Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Graham

Real Name Graham   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Graham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Don't hate the game. Hate the hater.
Homepage http://spacecaptainisawesome.ca
Signed On Apr 4, 2009, 18:55
Total Comments 172 (Novice)
User ID 54873

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 13:25 Graham

There's this guy on the internet. He runs a site where he finds links to all of the news actually worth reading about the games that I like, and he puts them in a list. It's a totally OG Internet site, and I've been visiting it for years. I don't know this guy...

...but I'm still sitting at work choked up to hear about his dog passing away.

Blue, hopefully it will help to know that Hudson didn't just bring happiness to you, but to some of us as well. Sorry for your loss.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
31. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 13:23 Graham

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 12:53:
So how does it look/run on a $500 video card then?

Fixed that for you.

Talk about not understanding what a target audience is!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 8, 2013, 14:50 Graham

Cutter wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 14:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 11:27:
*Waits for Cutter's inevitable comments*

EDIT:
Cutter bait:

“When there’s an article about us, there’s always one person who’s like, ‘IT’S A SCAM,’” he confessed.

Fools and their money are soon parted.

Explains why you're so bitter, mate, you must be flat broke!

wah-wah.

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
7. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 14:35 Graham

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:10:
How about getting the client up to date first? Remove the bloat, streamline it, make it faster, an offline mode that works, etc.

Yup, let's take the hardware guys and get them working on software. That'll do it!

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 18:12 Graham

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 16:27:
Why do you think I've always said, "Google is not your friend."

Mostly because you hate everything. Even a broken clock, etc.

Just joshin' ya, Cut. You're right on this one.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 15:48 Graham

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 12:36:

Whatever, don't take my word for it. But when the rubber hits the road you just remember who called it.

And what kind of crow do we get to watch you eat if you're wrong?

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 15:44 Graham

NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:37:
Graham wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:23:

They hit $20-million long ago, why keep pouring fake funding in?

Long ago? You mean just over 2 weeks ago?

Sorry, but crowdfunded stuff like this follows a particular funding pattern. You don't rake in a consistent million bucks a week just off random Internet donations months after your campaign begins.

I was unaware you had a degree in crowd funding economics. You have such a rich history of projects to draw from!

Maybe this is happening for the first time because it's happening for the first time? I love the idea that "this has to be fake because crowd funding just doesn't work this way..." The logic is so circular you could use it as a ball bearing.

9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 20:23 Graham

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:10:
Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:05:
There is no way money just keeps rolling in like this like it was clockwork. I smell something here and it ain't roses.

I have also had a suspicion for quite a long time that maybe Roberts himself and his brother and maybe some other ex-Origin guys who got rich back in the day or rich friends of Roberts from the movie industry are responsible for the majority of the funding.

As we know Roberts has always been planning on a US$20+ million game from the beginning with one part coming from crowdfunding and another from investors.
There is definitely a possibility here that the plot is to keep the money from crowdfunding coming in but that in reality it's more like US$ 8 to 10 million from the crowd and the other US$10+ million from "investors" (= Roberts himself + friends and family).

No one is ever going to be able to do a head count and check whether the sum total really reflects the accumulated individual pledges or what number of alpha slots are really taken.
And thanks to the instancing system (about 50 players max per instance) no one is ever going to be able to estimate the number of players online.
It would be fairly easy for Roberts to pull off some tricks to inflate the crowdfunding numbers for more publicity and to keep up the momentum.

On the other hand it is perfectly possible that there are in fact that many nutters out there. Remember WoW. Before it was released everyone thought it was going to be one big fail in an already oversaturated MMORPG market. And the rest is history as they say.

They hit $20-million long ago, why keep pouring fake funding in?
What's the point of the ruse? Wouldn't this run afoul of tax laws?

Doesn't Occam's razor point to the fact that people just want to play this game? Is it that unimaginable that around two hundred thousand people want to see this genre back from the dead and treated with respect?

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 20:00 Graham

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:05:
There is no way money just keeps rolling in like this like it was clockwork. I smell something here and it ain't roses.

Have you ever had a positive word to say about this project?

Right now, the current pledge amounts average out to about $90 per person; that's not unreasonable considering you have some of the goons posting about how they're a few grand into the game at this point.

I just don't get the continued skepticism here. They're actively hitting their targets with content releases and still we've got folks like you saying "too good to be true". Can you quantify why, without resorting to "gut feeling" or "this doesn't smell right"?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 14:05 Graham

Fantaz wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 23:39:
I want to play FFVI on my watch... (Galaxy Gear)

Exit's on the left, you can receive your complimentary wedgie at the door.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $20M
31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 12:41 Graham

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 00:17:

Hey, I love space sims as much as the next guy but Roberts has given me a real snakeoil salesman vibe that's only gotten worse.

Can you go into detail as to why you feel this way? What has he done, specifically, that is giving you a "real snakeoil salesman vibe"?

6. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 26, 2013, 19:33 Graham

Ray Marden wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 18:56:
I'm all for this product, but I wish he would stop coming up with new preorder packages and actually work on putting out a product.

But this ship...get your insurance...buy your credits...get this extra benefit...double up...donate...get this variant of the ship you already down...sent many time the game's purchase price for items...
I'm sold. Stop trying to sell me. Don't nickel and dime me.
Wondering if Stephen will have a cameo ,
Ray

Sorry Ray, but if you're actually following Star Citizen at all you'd know that they've been making very strong progress, hitting their deadlines, and actually putting content out. I've got a hangar with my ships in it that I can walk around right now, and I've been getting incredibly solid magazines that flesh out the universe and clearly detail the work they're doing every few months.

What I haven't been getting is ads for pre-ordering new packages; they do a sale every once in a while, but as far as I can tell they're still cruising towards their $23 million dollar goal. They hit $20 million today, so that works. The actual team responsible for maintaining the social/crowdfunding aspects is quite small because everyone else is at work on a triple-A game. Everything they offer for pre-order is something they have to build anyway, so I'm not sure why you'd begrudge them that.

I have no idea why you'd think that it would prevent them from simultaneously creating the game either. Maybe you think Chris is the only guy working on it? Either way, maybe you should head over to the site and do a little more reading, or check out some of the community sites like the /r/starcitizen subreddit.

5. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 26, 2013, 19:29 Graham

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 14:22:
Because publishers are creatively dead pieces of bean-counting shit?

Now that's a little unfair isn't it?

Wait... it's not. Uh... carry on.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 16:42 Graham

They've hit their deliverables so far (including physical deliveries for things like membership cards). I get being skeptical, but I'm feeling comfortable with what they've promised.

Ain't no problem doubting it, but I'm curious what folks who are doubting will say if it does turn out to be everything advertised (and on-time!). It's a big if, but it's always interesting the opinions of former naysayers after a success. Shadowrun Returns was touted as a game that would never make it by some, and yet it's out and it's fun.

/shrug maybe kickstarting IS the future for indie games. And let's face it... an $18 million dollar indie game is a new beast on the market.

News Comments > WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay
5. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 23:55 Graham

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:39:
Yeah, this'll last all of a month.
This seems overly optimistic.

News Comments > Space Hulk Preorders
14. Re: Space Hulk Preorders Jul 27, 2013, 22:44 Graham

Well someone had to buy it, so I've gone ahead and picked a copy up. Fencesitters: I'll let you know when the game launches as to whether you should continue to sit or hop.

It's funny, but I just can't see co-op being the feature that makes or breaks a $30 game based on Space Hulk to me. Maybe I like things too much...

News Comments > Neverwinter Free & Premium Content Next Month
16. Re: Neverwinter Free & Premium Content Next Month Jul 16, 2013, 18:09 Graham

Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 11:55:
Gonna price themselves right out of business.

Going to? Already have. Their microtransactions have nothing micro about them. $20 is the baseline for anything useful.

I'm playing but I'm not buying. A more modest approach to microtransactions would have changed that drastically; I LIKE to support games I enjoy, but I'm not paying $20 for a digital horse.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 13:06 Graham

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:22:
BackscrabbleSoft

Please stop. It's not even remotely witty and detracts from your otherwise valid argument.

News Comments > Dota 2 Rollout Details
31. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 18:41 Graham

This thread seems to consist of two types of replies:

"I play Dota and it's fun!"

"I don't play Dota and don't understand people who do. It's boring and for stupids."

I know which one I'm more inclined to believe.

News Comments > Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support
24. Re: Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support Jun 15, 2013, 23:10 Graham

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:47:
Graham wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:41:
Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 19:05:
ATis cool of them, but seems a little late at this stage of the game doesn't it? Let's face it, visually speaking it's looking a little long in the tooth.

Finding the negative in something uniformly positive? Blue out of ten!

And they didn't do this years ago, why? How is making a salient observation negative. Valve's never had problems doing this stuff from the get-go. Same with other companies. Hell, most of the KS' stuff we're seeing today are coming with editors and mod support from the get-go. I said it was a positive, just a little late in the game for it. Yet, you make it out to be a negative. That's your impression of it, so it says a lot more about you than me.

Chill out, Cutter. I'm just fucking with you. You're way too defensive dude, you should try some video games to blow off some steam.

172 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo