Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Smith

Real Name John Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SBlat
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2009, 18:16
Total Comments 168 (Novice)
User ID 54883

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Pick Your Own World of Goo Price
5. Re: Pick Your Own World of Goo Price Oct 13, 2009, 14:05 SBlat

No game is worth the hassle of rearranging icons and widgets after every time I play it.

Wow, that sucks. It never reset my desktop, even when starting in its default resolution, but I know how annoying that can be. If you like inventiveness though, this is definitely a game worth working on getting going.

Like Jim says, you can set a different resolution in the config files (properties/config.txt). But on some resolutions (like my native 1920x1200) the game doesn't quite scale right (the level name text in the main menu is half off-screen, the level end pull-cord is barely on-screen, etc). I think the latest 1.30 patch fixed that, but nobody at Steam ever got around to sticking it on their servers. Still, 1920x1080 in the Steam version does work, and isn't much different from 1920x1200.

But with this offer you can pick up the latest version, DRM-free, with Mac and Linux versions too, for whatever you think is reasonable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2009, 15:22 SBlat

On the more successful side, on this date in 1967 the Outer Space Treaty

Haha, right after reading this, I saw this. If you were referencing those concerns, that was one obscure joke!

News Comments > Zeno Clash Postmortem
2. Re: Zeno Clash Postmortem Oct 9, 2009, 11:57 SBlat

Bookmarked until after I finish the game. Don't want to find any spoilers

I am annoyed the Xbox release will have exclusive content, but still...
It might not stay exclusive, at least not forever.

News Comments > WRC Announced
1. Re: WRC Announced Oct 2, 2009, 11:43 SBlat

I don't think those are screenshots. Even if Black Bean had a graphics engine that good, I doubt they'd deliberately try to emulate the purple fringing of a cheap digital camera.

Also, aren't they the company that made that superstars V8 car game? I guess that means that when they say "most realistic" they mean it will look pretty. But I really doubt as good as those "screenshots"

News Comments > Free Strange Adventures in Infinite Space
6. Re: Free Strange Adventures in Infinite Space Sep 29, 2009, 19:55 SBlat

Cool! They also released the source code a few years ago but not the data files, so that's pretty cool of them to release these too now.  

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
9. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Sep 29, 2009, 16:35 SBlat

Direct2Drive you have to download the game files, unzip them so you can use them, then install them, manually type in a CD key, then when the game starts you need to type in a code/CD key before the game will work. Then you can play the game.

I bought Riddick too, and you forgot a step in the middle there. Find and download the patch which isn't linked to on the D2D Riddick page (they sometimes mention patches on the game's pages, but not this time), isn't listed on the D2D patch page, isn't pre-applied to the download, and AOL's Big Download's update about the patch being posted was the only mention Google could find that the regular patch happened to be compatible with the Direct2Drive version too.

Of course, there was one other step in there for me too, involving googling gamefix and downloading another zip file to avoid having to type in my cd key and use up one of my 3 unrevocable activations.

News Comments > Who Owns Planescape: Torment?
1. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 11:19 SBlat

GameTap have had the game on their service in the post-Interplay period and they always listed it (and BG, etc.) as a Sierra title. But on June 15th they listed it as one of the games that changed hands in the Activision-Blizzard-Vivendi merger, and that they no longer have rights to. So presumably it isn't Sierra anymore.  

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Free Weekend Underway
6. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Free Weekend Und Sep 18, 2009, 13:23 SBlat

Can we play UT3 mods with this? And what mods are good out there?

Yeah, just make sure you have lots of room on C:, because it installs them to your My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder. And you might have to alter the shortcuts the mods have to point at the UT executable inside the steam folder. The Haunted, The Ball, and Prometheus all seem to be mentioned a lot. And there's the Make Something Unreal contest to point at other mods/maps/mutators/whatever.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Sep 18, 2009, 12:28 SBlat

Saints Row 2 ... didn't see ANY patches for it...
That's because it's a Steam game (even if you buy it from D2D or in a box), so there are no downloadable patches, since they're all served up by Steam. It's still buggy even with those patches, and Volition/THQ announced some time ago that they were giving up on the PC version, but it's still worth $5. If you have anyone else to play it with, coop is easily worth the $10 for two copies. It's mainly performance problems anyway, and it's still fun even on lower (than they should have to be on this computer) graphics settings. But you know, expect a $5 game: super fun, lots of laughs, but very poor programming. Just pretend it's Russian.

The XBox360 version is apparently better, and has more patches and even DLC available, but I doubt you could find it for $5, even if you own an XBox360.

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Demo
3. Re: NFS: SHIFT Demo Sep 18, 2009, 11:30 SBlat

That was unexpectedly fast! And it sounds like they're working on a patch for the full game too, judging by the improvements that are apparently in this demo (mouse control in the menus, etc.). Though I suppose that's also proof that they did have to do something of a rushjob at the end to meet their deadlines.

I look forward to trying this out later today. It's sounding from reviews and comments like it didn't turn out to be the hardcore-sim-but-with-great-graphics the devs (but not the EA producers) promised, not at all, but is the closest thing we PC gamers can get to the career games like GT and Forza. I wouldn't mind a good "casual sim", I wouldn't even mind an old "bounce off the walls to corner" NFS game, but I just don't like the games that make too many compromises on both the fun and realistic aspects at the same time, since that doesn't leave much to enjoy. But nearly every commenter on this game who mentions GRID says this game doesn't have handling anywhere near as uncomfortably weird, even if it does have quirks, so that's encouraging.

Still, I'm glad to have a chance to try the demo before deciding whether to purchase or not.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Sep 18, 2009, 11:08 SBlat

Is the first chapter of the new Monkey Island going to be listed on here on Saturday?
Looks like Trine has been dropped to $20 on Steam too, now. I think that's the fastest I've seen the DD companies match retail prices, though Trine did have a lot of pressure on it about its price.

I got Chronicles of Riddick from D2D. Lots of fun for $5, and the price is low enough that I'm willing to take my chances with the massive amounts of DRM the game has. And if/when I reach my fourth reinstall, it won't be too hard to subvert the activation.

Oh, it's not listed, but what's up with the Jedi Knight bundle on D2D? Only 3 games to Steam's 5? Sure the missing ones have the most complaints about not working very well, but still. And at some point it's going to stop being "on sale" and cost exactly the same as the steam bundle!

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 Free Weekend
2. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Free Weekend Sep 16, 2009, 21:09 SBlat

The demo's a big one at 50 MB
From the 1999 news story. I suppose it must have taken me 5+ hours to get it back then.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed SHIFT
15. Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Ships Sep 15, 2009, 16:38 SBlat

NFS has traffic, it has A to B tracks.
didnt they say a year ago that the Burnout team was taking over
Yeah, there's a new "real" NFS coming out from the Burnout team, but that one is still at least another year away. There's also a free to play MMO early next year and a pure arcade racer on the Wii later this year. This is sort of like a trial balloon for a new series to compete with the more sim-like games. I won't be surprised if (if it sells well) there's a Shift 2 in the same way as there's a Modern Warfare 2.

It'll probably play like Mariokart.
Mariokart is at least fun. My worry is it will be like GRID. That's why I'm waiting for reviews (and virtualr.net says there's a PC demo coming out, though I don't know what their source for that is).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Need for Speed SHIFT
8. Re: Need for Speed SHIFT Ships Sep 15, 2009, 13:15 SBlat

You've seen the racers we have on the PC, right?
Who do you think made those racers?

(The dev studio are the main devs for GTR1, GT Legends, and GTR2, and the physics are by the same guy who did the physics for Richard Burns Rally)

Yeah, it's obviously going to be arcadey and everything, and hitting a wall isn't going to do much more than add a few seconds to your lap time, but I'm curious to see how the no-assists "sim" mode turns out all the same. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews of this from sim fans.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 13:18.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Sep 14, 2009, 23:11 SBlat

I tend to misplace the cd-keys needed to install it but a email or 2 later I can have them sent to me.

Isn't the "Send Info" button next to each game on your account page an automatic way to do that?

Anyone compare the PC version of Saints Row 2 to the Xbox version?

I've heard that the XBox360 version isn't somewhat buggy and horribly unperformant. That would be a difference from the PC version. It also has had more than one patch and even some DLC released for it, which would be another difference to the officially abandoned PC port. I really hope Volition decide to pay more attention to the PC with Red Faction 3, and not just abandon it again after the reviews start to hit. Because SR2 is actually really fun, and the bugs and lag aren't too annoying, but it's probably better to get it on the xbox if that option is available to you.
Sure the PC has a mouse, but you need to keep switching to a joypad to drive since they apparently didn't spend anytime tweaking the controls for digital (WASD) steering (you go full left or full right, instantly). And as further proof of their poor porting, to move left and right in the menus you have to use CTRL and SHIFT or A and D but then the up arrow and down arrow to move up and down. Coop is a blast though.

Oh, and it's a steam game, if that matters to you. Even if you buy it from D2D or retail, you still have to enter the code into Steam and play it through the Steam client.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Trine
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Trine Sep 10, 2009, 13:11 SBlat

I think pretty much every retailer has ignored the suggestion and priced it at $19.99, which is much more reasonable. But does anyone know what the DRM/activation situation is with the retail copy?  

News Comments > APB Beta in Weeks
3. Re: APB Beta in Weeks Sep 8, 2009, 13:31 SBlat

Isn't this game considered the MMO version of GTA?

The company making it was founded by David Jones, the same guy who founded DMA. They created GTA while he was still there, pre-Rockstar. Lemmings too, for that matter.

News Comments > On Sale
23. Re: On Sale Sep 7, 2009, 16:37 SBlat

How's D2D work?

(unlimited) HTTP downloads of a per-game installer which has built-in authorization/activation (and can do offline activation also). I'm not sure how many times they allow you to install a game. You don't need to run any sort of client to install or play the game. However, you usually need D2D-specific patches which can take a long time to become available (but that isn't too important for a game old enough to be unlikely to receive further patches). Sometimes mods don't work with D2D versions, but that should be easy enough to research for KOTOR before buying.

They also have DRM-free games (marked with a logo in the description; KOTOR isn't one of them) which are nothing but a regular no-activation game installer download, but that's mainly for indie games. I haven't actually tried any of the D2D-DRM-protected titles before, only the DRM-free games, and they work very well.

Also it looks like you have some time to decide. You need to sign up for The Old Republic's site before the 15th, but they won't send the coupon until the 18th. And then it won't expire until October 15th.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Sep 4, 2009, 15:05 SBlat

I've never bought from gamersgate. Does it give you a steam code? I really want to get Civ IV complete at that price.

No, it's its own thing. My understanding is you get a link to a stand-alone installer which requires your GG username/password for authentication/activation before installing. Civ 4 isn't one of the games you can enter a retail key into steam and get it added, either.

$16 would be a steal if that were really Civ IV Complete, but apparently it's an older one with no Colonization. They mention colonization as included in the brief blurb on the page, but it isn't included in the detailed list of contents and the box photo is of the old non-Colonization pack, and people who've purchased it have reported that it doesn't contain Colonization. That older Civ IV "complete" pack is about $15 from amazon sellers, so you aren't really saving much, especially if you want a paper manual or research chart.

Though I guess you could try buying it and then demand they give you a free copy of Colonization too, since it does say on the page "Civilization IV: The Complete Edition includes the original strategy classic, plus all two expansion packs and the standalone game Colonization in one box, for an incredible value." But that looks like it's the result of lazy copy-and-pasting when adding the blurb.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - AaaaaA!
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - AaaaaA! Sep 3, 2009, 15:15 SBlat

Is it me or does it feel like this game is "launching" every other month?

There was a prerelease demo a while back, and then various stores added preorders with special offers, one at a time. Those are probably the announcements you remember.

Still not unlocked on Steam yet

168 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo