choose, post-purchase, which OS to be counted as, defaulting to Windows (or does it default to the OS reported in the User-Agent string?). If someone is being a cheap-skate, they're much less likely to ask to be sure their contribution is counted for the correct OS than if they are being especially generous and trying to make a statement.

News Comments > Men of War Patch
1. Re: Men of War Patch Apr 18, 2010, 20:27 SBlat

Is Men of War one of those games that just doesn't receive support on Steam? It looks like my Steam version is still 1.11.3, from 2009-04-03. And this 1.17.5 patch is an incremental patch from a version 1.16.4... so I guess the chances of it coming to Steam aren't great.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 13, 2010, 22:10 SBlat

There's also a Commandos Collection bundle on Steam for $5 as part of the midweek sale with AvP Classic 2000. It's not listed as a special, and doesn't have a pre-discount price, but it does have a "Midweek Madness" banner on the front page, and I think they've created the bundle specially for the sale. It will probably disappear at the end of the sale, like other sale bundles they've created before (though I think those usually have a made-up pre-sale price listed).

Prez wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 21:02:
I think I will easily spend more than $75 in a month of sales. D2D has had some fantastic sales in the last 18 months beginning with their 5 year anniversary sales.

As an extra bonus, I found that no-cd fixes work flawlessly with their games, which makes all of the mods work perfectly.

No-cd fixes from retail versions seem to work with nearly all the download services. Useful if you don't want to wait for Steam to login just to play a game, or jump through activation hoops for a D2D game.

168 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo